Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 02-03-2013, 06:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
2014 model year coming early!!

Jon Shafer just posted on the dealer forum the 2014 model year rollout dates. And the 6er starts '14 production next month !! Many indications had the 6 getting the Idrive update starting March '13, but did not expect this. Hopefully the much discussed soft close trunk issue will be addressed. Very curious to hear all '14 changes.
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2013, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Keeps getting earlier and earlier. Remember the days when, for instance, the 2001s came out in the fall of 2000?

Hope it works out for you.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 02-03-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Keeps getting earlier and earlier. Remember the days when, for instance, the 2001s came out in the fall of 2000?

Hope it works out for you.
Sure do remember. Also interesting is they are staggering the models. 5 & 7 series are staying July start for '14. I really do hope they address the trunk issue. Also since they just had a price increase last month, maybe the '14 won't get a bump, that would be a nice bonus to get the new model year at the current price.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Sure do remember. Also interesting is they are staggering the models. 5 & 7 series are staying July start for '14. I really do hope they address the trunk issue. Also since they just had a price increase last month, maybe the '14 won't get a bump, that would be a nice bonus to get the new model year at the current price.
Seems like the new 7 is still pretty new as a '13 and the 5 just got the new iDrive and is awaiting the LCI. That's probably why they're holding off on those two - although, that is using logic - something BMW seems to be at a loss for lately...

The trunk would be nice. It's really embarrassing as a 6er owner. Even though I wouldn't benefit from it, it would make me feel better. Kinda like the offering of the 6MT. I may not have it, but there's something inherently good about having it as an option for the 6er.

Having this 5 Series has made me even more bitter about the trunk. It's just so much easier to put down my crap, press a button, and walk away. It seems so natural despite the fact that I've had to look like an idiot for the past year, whether it's me actually closing the lid or shamefully admitting to someone that the button there just locks the car (to which they always contort their faces into a stupidly puzzled expression).

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
Old 02-03-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Seems like the new 7 is still pretty new as a '13 and the 5 just got the new iDrive and is awaiting the LCI. That's probably why they're holding off on those two - although, that is using logic - something BMW seems to be at a loss for lately...

The trunk would be nice. It's really embarrassing as a 6er owner. Even though I wouldn't benefit from it, it would make me feel better. Kinda like the offering of the 6MT. I may not have it, but there's something inherently good about having it as an option for the 6er.

Having this 5 Series has made me even more bitter about the trunk. It's just so much easier to put down my crap, press a button, and walk away. It seems so natural despite the fact that I've had to look like an idiot for the past year, whether it's me actually closing the lid or shamefully admitting to someone that the button there just locks the car (to which they always contort their faces into a stupidly puzzled expression).
Yup, other than the irritation of blind spot/lane departure not being standard in a $86K car, the trunk issue is my real pet peeve. How can they justify putting this feature in a 5 series which is roughly $20,000 less than the 6er??

And I'm guessing the 5er is your service loaner. Is the trunk on it straight powered via button or soft close as well?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
And I'm guessing the 5er is your service loaner. Is the trunk on it straight powered via button or soft close as well?
Yep, it's my loaner. It is completely powered by the button. It won't close using the remote button, but I'm not going to be picky so long as its automatic using the button on the trunk lid. It's very quiet - compared to the big whomp! on my coupe - and you only hear the mechanism closing the lid and latching it, which isn't noticeable unless you're listening for it.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 640i Alpine White
My biggest disappointment is the fact of the automatic door close. How is this an option in the 5er but not an option on the 640 or 650. I did notice it was an option for an M6, but my wife always has an issue closing her door. It would be nice to have that option.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischapel View Post
My biggest disappointment is the fact of the automatic door close. How is this an option in the 5er but not an option on the 640 or 650. I did notice it was an option for an M6, but my wife always has an issue closing her door. It would be nice to have that option.
Soft close doors are a option on the '13 6er. But only way to get them is spring for the Exec Pkg which is $4400 ( also includes HUD/vent seats/ leather dash/pwr sunshade/ceramic controls)
Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Yep, it's my loaner. It is completely powered by the button. It won't close using the remote button, but I'm not going to be picky so long as its automatic using the button on the trunk lid. It's very quiet - compared to the big whomp! on my coupe - and you only hear the mechanism closing the lid and latching it, which isn't noticeable unless you're listening for it.
Would make me very happy if that was available for the '14
Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Soft close doors are a option on the '13 6er. But only way to get them is spring for the Exec Pkg which is $4400 ( also includes HUD/vent seats/ leather dash/pwr sunshade/ceramic controls)
I can't imagine skipping the Exec. Package as most of those things are expected. You know the only reason it isn't standard is to keep base MSRP down. I'm sure 99% of 6ers rolling off the line are equipped with that package and thus soft-close.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:22 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
My car will be a model year old before it reaches the States.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine skipping the Exec. Package as most of those things are expected. You know the only reason it isn't standard is to keep base MSRP down. I'm sure 99% of 6ers rolling off the line are equipped with that package and thus soft-close.
Agree- they should simply add the power trunk to the Pkg. (at no increased cost)
Old 02-03-2013, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 640i Alpine White
Quote:
I'm glad they fixed that. I didn't know that they did fix it.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Very true, but BMW does make individual options available stand alone on other models - you are forced to take the entire Exec to get soft close on the 6. Who knows, maybe the options choices will change again for '14.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 PM

Here's a video showing the automatic trunk on the Active Hybrid 5:

Here's a video showing the manual trunk on the 6er:

Note: The above video shows that simply pulling down on the trunk isn't sufficient to close the trunk. Enough force is required to pull it all the way down and make it latch, otherwise it pops right back up (which happens more often than you'd think ).

