Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 PM
bkgreene39's Avatar
bkgreene39 bkgreene39 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brooklyn
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 464
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
Here's few Ebay sellers for the BMW INPA K+D-CAN cable:

First $24

Second $26

Third $26


If one doesn't want to buy from ebay for what ever reason DealExtreme sells it too here $37

Since you got linux how this is an issue? Because you got linux I assume you got some experience with computers? Just virtualize windows xp. Some distributions have virtualization tools pre-installed.



Sigh. Mac is a PC, if it ain't an ancient one. All 2007 mac's are PC's inside the fancy case. Use bootcamp or virtualize windows. And yes only windows.
What about this one, its K+CAN, any reason to choose this one over the $37 unit. http://dx.com/p/k-can-obd-ii-to-usb-...-for-bmw-71801
It states Function: Read/delete errors, adaptations and coding
I do not see that function in the overview section for the $37 unit, and the $67 does not state that it work with INPA. It states software CD included but which software it doesn't state.
__________________
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win."-Senna

Last edited by bkgreene39; 02-02-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-02-2013, 02:31 PM
HTK12 HTK12 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Finland
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 853
Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgreene39 View Post
What about this one, its K+CAN, any reason to choose this one over the $37 unit. http://dx.com/p/k-can-obd-ii-to-usb-...-for-bmw-71801
It states Function: Read/delete errors, adaptations and coding
I do not see that function in the overview section for the $37 unit, and the $67 does not state that it work with INPA. It states software CD included but which software it doesn't state.
No reason. The descriptions aren't excatly what you call clear. Both of them seem to support K-can+D-can. Many of those cd's are just for drivers. Anyhow you can download the software for free. Just browse the link that bluebee provided in this thread (this). The thing you'll most probably need is the EDIBAS package which includes the following:

INPA
NCSExpert
NCSPlant
NFS
WINKFP
ToolSet32
WINELDI

That will get you to pull codes & clear codes, code new modules, code new settings like seat belt warning, automatic door locking etc.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-02-2013, 02:43 PM
bkgreene39's Avatar
bkgreene39 bkgreene39 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brooklyn
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 464
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
No reason. The descriptions aren't excatly what you call clear. Both of them seem to support K-can+D-can. Many of those cd's are just for drivers. Anyhow you can download the software for free. Just browse the link that bluebee provided in this thread (this). The thing you'll most probably need is the EDIBAS package which includes the following:

INPA
NCSExpert
NCSPlant
NFS
WINKFP
ToolSet32
WINELDI

That will get you to pull codes & clear codes, code new modules, code new settings like seat belt warning, automatic door locking etc.
Yea I have been subscribed to that thread for quite some time its been awhile since I read it, I'm finally getting around to order diagnostic equipment. I was looking at newsgroups for the software. Thanks for the feedback.
__________________
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win."-Senna
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-02-2013, 03:10 PM
HTK12 HTK12 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Finland
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 853
Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgreene39 View Post
Yea I have been subscribed to that thread for quite some time its been awhile since I read it, I'm finally getting around to order diagnostic equipment. I was looking at newsgroups for the software. Thanks for the feedback.

If you want it cheaper, buy it from ebay. I bought mine on ebay about 18 months ago.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM
bkgreene39's Avatar
bkgreene39 bkgreene39 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brooklyn
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 464
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
If you want it cheaper, buy it from ebay. I bought mine on ebay about 18 months ago.
I despise ebay and paypal for personal reasons, I would rather spend more money then let them make anything of me.
__________________
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win."-Senna
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-02-2013, 04:22 PM
HTK12 HTK12 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Finland
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 853
Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgreene39 View Post
I despise ebay and paypal for personal reasons, I would rather spend more money then let them make anything of me.
Then just buy the cheaper one from dealextreme. Since your car is 98 you'll want to grab this too. You'll need to use it to access other modules than ECU. That 20 pin connector can be found in the engine bay. You got the OBDII connector in the drives foorwell, but it's there just because it's the required to be there. When a BMW has that 20 pin connector under the hood use it.

