Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-07-2013, 08:00 AM
GLP

Mein Auto: 528i
Navigation tells me to avoid exit lanes and HOV lanes at EVERY exit!

I have a 2013 528i and love it - except for the Navigation system! The system instructs me to keep left EVERY TIME there is an Exit Only lane on the freeway AND to keep right every time a HOV lane is about to turn from dashed white to thick yellow! Being in California, practically every exit has a dedicated exit only lane and very frequent HOV lanes. If I select that I prefer HOV lane, it reverses the instructions and asks me to join it EVERY mile! I am forced to turn off the voice instructions but then need to be alert for real exits.

Is there any way to set an option to not inform me about EACH exit lane?
Ads by Google
Old 04-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prakashg View Post
I have a 2013 528i and love it - except for the Navigation system! The system instructs me to keep left EVERY TIME there is an Exit Only lane on the freeway AND to keep right every time a HOV lane is about to turn from dashed white to thick yellow! Being in California, practically every exit has a dedicated exit only lane and very frequent HOV lanes. If I select that I prefer HOV lane, it reverses the instructions and asks me to join it EVERY mile! I am forced to turn off the voice instructions but then need to be alert for real exits.

Is there any way to set an option to not inform me about EACH exit lane?
No, that's why my nav volume is always on zero.. Ridiculous.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:45 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunccfp View Post
No, that's why my nav volume is always on zero.. Ridiculous.
You can turn off the Nav voice with a setting separate from Nav itself. It's the 2nd icon from the top on the left side of function choices on the Nav screen. No need to actually set the volume to zero.

And, as I must, for those who "love" the Acura Nav, why oh why don't they have simple interfaces to Nav functions like BMW? If I want to turn off the Nav voice on the TSX, I have to "navigate" through multiple screens to even get to the voice. Same for volume of the voice. Sucks.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 04-07-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
You can turn off the Nav voice with a setting separate from Nav itself. It's the 2nd icon from the top on the left side of function choices on the Nav screen. No need to actually set the volume to zero.

And, as I must, for those who "love" the Acura Nav, why oh why don't they have simple interfaces to Nav functions like BMW? If I want to turn off the Nav voice on the TSX, I have to "navigate" through multiple screens to even get to the voice. Same for volume of the voice. Sucks.
Because it actually works in getting you to your destination?

Seriously, it seems like every time I use then Nav in this car, it finds a new way to prove its stupidity.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 AM
GLP

I have turned off the voice by using the 2nd icon. But many times I am on the phone and would like the voice instructions. I just need to turn off the instructions for every exit and HOV lanes. I can understand if the exit itself is another freeway or a highway. But to give instructions for every local exit just because there is a exit only lane is too much. At least BMW needs to give it as an option that can be set/reset. How do I give this feedback to BMW?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 520d f10
You can toggle voice instruction on/off using one of the touch keys. Not the best solution, but....
Old 04-07-2013, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
I dont have Nav on my F10, but do you have preferences set to avoid highways?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:36 PM
YodaSyrup

Mein Auto: F10 535i, X164 GL450
In DC we have an Interstate that is 100% HOV during rush hour (whole road, not lanes). The F10 nav refuses to route you on this road (I66) regardless or time of day or number of people in your car. This is my primary route into and out of the city - so very frustrating.

2011 535i Sport 6MT
Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 PM
GLP

Thank you all for the tips on the voice instructions. But that is NOT my real problem, as I like to have the voice instructions IF it can skip directing me at EVERY exit and HOV lane. The REAL problem is that it instructs (whether voice or visual map) at EVERY exit where there is a dedicated exit lane and at every HOV lane entry/exit. Looks like there is NO option to skip such detailed routing. Does anyone know where I should report this at BMW? They need to fix this soon.

Yodasyrup, not sure if you have tried setting the Route Preference to use HOV lanes, as the default is to skip HOV lanes. Once you set that, it should hopefully take you on I66.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:52 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaSyrup View Post
In DC we have an Interstate that is 100% HOV during rush hour (whole road, not lanes). The F10 nav refuses to route you on this road (I66) regardless or time of day or number of people in your car. This is my primary route into and out of the city - so very frustrating.
I never had that issue on 66. Plenty of times when I went from Fairfax into Arlington around 9:30 - 10:00 it would have me take 66 (I usually took 50 to avoid construction).

Now, the Rock Creek Parkway, on the other hand, it avoided like the plague.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-08-2013, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
I dont have Nav on my F10, but do you have preferences set to avoid highways?
+1

prakashg for sure you have this option on. Turn it off.
2011 F10 535i xDrive MY 01/2011 Sophisto Grey/Black