Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
On my Passat, I was running it close to the edge one time, but I know there was a station at my exit (15 miles away with 10 miles left showing). I also knew I had at least a few miles after the "0".

What I didn't know was that my exit would be closed due to an accident, and I would need to go 4 miles to the next exit, and then another 2 miles to the nearest station. I was drafting an 18 wheeler for the bulk of the time on the highway trying to stretch what I had. I had been showing "0" for over 10 miles when I reached the station, and then put 16.2 gallons into a 16.3 gal (nom) tank.

I don't think I'd like to repeat that one.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 02-06-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I didn't intentionally run it that low. This "dealer" is not a typical used car retailer. In fact they are also a salvage yard. It's out in the middle of nowhere because it needs a lot of acreage and has no need of prime retail frontage since it does most of its business with insurance companies and body shops and advertises its cars on line.

On my extended test drive I drove around the area and there was no gas station anywhere nearby or I would have squeezed a couple of gallons into the tank. By the time I made the deal, and drove off, the car was already warning "20 miles to empty". I drove towards the interstate following the GPS and the nearest town was 15 miles away so when I stopped to fill up the computer was saying "4 miles to empty".

I thought I was OK because I filled up and pulled away. I only made it a couple of miles before the fuel pump fuse blew.

I have always heard that it is not good to run the tank down near empty but to be honest I'm a bit like mryakanisachoad, I frequently get my cars near empty. Just too lazy to stop sometimes and I often joke that if you never run your car out of gas you will never really know how much range is left from the gauge.

I have never had a problem before this, except a 1975 Pinto that I clogged a fuel filter and I was not sure if running it near empty was really the cause or not.

I will certainly be careful with this car from now on.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
I was drafting an 18 wheeler for the bulk of the time on the highway trying to stretch what I had.

That must have been a wild nerve wrecking ride!
I draft 18 wheelers quite often just for fun.
I've never seen a 10 mile or below range on my bimmers, the lowest was I think 11 at fill up. I really try to respect the fuel reserve light as it lights up around 50 miles.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E92 335ix, '13 S4
Bashed.....sounds like your newly acquired 3 is going to be a handful.

Couple of things....first, I can empathize with your situation, for many reasons. Mainly, I've been where you're at before. I've bought salvaged cars. Unless you're an expert in bringing them back to life, regardless of the reason they were salvaged to begin with, is at best a crap shoot. Add to that, it's a german marque that is costly to repair from the start.

There are a couple of things that are being thrown around that are mistakes, easy mistakes to make, but mistakes nonetheless.

First, insurance companies don't salvage cars because they have water damage, or had a tree limb fall on them, etc. They become salvage for one reason, and one reason only. The insurance company would have to pay more to fix it than the car is worth. That's it. There are no other reasons.

So, you may have been told by someone that it only had a tree branch fall on it, and that only a little water got inside. But, the fact is, whatever is wrong with the car (and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the salvage yard, as well as the previous owner, wasn't being totally forthright with you) it costs more to fix than the car is worth. It also wouldn't surprise me if the car was involved in a flood. Understand, the salvage yard wants you to drive that car off the lot as the owner, once you sign a check over to them. After that, they owe you nothing. So, it's no surprise they were not real happy about helping you once you drove off. The car was sold to you, "as is-where is". Somewhere in your paperwork it will state something to the effect..."no warranties are given nor implied with the purchase of this vehicle...." or something like that.

You state the previous owner has no reason to lie about the car. She also has no reason to tell you the truth about it, either. At the very least, she has been contacted by the salvage yard, would be my guess. Could be something as simple as the salvage yard telling her they'd throw her a Benjamin is she minimizes the actual story of how the car came to be in the condition it's in. Again, we don't know.

We're just guessing what might be wrong with the car. But, what it sounds like to me is that there was water in the gas tank. Gas is heavier than water. So, if it has been sitting for awhile, the gas in the tank separated from the water. Once you put more gas in the tank, the water was mixed with the gas and you ended up with a non-runnign vehicle once you tried to drive away.

