Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-25-2014, 06:59 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
As my time with my F10 nears being up, some updated thoughts & perspectives....

Thought I'd post this, as my "term" with the F10, from day one, has been pretty well documented here. I've been in a 24 month lease, got an incredible deal that's also well documented here, and enjoyed the experience of already just over 20K miles enough to where being that my next car won't be had for such a blowout-type value deal, and won't be "rented", stakes are almost frighteningly high, thus are expectations. My F10 experience is partially to blame for that.

I've gone on about my experience with this car being hampered by, maybe due to getting older thus needing to sit up straighter, an uncomfortably alien (height wise) fit in the car. But that's been covered, and certainly not something unique to the F10. I want to make it fully clear that this issue (again, not unique to the F10) has brought on a deal of resentment toward the car that I can't help but feel. But it's something quite unique to me.

Now, that aside. I'll list things that I still love about the car, things that I've cooled off on, and things that I'm okay with:

To get it out of the way: By far the best car I've ever owned/leased/had, whatever you want to call it, thus far.

---------------------------------------------------

First, RELIABILITY:

Granted, this is the most technologically advanced car I've had yet, it's also been the most glitchy. I'm talking little glitches. Rebooting of iDrive a couple of times, my HUD being scrambled just once, some of the Panel Display graphic settings not working on rare occasions.

The biggest issue I've had with the car is screwy doors. I had a rear door pop open on the freeway once (not fully unlatched, just popped out into the secondary latch position). Then it happened once to my drivers door, again, into the secondary latch position. I've also had the latch "stick" at times, making opening the door feel messed up, and making it so the door "BANGED" against the latch hook when I'd try and close it (startling).

Other than that, it's actually been the most reliable car I've had for a two year period, if you're going by how often I've been in a loaner. Which has been.... no times! My Mercedes' had me in and out of C Classes often, even my trusty beater Malibu that I piled miles on and treated like crap, had to go in for a thing or two.

The gear lever isn't the most intelligent functioning thing, which has had me accidentally press "P" a time or two, while the car was rolling, and I've had some creaks recently starting to pop around the sunroof area (the ONLY place in this car that makes noises), however, other than some slightly annoying nuances, the car has been rock solid.

The biggest issue I've had in this regard was my tire blowout fiasco, where I learned that BMW's Runflat "no spare" game is kind of a scam-puzzle they put you through.... to get you back into their dealers to buy tires at their markups (you have no other choice really). It drove me nuts, as I'm the type that likes to do my own diligence, take it where I want to take it, and not overpay for things.

To note, if I would've just went to the dealer in the first place, it would've been the best option, but that's due to the hoops BMW made me jump through to do it my own way. Basically, you're in their command if your tire blows out.

----------------------------------------------------------

THINGS I LIKE OR LOVE:

-N55 I6: What a great motor. The only bad things I can say about it are that it's quite inconsistent, in that it has its off and on days. Perhaps it's extra sensitive to heat, humidity or whatever affects Turbo engines most. When it's feeling good, it feels good. When you can get it to audible levels, it sounds glorious, even through the muffling of the thick F10 chassis. It gets near economy car MPG, has gobs of torque on the road to even do your best hillbilly-muscle-car impression. It does run out of breath after 5K RPM's which is a letdown, but if you do lots of city driving, it's a worthy tradeoff.

-JET BLACK PAINT DURABLITY: I've had a fun time enjoying the sharp look during the first year when I kept it obsessively clean (this last year I let it look like it's been off roading before I finally wash it.... taking advantage of the whole "I'm giving back the rental" thing before I have to start OCD caring about a car again). But, it's the DURABILITY that's surprised me most. Yes, it's chipped in places due to road debris that I've never had a car do before (like on the doors), so it's definitely soft, but the horror stories about swirling didn't play out. The first time I let a car wash handle it, they swirled it bad. Then I got all the right products and did it myself, and even though I don't put much effort into it lately, it still comes out with very little swirls. Even taking it to a (better) car wash after I stopped caring, it isn't too swirled up at all. Otherwise, I find that black got a little boring to me after a while (always one of my worst favorite colors on cars, hides the details), but that could be due to letting it get so dirty now.

-DESIGN : The F10 is an amazing 4 Door design, period. Hard to fault it. Just when I think I'm getting used to or bored of or unappreciative of it, I walk up to it at the right angle, and it's just gorgeous. Gonna be hard to top it. It's timeless, not angular, it's smooth, and curvy, all the right ingredients. No frills, which is something to cherish as the next 5 will undoubtedly add some.

