Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
this should be "Bimmerfix" forum

Anyone agree? Looking down the post below, I only see a few positive post. One just purchased a 550( congrats ) and and and wait thats it.

Sorry nothing exciting in this post either.
Ads by Google
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 550i
Yeah, unfortunately people only seem to post when there's an issue. If I found this board before I bought my car, I probably would have been scared off from buying it.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
In general, car owners look for these boards [or look up on-line] when they have a problem with their car.

Have you seen anyone going to the doctor when they are perfectly healthy? :-) Same thing...

ALL cars have problems. Some people ignore the problems until the engine falls off and others [like me] proactively fix things before things become serious issues. Without the help of these discussion boards, people would've had to rely completely on car dealers.

Number of posts on a discussion board is not a measure of how reliable a car is :-) That's my opinion, as every one has one :-)
Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Go to a few other forums for other cars, pick a few at random, you'll see the same thing. If the only information you had before buying a car was from these forums, you'd still be riding a bicycle.

Come to think of it, it isn't just cars. Over the weekend, I had to fix my dishwasher. I found some great forums for appliances. Guess what I saw? Everything was broken, or having problems!!!

BTW, here's a positive post. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY 550!!!!!

Keith
Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Go Dawgs!

Mein Auto: E60 550i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post

+1000! Yeah, baby!

IMHO: E39 < E60 > F10

2011 F10 535xi (ED July 15, 2011)
2008 E60 550i (ED July 22, 2008)
2000 E39 540i (Retired)

Member BMWCCA #402733
Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: E60 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
Go to a few other forums for other cars, pick a few at random, you'll see the same thing. If the only information you had before buying a car was from these forums, you'd still be riding a bicycle.

Come to think of it, it isn't just cars. Over the weekend, I had to fix my dishwasher. I found some great forums for appliances. Guess what I saw? Everything was broken, or having problems!!!

Keith
+1
I love my 525, too.
It's great that I can find a solution/suggestion here to fix or modify my 525.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: Looking for 5 series
Thats what forums are for, for people to help each other. Not to say I bought a 550 and here are photos. I appreciate the help from everyone that gives it, thank you.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8power View Post
Anyone agree? Looking down the post below, I only see a few positive post. One just purchased a 550( congrats ) and and and wait thats it.

Sorry nothing exciting in this post either.
I can't presume to speak for all, or even most of the regular participators of this forum so I will only speak for myself.

I didn't choose a BMW based on the flip of a coin, choosing between say Lexus, Acura or Jaguar. I specifically chose it for handling performance. I will only venture a guess that many of the regular readers of this site made the same choice.

And while I am sure some readers, when they have occasional problems with their BMW, are in a financial position to tell their butler Jeeves to run the BMW over to the dealer and they will take the Jag to work today, I am not one of them. Do I spend money on other things that could be diverted to writing blank checks to a BMW dealer? Sure. But I wish to minimize the cost of operating my BMW.

I have also found personally that I have a much closer relationship with the car having spent hours wrestling parts out of the tight V8 engine bay and replacing them with new. I understand that this is not for everyone. Many people only want to put gas in the tank and get from A to B. I will again venture a guess that just putting gas in the tank is not the standard profile of the regular participator of this forum.

Have I participated in some of the "How much do you love your BMW" posts which expound in glowing terms upon the BMW experience? Absolutely. But I don't need to write about it, and have learned to avoid giving personal testimonials to people I know, unless they're solicited. Either you get it or you don't. I have just learned to wipe the grin off my face and keep my mouth shut as I lock the car doors.

Yes, I agree with the OP that this is primarily a trouble shooting forum. And from my personal experience - Thank You for it! Thank you to all of the pioneers who have gone before me, who have painstakingly documented their knowledge, and who's shoulders I have been able to stand on in figuring out how to maintain this Teutonically complicated beast.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: Looking for 5 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
I can't presume to speak for all, or even most of the regular participators of this forum so I will only speak for myself.

I didn't choose a BMW based on the flip of a coin, choosing between say Lexus, Acura or Jaguar. I specifically chose it for handling performance. I will only venture a guess that many of the regular readers of this site made the same choice.

