Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 325iC
Ebay brakes review

This is an eBay brake review. I know the main concerns are safety (cracks) and performance. Other than that, just will it rust? So here we go, I bought them on 09/29/12 from seller brakemotive76 on Ebay. They have about 7000+ miles on them, self-installed, and driven pretty hard. I think this matter so I'm going to say it, I'm in Arkansas and we have a LOT of hilly, curvy country roads, random full speed to stop highway traffic and downtown is just stupid, so these brakes have been through it. I also drove to Moreno Valley, CA and back.

"[FRONT + REAR] PERFORMANCE DRILLED SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS AND PADS"

I use to have OEM blank rotors and nothing was wrong with them, I just needed pads. I saw the brakes and was a little curious so I got them for $158, free shipping. Compared to OEM rotors and pads, they are an upgrade. You lose a little when it comes to fast full stops (not that noticeable) but gain in "Hot" braking situations, if that makes sense. They are smooth when cruising but has a very good bite. I haven't see any rust but then again I'm in Arkansas (got salt?), we have had a lot of rain and it snowed (more than normal) and the car has sat for a week but still no rust. Now yes, rust on the brake pad contact surface but we all know that is normal. No cracks and still no noticeable wear on the rotors. The pads also still have a lot of go in them. Also no sqeeeeeek.

Now to clear some things up, I know BMW forums have a lot of "purist" and people who believe, "higher price, better quality", and people who say, (serious voice) "why would you cheap out on something like that?" Fact is, I've personally see OEM and Brembo blanks crack, better yet, the Brembo were 4 months old (daily driven). Any brand, style, and price rotors can crack or worst. Why they crack do NOT matter, they are still cracked. To believe that something cheaper will break faster is silly. "Well, you got lucky" and you woke up this morning, feeling lucky, aren't you. Rather it's cheap or high-priced, the risk is still the same, and something can go wrong. My friends has tracked his car (e36 328iS) 4 times since he got the same rotors, he replaced the pads twice. Anyone who tracks know, not bad. He also has Raceland Ultimo coilovers (two years old), try to tell him, he has junk. He'll prove you wrong very quick. (ok.. so what, still junk )

Are slotted, drilled or both worth it? It's up to you. Do you like to speed through country back roads or just ride slow and enjoy the breeze? Or maybe you just want to add a little more style; it's really up to want you want or looking for. For me, I like all of the above and these brakes help me get home safely every time.

Last edited by thatguytruth; 02-06-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Breaks and Brakes
Ads by Google
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
The only time I would consider these is with a series of side by side tests breaking from 60-0. Not one test, many.

Just my $0.02

Ed.

Sent from my U8651T using Bimmer App
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
The only time I would consider these is with a series of side by side tests breaking from 60-0. Not one test, many.

Just my $0.02

Ed.

Sent from my U8651T using Bimmer App
I agree but I don't have a way to do that.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
I'm glad you've had a positive experience with your purchase, but this is 100% anecdotal.

Also:

Break = when something falls apart.
Brake = what stops a car.

1998 BMW 328is Shooting Brake
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
I am so confused.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
I'm glad you've had a positive experience with your purchase, but this is 100% anecdotal.

Also:

Most reviews are 100% "anecdotal".

Oh and I see what you mean lol, I'm going to fix it now. I wrote this at 3 in the morning but still, no excuse.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:

I think I fixed all the breaks and brakes.

Wait... omg.. I did it to the topic name.

Edit: Okay, got all the breaks and brakes.

Last edited by thatguytruth; 02-06-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Warm Leatherette

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguytruth View Post
Most reviews are 100% "anecdotal".
Which is why most reviews don't offer much to the reader. Nevertheless, if they don't squeal or produce tons of dust, that's pretty much all that people care about on a street car.

1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Cool, less confused now.

I think you're a bit crazy, and rationalizing. I also get disgusted by folks saying "I bought eBay ____, they're awesome."

eBay is not a brand. eBay does not sell anything. eBay is a service for folks to sell their crap online. You probably bought a product from someone selling that product on eBay. If you don't supply more information, no one is going to know what the hell you're talking about.

Moving on. Drilled and slotted brake rotors provide less braking power than blanks, unless the blanks are overheated. You're putting your life at risk (and others around you) by using them. I seriously doubt any over-land condition you put your BMW in will make effective use of the new rotors. Are you racing at the track? No? Don't use them, then.

You're also chewing through pads at a higher rate due to all the surface changes the pad experiences. You're definitely losing money there.

