Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-28-2014, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 3GT
Help! - Purchasing 5 Series or 3GT by end of month.

Hi Everyone!!

I really need as many people to help me as possible.
Long story short.....

I purchased a 328xi GT back in October. About a week ago, I was hit by a drunk driver and the car was totaled. I want to stay with BMW and am in a place now where I either want another 3GT (fully loaded) or maybe move into a 528i or 535i. There are a ton of deals going on now since we are at months end and ideally I would like to capitalize on them but I need your help in figuring out what sort of pricing I should be looking at.

I found a 535i that I can live with. The MSRP is $69,300. The dealer is selling to me at $61,300; which includes $2500 build out cash. Is this a good deal? If not, what should I be looking at as my final selling price?

Now, as we know....2014 models are selling pretty quickly so if I am unable to get one with the options that I want...I may have to do a custom build. If I move forward and do a custom build...my ideal 5 series would be as follows:

528xi
-Alpine White
-M Sport Line
-Black Dakota Leather (possible Ivory/Black but scared of dirty seats)
-Anthracite Wood Trim
-Premium Package
-Lighting Package
-Driver Assistance Package
-Luxury Seating Package
-Driver Assistance Plus (would be nice but not mandatory)
-Ceramic Controls
-Parking Assistant
-Soft Close Automatic Doors
-Harmon Kardon Surround Sound

so without the Drivers Assistance Plus -- I am looking at MSRP of $65,425
What price should I be looking for the dealership to give me? I really don't know much about invoice price and all that.

PLEASE HELP. Thanks so much you all.
Ads by Google
Old 07-29-2014, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 528xi
Invoice is 7% below MSRP at a line item level -- keeping in mind that MSRP also includes the $925-950 Destination charge.

Looks like your offer is 11.5% off MSRP which is consistent with what I found most dealers were offering in my area. I did find one dealer willing to offer 14.5% off MSRP on an in stock 528X but that was really an exception verses the rule (at least what I found).

Good luck.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
https://www.truecar.com will tell you what your configured car is selling for in your area and you can judge the dealer price based on that. You can also go through the whole Truecar process and take it to the dealer and try to get that price or just buy it at the no haggle Truecar price and dealer they work with in your area (this is usually NOT the closest one). Be aware however that once you go through the final step, the dealer you buy from is obligated to pay the Truecar fee. You have to pay attention to all the dealer add on fees but there are a many threads on that topic.

BTW, at the F10 MSRP you are quoting, you are in 5 GT territory.

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 07-29-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
https://www.truecar.com will tell you what your configured car is selling for in your area and you can judge the dealer price based on that. You can also go through the whole Truecar process and take it to the dealer and try to get that price or just buy it at the no haggle Truecar price and dealer they work with in your area (this is usually NOT the closest one). Be aware however that once you go through the final step, the dealer you buy from is obligated to pay the Truecar fee. You have to pay attention to all the dealer add on fees but there are a many threads on that topic.

BTW, at the F10 MSRP you are quoting, you are in 5 GT territory.
Can I ask what you mean by "I am in 5GT territory"? I actually really want a 5GT but I don't think I am able to afford it just yet (27 years old and don't want lease over $725 with 5k down).

Thanks for the TrueCar advice!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
I hope you survived the accident without too much trauma. The price on the 2014 535 seems like a reasonable deal. However, you should be able to get the 2015 528 at approximately the same price and because it is a year newer model, it will be worth more when you sell it. Be aware that the 328 is very different than the 5-series in terms of size, road feel and handling. Also be aware that that the 328, 528 and 535 are very different in terms of accelerator response (not just 0-60). So make sure you are happy with the differences before you make the decision. Of course not having a car until the 2015 model comes in is a consideration.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
I hope you survived the accident without too much trauma. The price on the 2014 535 seems like a reasonable deal. However, you should be able to get the 2015 528 at approximately the same price and because it is a year newer model, it will be worth more when you sell it. Be aware that the 328 is very different than the 5-series in terms of size, road feel and handling. Also be aware that that the 328, 528 and 535 are very different in terms of accelerator response (not just 0-60). So make sure you are happy with the differences before you make the decision. Of course not having a car until the 2015 model comes in is a consideration.
Oh wow. So you think waiting on a 2015 5-series would garner roughly the same price? I didn't think I would be able to get 11+ percent off MSRP on the 2015. Also, my dealer told me that 2015 models wouldn't get in until December....which is a bit strange because I purchased my 2014 3 Gran Turismo in October and it had been in the showroom since September. Hopefully he was being honest and not just trying to get me to purchase the 2014 to clear inventory.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesknox View Post
Can I ask what you mean by "I am in 5GT territory"? I actually really want a 5GT but I don't think I am able to afford it just yet (27 years old and don't want lease over $725 with 5k down).

Thanks for the TrueCar advice!

