Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
K-A's sentiments about the 3 vs 5 express many of my observations. I was inclined to be a 5 buyer at first, coming from a MBZ 300E, and used to mid size lux 6 banger. But when I hit the dealership and saw the F30s in person I said WTF! Began test driving 535s and fell in love with roomy cabin but drove 328 to compare. Couldn't fathom a 4 banger performing like that, and I owned a 16V 1984 MBZ 190E manual.

The F30 cabin looks like a cut and paste designed by committee job compared the the cabin of the F10 which appears finely crafted, fitted, and engineered, IMO. But I was sold on 4 cylinder and so apparently was BMW. They thought enough of it to power the 528i.

Long story short, I slowly shifted to favoring the 3 once I discovered the M Sport package available with the options I wanted. Bottom like is I'd be pleased to drive either.
It's true.
One of the main reason I got into a 535 is the gorgeous interior.
In my opinion this is something not even Mercedes or Audi can compare.
The F10 just have the classiest interior in it's class.

*Also omg those comfy seats, I could die in them

Last edited by smashhell; 02-10-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:28 AM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
^ word

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
K-A's sentiments about the 3 vs 5 express many of my observations. I was inclined to be a 5 buyer at first, coming from a MBZ 300E, and used to mid size lux 6 banger. But when I hit the dealership and saw the F30s in person I said WTF! Began test driving 535s and fell in love with roomy cabin but drove 328 to compare. Couldn't fathom a 4 banger performing like that, and I owned a 16V 1984 MBZ 190E manual.

The F30 cabin looks like a cut and paste designed by committee job compared the the cabin of the F10 which appears finely crafted, fitted, and engineered, IMO. But I was sold on 4 cylinder and so apparently was BMW. They thought enough of it to power the 528i.

Long story short, I slowly shifted to favoring the 3 once I discovered the M Sport package available with the options I wanted. Bottom like is I'd be pleased to drive either.
No doubt the F10 interior is gorgeous. I fell in love with the car "on paper" and after sitting in it. Unfortunately within 5 minutes of driving I knew I could never own such a car. Totally numb, big/heavy, and about as sporty as a Buick LeSabre. Sorry F10 guys, a 528i/535i is not a "fun" car to drive, when you're used to sporty BMWs.

My AH3 has a sticker of $65K, but the interior looks like a $35K car, to me. Yeah, that sucks. But it drives like a dream (especially in Sport Mode), and has every technical gizmo that a $65K 535i has. So basically I give up nice quality on the inside, for a more enjoyable driving experience. You can absolutely have both, but that is a $100K M5, and out of my budget
Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 13 335i M Sp, 13 SubBRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
No doubt the F10 interior is gorgeous. I fell in love with the car "on paper" and after sitting in it. Unfortunately within 5 minutes of driving I knew I could never own such a car. Totally numb, big/heavy, and about as sporty as a Buick LeSabre. Sorry F10 guys, a 528i/535i is not a "fun" car to drive, when you're used to sporty BMWs.

My AH3 has a sticker of $65K, but the interior looks like a $35K car, to me. Yeah, that sucks. But it drives like a dream (especially in Sport Mode), and has every technical gizmo that a $65K 535i has. So basically I give up nice quality on the inside, for a more enjoyable driving experience. You can absolutely have both, but that is a $100K M5, and out of my budget
Agree totally. I thought I would get a 5 for sure. Though I really liked the 3 the 5 had 440HP!

The interior is quite impressive and I like the center console much better than the 3 without the hand brake. But it works on the 3 and it works on the 5. I too found the driving experience totally numb. Showing with 480 ft lbs never was so blah.

I think the back end of 3 and 5 are the worst part of these designs but especially so on the 5.

With very similar interior space in both and 700+ less pounds, the 3 just made more sense for me.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Got Roundel?

Mein Auto: F30 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post

same situation here
2011 335i coupe (Gone but not forgotten)
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM
///M Sport

^ Why I copped a 328i M Sport

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Apparently the Dynamic Handling option for the F10 really cleans up the driving experience. I've read that driving one with versus without in the test drive can really affect people's acceptance of that car as a BMW. It doesn't make the F10 any cheaper, but if your only reservation about the F10 is the driving feel, I'd say make sure you drive one with Adaptive before you decide.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Apparently the Dynamic Handling option for the F10 really cleans up the driving experience. I've read that driving one with versus without in the test drive can really affect people's acceptance of that car as a BMW. It doesn't make the F10 any cheaper, but if your only reservation about the F10 is the driving feel, I'd say make sure you drive one with Adaptive before you decide.
I test drove more than one F10 with Dynamic Handling. It's still a car that drives like a barge. Luxurious indeed, but now more like a seven series than what a 3er is. In the past, the E90 and E60 were very close in handling characteristics. When I purchased my '06 5er back in late '05 the weight difference between it and the 3er as I remember, was about 100 lbs. Msn's comparison shows about a 50 lb. difference. For the 2012/13 models the weight difference, according to msn, is now very nearly 500 lbs. These numbers alone say a lot about the direction BMW has gone with the new 5er. It's a very comfortable ride, but no longer "fun."

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 02-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by everettpa1 View Post
Agree totally. I thought I would get a 5 for sure. Though I really liked the 3 the 5 had 440HP!

The interior is quite impressive and I like the center console much better than the 3 without the hand brake. But it works on the 3 and it works on the 5. I too found the driving experience totally numb. Showing with 480 ft lbs never was so blah.

I think the back end of 3 and 5 are the worst part of these designs but especially so on the 5.

With very similar interior space in both and 700+ less pounds, the 3 just made more sense for me.
Wow, that's interesting. I think the BMW rear design language is the best on the market right now, and IMO the F10 with M Sport Package has one of the nicest butts out there, lol.

The 2013 M Sport Package F10's come with a non-adaptive, "steel" suspension that sits lower and is a bit sportier than the adaptive suspensions on all other F10's. It's still cushy, but to someone like me who seeks luxury first and then sportiness a fairly close second, it balances the F10's driving dynamics out a bit better, to me at least.

As for the F10's interior, I agree with everyone. I think it's one of the nicest interiors out there, period, especially for under $100K (which makes sense as we benefit from a more modernized version of the F01's interior, lucky us). I came from an E-Class and the interior of this Bimmer feels like it's a segment or two above the E's, easy.

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 02-11-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 PM
///M Sport

^ Sweet ride, K-A

Old 02-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
^ Sweet ride, K-A
Thank you, and you as well! I drool over F30 M Sports in that color, by far the best combo on that car, IMO.

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
I switched from a (non-sport) E90 to a F10 with adaptive suspension -- and sadly F10 cannot hold a candle to E90 in terms of handling and driving fun. Heck, I even miss the N52. You cannot bend the laws of Physics.

But in terms of luxurious appointments and refinement, F10 is a class above -- more close to 6/7 series than 3 IMO.

Last edited by neilsarkar; 02-20-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:48 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsarkar View Post
I switched from a (non-sport) E90 to a F10 with adaptive suspension -- and sadly F10 cannot hold a candle to E90 in terms of handling and driving fun. Heck, I even miss the N52. You cannot bend the laws of Physics.

But in terms of luxurious appointments and refinement, F10 is a class above -- more close to 6/7 series than 3 IMO.
Yeah, I don't know that anyone claims that the adaptive suspension turns the F10 into an E90 - but would you agree that it moves the needle on the F10 enough so that the average driver won't complain about handling? I have no idea; I have never driven one. Frankly I'm a little afraid to give up my E60, in case I never find such a perfect size-handling combination again.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:59 PM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Yeah, I don't know that anyone claims that the adaptive suspension turns the F10 into an E90 - but would you agree that it moves the needle on the F10 enough so that the average driver won't complain about handling? I have no idea; I have never driven one. Frankly I'm a little afraid to give up my E60, in case I never find such a perfect size-handling combination again.
Please define 'average driver'. Most of the people I know wouldn't complain about the handling of a Camry .

F10 handles OK for a two ton sedan and corners without body roll, so I would definitely think those who buy BMW for the roundel would not mind. However, I used to have feeling-one-with-the-car sensation in my E90, and that was pure bliss! Sadly, that wonderful sensation is gone.