Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X-5 / 2002 330i
Lean Fault Codes

SES light came on today and I pulled the following codes with my scanner:

P1083 - fuel control mixture lean (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0171-System too lean (Bank 1)
P1085-fuel control mixture lean (Bank2 Sensor 1)
P0174-System too lean (Bank 2)

Anyone have any ideas what is going on here? I am thinking either CCV leak, precat O2 sensors or both.
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2013, 03:19 PM
DIY Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 1999 323i ZSP
Check your upper and lower intake boots for holes and cracks (the rubber gets old and falls apart), clean your ICV (SolidJake has a good DIY video for this), reset codes and check again.
If your problems are persistent then I would start replacing parts as you've already suggested. Starting with the cheapest parts and working down. (at least that is what i'd do)

Start with Spark plugs and O2 sensors.
Then run a smoke/leak test to see if you have an issue with your CCV.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
SES light came on today and I pulled the following codes with my scanner:

P1083 - fuel control mixture lean (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0171-System too lean (Bank 1)
P1085-fuel control mixture lean (Bank2 Sensor 1)
P0174-System too lean (Bank 2)

Anyone have any ideas what is going on here? I am thinking either CCV leak, precat O2 sensors or both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenj View Post
Check your upper and lower intake boots for holes and cracks (the rubber gets old and falls apart), clean your ICV (SolidJake has a good DIY video for this), reset codes and check again.
If your problems are persistent then I would start replacing parts as you've already suggested. Starting with the cheapest parts and working down. (at least that is what i'd do)

ur systems are being caused by air/fuel mixture, i've been through those and here's what i did to clear them right up (also did some preventive maintenance to be on the safe side)
- changed fuel filter
- changed air filter
- cleaned MAF
- cleaned ICV
- checked for vacuum leak (none was there in my case)

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 02-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I had the same codes - and it took me a while to track it down.
- Does the order of the misfire OBDII DTCs diagnostic trouble codes actually matter (1)

Finally, I did a home made smoke test (which revealed all).
- How to make your own smoke machine (1)

Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenj View Post

Thanks stevenj; will follow that plan. I reset my codes, next day threw only one code P0174-system too lean bank 2. Could this be referring to the bank2 O2 sensor?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
ur systems are being caused by air/fuel mixture, i've been through those and here's what i did to clear them right up (also did some preventive maintenance to be on the safe side)
- changed fuel filter
- changed air filter
- cleaned MAF
- cleaned ICV
- checked for vacuum leak (none was there in my case)
Thank you; will check this out
Old 02-05-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I had the same codes - and it took me a while to track it down.
- Does the order of the misfire OBDII DTCs diagnostic trouble codes actually matter (1)

Finally, I did a home made smoke test (which revealed all).
- How to make your own smoke machine (1)

Thanks Bluebee - will check out your smoke machine
Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
Thanks stevenj; will follow that plan. I reset my codes, next day threw only one code P0174-system too lean bank 2. Could this be referring to the bank2 O2 sensor?
I had a few misfire and lean codes after some spirited driving. After shutting down, restarting and clearing what codes were left, only P0174 came back persistently. Turned out to be a torn intake boot. Start by inspecting those. You can spray carburetor cleaner at the boots and if rpm's increase, you've found your leak. Worked for me and saved me building a smoke machine.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Bmw 325ci sport
Bluebee.... By doing the smoke test did that reveal a leak in the intake boot ? I have p0171 code and did a smoke test didn't come up with any leak.

Could it be a dirty fuel filter ? only code is p0171 no other codes.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
If you still have the original DISA Valve, air leaks around the seal could be the cause of the lean condition or the flap inside could have come apart and now it is stuck in the close position. Two torx screws is all it takes to remove the DISA Valve after you remove the electrical connector. If you don't feel any resistance when you remove the DISA Valve the seal is shot. If the flap is still good, you can just replace the seal with an o-ring, but first you will need to carefully scrap out the old seal. Why BM Trouble U design a permanent seal instead of using o-rings is beyond me.

Youtube has a video on replacing the DISA Valve.

Is this for the X or 330?

Last edited by upallnight; 02-16-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Bmw 325ci sport
It's for 325ci 2001 I clear the code and it's good for a week. Than pops back on
Old 02-17-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01e46sprt View Post
Bluebee.... By doing the smoke test did that reveal a leak in the intake boot ? I have p0171 code and did a smoke test didn't come up with any leak.
Here's my story ...

I started with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
For the record, the DTC & pending code order has been rather consistent.

