Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Not trying to be a negative Nellie but the fact the car is currently running in no way guarantees you will not have water related problems with it in the future. Water related problems tend to come later as the vehicle ages. That's why insurance companies tend to total them instead of repair them.
Dude, what is your problem?

I told you three times that the car was not totaled due to water damage but body damage. The previous owner has no reason to lie to me since she was bought out of the car two months ago. She loved the car and was eager to help me learn everything about it. She is even sending me the service history.

The car probably got all of a quart of water in it through the sunroof, mostly on the rear seat foot well carpets. The fuel pump fuse probably popped due to running the tank empty and has nothing to do with wet carpet.

I'm sorry if you took my joke the wrong way but get over it.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
So far you have used the words "stupid" and "complete idiot" in replies to me.
Just calling it as I see it. You bought a salvage titled car that was totaled by the insurance company and sold to you for under half of the KBB value. When it stopped running 30 feet from where you purchased it you expected the seller to compensate you in some manner and found fault with BMW quality. That's stupid and, IMO, anyone having done so is an idiot.

Quote:
You really know how to make friends.
I'm not trying to be your friend. I don't want friends who blame everyone else for problems related to their decisions. I want friends who take responsibility for their choices.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Not trying to be a negative Nellie but the fact the car is currently running in no way guarantees you will not have water related problems with it in the future. Water related problems tend to come later as the vehicle ages. That's why insurance companies tend to total them instead of repair them.
I believe I have told you several times that the car was totaled because of the body damage not because of water damage. The car got all of about a quart of water in it, mostly on the rear foot well carpets.

The previous owner was bought out of the car two months ago and has exactly zero reason to lie to me about the extent of water that got in from the smashed sunroof. On the contrary she has been very forthcoming and is even sending me the service history of the car.

She said she "loved" the car and is anxious for me to get her back in shape.

The fuel pump fuse most likely failed because I ran the tank to near empty and perhaps sucked some debris into the screen or filter and pulled too much amperage, much as when you suck a sock into your vacuum cleaner and the motor strains against the blockage.

I guess time will tell if the small amount of water that got into the car will cause any problems, but you seem intent on my impending misfortune.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
The funny thing is that car will probably never encounter a major issue going forward. It'll probably have an engine swap and we'll see it at the strip running 9's a few years from now.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Dude, what is your problem?
I've already explained my "problem".

Quote:
I told you three times that the car was not totaled due to water damage but body damage. The previous owner has no reason to lie to me since she was bought out of the car two months ago. She loved the car and was eager to help me learn everything about it. She is even sending me the service history.

The car probably got all of a quart of water in it through the sunroof, mostly on the rear seat foot well carpets. The fuel pump fuse probably popped due to running the tank empty and has nothing to do with wet carpet.

I'm sorry if you took my joke the wrong way but get over it.
You can say it all you want but the fact the car has a dank, musty smell suggests otherwise. A quart of water wouldn't cause that.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i
Congrats on getting your car running! No fuel pressure is typically not rocket science to troubleshoot, contrary to the comments here otherwise.

Sorry that so many on this board think that buying a BMW qualifies them as electrical/mechanical geniuses. Now that you've got it running and in good shape (contrary to what they said could be done), they're going to find other reasons that you're wrong. (Couldn't be a only quart of water if it smells musty. You must be mistaken. It's gonna die again soon. Just you wait.)

And folks wonder why the public thinks BMW drivers are douches. Only have to read through this thread to find out why.

Happy motoring!

Last edited by dmatre; 02-05-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Just calling it as I see it. You bought a salvage titled car that was totaled by the insurance company and sold to you for under half of the KBB value. When it stopped running 30 feet from where you purchased it you expected the seller to compensate you in some manner and found fault with BMW quality. That's stupid and, IMO, anyone having done so is an idiot.

