Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Lowly High School Teacher

Mein Auto: 04 330CI ZHP 6sp.
DIY: Washer Fluid Pump Replacement

I had to replace the pump today thanks to the giant puddle it left on my garage floor. This replacement is super easy and common sense for gearheads (or Petrolheads for you UK folks), so it's probably layman safe.

What's Needed:
BMW Washer Pump Part#67-12-8-362-154
Washer Pump Strainer Part#61-66-7-006-063
10mm Socket or Wrench

Step 1: Remove the bolt that fastens the fluid reservoir to the fender. This is the bolt you need the 10mm socket for.

Step 2: Gently pull up on the reservoir and disconnect the fluid level sensor.

Step 3: Disconnect the plug for the washer pump. Pull the black tab to release the plug bracket, and finally, disconnect the hose going to the pump. (Hopefully, you already thought to empty the reservoir).

Step 4: Remove the pump from the reservoir by pulling it out and up from the plastic tab where it's located.

Step 5: Remove the strainer/grommet from the reservoir by pulling it up and out. If it's loose, this is probably where your leak is. (Mine was)

That's it for the disassembly. All you have to do is use your new parts and reverse the steps to reassemble the reservoir. It's super easy. ANYBODY CAN DO THIS!
Ads by Google
Old 07-25-2009, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
Thanks so much! When I told them my washer fluid was leaking, BMW's Service Department said that, if it was the pump, it'd be something like $100 for parts and $150 for labor.

After using your DIY to diagnose the problem (it was well apparent that the leak was coming from the pump) I bought the parts for $20 at PelicanParts.com and will have this fixed in another 10 minutes!

Thanks again for the great guide to an easy fix!
Old 07-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
Yeah, the dealers are uniformly outstandingly good at taking our money. I had to change my pump in a hurry in the middle of a storm cause I couldn't wash the windshield; picked the pump up at the dealer's parts counter and did the exchange in front of the mechanics at the shop.

Whenever you take out the deposit for whatever reason, be sure to thoroughly rinse it out to get rid of all the grime that will eventually clog up the strainer or the nozzles. And you can scrub the strainer (carefully) while you're at it. It does not come with the pump and is somewhat hard to get a replacement.

2006 325Ci
Old 02-01-2010, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5, 2010 135
Smile Thanks

C Mendez - Thanks much! I am below a layman, and even I could do this with your clear instructions. I also got the pump from Pelican Parts, and they delivered it in about a day. Took it out and put in the new one in a total of about 30 minutes. And, BTW, I'm also in Austin - I owe you a beer.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Great DIY guys!

Mein Auto: 325i
I have used this forum all year from brakes to leaking fluid, and has made me a fortune (saving a fortune). Thanks, this was the answer to my delimma as well, it worked perfect
Old 08-22-2010, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 87'325is & 01'325i
Ditto windshield washer repair

I did the same repair/replacement, with advice from jcourcoul, on my 01' 325i-A while it sat on my parking pad ( I don't have a garage ) in front of my Florida house. I recall that the bad part had completely rusted away, and the new part was about 50 bucks from the fancy($$$) shop about ten miles away in Coconut Creek,FL. I did the repair in about 30 minutes and I used the 10mm wrench in the car's tool kit.

Last edited by whiBMW4d; 08-22-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-28-2010, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci
thanks!

I have a 2006 330Ci and the washer fluid began leaking. I hadn't done anything to it, no new fluid or anything, just leaked out. I found this thread with the pictures and I followed the steps. I have done nothing really in the past as far as car repair, so this was my first project. I was able to change the pump no problem. I bought one from NAPA for $30. I didn't have to unplug the sensor on the bottum or remove the tank. Also the pump from NAPA matched up electrically with the plug that I separated from the leaking pump so I didn't have to cut/splice anything. At first it didn't work so I unplugged the hose from new pump(yes it spilled a little as the tank was 1/4 full) and I connected it to a little hose of the same size with nothing at the end. I tried the pump again and it flowed out of the hose, flushing the air pocket out. After re-connecting the hose to the pump it worked fine. Spent $30 when dealer wanted $170. Thanks for the thread/pics!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:30 PM
~J'adore les BMW~

Send a message via Skype™ to elchicoguapo88
Mein Auto: E46 325iA Sedan
Great DIY....I need to do the same soon!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Nice tutorial. I created one with plenty of photos for the 2006 X3 which seem to have massive problems with the washer pumps. Looks very similar though the pumps may be in different accessible locations. Just including it here in case seeing more photos, etc might be of help...