And while I am sure some readers, when they have occasional problems with their BMW, are in a financial position to tell their butler Jeeves to run the BMW over to the dealer and they will take the Jag to work today, I am not one of them. Do I spend money on other things that could be diverted to writing blank checks to a BMW dealer? Sure. But I wish to minimize the cost of operating my BMW.

I have also found personally that I have a much closer relationship with the car having spent hours wrestling parts out of the tight V8 engine bay and replacing them with new. I understand that this is not for everyone. Many people only want to put gas in the tank and get from A to B. I will again venture a guess that just putting gas in the tank is not the standard profile of the regular participator of this forum.

Have I participated in some of the "How much do you love your BMW" posts which expound in glowing terms upon the BMW experience? Absolutely. But I don't need to write about it, and have learned to avoid giving personal testimonials to people I know, unless they're solicited. Either you get it or you don't. I have just learned to wipe the grin off my face and keep my mouth shut as I lock the car doors.

Yes, I agree with the OP that this is primarily a trouble shooting forum. And from my personal experience - Thank You for it! Thank you to all of the pioneers who have gone before me, who have painstakingly documented their knowledge, and who's shoulders I have been able to stand on in figuring out how to maintain this Teutonically complicated beast.
Well said!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: E60 with a turbo
no offense but i think there is less 5 series owner will open their hood so there isn't much mod or DIY option.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Each forum seems to have its own culture. This one, as you suggest, is the "I'm having a problem with my car" forum. 5series.net is all about mods and customizations. Bimmerpost is heavy on new and upcoming model speculation. I like 'em all.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM
New to BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 550i
First Bimmer. Had a $500 fix right after buying it. BMW = The Ultimate Driving Maching. I will probably never not own a BMW after my 550i. Pure sex on wheels.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 M3, 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattani View Post
First Bimmer. Had a $500 fix right after buying it. BMW = The Ultimate Driving Maching. I will probably never not own a BMW after my 550i. Pure sex on wheels.
Actually, BMW = Bumse Mich Wieder. But I still love both of mine.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Each forum seems to have its own culture. This one, as you suggest, is the "I'm having a problem with my car" forum. 5series.net is all about mods and customizations. Bimmerpost is heavy on new and upcoming model speculation. I like 'em all.
+1

Very true about the individual forums culture. I'm on 5series.net when I'm figuring out a cool mod and on Bimmerboost to find out how much more power I can get out of my N54 engine. In the end with all the forums out there most of the members appreciate their bimmers and take the good and bad of their machines. I know I do.

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access

-FBO, custom Cobb E30 map, Performance Gearing LSD.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaazaa View Post
+1

In the end with all the forums out there most of the members appreciate their bimmers and take the good and bad of their machines. I know I do.
Now that i own one, this is statement is soooo true. It seems like most BMW owners are willing to accept the issues that these cars inherently have whether designed in (like the negative camber wearing out the rear tires prematurely or the filthy brake pads) or as a failure of the design (HPFP, coolant pipes on the V8s, generally crappy h20 pumps on all models). Any of this stuff goes bad on a Honda or Toyota and the owners are gonna be either or BMW owners, shrug it off, pay the money and keep going.

Coming from a dead-nuts reliable Honda with 240K miles with only one transmission problem in all those years, I should've been pissed at my pristine BMW that didn't start the next day after I bought it...I wasn't.

Others:
2006 Corvette Conv, Z51,6sp (wife)
2007 Honda CBR1000RR Sold
2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (wife) Sold

Last edited by jim165; 02-04-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
OP, I see where you are coming from, but Bimmefest is a fest, just go on bimmerfest during summer times, you will see what I meant. BMW is not a car but a community, that is included 1,000's people, crazy about BMW and M-series. You will not buy anything like this for money you paid for BMW, you can take M-series on track without any modification and will be just perfect.
Yes the reliability could be better but this is very sophisticated car with a lot engineering. All Japan and Korea are behind like about 10 years.

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlfly View Post
OP, I see where you are coming from, but Bimmefest is a fest, just go on bimmerfest during summer times, you will see what I meant.
+1
There are not too many other forums that double as a huge gathering place. It's all in the name.
I get on other forums, even some aviation forums and you'll probably never meet the members. I've met quite a few members on here just by going to the west and east Bimmerfest 2011 and 12 and it's cool.