Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i sport package
Oil in my oil filter cannister?

Hey everyone, last 2 times i changed my oil, the oil filter cannister is full of oil? Shouldnt that be empty after i drain all the oil out? Anyone have any tips, or advice? Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
It's spring loaded so that the oil should drain when the cap is removed. It isn't a big deal though. Nothing to worry about.

Member No. 470379
Old 02-01-2013, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i sport package
Thanks!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Do you E46 guys have the same two little green o-rings we have on our E39 M54's which keeps the oil inside the filter canister UNTIL you remove the cap?

Do you replace them periodically?
- What is the complete list of o-rings to order for routine oil change maintenance tasks (1)

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
While Bluebee's post doesn't really address your question specifically, his post has helped to spark reasons as to why your OFH stays full of oil when you take the top off. (Maybe he just wants us to think for ourselves...)

So let me ask you this--Could it be possible that your tip with the 2 o-rings has broken off from the top and stays seated? Thus preventing the oil from draining back to the pan/sump.

If not, then maybe something is obstructing the flow of oil back throught that passage? Maybe some material from an old filter found its way in there.

Last edited by GCoop; 02-01-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Gramaticized for correctedness >)
Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
something is obstructing the flow of oil back throught that passage?
As you surmised, we have discussed the purpose of those o-rings (and the tip specifically), and have come to the conclusion that the stem keeps the oil INSIDE the housing (for startup purposes):
- How to properly change the oil in the I6 engine (1) & how NOT to change it (1)

Patent 5,516,425

Of course, if the stem is broken off, then it will STILL keep the oil in the filter housing, so, that's the very first thing I would check.

Here's a picture from that thread showing the stem in my M54 (ignore the captions as we've found out all the o-ring sizes by now):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m54_oil_filter.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	360165  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.

Last edited by bluebee; 02-01-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Do you E46 guys have the same two little green o-rings we have on our E39 M54's which keeps the oil inside the filter canister UNTIL you remove the cap?

Do you replace them periodically?
Bentley calls to replace them every oil change, so I do them every other change.

Parts guy at my dealership says he does not stock them (had to order for me) and never had a mechanic ask for them when doing an oil change!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
Bentley calls to replace them every oil change, so I do them every other change. Parts guy at my dealership says he does not stock them
I just ordered mine, along with a few sets of the fast-disappearing 441 (61610154441) $3.00 wiper blade refills:
Quote:
- 2 x Oil Filter Stem Seal, Lower (11427549573) = $3.64 ($1.82 each)
- 2 x Oil Dipstick Seal, Upper (11431717666) = $1.30 ($0.65 each)

- 1 x Oil Filter Kit, including O-ring, copper seal, and Mann filter (11427512300) = $4.60
- 1 x Oil Dipstick Seal, Bottom (11431740045) = $0.56
- 1 x Oil Drain Plug Bolt (11131273093) = $1.74
- 1 x Power Steering Reservoir Gasket Ring (32411128333) = $1.49

Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 AM

From a functional standpoint, does anyone here know WHAT happens if the o-rings are leaking?

I suppose what happens is that the oil in the canister simply leaks down into the sump.

What that means, I'm not sure, but, presumably it means that the engine will be slightly starved for oil upon startup.

Now, how much that MATTERS is what I'm trying to get at - which I have no idea of.

Anyone know more about this?

EDIT: I didn't find the answer in the patent itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patent
A spin-on oil filter can be mounted in an easily accessible position on an engine by means of an oil filter housing comprising a lower housing unit, which comprises an open-topped chamber, and an upper housing unit. A male threaded portion, adapted to mount a spin-on oil filter, extends up from the bottom surface of the lower housing unit. A flat gasket sealing surface is located on the bottom surface, wherein the gasket surface is perpendicular with the male threaded portion. The housing comprises three passages: (i) a first passage adapted to permit flow of dirty oil to an oil filter mounted on the male threaded portion; (ii) a second passage adapted to permit flow of filtered oil away from an oil filter mounted on the male threaded portion; and, (iii) a third passage adapted to permit drainage of oil from the open-topped chamber. The upper housing unit is removably attached to the lower housing unit, and is adapted to cover the open-topped chamber. Methods of maintaining the filter and of adding refill oil are facilitated by this housing.

Last edited by bluebee; 02-02-2013 at 08:58 AM.