Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Porsche already fixed this issue. Called the Cayenne Turbo S.

But in reality, I'd pick a Turbo over an X5M any day of the week.
+1

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Why is this thread even still going on??? I'm pretty sure there are plenty of "exclusive" forums for Porsche bandwagoneers to praise their badge worthiness. This is totally a BMW forum, for BMW enthusiasts. If you think BMW is so inferior to Porsche just go join your kin over in the VW/Porsche forums hahaha!

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
In the five seat "performance" SUV/SAV arena there are only a handful of "real" choices IMHO. BMW X3/X5, ML, Cayenne, RR, F50, and Jeep GC. I mention the X3 because in the 35i configuraton it is a very hot little ride. I personally do not believe that to discuss any or all of these options in this arena is in any way "disloyal" to BMW or the 'fest. Many of us here appear to be genuinely interested in virtually all things automotive and knowlege is a good thing to have. If for no other reason than to sharpen your skills as a negotiater when its time to move up or over to a new ride. When I walk into a showroom to do battle with the sharks I want to know more about that product than they do (sadly, that's not hard most of the time) and the 'fest has helped me a lot in this regard.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
In the five seat "performance" SUV/SAV arena there are only a handful of "real" choices IMHO. BMW X3/X5, ML, Cayenne, RR, F50, and Jeep GC. I mention the X3 because in the 35i configuraton it is a very hot little ride. I personally do not believe that to discuss any or all of these options in this arena is in any way "disloyal" to BMW or the 'fest. Many of us here appear to be genuinely interested in virtually all things automotive and knowlege is a good thing to have. If for no other reason than to sharpen your skills as a negotiater when its time to move up or over to a new ride. When I walk into a showroom to do battle with the sharks I want to know more about that product than they do (sadly, that's not hard most of the time) and the 'fest has helped me a lot in this regard.
You have good points and I see what you're saying. To me though, it just seems like this thread is more of a pissing contest which obviously isn't getting anywhere. It's like a bunch of little kids arguing about who's better than who. Reviews are great but in the end are subjective. I just feel like this thread is not going anywhere and might be more appropriate elsewhere. Again, like this entire thread, that's just my opinion.

1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
You have good points and I see what you're saying. To me though, it just seems like this thread is more of a pissing contest which obviously isn't getting anywhere. It's like a bunch of little kids arguing about who's better than who. Reviews are great but in the end are subjective. I just feel like this thread is not going anywhere and might be more appropriate elsewhere. Again, like this entire thread, that's just my opinion.
They never go anywhere, but they always seem to be popular, whether it's the ATS vs 3er or the Panny vs 5er. It goes the same way on all of these threads. Someone wants to post some type of comparison results. Then get two major groups of contributors: the local guys who actually own the cars - and the fantisizers who will argue that their fantasy car is much better than your real car.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Then get two major groups of contributors: the local guys who actually own the cars - and the fantisizers who will argue that their fantasy car is much better than your real car.
Lol, very true! I notice this tends to be a common trend...hahaha

1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Why is this thread even still going on??? I'm pretty sure there are plenty of "exclusive" forums for Porsche bandwagoneers to praise their badge worthiness. This is totally a BMW forum, for BMW enthusiasts. If you think BMW is so inferior to Porsche just go join your kin over in the VW/Porsche forums hahaha!
Have you driven the Cayenne Turbo, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, BMW X5 M and Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG?

If not, I suggest you enjoy the insight and opinions of those who have.

This is a public forum, and other views are always welcomed as long as they do not personally attack members.

- Mike

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
Have you driven the Cayenne Turbo, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, BMW X5 M and Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG?

If not, I suggest you enjoy the insight and opinions of those who have.

This is a public forum, and other views are always welcomed as long as they do not personally attack members.

- Mike
I own an X5M, I've owned a Jeep SRT8 and I test drove my friend's Porsche a few times for fun...can't say I've driven the AMG though and don't plan on it. I'm a creature of habit so I plan on keeping it BMW until I get tired of it (unlikely).

