Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-14-2014, 04:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328/formula350/mb3204mat
iphone 6??

hi

Wondering if there was any news regarding the new Apple iPhone 6, regarding:

a) overall compatability?
b)a new center console cradle coming out??

I'd like to possibly upgrade but don't want to find any major snags (re 'a")

Thanks
330xi 04 blk(j) blk lther, coldwp/sport/premium pkg's, DNAV,HK,R elec sunshad, xenon, plushmats,cd chger,StepT, Runflts w/alert,sirus sat . 328is 98,525xi-2007-Idrive/nav, headsup and 20waaayout seats,2000 328i wagon.X5D, blk/blk. 2014 535xi
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2014, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
The cradles arrive very slowly. I would allow 8 to 12 months. I just use the Apple USB cable to connect my iPhone.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 09-14-2014, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
The cradles arrive very slowly. I would allow 8 to 12 months.
Even that may be optimistic.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M sport
I just want to know if the iphone 6 Plus will fit in the F10 cupholder.

Otherwise there won't be anywhere to keep it if its too big.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535ix 2008 E61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post

Velcro it to the headliner? 8-)
Other: '08 E61
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: Too many to list, but includes 3,5,7 & 8 series BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, an Alfa Romeo, an MGB, plus others.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive M-Sport
iphone 6??

This works wonderfully with the F10 middle vents. There is a larger version available that would work with the iPhone 6 Plus.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/HF...unt-for-iphone

Why would anyone plug in via USB instead of using Bluetooth and going wireless?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Quintus; 09-14-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-sport
Quote:

Aren't the dimensions on Apple.com? Measure the cup holder. Door pocket for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
To charge after a day at work.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, Sport Auto, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:57 AM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive M-Sport
Ah.....for charging....of course. My bad.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 13 ActiveHybrid5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintus View Post

For BMW Connect App. So I can control Pandora and other BMW compatible Apps.

Current:
14 smart electric drive
14 MB E350
13 BMW ActiveHybrid5
Past:
85 Corolla GT-S / 98 MB ML320 / 06 S2000 / 08 EVO X MR / 11 G37S 6MT / 12 MBZ E350 Bluetec
BMW CCA Member #457884
Old 09-15-2014, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 M Sport xDrive
Quote:

There are plenty of other places to put it. The compartments on either one of the doors. Inside the center console. Inside the storage area to the left of the steering wheel. Glove box.
2011 F10 BMW 535i Sport xDrive - Alpine White/Black/Anthracite - Cold Weather Package - Premium Package - Premium Package 2 - All Black Front Grilles - Color Matched Reflectors - M5 Rear Spoiler - 35% Tint - Xpel Clear Bra

Old 09-15-2014, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
I had a center cradle for my iPhone 4 and rarely used it. I use a Mophie battery extender/protective cover and it's a major hassle to take it on and off. Cradle offers charging- USB cable does same thing, and marginal better antenna because it hooks into the car's antennas.

I've turned all my friends on to Mophie. 80/100/120% models. Great add on. I charge my phone every 2 days now.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Obsession View Post
There are plenty of other places to put it. The compartments on either one of the doors. Inside the center console. Inside the storage area to the left of the steering wheel. Glove box.
Yes, but none of those places allow for easy and/or quick access to the phone. Currently when my iphone5 is sitting in the left cupholder, I can glance at it to see the text etc...
Old 09-15-2014, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 M Sport xDrive
Quote:
Yes, but none of those places allow for easy and/or quick access to the phone. Currently when my iphone5 is sitting in the left cupholder, I can glance at it to see the text etc...
Not to sound holier-than-thou, but why would you need to see a text while driving? I certainly hope you wouldn't respond to it while driving. And is there really a text that's that important? People have been driving for quite a while without receiving texts.

Of course since your phone will Bluetooth to iDrive, it doesn't need to be out/visible to be functional as far as phone calls. But there again, knowing it's a safety concern, we don't really need to be on a phone call while driving unless it's an absolute emergency do we?

Not trying to be a dick, but putting your phone in an alternate compartment is a solution to your question, plus keeps us all a little safer.
2011 F10 BMW 535i Sport xDrive - Alpine White/Black/Anthracite - Cold Weather Package - Premium Package - Premium Package 2 - All Black Front Grilles - Color Matched Reflectors - M5 Rear Spoiler - 35% Tint - Xpel Clear Bra

Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
I can access siri to read and reply to my texts through the cars audio system. Can pre lci F10's do this?

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 09-16-2014, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
I can access siri to read and reply to my texts through the cars audio system. Can pre lci F10's do this?
When I do this with siri it doesn't mark the texts as read after reading them to me, so that if I get another text and tell siri 'read new texts' it reads them all again. Have you found a solution to this?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Sorry this really is not a good idea. Better to have texts read to you than try to look at them. Let's assume you can glance down for just 2 seconds. At "only" 60 mph, your car will travel 178 feet, enough for someone to cut you off or 178 fewer feet to hit the brakes if someone in front stops. Think about 60 yards on a football field.
Past: Too many to list, but includes 3,5,7 & 8 series BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, an Alfa Romeo, an MGB, plus others.

Last edited by weinschela; 09-16-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Obsession View Post
Not to sound holier-than-thou, but why would you need to see a text while driving? I certainly hope you wouldn't respond to it while driving. And is there really a text that's that important? People have been driving for quite a while without receiving texts.

Of course since your phone will Bluetooth to iDrive, it doesn't need to be out/visible to be functional as far as phone calls. But there again, knowing it's a safety concern, we don't really need to be on a phone call while driving unless it's an absolute emergency do we?

Not trying to be a dick, but putting your phone in an alternate compartment is a solution to your question, plus keeps us all a little safer.
I own several different businesses; my car is an extension of my office. So yes, I NEED to be on my phone. That's why bluetooth is part of the system, no? Where did I say that I text while driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post

Alan
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinschela View Post
Sorry this really is not a good idea. Better to have texts read to you than try to look at them. Let's assume you can glance down for just 2 seconds. At "only" 60 mph, your car will travel 178 feet, enough for someone to cut you off or 178 fewer feet to hit the brakes if someone in front stops.
I sit at a lot of stoplights. Plenty of time to grab my phone and read a 2 line text. Having it in the cupholder instead of the glove box makes that action much easier and shorter.

Where I keep my phone is my business. I simply asked about the size of the new iPhone.

You guys can get of your soapboxes now.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: E60
Here's a site that compares all models of iphone.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/
Old 09-16-2014, 05:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to floridaman100
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328I
You can view your text messages through the Idrive/navigation screen. When I receive a text message there is a message icon that appears on nav screen. I have one of the radio buttons set as a shortcut to messages. Once I view the message I use text to speech and the message is read to me through audio system.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I own several different businesses; my car is an extension of my office. So yes, I NEED to be on my phone. That's why bluetooth is part of the system, no? Where did I say that I text while driving?

Nope.

I sit at a lot of stoplights. Plenty of time to grab my phone and read a 2 line text. Having it in the cupholder instead of the glove box makes that action much easier and shorter.

Where I keep my phone is my business. I simply asked about the size of the new iPhone.

You guys can get of your soapboxes now.
Good luck to you pal. Just don't want to read about Forum members crashing their machines. Lots of people who say they don't text while driving do text while driving. If you really don't that's good.