Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 740iL
E38 Transmission (3/97) Failure in 740 IL

Just lost my transmission and now having a hard time deciding what to do. Of course I have the more expensive of the two transmissions available for my car (being built in 3/97 - pre-3/97 about half the price. First a question - anyone know of where I can purchase a used transmission for this car? I'm fairly efficient on the internet and have found only 3 units, costing between $950 and $1250. Now my dilemma, I was just about to install a re-manufactured a/c compressor, which I purchased for $220 (labor cost $250), windshield (purchase and installation cost of $225, complete front end hardware (purchased for $220 and installation cost of $250. The transmission installation will cost me $450. How wise is it to put $2600+ into the car, especially not knowing the history of the tranny that will be going into it? Do I cut my losses and sell the car as is? Get the tranny and have that and the ac installed at a cost of about $2100 then cut losses knowing I'll never realize the monies I just put into it to get it road worthy again. Point of consideration, I purchased the car about 4-5 months ago for $4000. Wife says to have it towed home, put it in the garage and part it out to try to recover some of the $4000. The car has to be replaced as it is/was a daily driver. Guess I'm just looking for opinions or shoulders to cry on. Hate not being able to make up my mind!
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2013, 06:12 AM
Bored Worker

Mein Auto: 540i/6 4/99
Repair value should always be pitted against replacement value.. Can you buy a more reliable/better car/replacement for the cost of the repair + whatever you could sell the 740il for? If you sell the car with a bad transmission you may be lucky as a whole vehicle to get $1500 for the car.. so $1500 + $2600 = $4100. Can you buy another reliable car for $4100? You already have to count the $4000 purchase price as loss so get that out of your mind.. You paid $4000 5 months ago so you basically paid $1000 per month for use of the car the last 4-5 months... Still cheaper than a payment on a new 745il... You can either try and recoup some of the money initially spent, or just fix it rather than car shopping..

My thoughts?

1) Well I would be very sure first of all that the transmission is bad.. What are the symptoms? There are several other systems that can be at fault.

2) Parting it out takes time, and patience... Also if you have the time/knowhow to part it out why not do the installation of those parts yourself and save the labor cost? Parting a car out is HALF the job of replacing the part.. You just took it out.....

More thoughts on parting it out.. Things to consider:

1- what wheels are on it? OEM style 5 16"? If so they are only worth $300 max local sale..
2- Engine- how many miles? If over 100k only expect around $1000 COMPLETE
3- Transmission is a paperweight so scrap value..
4- Glove box handle- ebay quick sale- $100-$150
5- Body panels- $100 each so.. about $1100 there (but these are a pain to ship and you will have to wait for a local sale)
6- Headlights/Foglights- $100 set
7- Tail lights- $100 set
8- Seats- full set- $500 max depending on color and condition
9- Various other bits- lets say $500-$800
10- Scrap of the chassis- $300-500

Total-OVER your $4000 investment but it may take 2 years to recoup... And what do you do in the meantime? If you are like me you have a few other cars to drive... But again if you don't work on cars yourself much parting out is really daughnting..
1992 BMW K75s Cafe build

Last edited by rrtec; 02-04-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750iL
If I read this right you have already bought and or installed on 3 sets of work. This and the gearbox suggest the car might not have been maintained as it should be, so there could be more to come. However, if the bodywork/trim/ spec are what you really wanted, then carry on. When you say 'lost' the transmission, what do you mean? These, or the relevant parts, can be re built, which might be a better option than buying another with unknown history/ milage.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 AM
Coffee Extraordinaire

Mein Auto: 2001 740i Sport
Yes - your part is available! To order, use the green checkout button below.

Quote#: 2511327
Vehicle: 1997 BMW 740i
Part: Transmission - A.T. from 1/97
Price: $1,145.00 (Grade A Used Part) 90 day parts only warranty
.......$1,240.00 (Grade A Used Part) 1 Year parts & labor warranty
Shipping: Free Shipping in U.S. 48 states - all except HI & AK

Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions section to learn a little bit about our process.

