Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 550i M-sport
Wall Street Journal 2013 M5 Review

Festers - I realize this probably belongs on the M5 forum, but I thought my fellow F10 owners might enjoy. This appeared in today's Wall Street Journal. I've never driven the 2013 M5, but I'm curious if the writers comments ring true with an actual owners experience.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WSJ M5 Article.pdf (179.4 KB, 185 views)
Ads by Google
Old 02-02-2013, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRoots View Post
but I'm curious if the writers comments ring true with an actual owners experience.
Not an owner but I did enjoy the article.

Some lines I thought were entertaining:

the M5 is a breathtaking, world-blurring outrage, a fast car for real nutters, people whose egos generate their own weather.

This is how the Germans do phallocentrism.

By the time they do all that, and then test it over and over to make it as safe and reliable as they can, they have built a car effectively too amazing for American roads, an offshore powerboat in a bathtub, a falcon in a gilded cage.

The strange truth is, the M5 is too heavy for the track and too fast for the street.

So, no surprise, a car built and validated for extreme autobahn service feels a little disengaged in the U.S. You could always move, you know?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
always been a big fan of Dan Neil's work, easily the most intellectual car writer working in the US today. Him, Chris Harris and a few others (mainly from the UK and mainly writing for EVO really are some of the best in the business.

Job done here, his review really makes me want to take another look at the M5.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i, E60528i
+1 on Dan Neil. Well respected, award winning, automotive journalist. He writes with an open minded style, honest (sometimes too honest) car reviews with entertaining editorials. His take on the M5, in reality, sounds spot on, even though I don't own an M5. But, remembering his so-so take on the F10 back in 2010 (link below) his recent review on the M5 shows me that this model it more than the sum of its parts....a real super sedan.
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan...il29-2010jan29
Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Yes, this is a balanced well written review. Not the usual mumbo jumbo about steering feel and just being too heavy.

It is indeed heavy (but well planted ) and it is not a purpose built track sport car.

But it is perfect for daily driving, in and out of the city, coupled with sporty enthusiastic driving (acceptable to passengers, especially ladies and children, who are open to some excitement, compared to say the M3 which is too harsh for its passengers when driven sportily); including times at the track. Just check the track times where it overwhelms the E60 M5, M3 and even some Porches

And if one thinks that it is unexciting, it can be brutal - try stomping it with its 3 buttons on sport/sport plus and D3 (when making turns and changing lanes )- check whether ones's balls are still intact Either you control it, or be overwhelmed by it. (Suggestion: test it first with all 3 buttons on comfort/efficient and D1, then dial it up as the test progresses.)

It is not a car for one who sticks to city driving; none of the M cars are suited for just city driving.

ps for those who complained and haven't seen this recent http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/02/03/vi...-bmw-m6-coupe/

Last edited by bm323; 02-04-2013 at 08:02 PM.