I didn't expect you to know any of this about me since I don't need to plaster my occupation, career history, previous cars/auto experience or income so I can validate my credibility on this forum.

Anyway, I'm clearly exercising my ability to use this "public forum" to express my opinion that this thread is ridiculous and going no where.

Post away!

1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-11-2013, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
what a bunch of crap. Why are you getting so defensive? If you want to be a BMW leghumper and discredit any competition, I suggest you head over to the F30 section where there are other delusional guys who think similarly.

This is an enthusiasts forum and the us veterans around here consider all brands equal. I suggest you stop making ridiculous statements like this. I'm sure you like your X5M, well, good for you. If you haven't noticed, we all own BMWs also, but that doesn't mean we think BMW is the best. If the X5M winning a couple tests makes you feel better at night, well...

There is always something else better out there, in this case, Porsche. And if you really think that the Cayenne is just a VW, well...you clearly have no idea what you're talking about and you should head over to the F30 section for similar (dumb) opinions.

Just because it's called Bimmerfest doesn't mean that BMW is the best and everyone else sucks.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 02-11-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
what a bunch of crap. Why are you getting so defensive? If you want to be a BMW leghumper and discredit any competition, I suggest you head over to the F30 section where there are other delusional guys who think similarly.

This is an enthusiasts forum and the us veterans around here consider all brands equal. I suggest you stop making ridiculous statements like this. I'm sure you like your X5M, well, good for you. If you haven't noticed, we all own BMWs also, but that doesn't mean we think BMW is the best.

There is always something else better out there, in this case, Porsche. And if you really think that the Cayenne is just a VW, well...you clearly have no idea what you're talking about and you should head over to the F30 section for similar (dumb) opinions.

Just because it's called Bimmerfest doesn't mean that BMW is the best and everyone else sucks.
I guess there goes the whole public forum/no personal attacks idea if I'm being ordered to go to another forum!

Relax dude, just my opinion...I didn't mean to raise your blood pressure.

1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
I own an X5M, I've owned a Jeep SRT8 and I test drove my friend's Porsche a few times for fun...can't say I've driven the AMG though and don't plan on it. I'm a creature of habit so I plan on keeping it BMW until I get tired of it (unlikely).

I didn't expect you to know any of this about me since I don't need to plaster my occupation, career history, previous cars/auto experience or income so I can validate my credibility on this forum.

Anyway, I'm clearly exercising my ability to use this "public forum" to express my opinion that this thread is ridiculous and going no where.

Post away!
Of course, and I encourage dissenting opinions!

Hair color is the best way to validate one's knowledge of cars.

Keep up the posts.

- Mike

Old 02-11-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
Hair color is the best way to validate one's knowledge of cars.

- Mike
Hahahaha, now THAT'S funny! I guess mine symbolizes my love for the anthracite interior then!

1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-11-2013, 11:35 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Quote:

This is an enthusiasts forum and the us veterans around here consider all brands equal. I suggest you stop making ridiculous statements like this. I'm sure you like your X5M, well, good for you. If you haven't noticed, we all own BMWs also, but that doesn't mean we think BMW is the best. If the X5M winning a couple tests makes you feel better at night, well...

I guess there goes the whole public forum/no personal attacks idea if I'm being ordered to go to another forum!

Relax dude, just my opinion...I didn't mean to raise your blood pressure.
Hmm, I noticed that too.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM

This last exchange brought out why this is really a great forum. We exchanged divergent views and opinions yet (mainly) managed to present them without any ad hominum attacks or terribly disparaging remarks -- as are all too often found on other venues. That is why, IMHO, this is such a superb forum for ideas.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Hmm, I noticed that too.
Hi give AU some slack. He's just probably cranky trying to dig out of all the snow. Probably hurt his back shoveling...
Old 02-11-2013, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
Hi give AU some slack. He's just probably cranky trying to dig out of all the snow. Probably hurt his back shoveling...
They still haven't properly plowed the streets near where I live. Pretty ridiculous
Old 02-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
This last exchange brought out why this is really a great forum. We exchanged divergent views and opinions yet (mainly) managed to present them without any ad hominum attacks or terribly disparaging remarks -- as are all too often found on other venues. That is why, IMHO, this is such a superb forum for ideas.
+1

