Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Chop362's Avatar
Chop362 Chop362 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Darien CT.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,682
Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Just one happy story on a 19' rim with RFT's

Ordered my new car with the standard 18's while I really am seduced by the 19 inch version but better judgement has prevailed once again...Have till Monday to tweak my order so anyone out there who can convince me otherwise??? Style 313's by the way.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:00 PM
GarySL's Avatar
GarySL GarySL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humboldt County, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,599
Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Just one question, is your exterior paint choice going to be blue?
__________________
'08 335xi (E90), 6MT, Arctic/Black, ZPP, ZSP (18"s), ZCW, CA, PDC, i-Pod
Ordered: March 7, 2008
Built: March 17, 2008
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:01 PM
bear-avhistory's Avatar
bear-avhistory bear-avhistory is online now
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Location: NC - USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,093
Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
If you want to use run flats you are better off with 18" wheels.
__________________
Kevin

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,907
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Stick with the 18s.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Chop362's Avatar
Chop362 Chop362 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Darien CT.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,682
Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Stick with the 18s.

CA
captain i was hoping you would miss this thread!! Yeah I know 18's are the pick but would be nice if just one person would step forward with a short story of success..Never heard a one in fact my C/A attempted to sell wheel insurance for 15 hundred,Pass!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Chop362's Avatar
Chop362 Chop362 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Darien CT.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,682
Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
If you want to use run flats you are better off with 18" wheels.
Hear ya BA..So why in hell does BMW insist on RFT's on a 19 incher?? Mind boggling.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Chop362's Avatar
Chop362 Chop362 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Darien CT.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,682
Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySL View Post
Just one question, is your exterior paint choice going to be blue?
Yes Gary unless you can think of a better choice as i've done em all excluding Blue/Red
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:50 PM
GarySL's Avatar
GarySL GarySL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humboldt County, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,599
Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
Yes Gary unless you can think of a better choice as i've done em all excluding Blue/Red
You're simply not going to go wrong whichever color you choose. Your new rig will be the envy of the 'fest.
__________________
'08 335xi (E90), 6MT, Arctic/Black, ZPP, ZSP (18"s), ZCW, CA, PDC, i-Pod
Ordered: March 7, 2008
Built: March 17, 2008
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Chop362's Avatar
Chop362 Chop362 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Darien CT.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,682
Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySL View Post
You're simply not going to go wrong whichever color you choose. Your new rig will be the envy of the 'fest.
Thanks man..Agree it's pretty hard to kill the car.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Dashdog Dashdog is offline
Registered User
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Have the 18" 313's on my 'is'. I think they look great, are less likely to bend, and contrary to popular belief, they visually reduce wheel gap over the 19's. I've hit some big pot holes with no issues. Also when it comes time to replace the tires, 18" are significantly cheaper. I don't see any benefit to getting the bigger wheels. A shiny new 'is' would look good on 15" steelies as far as I can tell. Enjoy the new car, and BTW my dealer tried to sell me the wheel insurance for $2200!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-02-2013, 08:22 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,907
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
captain i was hoping you would miss this thread!! Yeah I know 18's are the pick but would be nice if just one person would step forward with a short story of success..Never heard a one in fact my C/A attempted to sell wheel insurance for 15 hundred,Pass!!
Chop,

I saw a red E92 today and I thought of you. I wasn't sure what color you went with but I think that blue was a good choice.
I test drove a 335is with 19s in Connecticut (Greenwich) andin terms of harshness it was an improvement over my 07 with 18s and the stock setup but I think that there is just too much of a possibility of wheel or tire damage with 19s. There is a reason that the wheel insurance is 15 hundred.

You could always go with the 19s and hire this guy to follow you around.



CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-02-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Chop362's Avatar
Chop362 Chop362 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Darien CT.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,682
Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Have the 18" 313's on my 'is'. I think they look great, are less likely to bend, and contrary to popular belief, they visually reduce wheel gap over the 19's. I've hit some big pot holes with no issues. Also when it comes time to replace the tires, 18" are significantly cheaper. I don't see any benefit to getting the bigger wheels. A shiny new 'is' would look good on 15" steelies as far as I can tell. Enjoy the new car, and BTW my dealer tried to sell me the wheel insurance for $2200!
Nice post Dashdog!! Those so called insurance deals are something else but i refer to it as BMW's get out of jail free card..Zero responsibility. Never see the "is" in person just pics so never could observe the fit of either but trusting you on this!!Thanks again.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Chop362's Avatar
Chop362 Chop362 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Darien CT.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,682
Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Chop,

I saw a red E92 today and I thought of you. I wasn't sure what color you went with but I think that blue was a good choice.
I test drove a 335is with 19s in Connecticut (Greenwich) andin terms of harshness it was an improvement over my 07 with 18s and the stock setup but I think that there is just too much of a possibility of wheel or tire damage with 19s. There is a reason that the wheel insurance is 15 hundred.

You could always go with the 19s and hire this guy to follow you around.



CA
captain you kill me!! But that truck may not have enough rubber.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 AM
1zamboni 1zamboni is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Monte Sereno, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 429
Mein Auto: 2009 E82 & 2012 E93
Go with the 19" 313 rims ditch the RFT get regular tires won't be that expensive.
__________________
13 E93 M3 Melbourne Red
12 E93 Space Gray (Retired BMW buy back)
09 E82 Space Gray/Black int/Steps/Sport/Nav/Premium/Xenon/Phone Int/Hifi/269 wheel
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 AM
hyperzulu hyperzulu is offline
Ich bin schneller
Location: Granada Hills, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,601
Mein Auto: 2012 335is DCT
Here in southern cali I've been over a year now with the 313m 19s and no issues. I have tire and wheel insurance but I'm thinking I may never use it. In other parts of the country where winters wreck the roads, it may be more of a nuisance if not an outright blunder to go with the 19 inch wheels, but I don't know. The ride harshness isn't bad, I just think you probably would run into more potholes than I do. I've hit some pretty nasty uneven pavement going 40mph and even though it sounded like disaster in the cabin, the wheels remained fine. I would hate to say go for it and have you come back mad that you had to shell out over $600 for a new rim and tire, but that's just the risk. To me, the 19s look better. The 18s are probably the better choice.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Dashdog Dashdog is offline
Registered User
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
Nice post Dashdog!! Those so called insurance deals are something else but i refer to it as BMW's get out of jail free card..Zero responsibility. Never see the "is" in person just pics so never could observe the fit of either but trusting you on this!!Thanks again.
Here's the only pic I have with the 18's on:



Here's with the 17" winters:

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 AM
irianjim irianjim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oklahoma City
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 165
Mein Auto: 2013 335i Vert
Boy, that is a gorgeous machine. I see very few red ones but IMHO they look great and unique (in my unbiased opinion). Love both set of wheels.

I wanted the red, but had to do without the sport package (and the wheels I liked) because of BMW restrictions. Looking to upgrade my stock 17's to 18's - but so many choices!

Great looking car.
__________________


2013 335i - ED September 2012
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Dashdog Dashdog is offline
Registered User
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Thanks. I've been a fan of red since I first saw my dentists' red '91 E30 318is. This car reminds me of that one- probably because of all the black trim.
What restrictions stopped you from getting what you wanted?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 AM
bear-avhistory's Avatar
bear-avhistory bear-avhistory is online now
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Location: NC - USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,093
Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
I don't think they have more of a gap compared to 18" but as I said I believe 18" is a better deal if you want to keep the RFT's. My non RFT tires are 25.8 & 26.3 inches tall. The factory RTF 18's are 25.1 & 25 inches tall & the 19's are 25.1 & 25.4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	850side.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	360568  
__________________
Kevin

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 02-03-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Dashdog Dashdog is offline
Registered User
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2011 335is
The gap is exactly the same- just a matter of visual perception. The tirerack website used to have an explanation of why this occurs, but I can't find it on there anymore. My own observations agree, but it's subjective, really. I ordered my previous car - a VW GTI- with the smaller 17" wheels (18" was optional), and I never regretted it. That car already had an enormous, ugly wheel gap issue on the '07 models (it was slightly improved for '08 and later), and it definitely seemed worse on cars with the 18"wheels- even though the gap was the same.
As always- it's just my opinion based on my own observations. YMMV
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Chop362's Avatar
Chop362 Chop362 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Darien CT.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,682
Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Hey Dashdog thanks for the pics...That xtra metal on the 19's provide that optical illusion i suppose but when you spell it out in measurements it's really a silly debate. Crimson!! That's the only "is" I have seen in the flesh and with that black trim the car just flat out pops I was seriously thinking of pulling the trigger but didn't have the balls after my previous colors AW/SG/Titanium/JB so thought I would graduate to color a bit slower but a fine choice none the less.Still loving those 19's but my brain always win so have till noon tomorrow so we will see but honestly getting on the garage floor every other night inspecting rims/uneven tire wear doesn't sound very appealing, Thanks again!P.S. loved the look of the Sapphire Black but it hides all the accents way too much.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Chop362's Avatar
Chop362 Chop362 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Darien CT.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,682
Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Here in southern cali I've been over a year now with the 313m 19s and no issues. I have tire and wheel insurance but I'm thinking I may never use it. In other parts of the country where winters wreck the roads, it may be more of a nuisance if not an outright blunder to go with the 19 inch wheels, but I don't know. The ride harshness isn't bad, I just think you probably would run into more potholes than I do. I've hit some pretty nasty uneven pavement going 40mph and even though it sounded like disaster in the cabin, the wheels remained fine. I would hate to say go for it and have you come back mad that you had to shell out over $600 for a new rim and tire, but that's just the risk. To me, the 19s look better. The 18s are probably the better choice.
hyper if I lived in So.Cal trust me 19's all the way..Been to the N.East?? It's like combat on tar that bad but the look is that tempting but feel nothing but resentment at having to fork over almost 2k for insurance,Joke.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Dashdog Dashdog is offline
Registered User
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
Hey Dashdog thanks for the pics...That xtra metal on the 19's provide that optical illusion i suppose but when you spell it out in measurements it's really a silly debate. Crimson!! That's the only "is" I have seen in the flesh and with that black trim the car just flat out pops I was seriously thinking of pulling the trigger but didn't have the balls after my previous colors AW/SG/Titanium/JB so thought I would graduate to color a bit slower but a fine choice none the less.Still loving those 19's but my brain always win so have till noon tomorrow so we will see but honestly getting on the garage floor every other night inspecting rims/uneven tire wear doesn't sound very appealing, Thanks again!P.S. loved the look of the Sapphire Black but it hides all the accents way too much.
Sorry- didn't mean to turn this thread into a debate over wheel gap. I just thought it might be one more thing to consider in your decision. The stance on the 'is' is pretty nice anyway IMO.
Glad you liked the pics.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 PM
irianjim irianjim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oklahoma City
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 165
Mein Auto: 2013 335i Vert
I wanted the Crimson Red, but you can't order Crimson Red and get the M Sport package on a regular 335i convertible, which is what mine is. I could have got that combo with the 335is, but I couldn't justify the price gap between the 335i and 335is for how I will drive it. I am finding that it is tough enough to keep the 335i within speed limits.......
__________________


2013 335i - ED September 2012
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Chop362's Avatar
Chop362 Chop362 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Darien CT.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,682
Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Sorry- didn't mean to turn this thread into a debate over wheel gap. I just thought it might be one more thing to consider in your decision. The stance on the 'is' is pretty nice anyway IMO.
Glad you liked the pics.
The wheel gap is like the top of my ongoing saga so glad you brought it up. Back in 2010 I went through this same deal only my alternative at the time was those 225's which I thought were killer rims but I declined and stuck with the 193's..Do I like em??They grew on me and well never"cracked" but did regret not going for the look but you being from New Jersey and myself Ct. it is the intelligent choice..But i'm pissed off! Thanks again and any info. is welcome.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms