Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-02-2014, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i E39
Where is the Fuel Pressure regulator?

.. on a 2003 525i (E39).
I keep hearing people say its in the tank.. its "in" the fuel filter".. its here its there and cant seem to find a straight answer, so im done scavenging for one and id like to hear it from my buddies on Bfest.

Where is it.. Replacement diy .. and average time to replace?

THANKS!
Ads by Google
Old 07-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
It's integral with the fuel filter on all I6 beginning in MY 2001.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i E39
@johnstern

So in default replacing the fuel filter will directly replace the Fuel PR as well?
(just to be clear that they are the same piece)

Last edited by Deathstroke; 07-02-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
So in default replacing the fuel filter will directly replace the Fuel PR as well?
(just to be clear that they are the same piece)
Yes. That is correct.

Edit-To put you mind at rest here is the link to the realoem.com diagram for the fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator assembly for your car. I guess you can buy the FPR separately, but you can't buy the fuel filter without the regulator. Go figure!!!!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...18&hg=13&fg=10

Last edited by johnstern; 07-02-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: 02' 525i
Unfortunately the fuel filter is sold everywhere without the regulator to unsuspecting victims that can't use it.
After ordering a replacement fuel filter on eBay for my 02' 525i a few months back, I finally got around to replacing my fuel filter last night, only to notice upon removing the original, that my new replacement filter only allowed for one line in and one line going out. The old original had two in both directions. "Hmm...should have learned my lesson about 'O-E-imitation-Chinese-junk-M' parts a while back, I thought, but this was from one of my earlier purchase, before having horrible luck with the stuff.
Anyhow, I walked into O'Reilly, which had access to a nice stock selection up the road they don't disclose, and nearly anything BMW can be picked up by the late afternoon/ early evening. Surely they would have it, I thought, but all they had were the same as mine.
Confused by fuel filter. Not feeling very resourceful or inspired at this point.
So I walked into the Autozone across the street on my way home last night, only to be presented with the same filter.
When I thought that I was out of luck in my mission, a BMW-e46-owning employee of Autozone came to the front after consulting her boyfriend on the phone in the back.
Unbelievably brilliant what she told me to do: she actually sent me back to O'Reilly Auto parts, with instructions to ask for the fuel filter with the regulator attached.
Unless you hear otherwise in this thread, assume I am successful picking it up in the morning as described: fuel filter always should be ordered WITH regulator.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenwilson33 View Post
Unfortunately the fuel filter is sold everywhere without the regulator to unsuspecting victims that can't use it.
After ordering a replacement fuel filter on eBay for my 02' 525i a few months back, I finally got around to replacing my fuel filter last night, only to notice upon removing the original, that my new replacement filter only allowed for one line in and one line going out. The old original had two in both directions. "Hmm...should have learned my lesson about 'O-E-imitation-Chinese-junk-M' parts a while back, I thought, but this was from one of my earlier purchase, before having horrible luck with the stuff.
Anyhow, I walked into O'Reilly, which had access to a nice stock selection up the road they don't disclose, and nearly anything BMW can be picked up by the late afternoon/ early evening. Surely they would have it, I thought, but all they had were the same as mine.
Confused by fuel filter. Not feeling very resourceful or inspired at this point.
So I walked into the Autozone across the street on my way home last night, only to be presented with the same filter.
When I thought that I was out of luck in my mission, a BMW-e46-owning employee of Autozone came to the front after consulting her boyfriend on the phone in the back.
Unbelievably brilliant what she told me to do: she actually sent me back to O'Reilly Auto parts, with instructions to ask for the fuel filter with the regulator attached.
Unless you hear otherwise in this thread, assume I am successful picking it up in the morning as described: fuel filter always should be ordered WITH regulator.
The problem you are having, as explained above, is because all these aftermarket parts houses are selling you the wrong fuel filter. They might as well have sold you a fuel filter for a '49 Buick-same result: it doesn't fit. All MY 2001-2003 E39s sold in the US take the filter with the integral FPR. If you had gone to the dealer or used one of the mail order BMW parts houses (Bavarian, Turner, Pelican, ECS, etc.) you would have gotten the correct filter. The filter without the integral FPR would have fit my 2000 528iT perfectly. My FPR is clipped to the 3/2-way valve located just in front of the fuel filter.