INTERIOR: Still a great place to be. Naturally, as other cars have come along, some have impressed me more, but the interior is aging well and is just a rich and substantial environment. Some of the buttons and switches are a bit on the cheap side though (window switches, levers around the wheel, etc.).

-iDRIVE/TECH: No complaints, best infotainment in a car that I've used (haven't gotten too acquainted with Audi's). Good Voice Command, good enough Nav, and all the "bells and whistles" I need (though I don't need many, not my primary thing with cars). I just wish I had the kick-trunk-close thing (the kick to open could be more refined as well).

------------

THINGS I DON'T LIKE AS MUCH:

-HANDLING/STEERING: The more I drive the car, after getting the floaty/boat on choppy waters feeling of my Mercedes' behind me, the F10 increasingly started feeling less sporty. To the point where I can feel it float and wallow during moderate driving. After getting Mercedes' over boosted "soccer mom steering" behind me, the F10's steering started feeling less and less precise, accurate, fluid or involving. Certainly not like previous BMW's nor the 640i Gran Coupe. Not terrible by any means, but just less impressive, and relinquishing a passionate connection with me. The car has managed to feel larger and more wafty to me, after time, almost like it's too "mature" riding for what I'm looking for. I would have loved for an option for ARS/DHP ON the 704 suspension, to tighten and liven things up.

M SPORT FRONT BUMPER: I wish it was just a liiiiittle bit more aggressive, without sacrificing the cars elegance or grace. The 3 and 6's IMO have slightly more cunning M Sport front bumpers.

----------------------------

THINGS I'M MODERATE ON:

-ZF8 "SPORT AUTO": The ZF8 is obviously the benchmark for "slushboxes", i.e non-double clutch auto's, and BMW's is one of the best tuned, but since driving some dual-clutch's, and it learning my "second half" lazier driving style (as I try and not wear the tires out too much so I hopefully don't have to pay for new ones, since I did some good roastings during my first half with the car), it's started to feel a liiiitle more like an "auto slushbox" than the double-clutch impersonator it did to me when I got the car. Sometimes I can feel the power being sapped out when I try and get on it, and sometimes it kind of does that little "oceanic jolt" that doesn't feel so crisp. Then, sometimes it feels sharp and light on its feet. Again, like the N55, it has its really "on" days and its lazier days.

-SUSPENSION/CHASSIS COMFORT: I put this here simply because of my comparison with the 6 Gran Coupe. The Gran Coupe I drove, on 20's, felt a little bit tighter in rigidity, especially when going over bumps, and even on 20's with ultra thin tire sidewalls, it went over rough roads even smoother. The 704 on my F10 is VERY smooth. And it shocked me as to how it could out handle by floaty and sea-sick inducing E Classes, and also go over bumps so smoothly (while the E's felt like they wanted to fall apart when the roads got rough). The F10 is still one of the smoothest cars I've ever driven, but I guess the 6 GC just added that extra bit of compliance and balance that got me giving it a benchmark over the F10 in that regard.

---------------------------

That's all I can think of right now. Overall, what I still love about the car is how well executed it is as a thorough modern luxury car with a classic grace in design. What I crave that it doesn't provide as much as I currently seek is a sharp and "tighter" car to mix with that refinement (i.e draw a more parallel balance). Overall, I think think it's the 4 door midsize Luxury benchmark, though if I were to go midsize Luxury Sedan again, being that I already had the E Class and F10, I'd probably give the A6 a strong look to see if its sportier intentions are more my speed right now, since I feel like the F10 really culminated the inherent luxury aspect of the current crop of Luxury Midsizes, and I don't think you can do better than it there.

Ordered: Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350 "Sport", '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 09-25-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550ix Msport
Thanks for the generous and honest appraisal of the F10....agree with much of what you said.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Agree with most of it too. I do think BMW left some potential on the table by saddling the car with runflats and tuning the suspension to compensate. MoldCADs post about switching to non runflats confirms this a bit. It never really made sense to me that some SUVs (higher c of g, and Audis (nose heavy)) were getting higher ratings for handling and fun to drive. Think it all comes down to run flats. But I also think BMW will never change their mind on this.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Thought I'd post this, as my "term" with the F10, from day one, has been pretty well documented here. I've been in a 24 month lease, got an incredible deal that's also well documented here, and enjoyed the experience of already just over 20K miles enough to where being that my next car won't be had for such a blowout-type value deal, and won't be "rented", stakes are almost frighteningly high, thus are expectations. My F10 experience is partially to blame for that.
Will F80 M3 be a candidate? Also, is there a compelling reason to "won't be rented" for the next car? It would also be interesting to find out the buyout value, maybe they will offer 20% off residual.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:36 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Very nice. What I like most are the areas where you've changed your mind after you went out and drove the field as you looked for your next car. It's a good exercise to look around a bit these days, since the industry is changing so rapidly.

