Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Unregistered User

Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 525i
Headers

Hello everyone! I'm here today to ask a few questions about headers. First of all, I drive an E34 525i with an M20 engine, and since 90% of E34s are M50 I figured I'd go here, to the pros! Anyway, back on topic, I've started to really get into upgrading my car, and without a better flowing exhaust it can only be so good. To make this pretty here are my questions:

-What headers would you suggest? (E34, so space is no issue)

-In order to install headers, do I need to remove the head?

-What kind of gains should I expect to see? (If my engine were completely stock)

-What should I expect to pay for the entire job? (I do all work myself)

-Some headers place the O2 sensor so it only reads half the cylinders, is that okay?

Thank you all for your input!
Mileage: 250k
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2013, 05:25 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Post Exhaust 101

Firstly, not all headers are created equal
I design my headers around displacement, stroke, cam and the power characteristics my client wants.
Secondly, the header works in conjunction with the rest of the exhaust, so I'd rather get a matched set
That said, if you run a stock M20 anything you do to it will be rewarded
I normally design the headers to make up for some of the lost bottom-end torque from the cam I use.

Headers & systems should be bolt in !

The manufacturer should tell you what gains to expect ! Since all set-ups are different, it often becomes a case of one lying a little more to outdo the other

I would charge you about 8000 Rand for a complete system, to give you an indication

Read your plugs after having fitted everything, and put the O2 sensor in the richest pipe. Easier said than done
Your Lambda sond tries to adjust your motor at cruising to stoichiometric (to satisfy legislation), which is too rich for economy
So the location, in your case, is only important for it to run within operating temperature parameters.

Hope not to have confused you
Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Unregistered User

Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 525i
Well I can't afford to get custom made headers unfortunately so I've been searching online for some. Thing is the only ones I can really find are from Ireland Engineering and OBX, IE headers just look cheap OBXs are actually cheap . It seems like any time I find ones that seem really nice they're either grossly expensive, weld on, or discontinued...

If it's of any assistance my engine is lightly modified. So far what I have is a 2.7" MAF conversion, performance chip, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and a high flow fuel pump. A few future investments I plan to make are things like fuel injectors, and of course headers.

Also I MIGHT get into more involved upgrades in the far future.
-Lightweight flywheel (next clutch change)
-More aggressive camshaft (next belt change)
-Upgraded radiator and fan delete
-Oil cooler

So if you know of any manufactured headers that are good, I would love to hear your suggestions!
Mileage: 250k
Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 AM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
Try and get dyno graphs from the header manufacturers. Have your existing injectors rig cleaned and tested.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
I agree with father figure, but sadly a lot of unscroupulous operators publish Dyno figures that have no meaning
maybe also check the web for a shootout ???
Old 02-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to fporro Send a message via Yahoo to fporro Send a message via Skype™ to fporro
Mein Auto: 87 325iC
There's so many to choose from depending on your goals and budget, here's some candy from RD ...

http://e30motorwerks.com/index/produ.../16-rd-headers

Last edited by fporro; 02-15-2013 at 12:45 AM.