Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330XI
Question about tech package for 2013

Hello all,

BMW owner for about 5 years (330XI 2006) and making the upgrade to a 328i X-Drive with technology package, lighting, and moonroof. Nothing to fancy but glad to be able to get the new car with a warranty and some new features!

My questions are with the tech package...

1) I assume it has Bluetooth and shouldn't be an issue with the iPhone 5 correct?
2) I have been looking through the forums and it seems that the hard drive is nice but an Itouch is much better. Does the normal apple cable work to sync it with the Idrive system? I had to have a kit installed in my 06 to make it work.
3) Does anyone know how hard it is to install a Sirius module? I am fairly mechanically inclined just curious as to whats involved or if I should have them do it?
4) Anything I should be aware of? I drove the car and loved it, making the switch back to an auto from the stick but with traffic in the DC area I think it will be a nice change.

Thanks again for the advice, I apologize if these questions have been asked and answered before, I was working my way through the search feature and was coming up empty.
Ads by Google
Old 03-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E90 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue02 View Post
Hello all,

BMW owner for about 5 years (330XI 2006) and making the upgrade to a 328i X-Drive with technology package, lighting, and moonroof. Nothing to fancy but glad to be able to get the new car with a warranty and some new features!

1) I assume it has Bluetooth and shouldn't be an issue with the iPhone 5 correct?
2) I have been looking through the forums and it seems that the hard drive is nice but an Itouch is much better. Does the normal apple cable work to sync it with the Idrive system? I had to have a kit installed in my 06 to make it work.
3) Does anyone know how hard it is to install a Sirius module? I am fairly mechanically inclined just curious as to whats involved or if I should have them do it?
4) Anything I should be aware of? I drove the car and loved it, making the switch back to an auto from the stick but with traffic in the DC area I think it will be a nice change.

Thanks again for the advice, I apologize if these questions have been asked and answered before, I was working my way through the search feature and was coming up empty.
I can't answer them all but I can a couple..

1) bluetooth is standard. What you get with Enhanced Bluetooth is A2DP (wireless music over bluetooth) and BMW Assist

2) can still play music with apple cable, can't fully sync things like messages etc though.

3) I'm pretty sure all cars have the hardware for SiriusXM radio, and needs to be enabled by Dealer, regardless if you added the option or not.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:00 PM

The dealer says I need to purchase it from parts though, and on the website it lists it installed and uninstalled. Was hoping someone would have had done the install themselves and could let me know how difficult it was or if it requires some serious removal and wiring...

2002 Mustang GT, True Blue Coupe

Built and Blown - 553rwhp 530rwtq - 11psi
618rwhp - 15psi and race gas (still more left, just need a smaller pulley!)

Kenne Bell 2.6L Super Charger, fully built cobra aluminum short block, rotating assembly, ported heads and blower cams. Custom sheet metal intake, TKO-600, built rear-end (and a whole lot more)
Old 03-21-2013, 05:06 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Hello all,

First off, welcome aboard.

1. Bluetooth works flawlessly for the iPhone 5 for telephony and text. Email is dicey but will work soon. Siri is a gamechanger, works right now so long as you hit the home button on the phone.

2. iTouch is a must-have. Yes, standard white Apple cable is all you need.

3. My last car I spent $700 for parts and labor to put the module in.

4. The head-up display is great, something you don't think you need and then it becomes something you'll never live without.

Enjoy.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
the other guys can probably explain the rest but i'll chime in about sirius

every 3 series has sirius radio reciever module and sat prep, just if you don't get premium package the sirius won't be activated and you hvae to buy an FSC code and have it recoded after buying the car. you can do this through a dealer and when i was looking it was looking to be around $600 and probably a day at the dealer having them recode it. you get a 1 year trial with it.

or you can use bimmer-tech and they will ship you an ethernet cable to ODB cable (e-net cable) in the mail. you have to install a bunch of stuff on your laptop and have internet access and they can code it remotely (from poland actually) using remote access software. i think bimmer-tech has some local installers too, but i used the remote install and its about $320. took about an hour after i scheduled with them and got my laptop setup. depends if you want the comfort of a dealer or them to do it, but its the same eithre way they have to get you an FSC code and program it in. for me honestly on top of being way cheaper, it was also much more convenient.

Last edited by hans007; 03-21-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 328i 2013 Sport Line
Quote:
Hello all,

You want enhanced Bluetooth and USB with BMW Assist. That will allow you to use your iPhone for phone services, my contacts, and texts and emails.

I have an iPhone 5 and I get texts and emails (they all show up in the text inbox, but otherwise are normal).

I use an iTouch connected via the USB port in the armrest to control Pandora and Stitcher (and I believe you can do the same with MOG) through the iDrive, and using the BMW Connected App on the iTouch, I can run the BMW APPS (News RSS feeds, Twitter, Facebook, Wiki Local, and Web Radio) and access my calendar (synced with my Outlook calendar at work.

By the way, I use the Personal Hotspot feature on my iPhone to give iTouch internet connectivity.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:52 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Hello all,

No issue.

The Tech Pack includes Enhanced Bluetooth/USB and BMW Apps. You should search the forum and BMWUSA.com for details -at least twice a week your same question is answered- just because there are quite a few details.

Quote:
See above. The iTouch will require an internet connection to use BMW Apps.

Quote:
The iDrive has the Sirius tuner built-in. Sirirus activation is via software codes; your local dealer or forum vendor BimmerTech can provide the codes. Contact them for pricing -1-year service included with activation.

Quote:

Yeah, right.

Enjoy your new BMW.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:39 AM

Thanks for the responses, I am very excited to take delivery of the new car! I am sure I will be picking your brains more about all the features and apps and everything else these new cars are capable of.

Kenne Bell 2.6L Super Charger, fully built cobra aluminum short block, rotating assembly, ported heads and blower cams. Custom sheet metal intake, TKO-600, built rear-end (and a whole lot more)
Old 03-22-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Melbourne Red
does the tach package really include Enhanced Bluetooth/USB and BMW Apps? i wasnt aware of this.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 AM

It is listed on the spec sheet, I am going to check it out again next week.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:10 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetrius Joel View Post
does the tach package really include Enhanced Bluetooth/USB and BMW Apps? i wasnt aware of this.
Yes. Not for 2012, but was added for 2013.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®