Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745LI
2008 X5 4.8 - Time for Brakes - Suggestions?

Our brake wear light has illuminated letting us know its time to spend $2k to replace the brakes. BMW dealership wants approximately $500 per wheel plus tax.

Has anyone have any of the other Tire/Service centers do this? We have Big O Tires, Les Schwab, Discount Tire among others. All say if I find aftermarket parts they can do the install, but if I go OEM I may as well go to BMW as they can't save me any money at all.

I guess my question is, is it worth looking at Aftermarket parts for the Brake job, or just suck it up and spend the 2k and be done with it? Also if using aftermarket, who do you recommend going with?

Thoughts....

Thanks!

Last edited by Ptrkgmz; 02-05-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: adding info
Ads by Google
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5
I'd like to see the cost breakdown for the quoted $2k... maybe I should start a side business...
Old 02-05-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 991 C2s Cab/X5 5.0i
I'm with smyles. After market pads, rotors and sensors should be around $600. $1,400 for 2 to 3 hours of labor! I just pickup a 2013 5.0 M sport and changed the pads at 30 miles with Posi Quiet pads $168 and 1.5 hours labor. I did that to eliminate brake dust. This is the third X I have done this on.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
BMW dealers offer "BMW Value Service". Check it out. They claim that the price is competitive with local independent shops. Disadvantage of going with BMW OE brake pads is that they are dusty!! But they don't require warming up and stop well.

Another excellent resource is Bimmershops.com. Check them out. Make sure the service includes replacing the brake sensor/wear indicator. The sensor is actually a little involved and requires careful routing of the cable into a harness tray. Make sure it is done right.

Last but not least, DIY. Doing a brake job is a straightforward procedure. Make sure you have the right TORX/Star socket (#E18) for the caliper bracket bolts. Do not use a 16 point socket! You'll strip the star bolt.

I like Zimmermann coated rotors. As far as brake pads: take your pick ...

I agree with NCAMG: aftermarket quality parts front and rear about $600 to $800 (rotors, pads and sensors).
BMWCCA #20645
Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
BMW dealers offer "BMW Value Service". Check it out. They claim that the price is competitive with local independent shops. Disadvantage of going with BMW OE brake pads is that they are dusty!! But they don't require warming up and stop well.

Another excellent resource is Bimmershops.com. Check them out. Make sure the service includes replacing the brake sensor/wear indicator. The sensor is actually a little involved and requires careful routing of the cable into a harness tray. Make sure it is done right.

Last but not least, DIY. Doing a brake job is a straightforward procedure. Make sure you have the right TORX/Star socket (#E18) for the caliper bracket bolts. Do not use a 16 point socket! You'll strip the star bolt.

I like Zimmermann coated rotors. As far as brake pads: take your pick ...

I agree with NCAMG: aftermarket quality parts front and rear about $600 to $800 (rotors, pads and sensors).
Great advice.

I like Centric pads and rotors...nothing 'magic' about 'bmw oe parts'...
Old 02-05-2013, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: M5 & X3
My experience with non oe brake/rotors was unrelenting brake squeal and less than optimal braking. Did it once years ago and never to be repeated. False economy IMO

So choose your aftermarket stuff carefully if you go that route AND use an installer who knows what they are doing.

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5
Old 02-05-2013, 06:39 PM

BMWs have floating calipers -- not the best -- so make sure you clean the slides and lube them and also lube the screw in pins. It also helps to coat the back of the pads with anti squeal paste.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: E70Diesel, E46
I just replaced my front brakes today. I used akebono pads and got the set for $87 and the sensor for$21. I didnt replace the rotors yet. It's still within spec. There's a lot of good reviews on the akebono pads (dust is not as bad as OEM). I just got tired of cleaning my wheels every other day due to brake dust.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
I think unless the car your driving requires special brake pads, sensors, and rotors ala (think Veyron or Enzo), I would not stick with the dealership service after the warranty expires.

First find an indie.
Big national auto mechanic chains are a hit and a miss (some are excellent dont get me wrong, but some are what I call breakachanics)

Second figure what your looking for in rotors, pads and sensors.
If you like what you had before, then just buy the OE parts and ur set.
If you want something different, figure out which company and product line suits your individual needs. I remember when a friend of mine put EBC red stuff (since he saw some youtube videos on how amazing they are on the track) on his corolla (never tracked or driven spiritedly) only to find out that when the pads were cold they squealed and were terrible in terms of bite. So figure out which compounds suit your individual needs, and not just purchase whichever brake parts based on the Marketing slogans and bright pictorials.
Rotors are dependent again on what your driving style is. If your not tracking your X5 (im positive that 99.9% are not), you can just get some nice blanks from brembo or such and your golden. Avoid slotted and cross drilled as they promote rust and premature failure.
Sensors, just use OE spec ones.

Third put it all together.
If you are truly a preventative freak, I would also change the fluid and check all brake lines for corrosion or failure. If you want to set the standard high grab some high performance replacements and your ok.

Hope that helps

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAMG View Post
BMWs have floating calipers -- not the best -- so make sure you clean the slides and lube them and also lube the screw in pins. It also helps to coat the back of the pads with anti squeal paste.
Lubricating the slide pins ... I don't disagree necessarily. I clean and lube the guide pins too, but use synthetic lube grease, not petroleum based ...