1 Year Parts and Labor Nation Wide warranty available on all transmissions.
FREE SHIPPING in the 48 states.
All reasonable offers will be CONSIDERED.
Please read all the TESTIMONIALS on our website.
ALL TRANSMISSIONS are visually inspected and cleaned.
Please include original request with reply!!!!!
For more information please visit our website

Thank You,
Parts Department - ext.3
Old 02-04-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtec View Post
Repair value should always be pitted against replacement value.. Can you buy a more reliable/better car/replacement for the cost of the repair + whatever you could sell the 740il for? If you sell the car with a bad transmission you may be lucky as a whole vehicle to get $1500 for the car.. so $1500 + $2600 = $4100. Can you buy another reliable car for $4100? You already have to count the $4000 purchase price as loss so get that out of your mind.. You paid $4000 5 months ago so you basically paid $1000 per month for use of the car the last 4-5 months... Still cheaper than a payment on a new 745il... You can either try and recoup some of the money initially spent, or just fix it rather than car shopping..

My thoughts?

1) Well I would be very sure first of all that the transmission is bad.. What are the symptoms? There are several other systems that can be at fault.

2) Parting it out takes time, and patience... Also if you have the time/knowhow to part it out why not do the installation of those parts yourself and save the labor cost? Parting a car out is HALF the job of replacing the part.. You just took it out.....

More thoughts on parting it out.. Things to consider:

1- what wheels are on it? OEM style 5 16"? If so they are only worth $300 max local sale..
2- Engine- how many miles? If over 100k only expect around $1000 COMPLETE
3- Transmission is a paperweight so scrap value..
4- Glove box handle- ebay quick sale- $100-$150
5- Body panels- $100 each so.. about $1100 there (but these are a pain to ship and you will have to wait for a local sale)
6- Headlights/Foglights- $100 set
7- Tail lights- $100 set
8- Seats- full set- $500 max depending on color and condition
9- Various other bits- lets say $500-$800
10- Scrap of the chassis- $300-500

Total-OVER your $4000 investment but it may take 2 years to recoup... And what do you do in the meantime? If you are like me you have a few other cars to drive... But again if you don't work on cars yourself much parting out is really daughnting..
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your thoughts. As far as the transmission is concerned, no forward gears, only reverse.

I agree, parting out would be daunting but I do have mechanical knowledge and can certainly tackle it if I decide to go that way. Right now I'm leaning to putting the $2 - 2.5k into it and running it for a while. In the meantime, getting the wife a car she can rely on instead of putting her in my project car.

Again, thanks so much for your valued input.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn7 View Post
If I read this right you have already bought and or installed on 3 sets of work. This and the gearbox suggest the car might not have been maintained as it should be, so there could be more to come. However, if the bodywork/trim/ spec are what you really wanted, then carry on. When you say 'lost' the transmission, what do you mean? These, or the relevant parts, can be re built, which might be a better option than buying another with unknown history/ milage.
Well, none of the work I mentioned has been performed yet. Needed the nudging from you guys. You share the same concern as me as to how the car was (or was not) maintained. Something I'll never know. Lost the transmission = no forward gears, only reverse. I also agree with your last comment...so I'll be looking purchase a rebuilt transmission or having mine rebuilt. Thank you for taking the time to comment - much appreciated.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espresso View Post
Yes - your part is available! To order, use the green checkout button below.

Quote#: 2511327
Vehicle: 1997 BMW 740i
Part: Transmission - A.T. from 1/97
Price: $1,145.00 (Grade A Used Part) 90 day parts only warranty
.......$1,240.00 (Grade A Used Part) 1 Year parts & labor warranty
Shipping: Free Shipping in U.S. 48 states - all except HI & AK

Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions section to learn a little bit about our process.

1 Year Parts and Labor Nation Wide warranty available on all transmissions.
FREE SHIPPING in the 48 states.
All reasonable offers will be CONSIDERED.
Please read all the TESTIMONIALS on our website.
ALL TRANSMISSIONS are visually inspected and cleaned.
Please include original request with reply!!!!!
For more information please visit our website

Thank You,
Parts Department - ext.3
Thanks Espresso. Anyone had any experience with the outfit Espresso points out? I just did a google search on them through the WI BBB and it's not too favorable. And just when I thought I may have a good source for the transmission!