Old 02-03-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Here's a video showing the automatic trunk on the Active Hybrid 5:

Here's a video showing the manual trunk on the 6er:

Note: The above video shows that simply pulling down on the trunk isn't sufficient to close the trunk. Enough force is required to pull it all the way down and make it latch, otherwise it pops right back up (which happens more often than you'd think ).
Yup, that cinches it - call me petty, but I won't order the car without the auto trunk feature.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:04 PM

I think at $100k we deserve the right to not pick these cars apart. Sure, there's a whole other world of cars that makes our cars look cheap, but BMW isn't competing there. These little daily annoyances should be rectified by BMW. I don't think enough people would boycott the 6er until it gets this to push BMW into action, but I'm not opposed to giving them a respectfully written letter expressing disappointment.

While the hp difference between the '12 and '13 definitely bugs me, the trunk is more bothersome. Reflecting on my PC trip, I walked away from there not desiring the M6 for its power, ///M tech, etc., but rather the new iDrive, soft-close doors, and B&O. I adore the M6 and believe it's worth the money, but it's outta my budget right now.Having doors that have to be re-closed and a trunk that is a PITA to close is more of a daily issue for me. I still get a stupid grin on my face accelerating with xDrive pushing me along with 410 hp. I'd rather not be bothered by a lack of options (which can be found in a 5er that costs $40k less than my car) than have the slightly greater pleasure of an M6, which is a bit of a waste on public roads driving lawfully.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:19 PM

I agree. M6 is certainly fantastic, but the extra power is no something most people would actually be able to use in normal driving. And the lack of a sun roof is a big negative to me. But in my case the extra power of the '13/'14 650, along with the now available soft close doors and now updated Idrive of the 2014 take care of most of my desired features. The digital dash rumored also sounds very nice. Just the trunk issue remains - and hopefully will be added this year. Dying to see the '14 specifics.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: M6
I have a 2013 M6 and I do like the soft close doors. But closing the trunk manully does not bother me.

What actually bothers me on the M6 is that cheap iDrive and radio buttons. I can't believe they don't have cermaic knobs. It's not even an option! I had a 2012 650ic with cermaic knobs and it was so much better. Oh well.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: range rover
Looks like there will be a 640xi coupe and gran coupe this year.

If I knew that the 2014's would be out in March I probably would have waited the couple months. Luckily I don't have to worry about resale value.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 AM

Yup, the '13 is going to take a resale hit with the '14 out so soon. And the '12 took a resale hit with the '13 engine upgrade. Maybe '14 is the sweet spot............
Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Glad to hear this is finally going to work out for you Joe. I'm like you, excited to see what changes are in store for 2014. The self closing trunk is not big thing to me. Your going to really enjoy your 650i as I am completely in awe of this sweet coupe......and good things do happen for those who wait.

I know you mentioned the defuser wasn't up to your liking and I totally agree unless you have black. Never liked them. AND.......My 650i is going in next week to be painted Imola.
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
BMS JB+ Stage 1
Dinan Shockware
20 373 Wheels
Nitto 555ZR-Extreme NON-RFT
Full LED lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
Imola Red M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser

Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: range rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeDaddy View Post
Glad to hear this is finally going to work out for you Joe. I'm like you, excited to see what changes are in store for 2014. The self closing trunk is not big thing to me. Your going to really enjoy your 650i as I am completely in awe of this sweet coupe......and good things do happen for those who wait.

I know you mentioned the defuser wasn't up to your liking and I totally agree unless you have black. Never liked them. AND.......My 650i is going in next week to be painted Imola.
You can always go this route.
http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796863
Old 02-04-2013, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Hey thanks for the idea. As you probably remember I had the M6 spoiler installed a few weeks ago. Think I'm gonna stay with the 650i defuser and have it painted Imola.
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
BMS JB+ Stage 1
Dinan Shockware
20 373 Wheels
Nitto 555ZR-Extreme NON-RFT
Full LED lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
Imola Red M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser

Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeDaddy View Post

Hey Shakedaddy,

Nothing has worked out yet! I am starting the process of working with a board sponsor for a ED purchase. As the USAA program discount has been cut bigtime, that's the best option. And been to Germany 20 years ago and would love to go back. I do think the power trunk is important. Still don't understand the logic of offering soft close doors, and still be required to slam the trunk. I mean $45K Lexus offers it. Anyway next step is waiting for the '14 details & prices. I know the new Idrive is confirmed, and likely the digital dash. Will keep the forum updated.