I'm not trying to be your friend. I don't want friends who blame everyone else for problems related to their decisions. I want friends who take responsibility for their choices.
You must have very little to do.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Congrats on getting your car running! No fuel pressure is typically not rocket science to troubleshoot, contrary to the comments here otherwise.

Sorry that so many on this board think that buying a BMW qualifies them as electrical/mechanical geniuses. Now that you've got it running and in good shape (contrary to what they said could be done), they're going to find other reasons that you're wrong. (Couldn't be a only quart of water if it smells musty. You must be mistaken. It's gonna die again soon. Just you wait.)

And folks wonder why the public thinks BMW drivers are douches. Only have to read through this thread to find out why.

Happy motoring!
Thanks dmatre.

Not all BMW drivers are douches. You are one of the good guys/gals.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
True, the d*****baggery quotient can get fairly high in some instances. Another reminder why free advice on the internet is worth everything you pay for it.

Glad it's running again. Oh, and since no one else seems to have done so (at least in any traditional sense), welcome to the 'fest.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 02-05-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
I believe I have told you several times that the car was totaled because of the body damage not because of water damage. The car got all of about a quart of water in it, mostly on the rear foot well carpets.
Why are you all arguing with BashedB? He gave you an answer which none of us can argue because we don't have access to any of the information, let alone to his information. A tree landed on the car and messed it up. If it damaged the frame of the car (very expensive to fix) then it makes total sense the car was totaled. Remember, totaling a car is something like 80% value of the car.

The water is incidental, and unless the OP states there was damage due to the water we have no basis to assume there is water damage to the car.

Yes the water made the tree heavy and the tree collapsed - hitting the car
Yes some water got into the car, though as far as we know there was no electrical damage caused to the car by said water. The most we could possibly say is there may be some start of rust under the carpet if it was not dried fast enough

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Propellers Up Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Oh, and since no one else seems to have done so (at least in any traditional sense), welcome to the 'fest.
Hey, I said that didn't I?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
Hey, I said that didn't I?
Well, I thought that "I mean some people would like to know if it was indeed the fuel pump and if so welcome you to the club." was kind of conditional.

Ah, OK, fair cop, you did.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Quote:
You must have very little to do.
Except for trolling, I've yet to see this poster say anything constructive.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the welcome to the 'fest everybody!

I'm loving driving my new Bimmer.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 335
congratulations on getting it running...just don't run it empty again. I'd still maybe think about replacing the fuel pump as a preventive measure. It was good that the fuse blew first, though.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome to the 'fest everybody!

I'm loving driving my new Bimmer.
Great job finding the problem. If I didn't own an E39, I'd certainly consider an E90 after meeting so many fine folk that own them.

I almost parted with my car after a pristine 335i coupe became available here in ManchVegas but I likes my old time machine.

It gets the job done.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
congratulations on getting it running...just don't run it empty again. I'd still maybe think about replacing the fuel pump as a preventive measure. It was good that the fuse blew first, though.
Yeah, I wont be dipping under a quarter tank anytime soon. I have thought about replacing the pump but I may wait a month or so to see if the fuse pops again. I have about five of them in the glovebox just in case.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
Great job finding the problem. If I didn't own an E39, I'd certainly consider an E90 after meeting so many fine folk that own them.

I almost parted with my car after a pristine 335i coupe became available here in ManchVegas but I likes my old time machine.

It gets the job done.
Your 530i is a beauty and it hasn't been "Bangled" like the next generation 5 series. Ol' Chris Bangle pretty much kept his mitts off of the E90 3 series (mostly).

Last edited by BashedBarrique; 02-05-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Hofmeister Kink

From what I know (and that ain't much) the E90 was Joji Nakashima's design. As was my car.

