Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:19 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullkoll View Post
I totally agree!

Once you learn to manage the intensity control, it is easy to get the right climate (summer or winter) if you are alone or with passagers - damp, warm or cold.

Coming (as I do) from E46 and E90 (where there is no intense control) it takes a while to get used to, though.
The E90 had an intensity control, it just worked differently.

In the F30 you leave the intensity control on one setting that you like and never touch it again, no need to constantly manage it any more.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sport
I set mine at 69...gives the babes something to think about when they get in my car.

Another tactic is to turn on her seat heater without her seeing and start making suggestive comments- heh, heh.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken335i View Post

Another tactic is to turn on her seat heater without her seeing and start making suggestive comments- heh, heh.
I usually just whip out a wad of 100's and that's that.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 02-08-2013, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

In the F30 you leave the intensity control on one setting that you like and never touch it again, no need to constantly manage it any more.

BJ
The LCI E90 works the same way if I understand you correctly. You can set any of 5 levels of intensity and the fan will always work at that speed in auto mode unless you change the intensity level. You can override this to higher fan speeds by turning off auto mode.

By the way this morning I experimented with the auto mode. In a cold car I set the temperature to 72. When the car was warm enough the fan went to the intensity speed I preset. If I changed the temp to 84, there was no change in fan speed so it's not like Max AC.Max AC overrides thermostatic mode. Keep in mind this is a 2011 E90 so the F30 logic may be different but I doubt it. The only operating difference would be that the fan would stay on longer until the temp at the sensor reached 84 degrees.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:

BJ
Some may like it with that set up but I for one don't. On my X 3 when your in auto and the temp is set on 70 the intensity goes up to its max, as the cabin gets warmer the intensity drops until the 70 is reached and then the intensity stays at that point. Thats what I call AUTO. Am I doing something wrong in the F30 because its not working that way?
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats

Last edited by vern; 02-08-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Some may like it with that set up but I for one don't. On my X 3 when your in auto and the temp is set on 70 the intensity goes up to its max, as the cabin gets warmer the intensity drops until the 70 is reached and then the intensity stays at that point. Thats what I call AUTO. Am I doing something wrong in the F30 because its not working that way?
cheers
vern
Yeah, the F30 has a change to the logic of the fan function. What used to be "fan speed" is now "fan intensity" and it's a subtle but different operation.

In your X3 (and my old E90 LCI) no matter what the fan speed was set at, the car would max the fan until the desired temperature was achieved. So, in your example, you get in an ice-cold car, the thermostat is at 70, the fan speed is at middle. After 5 minutes, the engine is warm and ready to deliver heat. It ignores the fan speed, blasts the warm air until it hits 70 degrees, then it backs down to your selected middle fan speed.

In the F30, different. You get in an ice cold car, thermostats set to 70, fan intensity set to middle. After 5 minutes, engine delivers hot air. But now, instead of blasting at full fan speed, the car sees your middle selection and delivers the hot air at the middle fan speed. To get the car to deliver maximum fan speed, you either need to a) spin the thermo's to 84 or b) tap-tap-tap the fan intensity to high. The fan intensity logic says "thou shalt not blast the air any higher than the user-selected fan intensity setting unless he's at 84 degrees". I guess BMW found that owners wanted control over the blast and noise on the way up instead of the way down.

So, that's why the recommended operation for the new functionality of fan intensity to save the most manual effort is to set the temp to 70 and set the fan speed to middle all the time. When entering the ice cold car, spinning the thermo's to 84 ensures that the warm air will be at full blast when its ready. Spend the winter spinning up to 84 for 10 minutes, then spinning back down to 70. That's the way to get maximum heating the fastest with the fewest amount of control movement. In lieu of a MAX button for heating (like the cooling version for summer), spinning the dials does the trick in the most efficient manner.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 02-08-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:37 AM

Mein Auto: F30 318dA 2013
"Turn the wheel to set the desired temperature.
The automatic climate control reaches this temperature as quickly as possible, if necessary by increasing the cooling or heating output, and then keeps it constant.
Avoid rapidly switching between different temperature settings. The automatic climate control will not have sufficient time to adjust the set temperature."

From the F30 owners manual
Old 02-09-2013, 03:38 AM

"AUTO Mode: The automatic climate control reaches this temperature as quickly as possible, if necessary by increasing the cooling or heating output, and then keeps it constant."

Intensity Control: "With the AUTO program switched on, automatic control of the air volume and air distribution can be adjusted."

