Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-26-2015, 04:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: See Sig
What do you think of the new 7 series?

I think it's safe to say that the nex generation 5 will again be very similar to the new 7, so I'm wondering how this will effect your thinking about getting the next Generation 5.

Other than the now required (apparently) iPad stuck to the dash I think the interior is probably best in class. And in fairness, the screen is one of the better looking of that type. The exterior is hardly going to turn an eye as it looks like a very mild refresh. And I hate the boomerang that BMW think looks good on the side of all of their new cars now.
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2015, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
It will be pretty hard to top the F10 as far as exterior and interior design. There is a few design cues I do not like that will probably be incorporated into the new design, i.e. Ipad sticking out from the top of the dash and the headlight connected to the grille. No doubt all the magazines and BMW diehards will want the new 5 series to be more sport oriented. The big question is, will BMW sacrifice sales for bragging rights.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535ix 2008 E61
BMW will not sacrifice sales. They are in business for one thing, to make a profit. Period.
If they "dumb down" the 5 series they may lose some sales to some enthusiasts (but where do they go?) but gain more with mainstream buyers/leasors. The bottom line will rule.
Other: '08 E61
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: Too many to list, but includes 3,5,7 & 8 series BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, an Alfa Romeo, an MGB, Toyota Celica, Saab, Volvo, and others (yes I am old )
Old 06-26-2015, 06:55 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
I own a 5 series, and I still have to look twice at a 7 in order to tell whether or not it is indeed a 7 and not a 5.

BMW, as we all know, moved the design and architecture of the 5 to be further from the 3 and closer to the 7, beginning with the F10. I bet this has been really good for 5 series sales and lousy for 7 series sales. I think they are too similar.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinschela View Post
BMW will not sacrifice sales. They are in business for one thing, to make a profit. Period.
If they "dumb down" the 5 series they may lose some sales to some enthusiasts (but where do they go?) but gain more with mainstream buyers/leasors. The bottom line will rule.
I agree, BMW is in the business to make money and not bragging rights on some magazine. On my last post, I was thinking from the point of view that the F10 is already dumb down compare to pass designs. The question is, where do they go from here? Will they go back to the old formula and design the new 5 series to handle better but ride less comfortably? I am sure this will please the BMW enthusiast, but will it alienate those customers who made the F10 so successful? A few of my good friends who use to owned nothing but Mercedes have switched over to BMW for the first time due to the F10's improvement in ride comfort. Deep inside, most buyers looking for a daily commuter want some hint of sportiness in their car, but they are not willing to give up too much ride comfort. That is one of the reason the F10 has been so successful, it has a good balance of sportiness and ride comfort.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Deep inside, most buyers looking for a daily commuter want some hint of sportiness in their car, but they are not willing to give up too much ride comfort. That is one of the reason the F10 has been so successful, it has a good balance of sportiness and ride comfort.
As much I personally don't appreciate the 5 series' recent evolution, I think you are right on the nose here.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliCO View Post
As much I personally don't appreciate the 5 series' recent evolution, I think you are right on the nose here.
I think BMW made a good attempt at trying to please everybody with the F10, the 704 suspension and the DHP option was supposed to satisfied the BMW diehards. Of course we all know how that turned out, the problem is the size and the weight of the F10. Dimension wise, the F10 is probably one of the biggest 5 series ever made and probably the heaviest as well. Suspension technology hasn't really change enough in recent years for engineers to design a big heavy car that handles well and ride comfortably. The formula still remain somewhat the same, stiffer suspension = better handling, although BMW probably has the best balance of handling and comfort as far as suspension design is concerned, notwithstanding the negative affect of runflat tires. The new 5 series' design will reduce weight which will certainly help, the next generation of runflats are suppose to ride more comfortably and if BMW add in a automatic active suspension that actually works, they might have another winner on their hands.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
The mainstream cars are the cash cows that fund the R&D for the lower volume lines, so BMW won't mess with success. BMW has to compete head on with Mercedes and Audi so yes, the G30 will no doubt be a smaller G11 with less tech. I'm lukewarm on the G11 from what I've seen, but BMW seems to be reserving the more edgy styling for the I cars. Enthusiasts always have aftermarket components to mod what they don't like to a certain extent. The rumored M Performance versions of these cars with electric power assist (electric supercharger so to speak) may well appease enthusiasts. The i5 will be interesting as well but the launch date is a good 18 months after the G30.

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 06-26-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I think BMW made a good attempt at trying to please everybody with the F10, the 704 suspension and the DHP option was supposed to satisfied the BMW diehards. Of course we all know how that turned out, the problem is the size and the weight of the F10. Dimension wise, the F10 is probably one of the biggest 5 series ever made and probably the heaviest as well. Suspension technology hasn't really change enough in recent years for engineers to design a big heavy car that handles well and ride comfortably. The formula still remain somewhat the same, stiffer suspension = better handling, although BMW probably has the best balance of handling and comfort as far as suspension design is concerned, notwithstanding the negative affect of runflat tires. The new 5 series' design will reduce weight which will certainly help, the next generation of runflats are suppose to ride more comfortably and if BMW add in a automatic active suspension that actually works, they might have another winner on their hands.
Yes - although, the A6 is just as heavy as the F10, and Audi seems to have done a better job to preserve the "sport" part of the "sport sedan" equation.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Audi didn't have to design their suspension around runflats - IMO the biggest mistake BMW made with the F10. The suspension is tuned softer than it needs to be, and combined with less RFT grip loses a good 3 mph in a slalom. Dump the runflats and put a KW suspension on the F10 like I and many others did did and the car feels much sportier.
I'd be surprised if the G30 is not a much better handling car than the F10. I'm sure the 5 series team didn't enjoy the lukewarm response to the F10 from the automotive press.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliCO View Post
Yes - although, the A6 is just as heavy as the F10, and Audi seems to have done a better job to preserve the "sport" part of the "sport sedan" equation.
The A6 has a stiffer ride and it is on conventional tires, given that, the A6 should have much better handling than the F10, but it does, it is only a tad bit better. That is why I still say BMW has the best balance between handling and ride comfort. The A6 does feel light, my guess is that the Audi 3.0 supercharged engine is even more underrated than the N55.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: None
I'm friends with the head of BMW Safety and Driving Assistance and I was told whatever available in G11 in terms of automatic driving, it will be available in G30 as well.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: BART
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowyman View Post
I'm friends with the head of BMW Safety and Driving Assistance and I was told whatever available in G11 in terms of automatic driving, it will be available in G30 as well.
Can you ask your friend at BMW about the "Walze" issue? It will tremendously help with safety
Old 06-26-2015, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 523i
I can summarize my opinion in one word