We share a common lineage.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
I'm befuddled as to why you continue to say that you believed what the previous owner told you, especially on a salvage titled vehicle, and why you didn't bring it to a shop to get a diagnostic done on it. These seem to be buying used car 101s. I also do not understand why you drove the car down to nearly empty when you knew that the nearest gas station was 20 miles away. Seems to be you wanted to cheap out by not putting a gallon or two when you were test driving it just to save money. Back to believing the owner--the car being damaged more than what the branch did to the sunroof would suggest that the owner didn't take care of the car as well as the owner suggested. If the owner lives 20 miles away from a gas station and has a near empty gas tank, that too is indicative of the level of maintenance the owner probably kept on the car (at least I don't know why people keep tank nearly empty unless they really can't afford the gas, thus car repairs on a bmw). You believed the owner about a BMW battery and brake job? Did you visually check the battery and brakes? If you were told specifically the car did not have water damage, that was a lie since water got in through the sunroof. So you were actually told it did have water damage, just not flood/submersion damage. Two different things.

Ok, off my soap box and the most probable problem: The obvious problem here may not be anything mechanical, but simply air or water in the fuel line/pump, which coincidentally was probably caused by you in running the car to empty and then filling up the tank. You have to understand the gauges are accurate to a certain degree, but not totally accurate. Now you could have fried the pump, too, if you've been trying to turn it over a lot.
I've driven around on empty since I've been driving and I've never (((knock on wood))) had a fuel system issue on any car I've been in charge of; save for the N54 fuel pump problem. Strangely, I've had (2) n54 powered vehicles and only had one one fuel pump replacement when the car had under 1000 miles.

I drive family and passengers bananas. I've even run out of gas more than a few times in my
life including once on the Brooklyn Bridge lol.

I assure you that I can afford gas. I think I just like the cheap thrill of driving on empty...lol.

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 02-06-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Propellers Up Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
I've driven around on empty since I've been driving and I've never (((knock on wood))) had a fuel system issue on any car I've been in charge of; save for the N54 fuel pump problem. Strangely, I've have (2) n54 powered vehicles and only had one one fuel pump replacement when the car had under 1000 miles.

I drive family and passengers bananas. I've even run out of gas more than a few times in my
life including once on the Brooklyn Bridge lol.

I assure you that I can afford gas. I think I just like the cheap thrill of driving on empty...lol.
Interesting.
Why would you live life on the edge like that? It's not even about fuel pumps at that point.
I'm shaking when I get the 31 mile range (final warning I think) on my X or when I hit about 35 in my car. There's like a gas station everywhere, but you never know. Being stranded over an empty gas tank is like so last century.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Interesting.
Why would you live life on the edge like that? It's not even about fuel pumps at that point.
I'm shaking when I get the 31 mile range (final warning I think) on my X or when I hit about 35 in my car. There's like a gas station everywhere, but you never know. Being stranded over an empty gas tank is like so last century.
Dunno. It's probably a reaction formation against my dad who never allowed a car to go below a 1/2 tank of gas? lol

One time I ran out of gas on purpose with my first car which was a z28 and then pulled the fuel filter to show him that it wasn't clogged or dirty. It really wasn't.

He just remarked that I was an idiot (of course he was right, what kind of idiot runs out of gas on purpose?).

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 02-06-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
well, most normal people do not go around on empty if they can afford to put gas in the car. Consider yourself lucky if you have not had any fuel pump/line issues for running your cars on empty.

for me, it's a safety issue to maintain a certain minimum amount of gas in the car: from being able to drive out and away from a situation to not placing myself in undue risk of fuel line issues.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Quote:
Consider yourself lucky if you have not had any fuel pump/line issues for running your cars on empty.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Interesting.
I take that 31 mile range as the first serious wake up. Once the range gets below 20 on start up is when things tend to go exponential. The closest I've ever come to "dry" is when the readout indicated 9 miles to empty on startup and I had about 4 miles to get to my preferred station. Within a half mile of startup that 9 had dropped to 5 and I rolled into the station with 2 showing on the readout. That is the lowest I ever want to be. When I filled the tank, I exceeded the published gas tank capacity spec by nearly 0.75 gal.

Take home lesson: When the car registers 20 miles until empty - Fill the blasted gas tank!

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793