Since we don't know how much water actually was in this car (I'm betting it was a lot more than just a quart in the back seat), it's hard to tell what kind of damage is involved. We do know that it was enough damage that the insurance company wouldn't fix it. And, that the damage was/is much more than cosmetic.

Best of luck. This is like a riddle. Once you decide to dig in, I'd like to hear what you find.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
@BashedBarrique: I just picked up my '09 328xi Monday and am loving it, hope you enjoy yours. I, too, got a similar welcome but, as a user said, you get what you pay for on the internet...
Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Princeton

Mein Auto: 2008 335cxi
Gasoline is lighter than water - 6lb/gallon vs. 8lb/gallon. It floats.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
Gasoline is lighter than water - 6lb/gallon vs. 8lb/gallon. It floats.
You're right.

What I meant was, the gas was separated from the water until the OP put the "new" gas in the tank at the gas station, mixing the water with the gas (at least temporarily) causing the engine failure since water was in the gas.

Still feel this car has a lot more water damage than just "a quart in the back seat floor board" as the previous owner and/or the salvage yard stated.

I've tackled 3 salvage car restorations in the past. None of them were worth the hassle. And, all of them had much more damage than I initially thought when I bought them. Salvage cars are only worth it if you can buy them dirt cheap (much less than 50% off KBB) and have the time to do all of the labor yourself. Parts are killer expensive on BMWs. Even doing all of the labor yourself, it's going to be tough to make any money on it. Best thing to do is to restore it and keep it, with the understanding you'll never resell it and make any money.

Insurance companies are good at what they do. They aren't benevolent, giving someone a "deal". Since this car was labeled salvage, it has a lot of damage, whether you can see it or not. The more you dig, the more you'll find.

Understand the reason the salvage yard didn't restore the car was because it was going to cost more than the car was worth, too. They bought it from the insurance company cheap, thinking the same thing as you...."we can restore this and make some good money...or, we can buy it and part it out and make some good money." They probably already know what's wrong with it once they dug into it a little. They decided they couldn't even part it out and make enough money on it.

Since they sold it whole, they wanted to get out of the car as quickly as possible. They made some money on it selling it to you. You're hoping to get something worth driving around for awhile.

Nothing wrong with that. But, I wouldn't view this car as something you're going to restore and make money on.

Last edited by graphicguy; 02-07-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
Except for trolling, I've yet to see this poster say anything constructive.
Saying someone is trolling is nothing more than a cop out. People use it when they have nothing of substance to say. It's almost the equivalent of pointing out spelling and grammar errors.

With that said I've provided a lot of good information on this site which has helped a number of people.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Why are you all arguing with BashedB? He gave you an answer which none of us can argue because we don't have access to any of the information, let alone to his information. A tree landed on the car and messed it up. If it damaged the frame of the car (very expensive to fix) then it makes total sense the car was totaled. Remember, totaling a car is something like 80% value of the car.

The water is incidental, and unless the OP states there was damage due to the water we have no basis to assume there is water damage to the car.

Yes the water made the tree heavy and the tree collapsed - hitting the car
Yes some water got into the car, though as far as we know there was no electrical damage caused to the car by said water. The most we could possibly say is there may be some start of rust under the carpet if it was not dried fast enough
My issue is his expectation the seller owed him some kind of compensation because this car stopped functioning 30 feet from where he purchased it. It was totaled by the insurance company, was sold with a salvage title, and purchased for less than half of the price given in KBB. All signs this car was a risk and would likely need work. Unless the seller offered some form of guarantee, which I highly doubt, it was sold "as-is". He even went on to say (see post number 60):

"Salvage title cars that have been repaired properly typically go for a discount but not half. Try and find a late model BMW that has been repaired to proper specs and in good condition for half price.

You won't."

