Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM
01e46sprt 01e46sprt is offline
Registered User
Location: New jersey
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 2001 Bmw 325ci sport
That does kinda sound like a pulley. But the after noise when shut off I have no clue about ?

If I was you and could afford a good Indy shop with a good reputation I Would take it over

And have them diagnose everything. Most of them only charge an hr labor for diagnosing.

And if it's affordable let them repair it...if not take the report he gives you to a cheaper shop

And let them do the repair.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Jsmk23 Jsmk23 is offline
Registered User
Location: Palm Springs, CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: 02 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01e46sprt View Post
That does kinda sound like a pulley. But the after noise when shut off I have no clue about ?

If I was you and could afford a good Indy shop with a good reputation I Would take it over

And have them diagnose everything. Most of them only charge an hr labor for diagnosing.

And if it's affordable let them repair it...if not take the report he gives you to a cheaper shop

And let them do the repair.
Yeah imma call tomorrow to local shops and see how much they charge for a diagnostic test.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Jsmk23 Jsmk23 is offline
Registered User
Location: Palm Springs, CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: 02 BMW 325i
Bad news today fellow fanatics.
Driving up the interstate with my normal every 2 weekends drive from San Diego to Palm Springs, within 30 mins on the freeway, I noticed my battery light came on my dash.
First time I ever seen this.

After 5-10 mins from when I started driving I noticed my temperate needle went up fast.

I pulled over when it went up, and when I went to lift up the hood there was no smoke.

So I went back in the car to start it up and I noticed my steering wheel was tough to turn. So I figured it was my power steering pump.

When I checked under the car it was dripping slowly.
So I just called my roadside assistance to tow it back to a shop.

So I was wondering if you guys could give me a heads up on what it could be more or less besides that the shop could charge me a fortune.

Thanks.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-23-2013, 12:05 AM
lgr122 lgr122 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Finland
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,284
Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Belt snapped? Water pump +Alternator +Powersteering pump are all used by that same belt, aren't they?
Ofcourse can be that something else broke with it, so should check carefully everything which is nearby.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-23-2013, 02:04 AM
PerfectStorm01 PerfectStorm01 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Melbourne, Australia
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 242
Mein Auto: 2001 320Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
Belt snapped? Water pump +Alternator +Powersteering pump are all used by that same belt, aren't they?
Ofcourse can be that something else broke with it, so should check carefully everything which is nearby.
Yes, they are. Noise was probably a pulley to begin with. If it is, great time to replace the tensioner pulley, idler, cooling system refresh, new belts, etc. Take a look at your water pump and power steering pulleys to make sure they are not cracked and badly chipped from this incident.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:26 AM
SJBimmer's Avatar
SJBimmer SJBimmer is offline
Living Life At The Beach
Location: In This Place
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,810
Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
All poster having these noises that go away after 5 mins or so, and are more prevalent when cold should def. check all pulleys, water pump ect. You do have to remove the belt(s) to do it, but if one fails it could really cost you big time to fix it. The thrown belt can severely damage other items. Do not take this lightly.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Jsmk23 Jsmk23 is offline
Registered User
Location: Palm Springs, CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: 02 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
All poster having these noises that go away after 5 mins or so, and are more prevalent when cold should def. check all pulleys, water pump ect. You do have to remove the belt(s) to do it, but if one fails it could really cost you big time to fix it. The thrown belt can severely damage other items. Do not take this lightly.
Yeah I figured. I'm not taking this lightly. First time I had this happen to me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms