Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Coupe '08
BMW change steering feel?

Hey guys,

What I enjoy the most about the bimmers was the steering. I'm a previous owner of a 2009 335 and I just came back from test driving a 535.

Now does anybody know if BMW has changed the steering? It just feels like there is MUCH MORE assitance than previously. Maybe its because it's a 5 series? The sales person told me that they are trying to move towards being a "luxury" brand which meant more power assist.

Someone please enlighten me and tell me it ain't so.

Thanks,
DJ

2008 335i Coupe, Alpine White, Black Leatherette, Aluminum trim, Sport Package w/BMW Assist and Bluetooth.
Ads by Google
Old 04-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
You are two years too late.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
I gotta go to a Used Car Lot tomorrow and drive an E92 to remind myself of what that "classic BMW steering feel" is all about, since people say that car capitalized on it very well.

Coming from 4 straight Benzes, I totally love the F10's steering feel. It feels 1 part confined luxury and another part properly weighted, sportily inspired.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcrazyase View Post
Hey guys,

What I enjoy the most about the bimmers was the steering. I'm a previous owner of a 2009 335 and I just came back from test driving a 535.

Now does anybody know if BMW has changed the steering? It just feels like there is MUCH MORE assitance than previously. Maybe its because it's a 5 series? The sales person told me that they are trying to move towards being a "luxury" brand which meant more power assist.

Thanks,
DJ
Coming from a 08 335 coupe, the F10 will feel like a Lexus to you. My wife use to have a 2011 328i and the steering was way too tight in parking lot speed, If thats the BMW steering feel, I will take a pass on that. I find the F10's steering feel just about right. The 2014 F10 is suppose to have modified steering feel, whatever that means, I hope BMW doesnt mess it up.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:51 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace535i View Post
You are two years too late.
Three, actually.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-08-2013, 08:06 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
My 2002 E46 has fantastic steering, but you do feel every single bump, pebble or groove in the road and will also feel every bushing or sway bar groaning too. It was a considerable improvement from my 2001 330Ci that had the first iteration of "one fingered parking assist steering" that I think they put there to attract more yuppie-ish females and it was a bit light (I never bothered getting it upgraded) but never felt disconnected. Trust me people were going insane back in 2001 when it first came out and BMW had to offer retrofits to early buyers. I picked mine up in Sept 2000 so it was a very early 330.

I don't mind the electronic steering on my F10 and since the car is rather comfy and disconnected anyway it's not a show stopper or anything and in sport mode quite stiff even though the "feedback" is a bit fake. They'll get these features updated more and more as technology progresses at least they are trying.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcrazyase View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks,
DJ
It is so, not because it's a five, earlier fives had similar feel to your E92. It's an F-series trait and it's very, very different. Some love it others think BMW messed up one it's primary advantages and most desirable attribute.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:17 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
It is so, not because it's a five, earlier fives had similar feel to your E92. It's an F-series trait and it's very, very different. Some love it others think BMW messed up one it's primary advantages and most desirable attribute.
Agreed.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
there may be 1,000 gripes about the f series BMWs, most are BS.

the steering is not. my f10 had the hydraulic steering (since xdrive) but i did happen to drive a RWD with electronic steering. the best way to describe it is numb. i hope they make changes to this, as it really defines the BMW ultimate driving machine description.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual