Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-22-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW x3 328
Car soap and other cleaning products

What's a great X3 soap, wax, drying cloth, etc. that you can recommend and have personally use? Can you please provide me with a link or website for me to check out the product further?

Thanks!
Kris

krisjohnsonbmw@gmail.com
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
I use Maguire's soap, but don't think there is anything special about it. I really don't believe there is anything special about any car wash soap. Just don't use a harsh detergent that will remove your wax more quickly.

I have used a california water blade to remove most of the rinse water after washing. I also use microfiber towels to final dry.

I never use a wax that has a cleaner in it. NEVER. Paste wax only. I happen to like Mother's. I'm very old school when it comes to wax.

I use the same paste wax on my wheels, both inside and out. I'm a nut when it comes to wheels.

I also clay bar the finish a couple of times per year.....love it.

Good luck with your X3
Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BMWX3 View Post
What's a great X3 soap, wax, drying cloth, etc. that you can recommend and have personally use? Can you please provide me with a link or website for me to check out the product further?

Thanks!
Kris

krisjohnsonbmw@gmail.com
Don't use any liquid dishwashing soap, as it will strip the wax.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
I use cleaning and wax products from Griots
In garage - 2013 X3 x28i, Sport Activity, Convenience, Cold Weather I, and Premium Packages, Rear View Camera, Park Distance Control, Sat Radio, BMW Assist w/ Enhanced Bluetooth. Black Sapphire with Black Nevada seats.

Previous BMW's
2007 525i - Totaled -->http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=664410
2008 535i - Traded in
2009 535i - Totaled
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I use Zaino with great results. Recommended by detailers as well:

http://www.zainostore.com/
Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
This is a wide open question and will come with many different answers.

Soap - Meguiar's Gold Class, best bang for the buck if you can get it from Costco
Wax - Zaino seems to last a long time, Poorboy's sealant is great
Drying towels - Cobra Waffle Weave
Leather cleaner/conditioner - I love Zaino
I have heard a lot of good things about Griots products

Autogeek.net is a great source for product and information.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
I love Meguiar's Gold Class, it makes your paint fairly shiny even without wax. Don't use soap that also contains wax, wash and wax should be two separated processes for the best result.

I think good washing and drying techniques are much more important than the product brand you choose ( search some youtube videos ). The goal is not to scratch or create swirls on your clear coat. One important thing that lots of people don't know is to damp your drying towels with lubricant, such as Meguiar's ultimate quik detailer, so if your towel pick up any dirt you miss from wash it will less likely to damage the clear coat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S0110115.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	358845  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BMWX3 View Post

Thanks!
Kris

krisjohnsonbmw@gmail.com
You mentioned that you work for a BMW dealer - also check out the BMW proprietary car cleaning products.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavewuver View Post

I have used a california water blade to remove most of the rinse water after washing. I also use microfiber towels to final dry.
I'm really concerned about your waterblade as you are rubbing those fine dirt that the car wash couldn't take off onto the clear coat, thus creating a lot of swirls.
As you can see that only the clay bay could only take off.

I would suggest, take off the spray adapter on the hose and just put it on a above the fine and let the water slide down.

There would be less water to clean up.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0i
I use a two-speed electric leaf blower to do my initial drying. As as another noted, follow-up with clean high quality microfiber slightly dampened with Mequiar's detailing liquid.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
I use a two-speed electric leaf blower to do my initial drying. As as another noted, follow-up with clean high quality microfiber slightly dampened with Mequiar's detailing liquid.
I like it. Just found another use for my leaf blower. Too bad mine is on wheels and too dam heavy to lift. But I like the idea a lot.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
I use my shop vac in reverse, as a blower to remove all the water from nooks/crannys. Works great. If you put a small nozzle on it you'll increase the velocity of the air coming out.
In garage - 2013 X3 x28i, Sport Activity, Convenience, Cold Weather I, and Premium Packages, Rear View Camera, Park Distance Control, Sat Radio, BMW Assist w/ Enhanced Bluetooth. Black Sapphire with Black Nevada seats.