Last edited by HTK12; 02-02-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:02 PM
bkgreene39's Avatar
bkgreene39 bkgreene39 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brooklyn
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 464
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
Then just buy the cheaper one from dealextreme. Since your car is 98 you'll want to grab this too. You'll need to use it to access other modules than ECU. That 20 pin connector can be found in the engine bay. You got the OBDII connector in the drives foorwell, but it's there just because it's the required to be there. When a BMW has that 20 pin connector under the hood use it.
Yup, I had that in my cart. 20 pin is what peake uses for my car as well.
__________________
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win."-Senna
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-03-2013, 06:16 AM
bmwmanz2 bmwmanz2 is offline
Registered User
Location: RDU
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 78
Send a message via MSN to bmwmanz2 Send a message via Yahoo to bmwmanz2
Mein Auto: E39 528i
I have the 20 pin and obdII adapter for the Peake. Why do you say to use the 20 pin if it has one?
__________________
-Tony
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-03-2013, 07:41 AM
HTK12 HTK12 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Finland
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 853
Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmanz2 View Post
I have the 20 pin and obdII adapter for the Peake. Why do you say to use the 20 pin if it has one?
Are you serious? You didn't even bother to read that one reply from start to finish, if you had you wouldn't be asking.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 AM
bmwmanz2 bmwmanz2 is offline
Registered User
Location: RDU
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 78
Send a message via MSN to bmwmanz2 Send a message via Yahoo to bmwmanz2
Mein Auto: E39 528i
:-0
__________________
-Tony
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:00 AM
HTK12 HTK12 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Finland
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 853
Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmanz2 View Post
:-0
What part of the following sentence you don't understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
You'll need to use it to access other modules than ECU.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 AM
bmwmanz2 bmwmanz2 is offline
Registered User
Location: RDU
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 78
Send a message via MSN to bmwmanz2 Send a message via Yahoo to bmwmanz2
Mein Auto: E39 528i
Maybe if I said "duh" or "doh" it would be a little more clear. I read over your post too fast as I was pulling up on a call.
__________________
-Tony
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 PM
GabesJH82 GabesJH82 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 270
Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i
There are so many inpa edibas USB cable and softwares out there but I'm still unsure witch one would be the best one to buy as I'm looking into coding modules, read and clear codes basically a full functional tool with most features that dealer may have.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 PM
bluebee's Avatar
bluebee bluebee is offline
Seek to understand,^Value
Location: San Jose, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 21,270
Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabesJH82 View Post
There are so many inpa edibas USB cable and softwares out there but I'm still unsure witch one would be the best one to buy as I'm looking into coding modules, read and clear codes basically a full functional tool with most features that dealer may have.
The first post of this thread should give you a description of the cable to shoot for:
- The most often recommended BMW diagnostic tools & cable interfaces (1)
__________________
Each repair should invariably add to our knowledge base by the process of inexorable incrementalism.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Dking078's Avatar
Dking078 Dking078 is offline
Nor genius Nor ignorant
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,310
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabesJH82 View Post
Have anyone tried the bmw C110 scan tool: http://www.ecutool.com/C100-2-OBD2EO...C110_9202.html
I have this code reader. I got mine from www.bimmian.com , it is very useful! It can read live data and scan every module for codes.
__________________
2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
[Msport] [DSP] [AUX] [ICE V6] [BSWs] [DINAN Trans & Strut Bar] [M Audio Subs] [E38 lighted int. door handles] [E46 Paddleshifters] [Cubic Trim] [EURO Dash] [KONI's] [Two-tone Interior]


For Sale:
1 Set of E39 OEM Technical graphite trim (No TPMS):
1 Set of E39 OEM Matt-Chrome trim (TPMS):

For Sale SOON: [PM for info!]
2 Sets of E39 OEM Maple wood "Muschelahorn" trim (No TPMS)
1 E39 OEM Maple wood " Muschelahorn" Steering wheel (w/o airbag)

Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-22-2013, 03:34 PM
AllesklarBMW AllesklarBMW is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: 530i
IŽd be interested in a hand held to not only read-clear codes but to dump a tune into the 530i E39 and get more HP-TQ.
I had one for my Mustang and it woke it up instantly with much more throttle response and snap-accel.

Any body know of such a tool?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-22-2013, 03:52 PM
HTK12 HTK12 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Finland
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 853
Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllesklarBMW View Post
IŽd be interested in a hand held to not only read-clear codes but to dump a tune into the 530i E39 and get more HP-TQ.
I had one for my Mustang and it woke it up instantly with much more throttle response and snap-accel.

Any body know of such a tool?
There is none for E39. Go FI or go home. Only noticeable gains are from FI/NOS. There aren't any noticeable cheap hp/tq to be had on e39.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-22-2013, 04:21 PM
bluebee's Avatar
bluebee bluebee is offline
Seek to understand,^Value
Location: San Jose, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 21,270
Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
- CAI 101 should I do it or not (1) and which is better, stock or aftermarket cold air intake (1) (2) & a home-made CAI (1) & the general consensus on the effectiveness of an aftermarket CAI versus the stock BMW CAI (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to reduce the risk of hydro lock (1) (2) & what about a K&N oiled air filter over the stock air filter (1) & a forced induction group buy (1) and adding nitrous oxide to your E39 (1) & links to suppliers to improve performance of your E39 (1)
__________________
Each repair should invariably add to our knowledge base by the process of inexorable incrementalism.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-22-2013, 04:22 PM
AllesklarBMW AllesklarBMW is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
There is none for E39. Go FI or go home. Only noticeable gains are from FI/NOS. There aren't any noticeable cheap hp/tq to be had on e39.
Ok, well that could mean BMW didn't leave anything on the table.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-22-2013, 04:35 PM
mrblahh mrblahh is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: atlanta
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 207
Mein Auto: e36 m3, X5, 74 2002
they left a lot on the table, look at the s50/s52, the m52 can have s52 cams installed, along with intake and tune it's respectable gains
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms