Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercomputers View Post
AUTOcouture Sal in NJ will put them in for 350 no alignment or 500 with alignment, Since the springs need to settle I will opt for no alignment for now just need a set of ACS, I need them for a 550 X drive and apparently they are not the same as the 535 x drive

I knew you'd mention Sal. $350 is good and lower than what he quoted me a year ago!

Alignement is recommended but only after the springs have settled, one week later or so.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
I did the ACS springs myself - I'd say you're definitely getting your money's worth at 350...

Sounds like you had fun...
Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 Honda Accord
Count me in for ACS springs and front M5 sway bar.

I was reading somewhere that Eibach manufactures ACS springs and ACS just resprays their springs to black and slaps their name on it.
2012 535i Alpine White | Oyster Black Dakota Interior | Hamann CF Front Lip | LiteSpeed Catback Exhaust System | M5 Rear Diffuser | Painted Calipers, Reflectors & Black Gloss Grill | FormulaOne Pinnacle Series Tint | Born on 1/30/12

Gre8tW8LL
Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i, E60528i
Good idea to match the M5's rear bar size

Good plan Alan...It would be great if the F07 bar fits and even better that we will then have a choice of 16 and 18mm. I've had experience with factory upgrade sway bars in the past and it really is convenient to upgrade as a set (since the factory does the engineering). To that point, I'd like to mimic BMW's match for the front M5 bar (ie do they use a 16mm or 18mm rear bar on the M5). I've got a 550i so curb weight should be close to the M5. I don't intend to track or drift so I really don't need more sway bar than what the M5 is equipped with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
We should hold off on the rear bar now since we don't know for sure if it fits. Joe@ptech on the other forum is going to test this for us and should know by next week.

Alan
Old 02-04-2013, 04:52 PM

The 550i RWD M Sport is 14mm...verified this on realoem and underneath my car.
Just curious...the M5 front bar ships with bushings and brackets but F07/10 rear bars do not?
Thanks
Quote:
Now with the rear bar.

Turns out on the 535 theres several sizes that the car comes with depending on options and if its RWD or AWD.

535i standard rear bar is 13MM
535i Msports rear bar is 14MM
535xi standard rear bar is 14MM
535xi with EDC/DDC rear bar is 15MM

I did not check this for the 528 or the 550 but you can easily do it with realoem.com

Since my car comes with a 15MM rear bar I will go with the 18MM F07 550GT's rear bar for a 3mm increase. Looks like you will also need to purchase new bushings with bigger internal diameter to hold the thicker bar. Hopefully thats it.

Alan
Old 02-04-2013, 04:58 PM

I've read in other post that the ACS lowering springs drop moderately (about 1" all around) but more importantly retain a near stock ride. The attraction here, of course, is those who want comfortable lowering while leaving the float and sway control to shocks and sways.
Count me in on ACS group buy if that happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Tried to get a H&R group going last year but it failed. Link to thread.
We can revive if there is interest. ACS or H&R or both, your choice guys.

Note: mounting springs on the F10 is apparently a pain. Labor isn't going to be cheap, $500 is where we had left things at in that thread.
Here is a DIY thread on 5post with pictures from someone who did it with a buddy in 3 hours. Link.

Alan/ anyone who understands this well - Could you please chime in and comment on why ACS vs H&R?
And Alan do you still hear that sound from the center of your console since you installed the ACS?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
I knew you'd mention Sal. $350 is good and lower than what he quoted me a year ago!

Alignement is recommended but only after the springs have settled, one week later or so.
I got my ACS installed $250 in California without alignment.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx View Post
I got my ACS installed $250 in California without alignment.

That's great, thanks for posting. You should mention the place. Perhaps someone can use the info or organize something for you guys on the west coast.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
Quote:
Sounds like you had fun...
Honestly it was pretty straightforward, but did it over 2 days due to taking my time and also a couple trips to the store for tools I didn't have.

Was worried this would happen the whole time though...

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/03/t...pressor-fails/
Old 02-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
I would say the interest is definitely there for the ACS and sways

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
That's great, thanks for posting. You should mention the place. Perhaps someone can use the info or organize something for you guys on the west coast.
If you need the place, PM me since they're not a vendor here.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeep1 View Post
i would say the interest is definitely there for the acs and sways
+1
Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
I once had a Lexus GS 350 which also floated and swayed a bit to much for my taste (compared to the many BMW's I had prior) and I jumped on the lowering springs and sway bars (from the Lexus "F Sport" line) as soon as they were offered. The handling improved tremendously. I immediately noticed steering turn-in was sharper, body roll was near eliminated, and the ride had firmed in a sporty way. I didn't do the the shock upgrade but the car didn't seem to need it. The stock shocks on the GS (2008) was apparently good enough. Nevertheless, it was the best mod I experienced for that car. For the F10 however, I'm not sure if just springs and sways would eliminate all the floatiness of the F10 since the car's shocks are pretty lame (unless you have DDC).
If at all possible, see if you can catch a ride from some enthusiast in your area with the same car in your area that has done the mods...it'll be well worth it to experience it first hand.
Maybe springs and sways is all you need or, you'll maybe conclude that you can only do it right on your car with coil overs (KW V3 with the electronic shock control) and the sways.
Sways are a no brainer for the stock F10. Springs? While a good thing, still do more research on this forum as there are many choices with pro/cons/tradeoffs to consider.
Thanks. I think I'll tryout the springs and sway bar route for now. I do not have DDC, so I guess the worst case is to change to better shocks after the stock ones wear out.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
The 550i RWD M Sport is 14mm...verified this on realoem and underneath my car.
Just curious...the M5 front bar ships with bushings and brackets but F07/10 rear bars do not?
Thanks
According to realoem that is the case. For the M5 front bar it shows the rubber bushing as being part of the bar and doesn't have a separate part number while the rear F07 550 bar shows each part separately.

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gre8tW8LL View Post
Count me in for ACS springs and front M5 sway bar.

I was reading somewhere that Eibach manufactures ACS springs and ACS just resprays their springs to black and slaps their name on it.
Don't think that is accurate because Eibach and ACS has different drop rates. I believe the drop for Eibach is a little lower. ACS springs however are manufactured by Eibach and hopefully to their own specific specs.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Festaholic

Quote:
Don't think that is accurate because Eibach and ACS has different drop rates. I believe the drop for Eibach is a little lower. ACS springs however are manufactured by Eibach and hopefully to their own specific specs.

Alan
Exactly. ACS had their springs made by Eibach to specific rates that best resemble the factory ride dynamic. They are custom rates. As Alan said, the Eibachs for the F10 yield a lower drop with different rates.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550IX M Sport
Ok spring guys I sent out some e-mails when we were talking about this the other day, They can do a group by on Hartage not ACS, has anybody heard anything on these, Drop looks to be about 1.18 ACS is 1.00 and after calling ebiach on there "who does not even make them for Xdrive" The drop they offer on non xdrive cars is 0.80 then you have Dinan at 0.50

Here is the e-mail I got from him with pricing.

About the group buy that might be possible. Will you be able to distribute the parts yourself to the owners or should we do it??

Take a look here and let me know what you want.

http://www.hartge.de/e/bmw_fahrwerk_6153.html#

The price for 1 set is 302usd and shipping for 1 set is 61usd.

The prices is based on a purchase of 10set.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 AM

I know Hartge is a big name but I dont know how these springs are or if anybody out there has them, For me personaly I did not want to go lower then 1.00 but maybe 1.18 is not so bad, Dont want a slammed look just nice and aggressive with improved feel. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:
I hadn't read what solution you applied to fix the problem, you unmounted and put a tip on the end of the coil?

So we want ACS, I'll start a group-buy thread tomorrow if I get some good news when I call. I am going to pitch an order of 10 sets.
Do we even have 10 interested parties?

So I spoke with the distributor yesterday in Europe about the ACS springs.
Says not a good group-buy candidate - not enough margin/ room.
They also have inventory constraints and it would be weeks before shipping.

Here is the ACS website to look-up the parts number based on car models: RWD/ AWD

I am having look into the M5 front sway bar.
Best I was able to find so far is $254 shipped - no taxes except MD from someone here in the US. Need 10 buyers to trigger that price.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:
I know Hartge is a big name but I dont know how these springs are or if anybody out there has them, For me personaly I did not want to go lower then 1.00 but maybe 1.18 is not so bad, Dont want a slammed look just nice and aggressive with improved feel. Let me know your thoughts.

The question is how well do they perform.
I am hearing/ reading great things about ACS but I wish they sat a tad lower.
With the drop you are mentioning, I don't believe you'll have to worry about the slammed look. Forgot the details but perhaps H&R springs seat even lower than Hartge and they are much cheaper than ACS.

Last edited by octopump; 02-06-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 AM

V12 your right about H and R but every single comment has been negative on them, I wish somebody out there had the Hartage on, The rep from SCHMIEDMANN
told me ACS and Hartage come from the same exact place but we all heard that about ebiach also. He is also going to try and get me a group buy price on ACS but said like you did it wont be much savings from current retail.

As far as BMW goes Hartage is a big name I would have to think they are quality. Not sure we need input from other members.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Festaholic

Quote:
+1

I hate to judge a product based on price; however, I can't help and wonder. It amazes me how the cost for F10 springs are all over the place. I guess the ACS springs are literally double the cost of the Hartge.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 AM

Drop vs Ride and Shocks

Something we might want to keep in mind is that some springs place more of an emphasis on sport/track performance with an aggressive drop while others try to retain a stock-like performance with just a modest drop. The effect of either spring on the shock, however, is that the stroke travel (both compression and rebound) will be shortened to the degree of the lowering drop. This, of course, has nothing to do with appearance of the car, slammed vs moderate drop, but may effect the longevity of the shocks AND the actual ride since the shock is doing short strokes rather than full travel ("short strokes"...just had to lol).

A coilover, with adjustable spring perch and electronically controlled shocks (i.e. KW) eliminates these concerns but that is another discussion and is significantly more $.

BAck to the OP. Sways are a no brainer! Springs? There's more to that, I think.

I don't intend to track the car or scrape the pavement and I want to keep an eye on the budget. So, for me, F/R sway bars to control body roll and ACS for a moderate drop but still a comfortable ride.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Festaholic

Well said Eddie. I totally agree with Eddie that the spring drop amount is significant in relation to maintaining the stock shocks performance and longevity. I don't intend or desire to change my shocks now or significantly prematurely. I know we have to pay to play. With a drop I anticipate a slight loss in longevity with the shocks and perhaps a few bushings.

For me, I actually want the look just as much as the performance. My car is not a DD and will always have passengers (ie. wife and child). I am a performance guy that loves speed; however, that will be my focus for my future sports toy. My current primary focus is to retain a luxurious forgiving ride, with a secondary emphasis of having a sporty feel and look.

I am actually more intersted in the ACS springs than the sway bars. I know that the springs would probably have more of an adverse effect on comfort for the passengers; however, I really want to get my girl (F10) off her stilts!

On that note, count me in!

1) ACS Springs
2) ?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i M Sport
Quote:
Best I was able to find so far is $254 shipped - no taxes except MD from someone here in the US. Need 10 buyers to trigger that price.
I am in for the M5 group buy but I will wait until whether 550i GT rear sway will fit or not

Gone But Not Forgotten:
2006 AUDI 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster, 2006 BMW M Roadster