Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-16-2014, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: '03 540i/6
Steering / comfort wheel suddenly not raising?

Had the car two years and realized that if i let the battery dip (short commute) the wheel would stop lowering into my lap... when i plug her in to the battery tender overnight everything works. Suddenly (despite being charged up) the wheel isn't raising? Noticed my inside trunk lights were off last night too, just as sudden.

Advertisement
Old 03-17-2014, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: '03 540i/6
wiggled on the wiring loom with the trunk open and the trunk light came on ... opened driver door and the wheel raised, then lowered when started ... are these two related?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 E39 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eohagan View Post
wiggled on the wiring loom with the trunk open and the trunk light came on ... opened driver door and the wheel raised, then lowered when started ... are these two related?
It sure makes you wonder doesn't it??
I know that's the first place I'd start looking, maybe the wire loom needs repair, its my understanding its a problem area

2012 Toyota Venza AWD
2004 Silverado
2002 BMW 530i sport
1966 Chevelle SS396
1957 Chevrolet Belair 2 door Hardtop
2000 Harley Road King Classic
And 3 Tractors....ok now i'm Braggin...lol...

Last edited by greybeard; 03-17-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: '89 Ford Tempo
The convenience enter/exit module is actually in the driver's seat. It's the same one that controls the seat recline and forward/backward function. Check to make sure that the connections are good there.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:39 PM
ExAlfa

Mein Auto: '03 540 M-Sport
If you have comfort seats your wheel issue is common. The plastic cover that holds the seat adjust buttons has outrigger arms that support the lower portion of the cover. When getting in and out of the car the seat bottom presses on the plastic cover and eventually snaps the outrigger arms, leaving the cover to move up and down. The seat adjust switches mount on the inner surface of the cover, and the connectors pass through the metal frame of the seat bottom. When the cover moves up and down the connector is pressed against the seat frame, which wiggles the connector free from the back of the switches. This will stop the steering wheel from moving up and down, and eventually the seat cannot be adjusted (but for some reason wheel movement is affected first). The correction is to replace the cover ($40) and make sure when getting into the car you plop your butt into the center of the seat cushion before swinging your legs in to prevent the cover from breaking again. The short-term fix is to wedge your hands under the cover and try to push the connector back into the backside of the switches. That will get you going but will fail in a week or three.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by eohagan View Post
Had the car two years and realized that if i let the battery dip (short commute) the wheel would stop lowering into my lap... when i plug her in to the battery tender overnight everything works. Suddenly (despite being charged up) the wheel isn't raising? Noticed my inside trunk lights were off last night too, just as sudden.

ExAlfa may have hit the nail on the head, but I know that when the battery starts getting low on charge, the car starts cutting out nonessential functions. Automatic steering wheel functions is one of those things. I do not drive my car every day and when the steering wheel does not go back into place after I start the car, it is time to put the car on the battery charger. So from the above post, you've noticed this behavior which is normal vehicle function on our E 39s.