I loved my E60 so much, I told myself the 5er is the perfect car, and I'd just drive one after another indefinitely. Therefore, the only car I tested in between my E60 and my F10 was a 640 at the Ultimate Drive event - mostly because it was there. That might have done more harm than good. It seated my confidence in the power of the N55 (as I was coming off of a V8 E60), which was good, but also gave me bad information on what DHP could do for a larger BMW. I didn't learn until much later that the 640 xDrive has both the 704 suspension and DHP, one of very few BMWs that do. I've no idea how anyone who doesn't spend hours on this forum would figure that out.

In any case, I will never jump from one car to another again without testing the field. My bad.

The F10 is a pretty good car, but not a really good BMW for people who have been around them a while. The driving dynamics just aren't there.

Last edited by WillInDenver; 09-25-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:20 PM

My F30 328i replaced my old E39 530i 2 years ago. The cars test driven at the time were F10 535i, E350, A6, A4, and the F30 328i. F30 beat A4 hands down, while A6 stood above 535i and E350. I almost signed the contract for a MY12 F10 535i at $10k off MSRP, but just couldn't get over the driving dynamics. The 328i is a nice balance of comfort and performance, and it does not have the extra poundage to drag it down. Hopefully the next 5 will have some of the magic back, we will see.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Thank you very much for your honest appraisal and entertainment value of your posts in the past. You write well and honestly. I hope you do not leave us when you get your new Porsche.

I, too, am getting close to the end of my lease (I have a 3 year lease and am within 6 months of its end) and beginning to think with what I am going to replace my car. I have 27K miles on my F10, so far, and have thought of writing a review but I do not have your following so not sure if it would have any value to the posters on this forum.

Of your observations I most identify with the tire issues. I have never had a car where the tires are such a significant problem. My front tires were replaced free of charge at 15K miles and my rear tires wore out at 22K miles. Now, with 12K miles on them, the front tires are noisy again. They say alignment is OK, but where is it written that a $60K (msrp) car should have these issues. It is sheer nonsense and makes me think that another (my 14th if I choose to go that way) BMW is not in my future.

I chose the lowest power model in the range (528i) which may have been a mistake since I think most people get more pleasure from the 535i. Having now driven 2014 model year 528i, 535i, 535d and 550i, I know pretty much which one I would have (the 535d) but the tire issue worries me. I want to keep this next one for 7 years (for reasons I will not go into here) and a car that devours tires like my 2012 528i is not a responsibility I want to take on.

Also that sexy (to me at least) MSport front end seems to be a chip magnet and I now probably need to respray the front bumper before I return it at the end of the lease. In other words this car has cost me a fortune. $1500 for new rear tires (and probably the same again to replace the front tires again), alignment and balancing and probably in excess of $1000 for a respray. The so called free maintenance is nonsense. You easily pay the equivalent cost in tire replacement and the cost of the maintenance is in the high capital cost of BMWs. I had a Jag XF for 3 years and it cost me far less even though I paid for the services.

Anyway enough of the moaning. F10s are easily one of the best looking of the BMW range (although I think the 4 series now challenges it) and the build quality seems excellent since I have had no issues with anything other than the tires. So like you, what to do?

Again thank you and wish you well with your new Macan.

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 09-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Thanks for such a very straightforward write-up. It sounds like you might be done with leasing. Have you given any though to what would be your next vehicle?

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 09-25-2014, 04:21 PM
Dark Knight

Glad it be if some value. Especially now that it's become more of a rounded out experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Will F80 M3 be a candidate? Also, is there a compelling reason to "won't be rented" for the next car? It would also be interesting to find out the buyout value, maybe they will offer 20% off residual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
Thanks for such a very straightforward write-up. It sounds like you might be done with leasing. Have you given any though to what would be your next vehicle?

Thanks! If you can make your easy through the text book that is my "next car" thread, the leasing/buying thing is explained. I wish I could say that it's as romantic as me "wanting to experience owning a car" or something like that, but really it's because I've chosen the Macan and the leases suck on it, lol. As I did say in the other thread though, only car I really would "buy" is a Porsche as they seem to "culture" their brand more that way (without huge lease subsidies, etc.) And as an enthusiast I hugely respect that (thus feel comfortable enough buying) and know it more-so protects the future value of their cars (be it financially and/or in regard).... BUT as a financial decision, I would wish they'd make an exception on me and give me the one highly subsidized/high residual/low interest lease on a Macan, put that downpayment in the bank, and just buy it after the lease if I wanted to.

Also considered the M3. I guess it's a long story (part of the dictionary of words that is my "car search" thread. ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitby View Post
Thank you very much for your honest appraisal and entertainment value of your posts in the past. You write well and honestly. I hope you do not leave us when you get your new Porsche.

I, too, am getting close to the end of my lease (I have a 3 year lease and am within 6 months of its end) and beginning to think with what I am going to replace my car. I have 27K miles on my F10, so far, and have thought of writing a review but I do not have your following so not sure if it would have any value to the posters on this forum.

Of your observations I most identify with the tire issues. I have never had a car where the tires are such a significant problem. My front tires were replaced free of charge at 15K miles and my rear tires wore out at 22K miles. Now, with 12K miles on them, the front tires are noisy again. They say alignment is OK, but where is it written that a $60K (msrp) car should have these issues. It is sheer nonsense and makes me think that another (my 14th if I choose to go that way) BMW is not in my future.

I chose the lowest power model in the range (528i) which may have been a mistake since I think most people get more pleasure from the 535i. Having now driven 2014 model year 528i, 535i, 535d and 550i, I know pretty much which one I would have (the 535d) but the tire issue worries me. I want to keep this next one for 7 years (for reasons I will not go into here) and a car that devours tires like my 2012 528i is not a responsibility I want to take on.

Also that sexy (to me at least) MSport front end seems to be a chip magnet and I now probably need to respray the front bumper before I return it at the end of the lease. In other words this car has cost me a fortune. $1500 for new rear tires (and probably the same again to replace the front tires again), alignment and balancing and probably in excess of $1000 for a respray. The so called free maintenance is nonsense. You easily pay the equivalent cost in tire replacement and the cost of the maintenance is in the high capital cost of BMWs. I had a Jag XF for 3 years and it cost me far less even though I paid for the services.

Anyway enough of the moaning. F10s are easily one of the best looking of the BMW range (although I think the 4 series now challenges it) and the build quality seems excellent since I have had no issues with anything other than the tires. So like you, what to do?

Again thank you and wish you well with your new Macan.
Thanks very much. Yeah I do think you would've been happy with the 535i a little more so. Probably might handle a little more "ungainly" if anything, but the engine seems better suited for the chassis overall.

Two options I wish BMW provided on this car: A 704 with ARS/DHP, and like a louder induction kit (not exhaust necessary as the I6's I find don't always sound great through exhaust, though I've heard some great N55 sound clips, but the engine noise is outstanding). The F30 configurator has SO many cool little extras now (mostly cosmetic, but I'll take that as well), even M3 blue brake calipers (which also makes the M3 continue to have a harder time looking apart from an F30 that's optioned to try and look like one). It'd be awesome to have some more sport options and accessories to get straight from the factory.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
The 704 suspension alone is not sufficient to hold the F10 as firmly as the E60.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:30 AM
Jack the cat

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I have driven BMW's since the mid 90's (when I could start to afford them) and it has been my brand since. Progressing from 3 series to 5 series which included a 523i (E39) during the time I lived in Munich and worked near Salzburg. In Germany, with speeds of 140 on the Autobahn, the BMW was by far the best handling at those speeds. Audi was close and Mercedes simply did not compare.

I purchased my F10 535i in late 2010, Imperial Blue with tan leather. It is the most beautiful of the BMW's I have owned; I continue to get compliments after 4 years. Compared to prior models, it is less sporty, but has much more of a luxury feel. The 535 engine is great with plenty of power to spare.

After 4 years it has been an absolutely reliable car. Only one small non-maintenace issue. I replaced the original run flats at 35,000 miles and still have the second set at 58,000. I do not feel a problem with the performance of the run flats. And, the alternative to run flats for the many cars now being sold without a spare is worse, in my opinion. My wife's Audi TT came with a repair kit and pump, which I cannot imagine her using somewhere. She now has run flats.

The only real issue I have is related to technology. Updating the Nav is a real issue unless you go the "out of network" route. It would be a great day if BMW would go to an Apple CarPlay type approach where the Nav screen was the mirror of the phone and the IDrive controlled the interface. But, given what BMW must make on technology, and the tech people they have which they would have to get rid of, not optimistic about this improving.