I drove for a few days, without clearing the codes, and this is what I read two days ago, in this order:

Note that some codes (e.g., P0313) are both thrown & pending:
  • DTC:
    • P0313 BMW 238 to BMW 243 inclusive, Misfire Detected with Low Fuel
    • P0300 BMW 62 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    • P1353 BMW 243, Misfire Cylinder 6 with Fuel Cut-Off
    • P1083 BMW 202, Fuel Control Limit Mixture Too Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
    • P1085 BMW 203, Fuel Control Limit Mixture Too Lean (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
    • P1351 BMW 242, Misfire Cylinder 5 with Fuel Cut-Off
    • P0171 BMW 227, System Too Lean (Bank 1)
    • P0174 BMW 228, System Too Lean (Bank 2)
  • PENDING:
    • P0300 BMW 62 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
After clearing the codes, and driving for a while, the following occurred in this order yesterday:
  • DTC:
  • PENDING
Again, after clearing them and driving for about twenty miles, the following occurred today, in this order:
  • DTC:
  • PENDING:
Clearing yet again, and driving for a dozen additional miles, I found, in this order when I shut the engine down to look for vacuum leaks:
  • DTC
  • PENDING
Given that ... it took me a year to find all the vacuum leaks (elapsed time) so I only ran the final smoke test in desperation to pass my smog inspection.

The first thing I did when I got the non-specific lean-condition codes was buy a scanner I could keep in my glovebox to keep track of pending codes:
Note: This screenshot below is probably of the fifth similar scanner I've bought because I love mine so much I give these away as gifts!

Knowing the BEST diagnostic tool of all is my eyes, the next thing I did was inspect all the vacuum hoses I could "see", and I ended up replacing all of them topside (e.g., the F-connector hoses and the SAP hoses and endcaps).

The endcaps are important, because they almost ALWAYS develop cracks, and, you should get metric ones to fit right (ask me how I know).

I don't think it was related, but I also found & replaced crumbly SAS hoses in the visual inspection process.

Then I tested the CCV, which, as you can imagine, is not as simple as it should be.

Then I tested the DISA, which, again, isn't as obvious as we'd like it to be.

Then I ran the classic carb spray trick, which, for an intermittent small vacuum leak, I find wholly useless, as I couldn't hear the engine change speeds - so that was a waste of time and cleanup effort.

I then borrowed the free Autozone fuel system tester for three months - but the fuel system was fine ...

(although I did learn where they hide the M54 Schrader valve).

Finally, I ran the smoke test, which found that the CCV hose connected to the oil dipstick was cracked in the classic place that it cracks open in all older M54 engines (before the newly redesigned hose came out) - and I replaced it with the newly designed hose.

In that process, I found my oil dipstick drain tube wholly clogged shut!

That's when I found the elbow cracks. Replacing the $25 elbow solved the final persistent vacuum leaks.

Then, I made sure I drove the California (aka Los Angeles 92) version of the FTP and doublechecked with the scanner that all registers were full.

And, finally, I took my bimmer for inspection (which, by law, had to be to an inspection-only station):

(and passed with flying colors).

So, in hindsight, the problem was that there were MULTIPLE causes for the vacuum leaks, some of which worsened over the year while I was diagnosing the problem.

My recommendation?
a) Run a professional smoke test ... or ...
b) Use that $150 to inspect & replace all the common culprits!

BTW, as you probably know by now, every repair by every user SHOULD result in added value to the database, so, these threads were just some of the indirect results of my quest to find the source of vacuum leaks.

- How to locate all problematic (between 1/8" & 9/32" ID) 3.5x1.8mm, 3.3x1.8mm & (between 17/64" & 9/32" ID) 7mm ID vacuum tubing (single material), vacuum hoses (multiple material), 3.3mm OD curved vacuum pipes (rigid tubes), 3.5mm & 7mm ID vacuum endcaps (closed end) & 7x3mm manifold o-rings (1) & 7.52X3.52mm and 9.2X2.8mm fuel injection o-rings (1) & gaskets (1) on the M54 engine & where in the USA to get new vacuum tubing & vacuum caps (1) & what SAE sizes to get for all the metric M54 engine vacuum tubes, hoses, pipes, and caps (1) & correcting the F-connector errors in the realoem diagrams (1) & finding the ends of hard-to-locate vacuum tubes (1) & sorely needed clarification on how the M54 CCV vacuum port works on the M52 CCV valve connection to the fuel pressure regulator connection (1) & how to make, borrow, or buy lean-condition misfire test tools to test for vacuum leaks & lean conditions (1) (2)

- Where to get a proper DISA valve repair kit (1) & how some jury-rig 'repair' a rattling DISA unit (1) (2) (3) & how the DISA valve operates (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to test DISA operation (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) & a simple DIY to install an M54 DISA (1) & a nice DISA autopsy (1) (2) & a great DISA group buy (1) & how the disa valve o-ring fails (1) (2) & how it can reputedly cause all sorts of cold-engine rough idle problems (1) (2) & where to get just the DISA valve o-ring (1) & why you want to check the DISA at 100K miles or whenever the airbox is removed (1) (2) & why the DIfferenzierte SAuganlage ("Differential Air Intake") valve flap breaks (1), sometimes with parts sucked into the intake manifold (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & a well documented example of how a broken DISA flap can ruin your engine (1) & yet another seemingly complex set of misfire codes reputedly traced to a broken DISA valve (1)