From the F30 owners manual.

Temperature = thermostat setting.

Output = heat or cold air mixture.

Volume = amount of airflow.

Adjusted = set your own airflow.

If translated properly, the owners manual stating exactly what I am stating. The AUTO button simply controls temperature and air mixture while the intensity control dictates the maximum amount of air flow.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 02-09-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:50 AM

My experience with the new AUTO-mode in F30 (and my former F20) is this:

* You can (and should) find an intensity position that suits you (and the climate you drive in) as a ´standard´positition. Probably in the middle somewhere.

* Find a temperature that gives a good climate in the car - probably the same summer and winter and you DON´T ever have to change that unless you drive in the winter in T-shirt or in a fleese jacket with long underwear in the summer......

* As the manual states the AUTO-position increases the output if needed - and that means increasing the airflow as engine temperature increases, and then remain in a flow strong enough to keep the set temperature.

* If you wish you can leave AUTO by pressing the AUTO-button and change the airflow or distribution of the air yourself

* If you choose to stay in AUTO you can still adjust the ´intensity´and thereby changing the airflow, but with the same distribution and temperature

I just came home from driving in -27 C (-17 F ?) here in cold Sweden and using the AUTO position and the temperature set at +22 C (72 F?) I got a warm and cosy car in about 10 minutes.

I drive a 318 diesel with cold climate equipment and therefor the car has an electrical´Zuzatsheisung´as the germans call it, to help the car distributing warm air when it is cold.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:

* As the manual states the AUTO-position increases the output if needed - and that means increasing the airflow as engine temperature increases, and then remain in a flow strong enough to keep the set temperature.
That is incorrect. "Output" in the owners manual refers to "the mixture of hot air and cold air necessary to achieve the desired temperature". That does NOT mean "airflow".

The "airflow" is controlled by the intensity setting, and the system will NEVER exceed the intensity setting unless the temperature dials are spun up to 84 degrees. The airflow will increase/decrease as you drive but it will NEVER exceed the intensity setting you've selected.

So if you are in AUTO, leave your intensity setting in the middle, leave your temp at 68, get into a cold car, and then wait 5 minutes for the heat to start, the "airflow" will NEVER exceed the middle setting. As such, it will take far longer to heat up the car than if you spin the dial to 84 which guarantees the fans will be at maximum airflow the moment the engine is ready to deliver the heat. It's easier to rotate the temperature dials and wait the 5 minutes for maximum heating then to leave the temp alone, wait for the quiet fans to engage at medium intensity, and then tap-tap-tap the intensity up to high.

Get it?

Quote:

I drive a 318 diesel with cold climate equipment and therefor the car has an electrical´Zuzatsheisung´as the germans call it, to help the car distributing warm air when it is cold.
Perhaps the fact that you own a Swedish diesel with special cold climate equipment explains why you are confused on this subject. The majority of us are driving American gasoline F30's with no such special equipment. So thank you for your input, it is applicable to other Swedish diesel cold-climate owners, however it currently is only confusing the majority of the posters in this thread which was started by a poster with an American F30 and the Automatic Climate Control with Enhanced Features.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 02-09-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:16 AM

My last post..... about this subject

German reading lesson:
Im Automatikbetrieb übernimmt ein Programm die Luftverteilung und Luftmengensteuerung und hält die Lufttemperatur nach Ihren Wünschen konstant.
(From bmw.de)

In english:
In AUTO a program takes over and controls the air distribution and airflow and keeps the air temperature according to your wishes.

´Luftmengensteuerung´ = Air flow control (Google translation)

My point (as I started pointing out) is that there is no need to increase the temperature setting - keep your standard setting and let the Automatic Climate Control with Enhanced Features do the job!

End of story

Last edited by fullkoll; 02-09-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:

My point (as I started pointing out) is that there is no need to increase the temperature setting - keep your standard setting and let the Automatic Climate Control with Enhanced Features do the job!

End of story
German reading lesson:
"Ja, wenn Sie aus Schweden sind, wollen 10 minuten warten, um warm, und wie zu kalt wird."

In English:
"Yes, if you are from Sweden, want to wait ten minutes to get warm, and like being cold."

End of story.

BJ

Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
German reading lesson:
"Ja, wenn Sie aus Schweden sind, wollen 10 minuten warten, um warm, und wie zu kalt wird."

In English:
"Yes, if you are from Sweden, want to wait ten minutes to get warm, and like being cold."

End of story.

BJ