The only other reason to get these is for the 'cool' factor. If that's worth the extra risk, brake pad wear, and money, then by all means, have at it.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Which is why most reviews don't offer much to the reader. Nevertheless, if they don't squeal or produce tons of dust, that's pretty much all that people care about on a street car.
When I can a chance, there is a app called "Car Performance". I will use it to get some numbers and add them to the review. I know a lot of car reviewers use it and works well. If someone else with OEM rotors would like to do the same, even better.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
Cool, less confused now.

I think you're a bit crazy, and rationalizing. I also get disgusted by folks saying "I bought eBay ____, they're awesome."

eBay is not a brand. eBay does not sell anything. eBay is a service for folks to sell their crap online. You probably bought a product from someone selling that product on eBay. If you don't supply more information, no one is going to know what the hell you're talking about.
I know this but most think eBay = Bad and once they see eBay, that is all that matters. Simply search the breaks on eBay and you will see the brand " brakemotive".

Quote:
Moving on. Drilled and slotted brake rotors provide less braking power than blanks, unless the blanks are overheated. You're putting your life at risk (and others around you) by using them. I seriously doubt any over-land condition you put your BMW in will make effective use of the new rotors. Are you racing at the track? No? Don't use them, then.

You're also chewing through pads at a higher rate due to all the surface changes the pad experiences. You're definitely losing money there.

The only other reason to get these is for the 'cool' factor. If that's worth the extra risk, brake pad wear, and money, then by all means, have at it.
I'm pretty sure I stated that they have not worn the pads yet and my friend used up two set after 4 days of tracking(normal). The amount of braking power lost is small, not "oh no, I'm going to hit this old lady". I've always had a problem with brake fade with blanks in MY case. Which comes the my last point and the reason for the last part of the review, it depends on what you want them for. For me, I like that I can drive quickly through a country road like the back woods of Sherwood,AR and come to a down hill 80 degree turn at 60 mph and feel no fade or jerks. So I have to wonder if you understand that everyone situation and have you used slotted and drilled on a daily car? Because if so, how long did the pads last?

When the pads or rotors go bad, I will update asap.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 imola red 740i Sport
In a way I am kind of glad to see this thread. Based on a number of factors, none related to the use of said sellers product nor eBay, I panned this product. I suggested to the OP to give them a try if so inclined because I didn't think they would kill them and they where so darn cheap then if they don't work throw them away.

Either way, thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by rdorman; 02-06-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Cool, less confused now.

Yes, no and depends.

Last edited by rdorman; 02-06-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguytruth View Post
I know this but most think eBay = Bad and once they see eBay, that is all that matters. Simply search the breaks on eBay and you will see the brand " brakemotive".

I'm pretty sure I stated that they have not worn the pads yet and my friend used up two set after 4 days of tracking(normal). The amount of braking power lost is small, not "oh no, I'm going to hit this old lady". I've always had a problem with brake fade with blanks in MY case. Which comes the my last point and the reason for the last part of the review, it depends on what you want them for. For me, I like that I can drive quickly through a country road like the back woods of Sherwood,AR and come to a down hill 80 degree turn at 60 mph and feel no fade or jerks. So I have to wonder if you understand that everyone situation and have you used slotted and drilled on a daily car? Because if so, how long did the pads last?

When the pads or rotors go bad, I will update asap.
Brakemotive, gotcha. Cool.

There is something wrong with your braking system if you experience brake fade on the stock rotors off the track.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Warm Leatherette

The stock rotors are excellent on the track. It all comes down to pad selection and fluid. The rotors have never been a limiting factor in these cars.

1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 02-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

This was my thread on new brakes.

Blast from the past!

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
This was my thread on new brakes.

Blast from the past!
Exactly what I run on my BMW. My father when faced with the same decision on his BMW presented my recommendation to his BMW purist mechanic, who initially balked at the akebonos. He now offers them as a low dust alternative with his customers.

Sorry OP, off topic. On topic, good deals can indeed be had and it has a lot to do with perception and expectations.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Vanos Kickin In!!!!

Mein Auto: 94 bmw 325i
"So I have to wonder if you understand that everyone situation and have you used slotted and drilled on a daily car? Because if so, how long did the pads last?"

I have them on my 98 volvo v70 awd turbo for about 20-30k and they are still doing great and looking brand new.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Just a kid with a toolbox

Mein Auto: 330ti
I'm going to add in my experience on ebay brakes:

On my first car, a 325i,I bought those same ebay brakes for my car. Drilled and slotted rotors, and ceramic pads. Couldn't beat the price. My father bought those same brakes for my Mother's X3, and for our E30 race car (Lemons granted)

(Spirited driving/DD) On my car they shimmy under hard braking. They squeal VERY loud. but on and off. The stopping power is actually good comparing it to stock. Brake dust is decent.
(DD) On my mothers car, despite proper breaking in procedure, they chronicly squeak and squeal to an unbearable level. No comparison for stopping power. Brake dust is decent.
(Racing) What a bad idea, trust me, don't do it. We went through the pads into the metal in a race. Stopping power is a joke, brake fade is enormous.