Here's BMW's official position on lubing the slide/guide pins. This TIS is from 2001, so there may be an update:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	do_not_grease_slide_pins.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	361030  
BMWCCA #20645
Old 02-06-2013, 12:58 PM

PAX5 that is interesting. I did my brake pads on my 2013 at 30 miles and those pins were lubed with something from the factory. I didn't mess with them at 30 miles because everything was super clean.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Freude am Fahren

Yup. Do a google search on lubing BMW guide pins and you'll find a 1000 and 1 opinions on this.

However for me, the most convincing one has to be the one that says that the BMW caliper guide bolts are NOT to be lubricated because the guide is made of rubber. Many [petroleum based] lubricants make rubber swell (a well know phenomenon when using conventional petroleum based engine oils, causing swelling of engine block seals. Leaks occur when you switch to a synthetic oil). A steel guide bolt inserted in a [dry and clean] rubber guide does not bind. Or does it?

If you have to lube, I suppose that lubricating the pins with graphite powder or 100% pure silicone is OK?

To lube, or not to lube ...
BMWCCA #20645
Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Quote:
To lube, or not to lube ...
Old 02-09-2013, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptrkgmz View Post
Our brake wear light has illuminated letting us know its time to spend $2k to replace the brakes. BMW dealership wants approximately $500 per wheel plus tax.

Has anyone have any of the other Tire/Service centers do this? We have Big O Tires, Les Schwab, Discount Tire among others. All say if I find aftermarket parts they can do the install, but if I go OEM I may as well go to BMW as they can't save me any money at all.

I guess my question is, is it worth looking at Aftermarket parts for the Brake job, or just suck it up and spend the 2k and be done with it? Also if using aftermarket, who do you recommend going with?

Thoughts....

Thanks!
I have been in the car business for most of my live , I buy OEM and install them my self it cost me about 150.00 for front brakes. But be careful of the sensors
Old 01-20-2014, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 1966 Vette 2008 X5 4.8L
I put Wagner Thermoquiet pads and Wagner Rotors on my X5 front brakes, they were available at the local Auto Parts Store and I needed them right now. I have to say they work well, stop great and less dust than the OEM pads.
These did not come with the sensor, I had to buy that separately.
I have used Ferodo pads in the past, European made, these felt exactly like OEM, maybe they are the OEM, same dust, same performance.
Greasing the Sliders and pins is necessary but the type of grease must be SYNTHETIC brake grease. SYNTHETIC based grease will not affect the brake rubber components.
Standard grease will cause major brake failure if it gets on the brake caliper seals. SYNTHETIC has been used on brakes for years to lube the sliders and pins.

EDIT NOTE: My apologies, in my above post I used Silicone several times when I should have said Synthetic. Big error. Synthetic Brake grease is sold at all parts stores.
Again, my apologies for this mental error. I replaced the term in the note above.

Last edited by Westlotorn; 01-20-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlotorn View Post
... Silicone has been used on brakes for years to lube the sliders and pins.
... to lube or not to lube ... continues to be the question.
BMWCCA #20645
Old 01-20-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
... to lube or not to lube ... continues to be the question.
Just make sure you use SYNTHETIC not Silicone based grease
Old 01-28-2014, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Brakes

Quote:

Thoughts....

Thanks!
Find an independent BMW repair garage as they should have the ability to reset trouble lights.
The brake sensor is often toast unless you change pads before the sensors get waxed. There is one front brake pad sensor and one rear sensor. The rotors need to be checked and verify they have adequate thickness. It is not uncommon for rotors to wear past minimum thickness with only 2 or 3 pad changes.
Zimmerman is supposed to make a decent rotor. I just replaced my front rotors with Bosch. Since the rotors tend to wear out no matter what you do I would consider aftermarket ones and out here in the west a pair of rotors is likely over $ 250.00 plus installation.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 535xit
Use Akebono Pro pads - absolutely silent, dustless and bite that matches OEM. I tried cheaper Centric pads before and they were scary - nowhere near the same grip. A friend w/ a 535 wagon had the same results
Old 01-30-2014, 01:57 AM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Quote:

Thoughts....

Thanks!
Les Schwab on BMWs? They will want to replace your perfectly serviceable calipers with remanufactured parts before they will touch your pads as a rule.

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 01-31-2014, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: X5
I went with centric high performance rotors. Same company that makes stop tech and this rotor although cheaper is same quality as stoptechs rotors which I've run on almost all my cars. I paired them up with akebono ultra ceramics all around and the set up is great. I took a shot in the dark with this set up but worked great stopping feels better than OEM in my opinion. Got the whole set up for like 450$ including new sensors. Cheapest auto parts we site ROCKAUTO.com.. They literally have the CHEAPEST. Parts online for anything. It's like they sell wholesale.. Same rotors I bought from them at like 50-70$ autoanything.com wanted like 110$ for the same rotors!!!

Last edited by Joyaant; 01-31-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto:
Any thought on Wagner Thermo Quiet ceramic brake pads? And the rotors.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-04-2014, 11:53 PM

I put the Wagner Thermoquiet Pads and Wagner Rotors on my 2008 X5 a year ago now, they work just fine and have less dust than the OEM pads. I have to say I used them because I needed them, local Auto Parts store had them on the shelf in Wagner. They also had the Wire harness in Wagner and it looked exactly like the OEM I pulled off but had to be purchase separately. All worked fine and did not break the bank. I do use this car in Mountains and on local commutes. Brakes are smooth and quiet at all times. I have no complaint.