- Mike

Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
To me the Cayenne plays in a different league in the same way as the Panny does compared to the 5-series. My wife drives a Cayenne and I've driven the GTS and Diesel but not the Turbo. It is IMO better than the X5 on almost every point except steering weight. That the X5 is so close to it and even wins comparos like this is a testament to what a good SUV it is not only in it's own class but in any class. We would likely have bought the X5 if I trusted the reliability and longetivity not because it's better than a Cayenne with similar options and power train ( it isn't IMO ) but because it's damn good and a smoking value with current discounts and incentives.

Last edited by solstice; 02-11-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 AM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Talking

Glad i stayed out of it! Die Wolfe is pretty bad dude..He came by my house this weekend in his M.
Launch control rocks..we did a few runs!
Just sayin!
Good Luck Boys!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps

Last edited by 5seriesHB; 02-12-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Glad i stayed out of it! Die Wolfe is pretty bad dude..He came by my house this weekend in his M.
Launch control rocks..we did a few runs!
Just sayin!
Good Luck Boys!
Haha, launch control all day!

1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-12-2013, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
The best of all worlds would be a Brabus GL
Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Sort of going off topic but what is this reference to the F30 crowds? I don't normally visit the other model forums.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
The best of all worlds would be a Brabus GL
Mercedes-Benz is lending me a GL63 AMG in the near future (just working out the scheduling). I don't see the need.

- Mike

Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 AM

Now that is an interesting use of AMG -- a GL class! Kind of like a 'slade with the really big engine. At some point you have to ask yourself -- "what's the point?" Will be looking forward to your review Mike!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:12 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAMG View Post
I have been following this thread for a few days and have resisted posting, but maybe I can get us back on topic. In November I went through this decision Ė an X5 or a Cayenne. The car is for my wife and so I wasnít looking at an X5M or a Turbo. I drive the car in the summer for a few months when we are in Wyoming but during the year only every other week or so. At the time I was driving a 991 C2s Cab and my wife a 2010 X5 4.8i with sport, full nappa, and 20s. I am familiar with Porsche and they make a great sports car (GT some would say). IMO the 911 competes at the low end against M6 and SL 63 AMG, and at the high end against the Audi R8 (V8). The 911 is actually the price bargain against all of those cars.

We were looking at the X5 M sport with 20s, full nappa, and the performance package (440 hp and 480 torque) and the Cayenne GTS. When you start to equip the two with the same options the list price delta is around $30K and the purchase delta is around $35K and if you lease the MF difference is .00125 vs .002 (3.0% vs 4.8%). From a performance stand point the X5 is faster and because of the greater torque down lower it is smoother. The Cayenne handles better but it is still an SUV and it ainít gonna reach 1.0 g cornering (at least no on 4 wheels). So you could say acceleration and handling are a draw or a tradeoff. On a couple of occasions I have driven a Cayenne loaner (V6) and the interior drove me crazy after a few hours in the car. IMO the X5 is cleaner and a little bigger. But the deal breaker for us was not another car with PCM. Buttons, buttons, buttons. The Idrive is cleaner and to me more intuitive. After a year using the PCM in the 911 I didnít want two cars with buttons and touch screen. Believe me punching in a street address on a screen is slow and more prone to error. In addition, being able to mail a destination to the car is a lot easier. In addition, we just couldnít find a Porsche standard color we liked (we got the X5 with Space Gray and the Nappa Sand Beige). The only way we could have found a color for the Porsche was to go with custom paint (PTS) and now a $40K delta.

The Cayenne is a nice car and maybe in three years if the new X5 doesnít interest me we will look at the Cayenne again and pay the extra $35K but right now the X5 and the Cayenne are really close and $35K is $35K.
This is exactly what I said. Agree completely.