GIMMICK
Old 06-26-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I think it's safe to say that the nex generation 5 will again be very similar to the new 7, so I'm wondering how this will effect your thinking about getting the next Generation 5.

Other than the now required (apparently) iPad stuck to the dash I think the interior is probably best in class. And in fairness, the screen is one of the better looking of that type. The exterior is hardly going to turn an eye as it looks like a very mild refresh. And I hate the boomerang that BMW think looks good on the side of all of their new cars now.
I saw it in person (my thread in 7-series forum). In short, exterior is ok - looks like a larger 3-series. Interior definitely is a major upgrade. It's more geared towards ultra-high luxury (S-Class) market. The tech (as expected) is really cool with bigger HUD, touchscreen navi, wireless phone charging, skylounge, navi based adaptive drive etc.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
The A6 has a stiffer ride and it is on conventional tires, given that, the A6 should have much better handling than the F10, but it does, it is only a tad bit better. That is why I still say BMW has the best balance between handling and ride comfort. The A6 does feel light, my guess is that the Audi 3.0 supercharged engine is even more underrated than the N55.
As you know I replaced my 550 with an A7. For three months I had both cars. I now have over 6000 miles on the A7. I can tell you that subjectively they drive very differently. The Audi feels 1000 lbs lighter. My Audi has 20" wheels that I will probably replace with 19s. The 20s make them feel more like the run flat tires, which I hated. But even allowing for that the Audi suspension feels more forgiving and more controlled than my 550 which had the dynamic dampers. Changing modes on the 550 simply changes which compromise you wanted to live with.
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale

Last edited by jjsC6; 06-27-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2015- 535i
I got a little bored late last week and did a "Build Your Own" on a new 7 on the BMWNA website. I did it first in a Dark Graphite and with that boomerang thing and with that ginormous piece of chrome down the side all I could think of was mid fifties Buick. Ok it was missing the portholes but that how it looked to me.
It just looked big and cumbersome and like some designer just threw stuff on trying to make it work.
The second time I did it in White with M-Sport and that whole boomerang/side molding thing turned black and I thought it looked ........ok, I'll try to be kind here........hideous! In my humble opinion they took what was at one time an absolutely gorgeous car and turned it into something more to laugh at than to admire.

I'm sure it will drive wonderfully and have more technology than some Spaceships a decade or so ago but it looks like someone told the rookie designer to "make it look different" and this is what came out.
I'm on my 10th BMW and I am totally addicted to them but if the G30 looks much like this I'll have to start shopping or keep mine until it won't go any longer.

So, my shields are up and those who love it can take their shots at me now.

2015 535i M-Sport/ Nutmeg Full Merino
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance/ DA Plus
Premium Package
Multi-Contour Seats
Harmon Kardon
and a few other toys
Old 07-19-2015, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530CE View Post
I got a little bored late last week and did a "Build Your Own" on a new 7 on the BMWNA website. I did it first in a Dark Graphite and with that boomerang thing and with that ginormous piece of chrome down the side all I could think of was mid fifties Buick. Ok it was missing the portholes but that how it looked to me.
It just looked big and cumbersome and like some designer just threw stuff on trying to make it work.
The second time I did it in White with M-Sport and that whole boomerang/side molding thing turned black and I thought it looked ........ok, I'll try to be kind here........hideous! In my humble opinion they took what was at one time an absolutely gorgeous car and turned it into something more to laugh at than to admire.

I'm sure it will drive wonderfully and have more technology than some Spaceships a decade or so ago but it looks like someone told the rookie designer to "make it look different" and this is what came out.
I'm on my 10th BMW and I am totally addicted to them but if the G30 looks much like this I'll have to start shopping or keep mine until it won't go any longer.

So, my shields are up and those who love it can take their shots at me now.
Agree..... Looks HIDEOUS, IMHO.......

2012 535i
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
Old 07-19-2015, 06:25 PM

It actually looks rather nice in person...the hockey sticks don't look bad.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i M-Sport
The only car I would want over my 535 is a 6 series coupe. I saw one last week in Alpine White. Best looking car I have ever seen from the front.

Current BMW
2015 535i M Sport

Prior BMW's
2012 335i
2004 X5
2004 545i
2004 M3
2004 330i
2002 745i
Old 07-19-2015, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
After seeing it a preview event, it looks a lot better in person. However, it is a conservative design, which is in line with the competitors in that segment.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535d
My understanding is the G11 has an option for a compact spare tire. Let's hope this makes it to the G30. That alone would be worth the upgrade. Icing on the cake would be the ability to order with go-flat tires too.

Cold Weather, DAP, LED Lights, Premium Package, Shades, MC Seats, HK Sound