- How does the E39 fuel injection work (1) & what are the most often recommended fuel pump & fuel filter brands (1) (2) & a DIY for replacing the fuel filter (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & a quick test for fuel pump operation (1) (2) and a DIY for replacing the fuel pump (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to replace and service your BMW E39 fuel injectors (1) & details on replacing the 7.52X3.52mm and 9.2X2.8mm fuel injector o-rings (1) & the location of the K96 fuel pump relay (1) & where is the fuel system pressure test Schrader valve for the I6 (1) & where is the fuel pressure test point for the V8 (1) (2) (3) & where is the location of the fuel pump relay K96 (1) & cleaning (1) (2) & replacing the fuel sensor (1) & resolving blown fuses due to a stuck fuel filler door solenoid (1) & engine fuel & octane (1) & The Gasoline FAQ & top-tier gas stations (1) & how large is the fuel tank and reserve in the E39 (1) & what gasoline to use (1) & how much gas should be left to cool the fuel pump (1) & how to siphon the fuel out of the tank (1) & does spilled gasoline go into the charcoal canister (1) & how to replace the gas cap tether (1) & a reputed fuel filler leak into the trunk (1) & the P0455 diagnostic trouble code when the gas cap is missing (1) & what is the cost differential between 87 & 91 octane AKI (1) & what gasoline mileage should an E39 get (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & the truth about mpg calculation accuracy (1) (2) & E39 great mpg stories (1) (2) (3) & E39 awful fuel mileage issues (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30).

- How to test the crankcase ventilation (aka CCV, CVV, PCV, CPV, & OSV) pressure regulating valve system (1) & a video of oil separator quacking chubacca noise (1) & vacuum leaks due to holes in one or more of the five CCV hoses (1) (2) (3) or frozen or torn diaphragms (1) & a clogged CCV (1) causing pressure in the crankcase and smoke in the exhaust necessitating CCV system overhaul (BavAuto M54, M54,M54,M54,M54, & M54 observations) (M52,M52) (M52TU) (M62,M62) ('99 528i) ('98 528i); usually replaced with the insulated CCV upgrade (1) & sorely needed clarification on how the M54 CCV vacuum port works on the M52 CCV valve connection to the fuel pressure regulator connection (1) & how to do a CCV delete (1)

Most of this was summarized in this thread:
- How to diagnose a M54 engine misfire (1) & a cold-engine intermittent misfire (1) & what you can expect for your smog emissions test results (1)

DISCLAIMER:
[I don't know anything about my M54 engine. When it breaks, I simply research how to diagnose & fix it.
I read; I try to understand; I ask questions; and I snap pictures (all the photos and screenshots below are mine).
I don't generally "throw parts" at a problem, and I fully test a suspected part before replacing it, so I had a LOT of research to perform.
Probably two dozen (or more) threads were involved in this quest to understand and solve persistent & intermittent BMW M54 engine vacuum leaks, and then I always try to add value to the forum so the NEXT person doesn't have to go through the same learning process. They start where we left off, and they're expected to improve the process where needed.
Given that, please consider this summary, from my memory, the short version of the diagnostic procedure I followed at the time (the longer version being in the thread record).]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ftp_cycle.jpg
Views:	6761
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	362681  

Last edited by bluebee; 02-17-2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Added photos to illustrate the tasks ...
Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 AM

Mein Auto: 318i E46
I have a 318i E46 (1999) and it showed severe vibration (as if I was sitting in a massage chair) as soon as I started in the morning. No warning lights were on but the fuel consumption gauge was all the way right tp 20. Besides, the car just died twice while driving. However, I didn't have any of these issues in the afternoon. All of sudden, nothing happens again. Could this relate to lean burn?
I don't have scanner at the moment. Can I trust ones sold in ebay.

Last edited by Kamikaze1; 02-20-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze1 View Post
I have a 318i E46 (1999) and it showed severe vibration (as if I was sitting in a massage chair) as soon as I started in the morning.
I had the exact same issue - and we discussed the causes in detail, over here:
- How to diagnose a cold-engine intermittent misfire (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze1 View Post
I don't have scanner at the moment. Can I trust ones sold in ebay.
Yes. Of course. A scanner has a very easy job. Many of us on the E39 side keep that el cheapo scanner above in our glovebox as a traveling tool.

Back in the garage is the good stuff - but the el cheapo works just fine.

Here's just one set of good stuff if you need it:
- INPA, EDIABAS, NCS Expert, DIS, EasyDIS, Progman, & other BMW factory & dealer programming, coding, and diagnostic software tools & cable interfaces (1)

There is an E46-specific link to those tools in that thread also.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 AM

Thanks for your quick and dedicated reply. I have read your thread and other several linked threads. Well, it took me more than 3 hours and I wonder how long it took you to do all the write-ups.
Anyway, they are awesome write-ups and you are one dedicated member who tries to track the origin of this issue, rather than just fixing it.
In summary, does your theory of misfire on #4 come to conclusion of leak in ccv hose and intake hose...etc as stated above. I just want to confirm the reason of misfire that relates to your bimmer.
Thanks again.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 AM

I will be spending the coming weekend to rectify this mis-fire issue.