Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:13 AM
When will then be now?

Mein Auto: 435i GC
My new 435i Gran Coupe (Carbon Black/Coral)

I recently took delivery of my 4GC from Jon Shafer at BMW of Santa Barbara. Great experience, as always—-I can’t speak highly enough of Jon’s professionalism and passion.

In short, the car is awesome. Here are the specs, as well as some photos that I took earlier today.

2015 F36 435i M Sport
  • Carbon Black Metallic
  • Coral Red
  • Brushed aluminum trim with black gloss finishers
  • M Sport Brakes
  • 19" Orbit Gray wheels
  • Dynamic Handling Package
  • Premium Package
  • Technology Package
  • Harman Kardon
  • Enhanced Bluetooth/USB

Port-installed accessories:
  • MPPK
  • MPE with chrome exhaust tips
  • Rear diffuser
  • Black kidney grills

Some notes and initial observations:

Colors: Carbon Black is one of my favorite colors because it changes from black, to dark blue, to dark violet in different lighting conditions. To shake things up, I wanted either Ivory or Coral for the interior, since all my previous cars had black/charcoal cabins. Ultimately, I decided that Ivory would be a maintenance nightmare for my needs, so red won out. I’ve attempted to capture the color in my pics. Not shouty at all. Once inside the car and in motion, I don’t even notice the red.

(Non) Leather dashboard: I prefer the continuity of the red dashboard and doors, so I skipped the leather dash option, which only comes in black. The standard dash materials are just fine. There’s no hard plastic or anything like that.

Aluminum trim: The brushed aluminum is great. IMO, it’s a nice, modern-looking trim that neatly breaks up the red and black dashboard segments. The gloss black finishers are very reflective, so the light that bounces off them helps to break up the red/black door panels.

Orbit Gray wheels: None of the online pics do this wheel justice. The inserts aren’t as black as they appear on BMW’s site. They’re literally dark gray, as the name suggests. It’s quite attractive and does a remarkable job of hiding brake dust. IMO, they pair well with dark colors and the black kidney grills. Also, the 19” wheels seem better proportioned to the rest of the car.

Rear Diffuser: I was on the fence with this, but I went ahead and added it since it was (relatively) inexpensive. It adds some visual interest to the lower bumper. I dig it.

DHP: The adjustable shocks are so worth it to me. Comfort mode is well-controlled (except when driving over speed bumps, at which point the front end will bob like an old Buick) yet it removes so much of the harshness from the ride. Sport mode is noticeably stiffer, but never jittery. Besides the speed bump example, sudden freeway expansion joint drops provide a clear example of how the dampers dynamically adjust. It's unreal. I love it. Makes me wonder how much better the magnetic dampers are.

Sport automatic: My first auto in 13 years. This will take some getting used to, but overall I’m pleased with the responsiveness of this transmission, especially in manual mode. I appreciate that BMW offers the choice of initiating shifts with either the paddles or the console lever. But man, EIGHT is a lot of gears to “row!”

ECO-PRO: The driveline-disconnect feature a worthwhile MPG stretcher, but the slow throttle response is borderline dangerous!

MPG: First tank was 25 mpg.

M Sport Brakes: Awesome feel when applying moderate to heavy pressure, but too sensitive during light braking situations. Makes it difficult to smoothly come to a complete stop. More practice required on my part, I think. I also haven’t yet bedded-in the pads, which may help.

Comfort Stop (or lack thereof): I guess BMW nixed this “feature” after the E9x series. (My 2007 335i had it.) Oddly, I might have preferred it in this application because of what I mentioned above regarding the brakes. (Comfort Stop would automatically ease slight pressure off the brakes just as the car was about to halt. I know, overkill, and probably the reason it no longer exists.)

HUD tunnel glare: Doh! Yeah, it’s somewhat distracting when the sun is at certain angles. Oh well, I will get used to it.

Second power socket: There’s a hidden power socket under the glovebox. Nice!

