Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: M-Sport 335i xDrive
Just bought a car and have a couple of questions

Wife needed a new car after burning up three clutches in her Wolfsburg Jetta so we bought her a BMW. Narrowed our search down to an Audi S4 and 335i xDrive. I wanted the S4, wife wanted the BMW. I asked her to at least let me order the M-Sport package. Deal! So, we're getting an M-Sport in Mineral Grey Metallic with all options except the Harmon Kardon stereo. It's coming from the factory so we're looking at an end of March, early April delivery date. I really liked the S4 but this will do.

Have a couple of questions. Dealer offered the car at $1500 over invoice and when we asked for better they lowered it to $1250, removing all weather floormats from the deal. I'd rather buy them than finance them anyway. So, just pick up the BMW all-weather floor liners or are there some preferred aftermarkets. We live just outside Seattle and with our weather I want to have floor and trunkliners in hand before anybody sets foot in the car. Car has a black interior so I'd like something matching that.

Second. I won't have to worry about this for now with the new vehicle warranty but I'd like to find a scan tool for the car. I had a Ross-Tech VAG COM scan tool that worked with a windows PC or laptop and it was a great tool. Is there a similar product offered for BMW? Be nice to have.

Finally, help me out here. 8-9 weeks is a long time to wait for a car. Does it always take that long or do factory orders sometimes show up faster than that? Is there anything that you look back at and wish you had done after you received your car?

Thanks,
Mike
Ads by Google
Old 02-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Mike, Welcome to the fest.

If the BMW 'all weather' liners are the rubber floor mats, you may find them 'ok' in Seattle rain. I found they slipped around more than I prefer. Perhaps you might also try the Weathertech mats as an option. I like genuine cocomats (www.cocomats.com) but YMMV.

9 weeks sounds about right for a factory order.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Welcome to the 'fest. Really, really weird choice to order everything except HK. Spend the extra $800.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoomer View Post

Finally, help me out here. 8-9 weeks is a long time to wait for a car. Does it always take that long or do factory orders sometimes show up faster than that? Is there anything that you look back at and wish you had done after you received your car?

Thanks,
Mike
First off, welcome aboard.

Two things to mention regarding the 8-9 weeks to get your car produced, shipped, and delivered:

1. You're on the northern west coast which can add +2 weeks.

2. If your car comes from South Africa it can add another +2 weeks.

Contact your dealer, make sure he gives you an allocation number, date of production, and factory location. From there you can get more accurate dating and potentially request a factory swap to Germany or an earlier allocation position to save more time.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 02-03-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Welcome to the 'fest. Really, really weird choice to order everything except HK. Spend the extra $800.
Wife's idea of being practical. Never mind that the practical thing to do is buy another VW, or a Honda Civic. In her mind the stereo wasn't necessary. Heated seats? Can't live without them. When I bought my last vehicle it had a Pioneer navi, speakers and amps installed in the first week. I'd love to have the HK. I do wonder how difficult it would be to install the HK setup in a car. Has anybody done that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
First off, welcome aboard.

Two things to mention regarding the 8-9 weeks to get your car produced, shipped, and delivered:

1. You're on the northern west coast which can add +2 weeks.

2. If your car comes from South Africa it can add another +2 weeks.

Contact your dealer, make sure he gives you an allocation number, date of production, and factory location. From there you can get more accurate dating and potentially request a factory swap to Germany or an earlier allocation position to save more time.

BJ
Didn't really want to hear +2 weeks because I live up north. 8-9 is bad enough. Only good news is that we ordered the performance tires and and we normally don't get winter weather after March. As far as order info, won't be available to me until Monday apparently. Dealer needs to submit the order then has promised that info and access to some website for tracking status. Going to be a long two months.

Mike

Last edited by mcoomer; 02-03-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335i
Add the HK... it would cost more if you want to retrofit it later. you would need different door panels... or have to cut into yours. theres 2 speakers on each door. Im glad i have it. the stock system doesn't sound great when you turn it up. HK is worth it. Sounds even better then the HK that comes in the Benz c class. dont know how it compares to Audi s4 bang and Olufsen.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 AM

I'm going to call the dealer today to hold the order then stop by this afternoon to listen to both with my iPod, Sirius, and a CD. If there's a difference then I'll tack it on to the order. Ran a quick payment calculator and it looks like adding the HK would add about $16 to the payment each month. I can live with that.

Mike
Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 330i
Quote:
Wife needed a new car after burning up three clutches in her Wolfsburg Jetta so we bought her a BMW.
how did everyone forget this little tidbit.

any explanation there?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Wife's idea of being practical. Never mind that the practical thing to do is buy another VW, or a Honda Civic. In her mind the stereo wasn't necessary. Heated seats? Can't live without them. When I bought my last vehicle it had a Pioneer navi, speakers and amps installed in the first week. I'd love to have the HK. I do wonder how difficult it would be to install the HK setup in a car. Has anybody done that?

Didn't really want to hear +2 weeks because I live up north. 8-9 is bad enough. Only good news is that we ordered the performance tires and and we normally don't get winter weather after March. As far as order info, won't be available to me until Monday apparently. Dealer needs to submit the order then has promised that info and access to some website for tracking status. Going to be a long two months.

Mike
The summer tires add the high speed limiter (y rated tires) and the wider rear rims.

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 02-04-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Wife needed a new car after burning up three clutches in her Wolfsburg Jetta so we bought her a BMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus34r View Post
how did everyone forget this little tidbit.

any explanation there?
When we bought that Jetta, my wife was looking for a fuel economy car. Initially she was all over the Honda Civic and I simply couldn't have something like that in my driveway. I showed her a VW Wolfsburg Jetta and pointed out ABS on all four wheels, airbags everywhere, four cylinder turbo, fuel economy, etc. She decided to get the manual transmission because the mileage figure were one or two mpg better than automatic (if you know how to drive one).

Problem is, even after spending days and days teaching her how to drive a stick she wouldn't drive it properly. First, she's always nervous about rolling back into a car while on a hill. Solution: hold it with the clutch. Second, she doesn't like shifting so let's cut back on the number of shifts. Easiest way to do that...first to third, third to fifth, slip the clutch until the speedo catches up. Best example of why she's burned up three clutches. We live on a plateau so no matter which route you take coming to our house you're going to deal with hills. One day, traffic forced her to a full stop on a hill. Traffic moves and she tries to slip the clutch and get going. Stalls it. Start it up. Stalls again, and again, and again, and again, and again. Traffic is building behind her until finally another guy pulls his car to the side, walks over to the drivers side, and tells my wife to scoot over. He drives to the top of the hill. As he's getting out to walk the 3/4 mile or so back to his car my wife asks if he wants a ride back and he tells her hell no because he'd have to drive her car back up the hill.

And that's how you burn up three clutches in an otherwise very serviceable car. I'm going to replace the clutch, again, do the timing belt and water pump, and give the car to my recently turned 16 nephew. Car still gets just around 30 on the highway and the turbo pulls as well as it ever did even with 188000 on the ticker. We wouldn't have gotten much trading it in so it seems like a no brainer.

New clutch, timing belt, and water pump: about $700
New 335i xDrive, with tax and licensing: about $63K
Not having to put a clutch in my wife's car every 60K miles: priceless

Mike

Last edited by mcoomer; 02-04-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Mike:

That is one expensive 335i, I used to think 3-series were supposed to be $35K cars and less than $40K out the door with tax and license. A BMW M3 back in 2006 with SMG, Nav, HK Sound, Premium package, etc was only $57K and $62K out the door. Now you have one that's $63K...

So, I take it you got the automatic transmission for the wife this time?

Enjoy!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
As he's getting out to walk the 3/4 mile or so back to his car my wife asks if he wants a ride back and he tells her hell no because he'd have to drive her car back up the hill.
LOL!

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 02-04-2013, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
I'm going to call the dealer today to hold the order then stop by this afternoon to listen to both with my iPod, Sirius, and a CD. If there's a difference then I'll tack it on to the order. Ran a quick payment calculator and it looks like adding the HK would add about $16 to the payment each month. I can live with that.

Mike
Do it.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
So, we're getting an M-Sport in Mineral Grey Metallic with all options including the Harmon Kardon stereo.
Fixed it!

Went to the dealer and played around with an HK for about 20 minutes. Don't carry CD's with me but tried HD, Siriius, and IPod. Set the tone and EQ to neutral then slid the midrange down and tweaked the highs and lows a fraction. Good enough for a short test to convince me it's worth the cost. Signed the order form and now we truly begin the long wait.

Mike
Old 02-04-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Fixed it!

Went to the dealer and played around with an HK for about 20 minutes. Don't carry CD's with me but tried HD, Siriius, and IPod. Set the tone and EQ to neutral then slid the midrange down and tweaked the highs and lows a fraction. Good enough for a short test to convince me it's worth the cost. Signed the order form and now we truly begin the long wait.

Mike
Congrats!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
mcoomer: Congrats on the new order. What were your reasons for initially wanting the S4 instead of the 335ix?

patrick_y: Ya, 335i and 335ix have become hella expensive (base+options)...that's the cost of driving and owning the Ultimate Driving Machine, 22 years straight of Car and Driver's 10 Best, BMW logo, engine, performance, German engineering, commercials, maintenance, etc, etc, etc.
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
22K mi Jul14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryboysUDM View Post
mcoomer: Congrats on the new order. What were your reasons for initially wanting the S4 instead of the 335ix?
AWD was the driving factor in this purchase. Finding a car that had equal parts sport and luxury was another big consideration. Audi has made their mark with Quattro AWD and have very well appointed interiors. The S4 specifically? It pulls like nothing I've ever driven and has an exhaust note that had me grinning from ear to ear every time I put my foot in it. It's really amazing how quickly the power comes on when you tell that car to go. I can only imagine what an S6 is like. The steering and road feel is confidence inspiring. The car feels like you could throw it anything and it would stick. I also like the exterior aesthetic. It has a sharper, utilitarian look to it but with the LED and Xenon lighting and available color palette Audi has put together some very good looking cars of late.

Why did we end up with BMW? She initially was very much in the Lexus bag. Only the GS interests me and she wanted something smaller to save gas. I'm not buying a Lexus IS. I'm 6'2" and that's not a big car by any means. I don't want a Mercedes because the ones that do appeal to me I can't afford and you can't throw a rock around here without hitting a C or E. So, her nieces husband has a BMW and she likes the interior...lets go have a look. As much as I like the Audi's interior, the BMW is much, much nicer inside. Napa leather in both but the BMW's has a different feel to it it. Very soft and supple. Heated seats front and back, and more adjustments on the front seat. Heated steering wheel too. A HUD that I thought was going to be gimmicky but is rather functional. Power folding mirrors. It's simply nicer inside than the Audi. Luxurious? Check. Not as quick, definitely going to miss the Audi exhaust, but it can hold its own. Not digging the exterior as much as Audi though. The BMW is a very good looking car but it's busier. There are more lines and contours, particularly up front and on the hood.

In the end my opinion doesn't matter. It's her car so she should have what she wants. I've always driven trucks and have never owned a car, but I've always wanted a Corvette and when I told the wife she backed it. In a couple years when I see what the Stingray is like and if I decide to buy one you better believe it's going to be me calling the shots on it. This time it was her turn. I think that sums it up.

Mike

Last edited by mcoomer; 02-04-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Why did we end up with BMW? She initially was very much in the Lexus bag. Only the GS interests me and she wanted something smaller to save gas.
That's so cool!

Quote:
Napa leather in both but the BMW's has a different feel to it it. Very soft and supple.
I don't think BMW offers napa leather on any of the F30 cars...dakota leather is what it's called.

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 02-05-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
That's so cool!

I don't think BMW offers napa leather on any of the F30 cars...dakota leather is what it's called.
Not denying that fuel savings is a good thing, from an economic and environmental standpoint, but everything she'd told me leading up to this purchase indicated that this was going to be based on her desire to own a high end luxury car, not practicality. Now that you mention Dakota vs Napa, that would explain the difference in the leather finish. I was definitely confusing the two offerings.

Mike
Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
I won't have to worry about this for now with the new vehicle warranty but I'd like to find a scan tool for the car. I had a Ross-Tech VAG COM scan tool that worked with a windows PC or laptop and it was a great tool. Is there a similar product offered for BMW? Be nice to have.

[click here] - the very well known and appreciated Bavarian Technic, equiv to GT1 that BMW uses.

You can go deeper - this is a very detailed computer system. Check BMW coding forums for that, and the cable needed.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Quote:

patrick_y: Ya, 335i and 335ix have become hella expensive (base+options)...that's the cost of driving and owning the Ultimate Driving Machine, 22 years straight of Car and Driver's 10 Best, BMW logo, engine, performance, German engineering, commercials, maintenance, etc, etc, etc.
The 3 series is getting too expensive, I feel that I'm going to be priced out. The 535i RWD for only $60K well equipped sounds great to me. Fortunately living in Northern California I don't need AWD (unless I'm an avid skier) so I guess that's a fortunate thing for me.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_y View Post
Mike:

That is one expensive 335i, I used to think 3-series were supposed to be $35K cars and less than $40K out the door with tax and license.
Quote:
patrick_y: Ya, 335i and 335ix have become hella expensive (base+options)...that's the cost of driving and owning the Ultimate Driving Machine....
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_y View Post
The 3 series is getting too expensive, I feel that I'm going to be priced out.
Two things are responsible for the perceived high prices of 3ers today - Price adjustments for inflation and new technology options. Of course you can't do anything about price adjustments, but you can forego some of the new more expensive options.

Adjusted for inflation the price of comparably equipped 3ers is virtually unchanged since the early days of the E46 and in most cases a little less when you take into account features that are now standard, some of which weren't even in existence back then.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-05-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
[click here] - the very well known and appreciated Bavarian Technic, equiv to GT1 that BMW uses.

You can go deeper - this is a very detailed computer system. Check BMW coding forums for that, and the cable needed.
That looks like something I could use. The VAG setup save me a mint with the VW. Using the info returned from that with the service manual generally put me onto trouble right away and let me fix a lot of stuff before it became a major problem.

Thanks for the tip.

Mike
Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Two things are responsible for the perceived high prices of 3ers today - Price adjustments for inflation and new technology options. Of course you can't do anything about price adjustments, but you can forego some of the new more expensive options.

Adjusted for inflation the price of comparably equipped 3ers is virtually unchanged since the early days of the E46 and in most cases a little less when you take into account features that are now standard, some of which weren't even in existence back then.
Thanks, that makes me feel better.
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
22K mi Jul14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
While it sounds like an automatic is the right choice for your wife (and the new 8AT in the F30 is a great transmission!), did you know that BMW has had a "hill hold" feature on manual transmissions since at least the E46 (1999)? When you come to a stop on an incline (or a decline) after you take your foot off the brake the brakes will hold the car for 2-3 seconds, plenty of time to get your foot on the gas pedal, let out the clutch, and drive off. My 2006 Z4 M Roadster has it as well as my wife's 2011 335is Coupe. If she'd had a BMW instead of the VW, she may have had a better time learning to drive a manual!
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!