Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Loose gas cap warning followed by Service engine soon

I was driving from LA back to San Jose yesterday on my 2007 530i. I filled up the gas from LA. On my way when I was around 100 miles away from San Jose I made a short stop to get coffee. Before I got on freeway I got a loose gas cap warning. I stopped, got out and checked the gas cap which was firmly on. To ensure I opened the gas cap and properly tightened it again. After which the warning disappeared. After driving for around another 60 miles, now the "Service engine soon" light came on and it would not go off. The dealership I bought this car from has ripped me off twice and I would hate to go back to them again. Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumphigh View Post
I was driving from LA back to San Jose yesterday on my 2007 530i. I filled up the gas from LA. On my way when I was around 100 miles away from San Jose I made a short stop to get coffee. Before I got on freeway I got a loose gas cap warning. I stopped, got out and checked the gas cap which was firmly on. To ensure I opened the gas cap and properly tightened it again. After which the warning disappeared. After driving for around another 60 miles, now the "Service engine soon" light came on and it would not go off. The dealership I bought this car from has ripped me off twice and I would hate to go back to them again. Any suggestions?
The gas cap warning (large or small fuel leak) is notoriously fickle.

I removed my gas cap and studied what happens for months (long story).

See details here, over in the E39 side of the house.

Pay particular attention to the FTP and when the warning arises.

- Experimental results removing the fuel filler cap (aka gas cap) on the BMW M54 engine with resulting OBDII DTC fault and drive cycle reset (1) (2)

Old 02-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
I get the message "Check Gas Cap" every now and then.

Haven't gotten it recently. I'd just keep an eye on it.

Regarding the CEL. The check engine light sometimes has to do with fuel consumption/emissions, might be wise to pull the codes off the car and then find out what the codes mean.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_y View Post
might be wise to pull the codes
The OP appears to live in California, where no auto parts store will check codes, so I suggest this as the least expensive alternative:
- Cheapest CAN OBDII scanner on the net that reads DTCs, pending codes, & clears codes

Old 02-06-2013, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
SES disappeared itself

Thank you for all the help guys. I was planning on running the drive cycles and if that did not help getting some device to pull the OBD codes but to my surprise the SES light itself turned off this morning.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
here in NJ we have a gas cap pressure(vacuum??) test as a part of our pollution inspection. On occasion on other cars I have had to get a new cap to pass.
Maybe your cap is faulty???? first try some silicone GREASE on the seal.