Tachometer: Strangely, the tach doesn’t always appear to be in sync with upshifts. The needle “drops” ahead of the actual shift, sometimes by as much as 1/4 to 1/2 a second. It’s most noticeable in Comfort mode at low speeds in the first three gears.

HK: As others have noticed, it’s definitely “bright” in the upper range, but the mids and lows are refreshingly neutral for a factory system. Worth the upgrade over the base Hi-fi system, but I’m going one step further with the BavSound stage 1 kit. (ETA February.)

Door/liftback/hood slam: There’s another post somewhere that describes the pains BMW takes to engineer the sound of the door slam. I’m pleased that it also extends to the liftback and hood. Closing the hood is almost as satisfying as closing a door.

Liftback: This thing is so useful! And it blends so well that it’s hard to tell it has a fifth door. The height adjustment (through iDrive) is much appreciated.

More to come once I'm past the break-in period. Thanks for reading!

Advertisement
Old 01-03-2015, 01:16 AM
When will then be now?

Interior shots:

Old 01-03-2015, 01:18 AM
When will then be now?

And some final shots...

Old 01-03-2015, 03:34 AM

Mein Auto: 320d
Looks amazing! The CB and CR work great together - a combination I had previously written off! Thanks for the pictures, made my day!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:50 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrgnt View Post
I recently took delivery of my 4GC from Jon Shafer at BMW of Santa Barbara. Great experience, as always—-I can’t speak highly enough of Jon’s professionalism and passion.

In short, the car is awesome. Here are the specs, as well as some photos that I took earlier today.
AWESOME CAR!

Coral Red Nation welcomes you!

BJ
Old 01-03-2015, 06:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 435i GC
Beautiful car!!

Those rims work great with that CB.

You and Boltja are making me regret not getting DHP lol

Good Luck brother!

Last edited by RNNY; 01-03-2015 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Beautiful car. How did you get the m performance side sills. I see the check box for the 3 but didn't see the option on the 4. I think it really looks classy.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 01-03-2015, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi
How are you liking the MPPK? I have it on my 2009 335xi with N54 and it was a nice boost. But over the years I've gotten so used to it that its hardly noticeable. I'm now looking at a 435GC in the spring. Wondering if the MPPK is just as good on the N55.

How much was the rear diffuser?

Did the M Performance decals on the rocker extensions come with a package, or did you add that?
Old 01-03-2015, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 435i Convertible
Quite the stunner. I love the rear diffuser. It really completes the car... and not just literally. I'm with you on the red dash vs leather black. I didn't order the leather dash for same reason. It adds visual interest to an otherwise subdued interior.

Gone but not forgotten:
'96 Z3 • '00 Z3 2.8 LCI • '03 Z4 3.0
'07 and '11 335i 'verts
Old 01-03-2015, 07:34 AM
6 RINGS

Mein Auto: ATS, 535, Forester
Ugh wish my ats lease was up. This would be top of the list
Old 01-03-2015, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 428GC M-Sport
Superb looking car, congratulations!

I ordered the same interior I think it looks great, but very close call between this and the Ash wood interior BJ has.

Wheels with Blue calipers look nice!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Beautiful car, Congrats! N4S
Old 01-03-2015, 08:15 AM
Jayhawk Fan

Mein Auto: 435
Looks fantastic.

Previous: 2003 540 Touring; 2001 740 Sport; 2004 330 Convertible; 2003 X3 (ED); 1998 323 Convertible

BMW CCA: 162191

Old 01-03-2015, 10:20 AM
When will then be now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdemand View Post
Looks amazing! The CB and CR work great together - a combination I had previously written off! Thanks for the pictures, made my day!
Thanks! It's a difficult combo to find at dealers, but I highly recommend trying to see it in person.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:21 AM
When will then be now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
AWESOME CAR!

Coral Red Nation welcomes you!

BJ
Glad to be a part of it!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:22 AM
When will then be now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNNY View Post
Beautiful car!!

Those rims work great with that CB.

You and Boltja are making me regret not getting DHP lol

Good Luck brother!
You're gonna love your car, DHP or not. Just a few more days, right? Looking forward to the pics!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 435i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrgnt View Post
You're gonna love your car, DHP or not. Just a few more days, right? Looking forward to the pics!
Thank you, best of luck with the car.

