Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-03-2010, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 540i 6 speed
ABS fuse

is there an ABS fuse?
Ads by Google
Old 02-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Don't know about a fuse but there's an ABS relay.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
According to the Bentley manual, fuse #17 is the ABA/DSC fuse. It is in the glove box fuse panel. I have not verified this yet. I will soon.

I went to an ice racing event last week. The ABS logic did not handle sheer ice well at all. I found that I had to do some extremely fast modulation on the pedal in order to get any kind of braking results. That is, each press of the pedal made the brake engage. Then I had to let it go quickly before the ABS logic kicked in and let the brakes go. If I was heavy on the pedal, I got a lot of "groaning" from the brakes. The groaning sounded like it was primarily coming from the front. I believe that the noise was the ABS logic firing at an extremely high rate. It seemed like it was letting go more than braking. This makes sense since on sheer ice, the wheel locks immediately and the ABS would naturally want to reduce pressure.

On the other hand, I found that the DSC helped for a lot on a launch on sheer ice. I disengaged the DSC once rolling so that I could use my mean skills My dilemma is that I would like to disengage ABS but now DSC, the aforementioned fuse #17. Oh well, I guess I need to work on my lame launch skills so that I do not need the computer...
Old 02-10-2010, 05:05 PM

2 other notes...

First, I am wondering what will happen if I either remove the fuse or the ABS relay. In particular, will I get an error code? As per my last post, I'll try it out and update this thread.

Second, buyer beware. I appreciate the post by bluebee. Unfortunately, the Bentley manual shows a different layout. Since the manual covers 1997-2002 variations are inevitable. I'll be checking this out once the winter storm clears...

OK, 3 notes. The relay is on the right side of the car near the strut tower. At least, that is what the manual says. I do not recall seeing these relays the last time I had the filter box off but, then again, I was not looking.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 01 525i; '02 530i
Would a bad ABS relay or fuse cause the DSC light to illuminate on the dash, or is that a symptom of some larger problem with the DSC?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomal View Post
If I was heavy on the pedal, I got a lot of "groaning" from the brakes. The groaning sounded like it was primarily coming from the front. I believe that the noise was the ABS logic firing at an extremely high rate.
Two things:

1. The easiest way to disable the ABS was determined in this thread.

2. What is the condition of your front shocks?

I ask about the shocks because ice might be light bumps, in a friction-less kind of way ...

Your description doesn't sound exactly like the well-known front ABS shudder that occurs when braking with old shocks on bumpy surfaces but it just might be that flat sheer ice and the top of a speedbump have more in common that we might think.

Well, three things:
3. If you disable the ABS, you'll likely throw a P0500 SES code

Old 02-10-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paindocc View Post
is there an ABS fuse?
Looking at the ABS diagram from here, I don't see a single fuse for the ABS???

Old 02-12-2010, 02:30 AM

There's nothing like a bit or empirical testing...

I removed fuse 17 and took a test drive. The ABS still worked fine. Hmm, so much for the Bentley manual.

A quick look did not turn up the relay. So, I removed the connector shown in the #5 entry in this post. The ABS and DSC lights came on, and the speedometer stopped working. A test drive revealed that, indeed, ABS and DSC were disabled. That was a fun test drive!

I might get back on the ice this weekend. I'll try a run with the connector removed and see what happens.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745LI
Disable abs

Which one did you disconnect to disable the ABS?
Old 11-01-2013, 06:20 PM

Long after this thread was created, we snapped a photo of and described every fuse and relay in the E39 over here:

- One user's attempt to locate, describe, and photograph all fuses and relays in the BMW E39 with a picture of every fuse & relay (1)