I only meant you could configure a 5gt for $69k as well. But you probably already did that and leasing complicates the comparison. I was thinking buy not rent.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I always thought that invoice on BMW is 8% off not including regional MACO and training fee.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
I only meant you could configure a 5gt for $69k as well. But you probably already did that and leasing complicates the comparison. I was thinking buy not rent.
Oh makes sense. Can I ask you this. With 11k off MSRP....do you think it's safe to do a BMW Select Finance??? I mean does the discount upfront sort of keep me from being too upside down at the end of my loan?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Oh wow. So you think waiting on a 2015 5-series would garner roughly the same price? I didn't think I would be able to get 11+ percent off MSRP on the 2015. Also, my dealer told me that 2015 models wouldn't get in until December....which is a bit strange because I purchased my 2014 3 Gran Turismo in October and it had been in the showroom since September. Hopefully he was being honest and not just trying to get me to purchase the 2014 to clear inventory.
The 2015 model that you speced has a lower MSRP than the 2014. You should be able to buy it for approximately 7% off MSRP. Hence the end price will be approximately the same. 2015 models are arriving at the local dealers here this week. If you order one to your specifications, it will take at least six weeks to arrive. It could be more depending on your dealer allocations.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
The 2015 model that you speced has a lower MSRP than the 2014. You should be able to buy it for approximately 7% off MSRP. Hence the end price will be approximately the same. 2015 models are arriving at the local dealers here this week. If you order one to your specifications, it will take at least six weeks to arrive. It could be more depending on your dealer allocations.
Where exactly can I go to build the 2015 model? The BMWUSA website is still defaulting me to building a 2014.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Where exactly can I go to build the 2015 model? The BMWUSA website is still defaulting me to building a 2014.
A I am also looking at a 2015. My CA told me that the website will change when BMWNA feels that they have gotten rid of the 2014s. Your CA may have access to a configurator that is not available yet online. As of two weeks ago my CA did not. Your other choice is to look at the 2015 pricing guide sticky at the top of this forum and figure it out. It's a PIA, but I had to do it on BMWs that I ordered before the website became current.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
A I am also looking at a 2015. My CA told me that the website will change when BMWNA feels that they have gotten rid of the 2014s. Your CA may have access to a configurator that is not available yet online. As of two weeks ago my CA did not. Your other choice is to look at the 2015 pricing guide sticky at the top of this forum and figure it out. It's a PIA, but I had to do it on BMWs that I ordered before the website became current.
Oh wow. I just did it and a 528i with even more packages than I originally wanted is 66,175MSRP. Do you think I could really get 7k off of that?

I am in Atlanta..so if I did the performance center deliver (which I believe is in SC) would it be even cheaper?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 535-XI
If you can find where they are doing the BMW drive event you can get another $1000.00 off
Old 07-29-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJH-5 View Post
If you can find where they are doing the BMW drive event you can get another $1000.00 off
We actually have one today in Atlanta that I am going to. However, you must take delivery in 60 days. Will a custom build be able to be delivered in 60 days?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:36 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Just a kind request: stay away from BMW GT cars (no matter 3 or 5) - they are so ugly. We need to tell BMW not to whore the brand just to have every possible niche market covered!

But that's just me, YMMV

Old 07-29-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldCAD View Post
Just a kind request: stay away from BMW GT cars (no matter 3 or 5) - they are so ugly. We need to tell BMW not to whore the brand just to have every possible niche market covered!

But that's just me, YMMV
While your opinion is respected; I LOVED my 3GT.
And if your only reason for thinking it shouldn't exist is because you don't find it aesthetically pleasing then that's just sad that we are in a place in our society that we feel our opinion on something should determine if it exists or not. Very "hitler-esque" of you.

My 3GT had more back seat room than a 5 series, the elevated driving position was wonderful, the hatch space was wonderful and I particularly enjoyed driving it.

So yep...MMDV (MY MILEAGE DID VARY).
Old 07-29-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
We actually have one today in Atlanta that I am going to. However, you must take delivery in 60 days. Will a custom build be able to be delivered in 60 days?
I'd say that's unlikely. Last year the UDE certificate was good till Oct 31. My car arrived Oct 23 and took my CA swapping for a build slot with a dealer in SoCal. You'd have to get a very early 2015 build slot that are prioritized for dealers. Your order would need to match one they would buy for the lot in order to swap your order with their slot.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
You should be able to get 7% off not 7K. Performance Center delivery is not less expensive, but it is well worth it for the experience. It actually takes a little longer to deliver it there because they schedule your PC delivery with enough cushion in it in anticipation of possible delivery delays and because they can only accommodate a fixed number of deliveries each day. Sixty days isn't out of the question if your dealer has a production allocation scheduled within the next week or so that they are willing to assign it to you.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Very "hitler-esque" of you.
Do you realize what you just wrote? I'm Polish...

PEACE.

PS. Perhaps the verb "whoring" was excessive on my side; sorry for that - didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Last edited by MoldCAD; 07-29-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Do you realize what you just wrote? I'm Polish...

PEACE.

PS. Perhaps the verb "whoring" was excessive on my side; sorry for that - didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
The fact that you are Polish has nothing to do with it. I wasn't indeed calling you Hitler. That would be rude and insensitive; especially since we are talking about material values and not the lives of innocent people. What I meant by the comment was the mentality that something shouldn't exist because we don't particularly love it, is a very hitler-espue mentality and it's not cool.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
The fact that you are Polish has nothing to do with it. I wasn't indeed calling you Hitler. That would be rude and insensitive; especially since we are talking about material values and not the lives of innocent people. What I meant by the comment was the mentality that something shouldn't exist because we don't particularly love it, is a very hitler-espue mentality and it's not cool.
Now you're exaggerating; I just expressed my opinion and then apologized for perhaps too strong a wording.

PEACE. I'm shutting up on this.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Now you're exaggerating; I just expressed my opinion and then apologized for perhaps too strong a wording.

PEACE. I'm shutting up on this.
Didn't see your apology until now. I think it was the word "whoring" which sort of rattled my feathers. Haha. Thanks! We're all good! :-)
Old 07-29-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Didn't see your apology until now. I think it was the word "whoring" which sort of rattled my feathers. Haha. Thanks! We're all good! :-)
Yes we are. Sorry again for being too harsh in my original statement; I can realize how you felt having had chosen the GT in the first place. But my "strong verb" has just been my personal opinion towards BMW as a company, not you personally