Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 06-02-2014, 04:47 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: e46 m3
What's to know ?

Avoid smg. Watch for vanos and subframe issues.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: e39 525i
how reliable is the engine? issues outside of cooling?
Old 11-23-2014, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 M3
Electric fire on M3

I was really bummed by BMW's response to me that we will never be able to prevent fires occurring in cars. They offered my deductible ($500) and a reduction on a new BMW. Very disappointed.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
Help... looking to buy my first M3

Considering my first M3...

Private party seller. 2002 Convertible with 82k miles. Looks great. Sapphire black with cinnamon interior. It's an SMG, which I'm 50/50 on as the reviews are pretty mixed. It's stock with exception of air intake and navi system (which is not hooked up). Haven't had a reply to my questions about service history, carfax etc just yet.

Car has a problem with the Throttle Position Sensor.
It's been listed for quite a few months now (on and off) and I can't tell if it's a reluctant seller who doesn't want to part with a car he really likes.. or if something is up with the car that is delaying the sale, other than the TPS that is. I've been tracking this listing for a while, and the TPS wasn't mentioned at all until recently.. yet the milage hasn't increased on the listing. Maybe he forgot to change it, or maybe he's trying to pass off a bad SMG with a sensor issue...?

I'm thinking it's a SMG issue. Either way, I can't really test drive or have a certified BMW mechanic run a diagnostic or inspection on the car until the sensor issue is resolved. From what I can find throughout the forum, it looks like the 2002 M3 SMG has two TPS, one is on the front and is a simple fix, the second is buried deep under the manifold.. which I don't plan on doing myself. It's possible that it could also be a gas pedal which has gone out (seems to happen on the SMG model quite often), or it could be a wiring harness! Ughhh.

My heart says go for it and get the best price possible. The head is telling me that something is not right. I don't mind spending on the sensor repair.. but how can I rule everything else out? Is it possible to run a diagnostics to get feedback on transmission and engine, and emissions... what can a certified BMW shop determine from doing a pre-purchase inspection and test? I know a regular OBDII scanner won't give me what I need. I need a proper diagnostic test, which I'm willing to pay to have done. What has been your experience with troubleshooting and identifying potential issues? When you guys bought used M3's, what did you really know and what steps did you take to do your research? What is the best option for me, how should I proceed with this one? I'm certain they will need the sensor issue fixed before they can determine what else is showing... right? I'm somewhat hopeful that they can determine all current issues with the car through an inspection and diagnostic test... would any SMG issues show up during a diagnostic test, or would they need to do a test drive? Clearly they can't test drive it with a bad sensor that sends the car into limp mode.

Best case... I get him down to $9k, and spend $300 or so on the sensor part and labor (does that even sound about right?) for the #2 sensor or gas pedal repair/replacement. Still walking away with a good deal and a nice sharp ride.

Worst case... I get him down to $9k, fix the sensor issue and find out it's the SMG. What would I be looking at... besides the worst Christmas of my life!

I need some feedback guys, from the M3 vets and the newbies who may have faced the same situation when considering a first M3.

Apologies if the questions are redundant, I realize the vets have seen and heard it all before. I posted with the hope of getting feedback from both vets and newbies! First post, rest will be shorter. I promise. Be kind!
Old 12-13-2014, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 964 e430 Denali XL
If it was me I'd pay for a tow to a good independent and get a pre purchase done!
Old 12-13-2014, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
Apparently he's had the TPS repaired.

Still no Vin. Seems to be put off with my questions. Maybe I'm just asking the right ones! I hope to meet and view the car this weekend or early next week. I have the cash. $10k for a 2002 convertible with just 82k. Seems like a decent price, even if I discover a few smaller issues. Main concern is codes that might have been cleared recently and the SMG transmission.