Given all of this it's obvious to anyone this car had risk and anyone buying it should understand as much. Yet he bought it and then expected the seller to fix it..all because it died within 30 feet. Put yourself in the sellers shoes...how would you feel if you sold someone this car as-is and they threatened you unless you compensated them? His expectation is unreasonable.

Last edited by sunny5280; 02-07-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post
Bashed.....sounds like your newly acquired 3 is going to be a handful...

Best of luck. This is like a riddle. Once you decide to dig in, I'd like to hear what you find.
Thanks for the insights graphicguy. So far it a has cost me some time and a 30 cent fuse. The roof may turn out to be dented in more than can be banged out and filled. If so I can buy a roof panel, complete with sunroof and mechanism, from a salvage yard for $650. It is a rather complicated affair to cut out the old one and weld in the new one, but nothing I can't handle.

The hood has an area that is wrinkled and I'm relatively certain that I can straighten it and fill it. If not there is a replacement galvanized hood available on line for $150. The passenger side fender has a minor ding that I am certain can be pulled and a bit of filler used to smooth it.

All three areas will then need paint. I can do automotive paint but will probably contract that part out to a shop experienced in BMW finishes as I want the results to be undetectable. It may cost me around $1,000 for this level of craftsmanship, since the area is less than one third of the total area of the car but the process can take many hours to complete correctly.

I have no doubt that the insurance company added up what this work would cost at a BMW dealer and then considered that the car also had some unknown amount of water that entered through the broken out sunroof and decided to total the car.

I know I am taking a risk, but with out risk their is no reward. Even if I had purchased the car with no damage I would be taking a risk buying a 7 year old car with 78,000 miles. As I said I got it for less than half of Kelly Blue Book value. Even if it costs me over six thousand dollars to restore I will be ahead of the game, at least financially.

As for my time? I enjoy doing this kind of work and I'm excited to get started.

Now, would I recommend buying a salvaged car to your typical car owner? Probably not, especially if you planned to make it your daily driver immediately. I own three other working vehicles so if she has a seizure I will roll her into the garage and fix her. I have over thirty years experience, both mechanical and body work, so I'm not the slightest bit worried what is to come.

As I said, so far it has cost me 30 cents and an hour or so of work. She is running great with no indicator lights or other issues at the moment. I'll post some photos to show that the car even looks pretty good (from a distance) and is not damaged so badly that it will require a body jig or other equipment that I don't have, except for the aforementioned painting facilities (down draft spray booth etc.).

I'm going to start a restoration thread for my injured little beauty so I can keep anyone that's interested informed of my progress.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
I know I am taking a risk, but with out risk their is no reward. Even if I had purchased the car with no damage I would be taking a risk buying a 7 year old car with 78,000 miles. As I said I got it for less than half of Kelly Blue Book value. Even if it costs me over six thousand dollars to restore I will be ahead of the game, at least financially.
My issue is not that you've taken a risk but rather you took a risk and then expected some kind of compensation from the seller when you ended up on the losing side of that risk. I wish you all the best with this car...I really do. Just realize if there are problems you took a risk and don't blame others.

Last edited by sunny5280; 02-07-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
My issue is his expectation the seller owed him some kind of compensation because this car stopped functioning 30 feet from where he purchased it.

Yet he bought it and then expected the seller to fix it..all because it died within 30 feet. Put yourself in the sellers shoes...how would you feel if you sold someone this car as-is and they threatened you unless you compensated them? His expectation is unreasonable.
Look Sunnyboy, I'm going to answer you one more time only (why I don't know).

I didn't expect the dealer to "compensate" me or "fix it". I asked them to get me off the side of a mountain road when the car they had assured me was drivable made it less than 20 miles. I "threatened" to stop payment on my partial payment check because the car was not as they had claimed it to be.

The dealer eventually agreed that helping me was their responsibility and sent a mechanic. I had already been helped off the side of the road by two people that lived where the car died or they would have sent one of the multiple wreckers they owned to assist me.

