Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: x3
X3 Replaced Head Unit

Hi,

Okay, so yes I'm a newbie here, but please bear with me!

I have a 2005 X3 with the 6CD changer installed, along with the cr@ppy "business" sat nav, bluetooth etc.

However, the CD changer has been playing up for a while now and I keep putting of a replacement through fear of cost/ difficultly. However, I have a long road trip ahead and would like to have something in place before this starts!

Basically, the CD changer trays keep getting stuck when changing disks. This results in me having to punch (gently of course) the changer unit in the arm rest unit it releases properly. I dont think this is doing me or the car any good!

I have had a look at aftermarker single din (is that the right term?) installations, but I dont like the off centre replacement dash fitting. And I dont think a double din would look right in this car at all (just my opinion!).

So in order to address my problem I was wondering what to do. I would dearly love to have an option to connect my phone(s), which are iphone 5 and galaxy note 2 to the existing head unit so that I can play music that is stored on them but I cannot find any connections/ aux ports in the car to allow me to do this. Is there anything I can fit to enable me to do this? That way I can just leave the cd changer as it is and never have to touch it again.

I apologise if I have asked a stupid/ niave question here but I am totally new to all this and have NO idea what I am doing.

The bottom line is that I would like to keep the factory installed head unit , but have the option to connect my phones or ipod to it to play music.

Oh, I forgot to add that I dont have any of the user manuals for the car to enable me to look into this, and the nearest main dealer is 2 hours away!

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help a clueless fool!

Last edited by westbimmer; 02-04-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by westbimmer View Post
....... but I cannot find any connections/ aux ports in the car to allow me to do this. Is there anything I can fit to enable me to do this?
There a couple of different part nos. for the basic aux-in kit depending on NAV or not I believe.

The one shown in the bavauto link below is for non-Nav.

You will likely have to get it from your dealer. But check on ebay, you might get lucky.

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?rid=16046

AFTERTHOUGHT: you might be best to join the BMWLand forum and give Karl your VIN. and he will quote you a discounted price and post it to you.
http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...?f=42&t=143059

You are right that it is best to stay with your current head unit, all things considered.

If you didn't already have Bluetooth (and confirmed it works) I would recommend you check into Parrot (French company) offerings for that side of things.

Last edited by Supercourse; 02-04-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 AM

thanks for that. I'll check it out. the bluetooth works for phone calls, if thats what you mean?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a Dice kit that will be compatible with my 2005 X3? Please?

I have the orange arrow navigation system installed and a 6 cd changer that has all but died on me.

I see that there are different options but cant find the right one as they all refer to being compatible with different abbreviations?! I dont know what i have/ need!!? Whenever I search i find sites that state that the Dice unit is only compatible with "16:9 Nav", whereas i guess my x3 doesnt have this - thus making it incompatible?!!?

Failing this, I would be just as interested in identifying the correct AUX cable to allow me to connect and ipod.

Help!

Last edited by westbimmer; 02-06-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:12 AM

Hi, is anyone able to help me with my question above? Really need some guidance on this so that I dont buy the wrong thing.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 AM

aw c'mon guys!? Anyone?!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

audiovox/dice kits are on amazon and ebay.

this kit will replace your cd-changer so you wont be able to use it anymore. it should work with the nav ( i dont have the nav so i can't test it out for you)

if you want to replace your nav all together you can get dynavin in-dash nav and bluetooth system. i think you'll be able to keep your cd-changer with this

just my thoughts on the dice kit:
bluetooth A2DP is very low quality. I guess it's running on a low quality stream, because other A2DP radios work perfectly fine, i don't know whats wrong with DICE's kit.
the kit also runs slow, so changing through functions takes a little time getting used to.
The voice system on the kit is pretty stupid, i dont really like it

it gets the job done though.

Quote:
Failing this, I would be just as interested in identifying the correct AUX cable to allow me to connect and ipod.
if you just want auxiliary input

Last edited by murderland; 02-15-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: X3
i have a 2004 X3 with NAV (16:9) and Bluetooth. I used a crappy USA-SPEC ipod/iphone adapter I got like 5 years ago from BavAuto. The unit craps out on my sometimes and I have to unplug it and replug it, but I can confirm that it works. It plugs into the same socket as the 6 CD changer (replacing the changer). and I just throw an ipod into the center armrest storage area. I believe the DICE works in a similar manner.

In addition to this car, have used this on a 2002 E39 with just business audio and no Nav and an E39 M5 with the old 4:3 and it has worked with all of them.