In the end I'd say spend the little extra and get a better setup. For my new 328i I got much better quality stuff, because if there is a place to not cheap out.... it's the brakes.

P.S. Most of the generic parts found on ebay are cheapy made in China with little to no quality control. These manufactures sell it to cheap companies that all sell it to the massess on ebay. When I say I have ebay _______'s, I'm saying it's some cheap Chinese replica. And the quality almost always reflects it.

Last edited by Jakobie1086; 02-07-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

WTF are eBay brakes?

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-07-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobie1086 View Post
I'm going to add in my experience on ebay brakes:

On my first car, a 325i,I bought those same ebay brakes for my car. Drilled and slotted rotors, and ceramic pads. Couldn't beat the price. My father bought those same brakes for my Mother's X3, and for our E30 race car (Lemons granted)

(Spirited driving/DD) On my car they shimmy under hard braking. They squeal VERY loud. but on and off. The stopping power is actually good comparing it to stock. Brake dust is decent.
(DD) On my mothers car, despite proper breaking in procedure, they chronicly squeak and squeal to an unbearable level. No comparison for stopping power. Brake dust is decent.
(Racing) What a bad idea, trust me, don't do it. We went through the pads into the metal in a race. Stopping power is a joke, brake fade is enormous.

In the end I'd say spend the little extra and get a better setup. For my new 328i I got much better quality stuff, because if there is a place to not cheap out.... it's the brakes.
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. My friend and I haven't had the same problems at all. I've never heard them squeak. Were they self-install or shop? Not questioning the work but maybe it was something else going on. And the racing and spirited part is weird to me. I guess it was is a hit and miss. I never feel any shaking or fading and no squeal. I'm very puzzled.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
WTF are eBay brakes?
Petriej... we talked about this already. Does everyone know what we mean by eBay brakes by you?

Ok everyone, for Petriej, please use the brand name even though they are mostly sold and bought on eBay.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Warm Leatherette

The term "eBay" is a pejorative at this point, and refers to anything sold on eBay which isn't manufactured by a name-brand company. Pretty much just a basic term which is applied to cheapo stuff.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Jakobie. It provides evidence of what I suspected all along. Cheapo rotors are known for having poor metallurgical properties, as well as inferior venting and less thickness.

1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 02-07-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 94 Mtechnic, 91 vette
if you're going to talk about "ebay" brakes, you have to specify the company that supplies them. Not all ebay suppliers are the same. These are my experiences with "brakemotive"

I ran "brakemotive" brakes on my 88 corvette. They were very inexpensive compared to going with "name brand" brakes. I used the ceramic pads that came with them. Install was easy, everything fit correctly. I bed them in using their suggestions, and had no issues with them when driven aggressively, or in stop and go traffic. They stop well, and mine didn't squeak/squeal at all. Absolutely no noise. My favorite point about the brakes was the low dust. Mine wheels stayed 10x cleaner, and the dust wasn't hard to clean off at all. They come zinc coated as well, so they look a lot better. Zinc coated brembos are much more expensive.

the only bad thing I've heard about them is the longevity of the rotors. I've heard of a few corvette guys that run them and have had them crack(though a relatively low #). I can't speak to longevity as I only had about 1k miles on them.

Would I run them again? Maybe. I know i wouldn't track them, because of the low cost/drilling/slots. I think they're a good, cheap alternative and plenty of guys have run them with success.

Here's pics of the rotor

Last edited by Alan777; 02-07-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan777 View Post
I ran "brakemotive" brakes on my 88 corvette. They were very inexpensive compared to going with "name brand" brakes. I used the ceramic pads that came with them. Install was easy, everything fit correctly. I bed them in using their suggestions, and had no issues with them when driven aggressively, or in stop and go traffic. They stop well, and mine didn't squeak/squeal at all. Absolutely no noise. My favorite point about the brakes was the low dust. Mine wheels stayed 10x cleaner, and the dust wasn't hard to clean off at all. They come zinc coated as well, so they look a lot better. Zinc coated brembos are much more expensive.

the only bad thing I've heard about them is the longevity of the rotors. I've heard of a few corvette guys that run them and have had them crack(though a relatively low #). I can't speak to longevity as I only had about 1k miles on them.

Would I run them again? Maybe. I know i wouldn't track them, because of the low cost/drilling/slots. I think they're a good, cheap alternative and plenty of guys have run them with success.

Here's pics of the rotor

Thanks on your input.