Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-01-2013, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i
Just learned of body damage - what to do

Here's my tale. while shopping for a used 335 convertible at my local BMW dealer, he informed me of a car they just got in that fits what i'm looking for. Throughout the week, the car has been going through the certification process. He calls me tonight to "disclose" to me that the car is undergoing some body work to replace a quarter panel, and some other bodywork that needed to be done. All told, he says its about 3500 in work. At this point, that was all the information he had, but he would be able to more information once the certification process is completed. He confirmed however, that the car was still going to be certified, and the work that was done was not of the type or significance that would render the car uncertifiable.

He wanted to be sure and let me know of the status,and even went so far to suggest that some other dealers may not have done the same. The car will be available for me to drive and inspect on Monday.

The in-service date of the car is May 2010, so it has about 16 months of factory left, plus the 2 additional years as a CPO. I'm not so much worried about whether the car would still run and look great, but I'm not sure how this may affect trade in, or resale value down the road.

Can I get any help as to what this may mean,and how others may react to the news. I'm in a pinch for a car due to my former car getting totaled out, and quite frankly, there are no similar cars with similar colors/options within a reasonable distance from my location.

Thanks for the advice for a 335 newbie.
Ads by Google
Old 02-01-2013, 08:48 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litig8 View Post
Here's my tale. while shopping for a used 335 convertible at my local BMW dealer, he informed me of a car they just got in that fits what i'm looking for. Throughout the week, the car has been going through the certification process. He calls me tonight to "disclose" to me that the car is undergoing some body work to replace a quarter panel, and some other bodywork that needed to be done. All told, he says its about 3500 in work. At this point, that was all the information he had, but he would be able to more information once the certification process is completed. He confirmed however, that the car was still going to be certified, and the work that was done was not of the type or significance that would render the car uncertifiable.

He wanted to be sure and let me know of the status,and even went so far to suggest that some other dealers may not have done the same. The car will be available for me to drive and inspect on Monday.

The in-service date of the car is May 2010, so it has about 16 months of factory left, plus the 2 additional years as a CPO. I'm not so much worried about whether the car would still run and look great, but I'm not sure how this may affect trade in, or resale value down the road.

Can I get any help as to what this may mean,and how others may react to the news. I'm in a pinch for a car due to my former car getting totaled out, and quite frankly, there are no similar cars with similar colors/options within a reasonable distance from my location.

Thanks for the advice for a 335 newbie.
that extent of damage will have a noticeable impact on resale for the foreseeable future, until the car reaches the point in the depreciation curve where it doesn't matter.

6MT, M-Sport, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Tech Pkg, HK Sound, M Performance Exhaust, M Performance Power Kit

Former: 2011 335xi Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
It may or may not have much impact on resale. If the work is done very well it should not be noticeable and be virtually undetectable without using a paint meter. Most BMW dealers either have body shops or use body shops that do very good work. If you buy the car MAKE SURE the repair work is NOT reported to CarFax. There is no requirement at all that the repair be reported. If it gets reported to CarFax it will have a negative affect on the resale value.

What dealer has the car? You can look on www.bmwusa.com and find out if the dealer has a BMW Certified Collision Repair shop. That's the best place for a repair to be done, but relatively few BMW dealers operate one, so don't get too hung up on that.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 02-01-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
It may or may not have much impact on resale. If the work is done very well it should not be noticeable and be virtually undetectable without using a paint meter. Most BMW dealers either have body shops or use body shops that do very good work. If you buy the car MAKE SURE the repair work is NOT reported to CarFax. There is no requirement at all that the repair be reported. If it gets reported to CarFax it will have a negative affect on the resale value.

What dealer has the car? You can look on www.bmwusa.com and find out if the dealer has a BMW Certified Collision Repair shop. That's the best place for a repair to be done, but relatively few BMW dealers operate one, so don't get too hung up on that.
I just looked it up and yes, the dealer has a collision repair shop. This is consistent with what he told me in that all the work would be done by their own mechanics. I'm glad you mentioned CarFax as I did inquire about this during our conversation, and he told me that this would not be reported to CarFax. Having said that though, wouldn't this type of repair still show up on the service records of the vehicle, so that if a future buyer asked me for the Vin number, they would be able to bring it to a BMW dealer, and see that it's had body work done. I also find it interesting that they don't seem to have a sense as to what caused the damage, as they're hasn't been any reported accident (which would definitely show up on a CarFax.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Nothing specific

Mein Auto: 03 325Ci 5spd SP
I'd definitely ask for a picture of the damage. If it's just some scrapes and stuff in the paint, no big deal.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalys View Post
I'd definitely ask for a picture of the damage. If it's just some scrapes and stuff in the paint, no big deal.
Excellent suggestion!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litig8 View Post
I just looked it up and yes, the dealer has a collision repair shop. This is consistent with what he told me in that all the work would be done by their own mechanics. I'm glad you mentioned CarFax as I did inquire about this during our conversation, and he told me that this would not be reported to CarFax. Having said that though, wouldn't this type of repair still show up on the service records of the vehicle, so that if a future buyer asked me for the Vin number, they would be able to bring it to a BMW dealer, and see that it's had body work done. I also find it interesting that they don't seem to have a sense as to what caused the damage, as they're hasn't been any reported accident (which would definitely show up on a CarFax.
The repair should not show on the service history, because it's not in the service category. My car was a BMW executive car originally. I am the second retail owner. I got the service history before I bought it, but I found out after I bought it that it had had body damage on the passenger side while it was in use as a BMW executive car. The repair is so good if I hadn't come across some paperwork left in the car I would never have known any damage occurred.

Last edited by tturedraider; 02-01-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the sound advice. Just to cover my bases, I went to a different dealer who I'd spoken with about a different 335 that could not be certified due to some damage to the rear quarter panel. He explained that I this case there was damage inside the quarter panel on the part that butts up against the frame of the car. He explained that BMW's certification process won't allow them to certify a car if there is damage to a part that touches up agai st the frame.

Assuming this to be true, then it would at least suggest to me that that body work being done on the one I hope to buy is not serious given that it still meets their certification standards. My next call is to the dealer I'm working with to have him walk through the work being done in greater detail so I can triangulate against what the other dealer told me this morning.