I will keep mine until the new model, then see what happens. Must say my wife's Audi Quattro is a very nice driving car.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
Have you given any though to what would be your next vehicle?
350+ posts and counting: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=786762
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, Sport Auto, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Jaguar F-Type S
My 2012 F10 was an exceptional car and I would have gotten another without question, except I wanted a convertible. Extremely reliable and the only service issue I had was a battery replacement at 10,000 miles. I have to agree with most of what you said. The one thing I could never overcome with my 535i was the “floaty, wallowy, wafty” feeling you described. I had the DDC and even in sport mode the vague feeling was still there. I often found myself over-correcting the steering on the highway, as the numb feeling made it hard to judge exactly where I was in the lane. Perhaps different non-runflat tires would have helped and I can only assume some of these issues have improved from my 2012. Overall a great car!

2014 Jaguar F-Type S Ebony/Jet
Previous:
2012 535i M Sport Alpine White/Oyster & Black
2011 328i Convertible Mineral White/Oyster & Black
2006 325i Convertible Alpine White/Tan
Old 09-26-2014, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto:
It is really intriguing the improvement in ride and handling 704 married to DHP gives. WillInDenver speaks of the 640i xDrive containing that combination. It surprises me because in the F10 you cannot get the 704 suspension with xDrive and yet the 640i xDrive MSport allows it. This means BMW have a totally different mindset when comparing the F10 to the 640i xDrive. Perhaps they need not restrict updates to software and cosmetics. They should update their philosophy!
Old 09-26-2014, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto:
Had my 520d for 3 years and have covered 105,000 miles loved it so much I have a new one coming on Monday!

Only issue in all this time was the lacquer came off the wheels and they were replaced under warranty.

Thanks guys
Old 09-26-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
It is really intriguing the improvement in ride and handling 704 married to DHP gives. WillInDenver speaks of the 640i xDrive containing that combination. It surprises me because in the F10 you cannot get the 704 suspension with xDrive and yet the 640i xDrive MSport allows it. This means BMW have a totally different mindset when comparing the F10 to the 640i xDrive. Perhaps they need not restrict updates to software and cosmetics. They should update their philosophy!
Yep, it's pretty annoying. Here's the screenshot from the 640i xDrive standard equipment page - M-Sport and xDrive, right there together in the lower right. So it can be done...

Old 09-26-2014, 01:41 PM

As my time with my F10 nears being up, some updated thoughts & perspectives....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillInDenver View Post
Yep, it's pretty annoying. Here's the screenshot from the 640i xDrive standard equipment page - M-Sport and xDrive, right there together in the lower right. So it can be done...

True- although the only difference between a 704/DHP 6 series and a DHP f10 is springs and possibly the front (non active) roll bar. Of all possible suspension mods that's actually pretty cheap and easy
Old 09-26-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
True- although the only difference between a 704/DHP 6 series and a DHP f10 is springs and possibly the front (non active) roll bar. Of all possible suspension mods that's actually pretty cheap and easy
The F10 anti-roll bar may be easy, but supposedly the F30 front one needs a frame drop for R&R.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for the screenshot WillInDenver! I notice that it is not the full DHP (ie Active Roll Stabilsation & Dynamic Damping). It only has Dynamic Damping so I'm not clear whether one can have M sport 704 suspension with full DHP or 704 is allowed if its just Dynamic Damping without ARS.

The fact that one attains the sportier suspension with xDrive in the 640i is an eye-opener. It clearly shows that BMW no longer sees the 5 series as a sports sedan. If one remembers that they initially extracated 704 from the early 2014 MY 5 series one can see that the intention is to move the Fiver more towards luxury and weaken the sporting content. I hope they rethink strategies for the F10 replacement. The F10 should drive as sportingly as it looks and since there are solutions that increase sporting character why not use them? Afterall the customer can always opt for a non 704 suspension car if they prefer to float. It seems that xDrive with Dynamic Damping & 704 definitely improves sporting character so they should give the customer the choice to take it or leave it.
Old Yesterday, 05:16 AM
Dark Knight

Oh, I'd like to throw in 2 other little bits:

Negative: Sometimes the rear view camera screen flickers when I quickly put it in reverse right after turning the car on (also, if I do it quick enough, sometimes the "warning" screen goes on, making the rear view camera "forget" to come on, especially annoying in tight and quick circumstances).

