Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-02-2013, 06:17 AM

Mein Auto: x 5 2004
x5 2004 inside door handle froze and broke

due to low temp, the driver side inside door handle broke, how much it would cost to fix it?
Ads by Google
Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X5
My BMW dealer quoted me around $350 but instead I bought the handle assembly online and my husband installed it, was around $30?
Old 02-02-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: x 5 2004
where do you buy bmw parts on line?

Where do you buy the parts online ?

Thx
Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 AM

We bought it off eBay, we found a site that kinda gives you directions. If at all possible, when you replace it, the inside door panel comes off, try not to disconnect anything, hold it up with a bungee. My husband disconnected mine to get his man hands in it better and my "airbag" light was on, BMW wanted $60 to disconnect it. I sweet talked them into resetting it the next time I took it in for service.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:58 AM

I meant "reset " it
Old 02-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
Just disconnect the battery before you start the work and only reconnect the battery after everything been reinstalled. Disconnecting any Safety Restraint System items such as air bags, air bags curtains, even seat with occupancy sensors with the battery connected will give you a SRS light.

Don't want to take the car to have the SRS light reset, you can get a reset tool from Amazon or eBay for under $30.00 to reset it.

Last edited by upallnight; 02-02-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:31 PM

Thanks upallnight I'm sure I'll need that as my passenger side feels like its getting worn. Since you are so BMW savvy, I have a 2004 X5 3.0, with the "business" radio/cd, is there a way I can upgrade that to either a XM ready or a way to get my iPhone to play from it? I have a XM modem in there but it doesn't seem to look like I can hard wire it in and it's a pain in the a$$ to find stations when I'm not in range.
Thanks
Kay
Old 02-02-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceeberg View Post
Thanks upallnight I'm sure I'll need that as my passenger side feels like its getting worn. Since you are so BMW savvy, I have a 2004 X5 3.0, with the "business" radio/cd, is there a way I can upgrade that to either a XM ready or a way to get my iPhone to play from it? I have a XM modem in there but it doesn't seem to look like I can hard wire it in and it's a pain in the a$$ to find stations when I'm not in range.
Thanks
Kay
Do you have DSP (digital signal processing)? It will have DSP on the right side of the radio.

I have a Grom Media Device that I hooked up at the rear of the car where the amp and cd changer is located. It is bluetooth tooth (you need to buy the bluetooth dongle) compatible ipod compatible (you will need to buy the Ipod cable) and usb compatible. I have an android phone so I use an app to stream my music from my phone to the X stereo system thru the Grom Media Device. There are other system out there like DICE that does the same thing.

If you don't have DSP there's a 3mm jack that was sold by BMW to cnnect MP3 player to the Aux in portion of the radio. The jack was located in the glove box. You will use a cable to plug into you Iphone headphone jack and plug the other end into the jack in the glove box. Set the radio to AUX and turn on your Iphone.

Grom website:

http://gromaudio.com/index.html

Last edited by upallnight; 02-02-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:29 PM

You can watch the video on this website.

http://gromaudio.com/installs/bmw__g...ustration.html