BMW X3 Washer Fluid Leak Fix

You can find some decent part options on Amazon too:

BMW 3 Series Washer Pumps/Accessories

Great write up thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 2.5
Thank you.

Last edited by MyFirstX3; 01-09-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: double posted.. would like to delete but cant figure it out.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 2.5
Thumbs up Thank you for the tutorial

Thank you for taking the time to post this detailed tutorial. It was of great help. It took me about 20 minutes to replace the grommets and pumps on my X3.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Coupe OR Never

Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Washer pump leak is very common on E46 cars. They just start leaking out of the blue. The leak is almost always from the pump itself never seen one leaking from the strainer gasket. Pump's seal fails and it leaks from the square weep hole.
Yes it is an easy fix but if you get yourself an original pump from a BMW dealer, then it will leak sooner or later. I went through 3 washer pumps and then said enough is enough and got another brand (VDO). It never leaked ever since...

My advise: If your windshield washer pump leaks, do NOT buy the original pump from a BMW dealer.

Last edited by iskoos; 01-09-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 750I
I got lucky my leaky reservoir was replaced under the CPO. I am dumfounded that with all this German technology they don't seem to be able to engineer the simple parts, or maybe they try to hard to over engineer?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330CiC
iskoos: is there any way to determine if it's the pump or the grommet? Mine just started leaking a couple days ago. Pump still sprays fluid. Thank you.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Coupe OR Never

Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvideopro View Post
iskoos: is there any way to determine if it's the pump or the grommet? Mine just started leaking a couple days ago. Pump still sprays fluid. Thank you.
None of the 3 replacements I made had any malfunctioning pump motor. Pump motor will always work weather it is leaking or not. So do not let that fool you.

You can find out where the leak is. You need to look at the lower pump body with a flash light. If you can get close enough, you will realize that the water starts leaking about half-inch above the grommet level. There is a little square opening at the lower section of the pump. See the attached picture.
If you are seeing puddle of water right under the windshield fluid reservoir, it is most likely that your pump is leaking from the weep hole not from the grommet...

If you confirm the leak is coming from the pump, do not buy an original BMW pump to replace it. The one you put in will start leaking soon. Been there done that...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	washpump.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	357195  

Last edited by iskoos; 01-11-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
I have a BMW oem pump if anyone is interested. I ordered four to do both bimmers; one too many.

Member No. 470379
Old 01-14-2013, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330i
I just replaced my washer pump yesterday - very easy. I did not have a leak, just a broken pump. I ended up grabbing a pump at Autozone for $20 - the DIY took 15 minutes.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330CiC
Found that oembimmerparts has the OEM pumps for $24 and aftermarket for $20. Since the OEM is so crappy going to try the other.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:11 PM
fixin stuff

Mein Auto: z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
None of the 3 replacements I made had any malfunctioning pump motor. Pump motor will always work weather it is leaking or not. So do not let that fool you.

You can find out where the leak is. You need to look at the lower pump body with a flash light. If you can get close enough, you will realize that the water starts leaking about half-inch above the grommet level. There is a little square opening at the lower section of the pump. See the attached picture.
If you are seeing puddle of water right under the windshield fluid reservoir, it is most likely that your pump is leaking from the weep hole not from the grommet...

If you confirm the leak is coming from the pump, do not buy an original BMW pump to replace it. The one you put in will start leaking soon. Been there done that...
this is the case with mine..Bought the car got it home next morning puddle on the floor.
gonna get an aftermarket one.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Yeah, I had the same leak too. So far (only about a month or two) this $7 pump has worked just fine.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s01_i00