Positive: Something BMW doesn't get much credit for is their lease-mileage penalty rate. .20 per mileage overage is better than the .25 that Mercedes has (along with most manufacturers it seems), and BMW allow you to purchase a discounted rate of .16 per mile (+ tax always, apparently) as many miles down to the single mile (i.e not some relatively useless bundle package) up until the DAY before your lease is up. Kind of the opposite of the run flat blowout scenario I had. Good customer service in that regard, and smart too because making peoples lives easier when you're such a lease-heavy company, during the time of drop off, is a great and effective way to retain them back for their next car.

Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto:
It always amazes me when a sophisticated company such as BMW makes unsophisticated mistakes! For instance tastes differ, so I've never been able to understand why BMW insists on Shadowline window trim for all M Sport Fivers. Why don't they give the option of chrome trim? I personally feel Shadowline is OK with lighter colours but dull with darker colours. I would far rather have a chrome trim on a Black Sapphire M Sport because of the highlighting of the Hoffmeister kink caused by the contrast in colours. Furthermore chrome trim brings out the shapely roofline. If I'm not mistaken there may be a chance if one goes for Individual Aluminium window trim but then you're being penalised with an extra cost.

Would it not be easier to offer a choice?

My second point has already been made in BMW not wanting to give us the best possible sports set up in the Five ie hydraulic steering and DHP with 704 suspension. How difficult would that be? I'm not asking them to climb Mount Everest. These modifications are easy for them to make. The Porsche Panamera is a bigger car and manages to be more sporting than the Five when it should be the other way round.
Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
It always amazes me when a sophisticated company such as BMW makes unsophisticated mistakes! For instance tastes differ, so I've never been able to understand why BMW insists on Shadowline window trim for all M Sport Fivers. Why don't they give the option of chrome trim? I personally feel Shadowline is OK with lighter colours but dull with darker colours. I would far rather have a chrome trim on a Black Sapphire M Sport because of the highlighting of the Hoffmeister kink caused by the contrast in colours. Furthermore chrome trim brings out the shapely roofline. If I'm not mistaken there may be a chance if one goes for Individual Aluminium window trim but then you're being penalised with an extra cost.

Would it not be easier to offer a choice?

My second point has already been made in BMW not wanting to give us the best possible sports set up in the Five ie hydraulic steering and DHP with 704 suspension. How difficult would that be? I'm not asking them to climb Mount Everest. These modifications are easy for them to make. The Porsche Panamera is a bigger car and manages to be more sporting than the Five when it should be the other way round.
Yes I've always found it odd that BMW is fully set up to offer highly customized builds, and they do actually offer a fair amount of a la carte options. On the other hand, there are certain things that would be so easy to offer and yet they make it so difficult (or impossibe). It is also odd that they offer so much more customization with Mini, at a much lower price point. If you go on a factory tour of any BMW plant, they will brag about how no 2 cars are a like, and how much customization is possible. I think that might be more true if you order a BMW in Europe, but in the US we are much more constrained. Of course, US prices are much cheaper and US buyers like to buy off the lot which tends to favor fewer options/more packages. Still, it is hard to see how it would cost them anything to offer more so-called "priority 1" options-- items that can only be ordered by a customer. If the factory can easily handle it, and teh customer wants it then why not. There is of course the "hidden" special order program where if you find a knowledgable dealer they can work with someone at BMWNA to order options that aren't usually available in the US. And then there's individual if you want a specific shade of paint or leather --but at a very high cost.

I do think someone here managed to order the aluminum satin trim on an m-sport, but I think it was additional cost as you say. The DHP/704 combo is likely something that their engineers would have to test specifically (even though it alreayd exists on the F10s close cousin) and they've decided its not worth spnding the resources on. In all fairness, it probably is a very small section of buyers that care about having that combo. Most probably just think "oh cool i have an adjsutbale suspension".

All that being said, I think BMW is one of the more customization friendly automakers out there. You have to go with Porsche and pay through the nose if you want to take it to the next level with a la carte ordering. And even with Porsche I'm not sure if they give you flexibility over things like exterior brightwork.

Last edited by bmw325; Yesterday at 07:56 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM
Dark Knight

Yeah Porsche let you pay a bunch of money to put whatever exterior brightwork you want (that they offer).

Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
I've thought about doing that, too. If I owned the car, I think I would. There's a little too much throwaway spend there for me to do it in a lease, though - assuming I would have to back all the modifications out before turn-in.

I do wish Dinan would release the Shockware product for the F10 535. I don't see why they wouldn't - there must be 5 535s on the road for each 550. Also, they had it ready for the 435 pretty much out of the gate.