Ill post the pics but I got a tough act to follow after seeing you and Boji's rides.

I currently got a 320xi loaner and I'm loving driving it I can't wait.

Hoping to see the car late this week or possibly next weekend. The faust just docked in Halifax.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Looks great! Nice photography.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i X-Drive
Stunning! Enjoy the ride buddy.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:49 AM
When will then be now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
Beautiful car. How did you get the m performance side sills. I see the check box for the 3 but didn't see the option on the 4. I think it really looks classy.
The dark paint and reflections give the impression that it has the full M side sills, but those are just the M Performance decals that come bundled with the MPPK. The build configurator doesn't show all the M Performance options available for the 4GC, so you have to look elsewhere on BMW's site for the full list.

I considered having the stickers removed at the dealer for a clean look, but once I saw it in person, I felt they were subtle enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767jetz View Post
How are you liking the MPPK? I have it on my 2009 335xi with N54 and it was a nice boost. But over the years I've gotten so used to it that its hardly noticeable. I'm now looking at a 435GC in the spring. Wondering if the MPPK is just as good on the N55.

How much was the rear diffuser?
The diffuser is $600/$435 (MSRP/invoice).

I had a 2007 335i with the N54, but time has diminished my recollections of that experience. Plus, it also had the 6MT, so it's hard for me to draw direct comparisons to the auto-only 4GC. When I installed the JB1--which was roughly equivalent in terms of power/torque to the MPPK--on the 335i, I noticed a mild but satisfying difference on the butt-dyno. I did eventually become accustomed to it, though.

Having said all that, there's an abundance of torque and a nice muted intake growl, plus those wicked "blats" during Sport mode upshifts. For me, the MPPK+MPE combo is more of sound upgrade, a method of adding back some of the character that gets muffled away by the tomb-like F3x platform. Even so, I still find it quieter than my E90 335i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
Quite the stunner. I love the rear diffuser. It really completes the car... and not just literally. I'm with you on the red dash vs leather black. I didn't order the leather dash for same reason. It adds visual interest to an otherwise subdued interior.
These small touches do add up. Regarding the dash, I figured if I was going red, I was going all the way.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:51 AM
When will then be now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
Ugh wish my ats lease was up. This would be top of the list
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
Beautiful car, Congrats! N4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by beware_phog View Post
Looks fantastic.
Thanks, guys!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F36 435i GC M Sport
Your car is beautifully familiar Welcome!

Proud owner of:

2008 E60 550i M sport
  • Carbon Schwarz Black Metallic, Beige Dakota leather interior, M Sport pack with Sport alternate suspension, roll stab, Aero pack, Sport steering wheel, Shadowline Trim
2015 F36 435i Gran Coupe M Sport
  • Black Sapphire Metallic, Coral Red Dakota leather interior, M Performance package 1 & 2 with M Sport brakes, M Power Kit and M Performance Exhaust, Premium package with harmon kardon surround, xDrive, Connected Drive, Shadowline Trim

Last edited by hologram; 01-03-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:54 AM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Sweet!

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 01-03-2015, 11:04 AM
When will then be now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNNY View Post
Thank you, best of luck with the car.

Ill post the pics but I got a tough act to follow after seeing you and Boji's rides.

I currently got a 320xi loaner and I'm loving driving it I can't wait.

Hoping to see the car late this week or possibly next weekend. The faust just docked in Halifax.
Those last few days of waiting are painful. I found that once the boat arrived, things moved pretty quickly, and I was in the car after just 5 days. And that's even with the extra time it spent at the VDC getting all the M Perf. bits installed.

BJ's ride is, indeed, stunning, especially with that Ash Grain wood. I also like nhman's EBII/Ivory combo. Heck, they're all great! It's fun to see the variety of configurations out there. Sure does make picking a color more difficult, though.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:06 AM
When will then be now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
Sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by livfast View Post
Stunning! Enjoy the ride buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Looks great! Nice photography.