Last edited by johnstern; 07-03-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
When it comes to fuel filter, oil filter, order online for Mahle, Mann, Bosch.
Local auto parts stores rarely have the correct filters, adding to your aggravation.

autohausaz
eeuroparts

dot com are a few places I order from...
Old 07-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Type /fuel pressure regulator f3 in the bestlinks and this comes up, among others...
- How does the E39 fuel injection FI system work (1) & the location of the K96 FPR fuel pump relay (1) & the location of the fuel system pressure test Schrader valve for the I6 (1) and V8 (1) (2) (3) & a quick test for fuel pump operation (1) (2) & what are the most often recommended fuel pump & fuel filter brands (1) (2) & a DIY for replacing the fuel filter (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & a DIY for replacing the fuel pump (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to service your BMW E39 fuel injectors (1) & how to replace the 7.52X3.52mm and 9.2X2.8mm fuel injector o-rings (1) & cleaning the fuel gauge sensor (1) (2) & replacing the fuel sensor (1) & resolving blown fuses due to a stuck fuel filler door solenoid (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 07-24-2014, 03:19 AM

Thanks @c90 @bluebee and @johnstern for your contributions to a thread started by... Um, @deathstroke.
Anyhow, sorry for delay and here's my update:

FUEL INJECTORS CLEANING
I have cleaned the fuel injectors and their seats in the fuel rail, being careful not to knock debris inside. Still need new o-rings.

FUEL FILTER HOSE CONNECTIONS
I replaced the hose connections and clamps connecting the lines from fuel tank to the fuel filter (in and return). Coming from the fuel filter to the engine bay: Is the hose connection from fuel pressure regulator smaller in diameter than the other 3/8 hose connections? 1/8" maybe? And it goes to fuel tank breather valve on 02' 525i?

LEAK FROM FUEL FILTER - UNKNOWN REASON
The connection on the fuel filter going to the engine with liquid gas isn't holding though, and I'm seeing a drop or so by the minute when ignition is in key position 2. *I don't get signal to the starter and my car's been immobile for a few weeks, but Ill post in electrical page for that one.

FUEL pump relay I replaced a few weeks ago successfully.

CCV valve and connecting hoses:
Replaced CCV valve and connecting hoses. Still need new o-ring for oil dipstick.
@bluebee : Do our 02' 525s have the fuel pressure regulator line going to the fuel tank breather valve (identifiable by the way in which it is held hanging from a little slit in its rubber casing, right? Or is it one of the lines on the F connector on the air intake?

Lastly, how in the world did anybody get the fuel filter back onto its large clamp, attaching it back to the body?

Last edited by allenwilson33; 07-24-2014 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:32 AM

O-rings from dealer are $5 each, with 12 needed to fit an i6. I'll go generic from the hardware store for a total cost under $6 rather than dealer cost of $60. Noticed I had swapped fuel injectors from an older e39, possibly reason for no start.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:18 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Still need new o-rings.
A listing of all the o-rings in the E39 can be found by typing /o-ring f3 in the bestlinks:
- Glovebox printouts for emergency use (1) and how to save $ money to qualify for free shipping on UPS/DHL/USPS/FedEx by stocking O-rings & gaskets & bulbs & vacuum hoses & fuses & wiper blade inserts & belts & bearings & oil filters & cabin air filters & engine air filters & fluids in your garage whenever ordering from the recommended parts suppliers.

Quote:
Is the hose connection from fuel pressure regulator smaller in diameter than the other 3/8 hose connections? 1/8" maybe? And it goes to fuel tank breather valve on 02' 525i?
I don't know if the fuel pressure hose sizes are listed in this thread, but typing /hose f3 nets me the vacuum hose sizes:
- How to locate all problematic (between 1/8" & 9/32" ID) 3.5x1.8mm, 3.3x1.8mm & (between 17/64" & 9/32" ID) 7mm ID vacuum tubing (single material), vacuum hoses (multiple material), 3.3mm OD curved vacuum pipes (rigid tubes), 3.5mm & 7mm ID vacuum endcaps (closed end) & 7x3mm manifold o-rings (1) & 7.52X3.52mm and 9.2X2.8mm fuel injection o-rings (1) & gaskets (1) on the M54 engine & where in the USA to get new vacuum tubing & vacuum caps (1) & what SAE sizes to get for all the metric M54 engine vacuum tubes, hoses, pipes, and caps (1) & correcting the F-connector errors in the realoem diagrams (1) & finding the ends of hard-to-locate vacuum tubes (1) & sorely needed clarification on how the M54 CCV vacuum port works on the M52 CCV valve connection to the fuel pressure regulator connection (1) & how to make, borrow, or buy lean-condition misfire test tools to test for vacuum leaks & lean conditions (1) (2)

If those threads don't show the size for the fuel pressure hoses, we should start a thread to determine all the fuel system hose sizes.

Quote:
Still need new o-ring for oil dipstick.
There are three of them, and one on the dipstick guide tube, just so you know. (Pictures are in the o-ring thread.)

Quote:
Do our 02' 525s have the fuel pressure regulator line going to the fuel tank breather valve (identifiable by the way in which it is held hanging from a little slit in its rubber casing, right? Or is it one of the lines on the F connector on the air intake?
Typing /f-connector f3 in the bestlinks nets this thread:
- Correcting the F-connector errors in the realoem diagrams (1) & sorely needed clarification on how the M54 CCV vacuum port works on the M52 CCV valve connection to the fuel pressure regulator connection (1)

Please add value to all this information by telling us what size o-rings you bought, and what you found out the solution to be, as we all stand on each others' shoulders.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need