Previous BMW's
2007 525i - Totaled -->http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=664410
2008 535i - Traded in
2009 535i - Totaled
Old 01-23-2013, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
I have always liked the blowing dry idea. But my neighbors probably already think i am obsessed with my car, seeing me spending two hours every weekend wash and wiping. If I get that leaf blower they will probably stop talking to me.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbiology View Post
If I get that leaf blower they will probably stop talking to me.
Depending on the neighbors, that's not always a bad thing.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpilot View Post
I use cleaning and wax products from Griots
Ditto.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
I'm really concerned about your waterblade as you are rubbing those fine dirt that the car wash couldn't take off onto the clear coat, thus creating a lot of swirls.
As you can see that only the clay bay could only take off.

I would suggest, take off the spray adapter on the hose and just put it on a above the fine and let the water slide down.

There would be less water to clean up.
I've used a California water blade for years on many different cars with no problems. It hasn't introduced any scratches. Works great for me.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
I am a big fan of chemical guys products www.chemicalguys.com. They have a product for everything. I would also check out their YouTube page as well, they have a lot of informative videos about the products and applications. Currently I am using their hose free ego wash (2 bucket system) and I wash my X.3 in the garage because it's to cold to wach it outside during winter months in Connecticut. I follow up with hybrid v7 at the end. about a month ago I did a full detail including claying, glazing w/ backlight, sealing with Jetset 109 and waxing with Pete's 53 wax. I used my porter cable 7424 da polisher with appropriate pads. I also did the wheels with wheel guard too.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in NC View Post
I've used a California water blade for years on many different cars with no problems. It hasn't introduced any scratches. Works great for me.
@_@ Lucky,

Btw, I meant swirl marks
Swirls and scartches are both different

Last edited by Teemo Panda; 01-27-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes-Benz C350
I'm a bit of an enthusiest home detailer on my C350.

For the wash, I've tried several, and I really love the P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo product.

For interior work (including UV protection) Aerospace 303.

For exterior quick-detailer (for touchups) I love the Dodo Juice brand.

Spend the money to get a good wheel brush (or 2 actually, different sizes). It makes your life so much easier.

Definitely learn and use a 2-bucket wash, with grit guards at the bottom of each bucket.

For waxes, it's such a particular question, based on car make and color. For my black Mercedes, I really have found Poorboy's World Natty Blue liquid wax on top of Megs #20 Polymer Sealant.

Definitely go waffle-weave microfiber towels that you wash after each use.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes-Benz C350
I'm a bit of an enthusiest home detailer on my C350.

For the wash, I've tried several, and I really love the P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo product.

For interior work (including UV protection) Aerospace 303.

For exterior quick-detailer (for touchups) I love the Dodo Juice brand.

Spend the money to get a good wheel brush (or 2 actually, different sizes). It makes your life so much easier.

Definitely learn and use a 2-bucket wash, with grit guards at the bottom of each bucket.

For waxes, it's such a particular question, based on car make and color. For my black Mercedes, I really have found Poorboy's World Natty Blue liquid wax on top of Megs #20 Polymer Sealant.

Definitely go waffle-weave microfiber towels that you wash after each use.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Old 02-02-2013, 06:17 AM

Mein Auto: 525 & 325
California Water Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavewuver View Post
I use Maguire's soap, but don't think there is anything special about it. I really don't believe there is anything special about any car wash soap. Just don't use a harsh detergent that will remove your wax more quickly.

I never use a wax that has a cleaner in it. NEVER. Paste wax only. I happen to like Mother's. I'm very old school when it comes to wax.

I use the same paste wax on my wheels, both inside and out. I'm a nut when it comes to wheels.

I also clay bar the finish a couple of times per year.....love it.

Good luck with your X3
The California water blade is the best thing I have found to make the washing job easier. It gets 95% of the water and the chamois gets the rest without having to wring out the chamois every five seconds.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 525 & 325
After washing, etc., what is the best way to blacken my tires?

I use Mother's, expensive, to spray on the wheels and it does an ok job, but I want my tires to be blacker without having them so shiny. Just a natural black, if possible.

Mostly, I use Meguiar's products for the washing, etc. The Meguiar microfiber cloth is great for the polishing but I need 4 or 5 of them so I can keep them clean. They are not cheap but neither is my car.

By the way, the car is a 2013 X3 Alpine White and I have no acceleration problems. Just took some getting used to it.