Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW Z4 Coupe
Battery help

I have a 2007 BMW Z4 coupe si.

I know nothing about cars. I have figured out how to change a battery so that is no problem, but...

I really need some advice on what battery to choose. At autozone the only batteries they have for the z4 do not have the vent needed.

Can someone tell me when I buy a battery what matters? Do I have to look at voltage, etc etc??

I just want to know what battery to buy, that has a vent.

Help please.
Ads by Google
Old 02-03-2013, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: Harley/z4/Dodge Durango
1. Go to this link it is a great write up on the battery. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=609849

2. Go to another Auto Zone the battery in the link above was purchased at Auto Zone.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyjetmech View Post
1. Go to this link it is a great write up on the battery. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=609849

2. Go to another Auto Zone the battery in the link above was purchased at Auto Zone.
Fantastic!! Thank you so much. What do I need in regards to the vent plug installation tool? All I have in my trunk is a hose that needs to connect to the battery. How do I do this?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:34 PM

Do I have to buy a whole new kit? Do I have to replace those? Or does the kit just include a piece to connect the hose to the battery? Thanks again! Almost there!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbuckle View Post
Do I have to buy a whole new kit? Do I have to replace those? Or does the kit just include a piece to connect the hose to the battery? Thanks again! Almost there!
If the car runs, drive it down to the Auto Zone you are purchasing the battery from they will probably install it for you if you ask.

No special tools are needed. The hose should have a plastic tip on the end that goes into the vent hole hole on the battery, simply just push it in the vent hole. If it's not there check the old battery maybe you left on there or you will have to find a substitute. I attached a link it contains a picture of the hose and the plastic piece I am referring to. The plastic tip is the part in the lower right corner of the picture. http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/$(KGrHqZ,!lIFBKPLZMs9BQZVZPQzug~~60_12.JPG?set_id= 880000500F(copy and paste link).
Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbuckle View Post
Fantastic!! Thank you so much. What do I need in regards to the vent plug installation tool? All I have in my trunk is a hose that needs to connect to the battery. How do I do this?
The "vent plug installation tool" he is referring to is a rubber mallet he used to punch the vent plug into the battery. You are not doing that step you have a vent hose that we discussed in my previous reply.