Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-19-2012, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Xi, 2008 X3
E46 Bluetooth Pairing - FIXED!!!

My car is a 2004 325xi (build date 09/03) with NAV.
I just bought a 13th gen ULF for phone use. It came with the ULF and the Antenna, which I already had. After removing the BMW assist module, I plugged in the ULF and tried to pair without success. There is a pairing button harness under the cupholders, so I am thinking that perhaps I should get a pairing button, or make one (PINS 1 and 2?). Right now when I start the pairing, w/o the button, the screen just reads "Activate phone". Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited by ratatouille; 04-20-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Fixed the problem
Ads by Google
Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 325Ci + ZPP/ZSP/ZCW
So when you are seeing the "Activate Phone" on the screen, the car is not discoverable via your phone? I know in my '05 when the screen shows that, the car is in pairable/discovery mode. But with you having an '02 and a newer ULF, not sure how they play together.

Alpinweiß 2005 325Ci
Spacegrau 2007 X5 3.0Si

Old 04-20-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_Ci View Post
So when you are seeing the "Activate Phone" on the screen, the car is not discoverable via your phone? I know in my '05 when the screen shows that, the car is in pairable/discovery mode. But with you having an '02 and a newer ULF, not sure how they play together.
Well I am one step further, in that I noticed that I did not have the BT antenna installed under the rear ashtray. After I did so, my phone (iPhone 4) briefly discovered the Handsfree BMW ULF and tried to pair. Haven't seen it since. Now I think I do need the e46 pairing button that connect under the armrest, but I could short it if I were sure of which pins I need to connect. Any ideas?
Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatouille View Post
I just bought a 13th gen ULF for phone use. It came with the ULF and the Antenna, which I already had. After removing the BMW assist module, I plugged in the ULF and tried to pair without success. There is a pairing button harness under the cupholders, so I am thinking that perhaps I should get a pairing button, or make one (PINS 1 and 2?). Right now when I start the pairing, w/o the button, the screen just reads "Activate phone". Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
I got really annopyed when I discovered the e46 button was EOL and no longer available, so I got a trusty paperclip, jammed it into pins 1 and 17 on the button harness, shorted for 3 secs, key to 2nd position, 3 more secs, and voila! Totally paired, with downloaded directory of all contacts, voice activation, the works... Now I can work from my car. Thanks for all the posts that helped along the way.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
I got really annopyed when I discovered the e46 button was EOL and no longer available, so I got a trusty paperclip, jammed it into pins 1 and 17 on the button harness, shorted for 3 secs, key to 2nd position, 3 more secs, and voila! Totally paired, with downloaded directory of all contacts, voice activation, the works... Now I can work from my car. Thanks for all the posts that helped along the way.
Now get yourself a momentary contact switch from Radio shack and solder it in there so you don't have to hassle when you want to add a phone or get a new one! Good job on sticking with it!
Old 04-21-2012, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci
I just bought a 2005 330Cic. I tried to pair my phone and it seems to have worked but it won't download the contact list. Not sure if it is a compatibility issue with the phone or not. My phone is a Samsung Intensity II. It works fine in my CX-7 but I have only managed to get it to make a call by speaking the number to dial in my BMW.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
2004 and previous pair differently than the 2005 and later models, so there is no comparison. The earlier models need a pairing button, while the 2005 doesn't.

When I installed my ULF a long time ago, my car (a very late 2004) already had the bluetooth antenna in place, so I just had to install the pairing button and ULF. I didn't cut a hole for it, since the button is rarely used. I just pull out the cup holders when needed (which I do anyway occasionally just to clean them). I'm just waiting to get a new phone, because my current phone is a POS and won't pair with anything.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 04-22-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blchandl2 View Post
I just bought a 2005 330Cic. I tried to pair my phone and it seems to have worked but it won't download the contact list. Not sure if it is a compatibility issue with the phone or not. My phone is a Samsung Intensity II. It works fine in my CX-7 but I have only managed to get it to make a call by speaking the number to dial in my BMW.

Any help would be appreciated.
It may have to do with the ULF you have. Even though I have an '04, my ULF is a 13th generation so it has more features. AAMOF my wife's '08 X3 does not support directory download, so I would look into that first.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci
The NAV display says it is loading the phone book whenever the the phone is linked. If I try to make a call by naming a contact, it tells me the phone book is empty.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 m3 convertible
Quote:
where did you purchase the 13 th gen ulf