Should be driving fine if he's had it fixed so getting it in for a pre purchase should be easy enough.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
I've had a 2005 M3 SMG for almost 2 years without any problems or extra expense vers the manual. Even have taken it to the track with no problems. Just have to maintain it like the rest of the car.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: 05 M3, 02 540 wagon
Looking for an M3 also

I have been shopping for an E46 M3 6 speed and was concerned about the sub frame issue. I have been told that the issue was mostly for the early models and by 2004 it was fixed. Are 04 -06 models just as prone to this issue?
Old 02-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: what ever starts
If you find a specific car in your price range I would have it checked out. Obviously if there is an issue any repair would be reflected in your offer. Good news about buying an older car. If there was an issue, is should show up. It has been my limited experience that almost anything can be fixed. Another factor is how you plan to use the car.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 750LI M3 Mustang Tundra
get a ppi from a shop that knows bmw and knows the e46m
Old 02-27-2015, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: Mercedes
SMG is not that expensive as described

[QUOTE=JayKayo;7361988]1) SMG will cost you 2-3x more to maintain and fix. They are faster on the road than 6-speed versions of the E46 M3 but they are really terrible in reliability.

I would partially disagree with this. There are tons of M3s with SMGs with over 100K miles and if pump des not go bad then it can last quite long time. Yes, if pump goes bad it will cost you a lot to replace, but SMG is still a great transmission.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: what ever starts
The SMG gets a bad rap. The key to any car is maintenance. That is time and or money spent prior to it breaking down not re[pairing something that already has done so. To often people get confused on this issue.
Then you have to overcome any preconceived notion you have base on what ever you have read and deemed to be true. If you plan to beat the snot out of any car you better have a budget for replacing items that will take the abuse. There are lots of items you can do yourself. I thought shimming the valves would be hard but it was actually one of the easiest things I have done on a car. It is time consuming but not hard at all. Nice thing about an SMG car is you know that the motor wasn't over revved due to sloppy shifting. With any vehicle I buy, I plan on replacing all of the fluids. I do not care what I am told about when it was last done. If I did not see it done, in my mind it did not happen. Your car like clean fluids.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 328
Question E46 m3 2006

I want to buy a 2006 M3 convertible with manual. It has 106k miles and I know the owner who was meticulous in the upkeep. New valve caps, new clutch, almost everything has been done and all at the dealership. I want to make it my only car but I drive about 25,000 miles a year for work. I love the car ,its the color combo I want (blue with saddle + nav package) and its a head turner even at 10 years old. I mostly drive on the NJ turnpike so its mostly hw miles I would be doing. Does this car have another 150k in it, driven everyday?

My wife is scared that the upkeep will be too expensive and I don't have a valid argument. I had a 2008 X5 that was a lemon (bought used) and I lease a 13 328 ix. Leasing makes no sense now since I drive so much. I am a BMW lover ever since I saw a 318 back in the 80s. Anyway have one with mega miles that could offer some advice?
Old 07-12-2015, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: Mazda
I was looking for a ZHP, but after watching that video - and also always wanting an M3 - I checkout out how attainable it would be to get one. I found one on Craigslist that had 50k miles, built in 2002 and I think I could possibly get it for $15,000. Test drive coming soon. Any thoughts? It doesn't have the 6spd or navi and is a common color. But it seems like a good price considering the miles and an older woman drove it.
Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ645Bern View Post
hey all. i currently have a 2005 645ci that i plan on trading in. i am interested in the e46 m3. doesnt matter what year. so what should i know? what are the usual maintence costs and what problems should i expect with these cars and at what mileage. any info would be useful. i appreciate it.
If you get an smg, the vanos is the biggest problem to worry about. However, once you replace the vanos you can go for miles before you need to replace it again. The best thing about the e46 m3 is that the engine is very strong and last you a long time.

You need to sell that 6 series asap. 6 and 7 series leak oil like there's no tomorrow. The computer normally goes down as well. if you can get an idiot to buy it, get rid of it.... Honest opinion.......
Old Today, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: M3
Talking E46

If you are not willing to maintain an M don't buy it. M series are very sensitive and demand a lot of your attentions. So, if you can't do that. M is not for you...

Holla