Quote:
Put yourself in the sellers shoes...how would you feel if you sold someone this car as-is and they threatened you unless you compensated them? His expectation is unreasonable.
I once sold an old Chrysler minivan to a young man for $800 after I bought it for $200 and got it running for another $200. I found out from a friend that the engine died four months later. I suspected that the young man had run the engine out of oil, since I had told him it had a leaking rear seal and needed a quart of oil about every thousand miles and I knew that he drove it many miles to work and back.

I called him and he said that when it seized he pulled over and indeed it was out of oil. I told him I would go with him to a salvage yard and buy an engine for the van and help him install it in my garage if he was up to the challenge.

He said yes, and we went to a local salvage yard and pulled a newer engine from a Chrysler La Baron and over the next three weekends installed it in the van. The van ran for two more years before the transmission went and he decided to sell it "as is" for $200 on Craigslist, which he easily got because the body and interior were still in very good condition.

So I know exactly how "I would feel" if I told someone that was coming from 500 miles away that the car was in good mechanical condition and then the car didn't run for 20 miles and stranded the guy on the side of a mountain. I would feel bad and take some responsibility to at least help the guy off of the road.

You apparently would tell the guy to "take responsibility for his own actions" and get all pissy with him, perhaps calling him a "complete idiot" and "stupid".

That is why I would never do business with you nor will I bother to answer any more of your moralistic drivel.

You have gone on and on about this. I am quite aware of your opinion. You have also repeatedly insulted me.

Get a life.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
My issue is not that you've taken a risk but rather you took a risk and then expected some kind of compensation from the seller when you ended up on the losing side of that risk. I wish you all the best with this car...I really do. Just realize if there are problems you took a risk and don't blame others.
Let it go already man....you've re-stated your opinion many times - we get it. Let's move on and hope the experience BashedBarrique has going forward is better and he can revive his Bimmer back to its former state.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 AM

Bashed....Good luck man! You've got the right attitude about it. You know, as many issues I had with my restorations, as many times as I wanted to call a wrecker to come push my restorations off a cliff, as much money as I could have used to sock away instead of using on the cars, when I finished, I was extremely proud.

I've never restored a BMW. But, if i (we) can help, post the question in your new thread. I'll be watching (and hopefully, helping)!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM

Here are some photos of the car, if anyone is interested.

Like I said, at a casual glance the only give away is the black plastic over the broken sunroof glass.

I'm pretty proud of her even with her feathers a bit ruffled.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I didn't expect the dealer to "compensate" me or "fix it". I asked them to get me off the side of a mountain road when the car they had assured me was drivable made it less than 20 miles. I "threatened" to stop payment on my partial payment check because the car was not as they had claimed it to be.
The fact you threatened to stop payment on your check unless they did something means you expected some form of compensation. I can understand asking them for help getting the car off the side of the road. It never hurts to ask and I see nothing wrong with your having done that. What I'm trying to understand is what else you wanted from them to warrant threatening to stop payment on your check? You have yet to answer this so I have no choice but to assume it was unresonable.

As for what they claimed it to be what did they claim it to be? Did they claim it to be something other than an insurance totaled car with a salvage title that was sold for less than half of the KBB? This wasn't a run of the mill "as-is" sale. This was a vehicle that was sold specifically with the understanding it carried a high risk.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 AM

Darn it! They didn't post. Let's try this.

https://webmail.iu.edu/horde/imp/vie...2e31c3f9aa9ae7
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Princeton

Mein Auto: 2008 335cxi
Still no joy on the pics...
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 AM

Let's try this.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Let's try this.

No go...anything with that "webmail.iu.edu" requires login
Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM

Luckily I'm better with cars than computers!

I'll try and do it for the wife's ipad that I used to take the photos.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 AM

Here goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	361186  
Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 AM

Hmm
I uploaded 6 photos but only one posted. Maybe you have to do one at a time?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 AM

Here's another.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	361187  
Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Here's another.
You have to choose 6 files at once in the slots under "Manage Attachments" and click upload to upload them all