Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Quick question about VANOS

Hello,

I live in an apartment and I am heading to my parents (4 hour drive) to do some maintenance on Friday. I have been wanting to clean the VANOS for a long time. I don't think I will be able to get any seals or parts by then, do you think I can take them off without needing to replace the gaskets? Also, Does anyone have detail on the procedure on hooking them up to a power source (like how many amps, I think its 6v, and which is positive/negative)?

On a side note, I will be changing the transmission fluid, diff fluid, coolant. Anything else I could add to the list for 100k maint.?

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 02-06-2013, 01:17 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Brake bleeding unless yours is OK in that regard. VANOS removal should not damage both the seals that are in there per VANOS. I would order new seals regardless because if they leak you have the parts and if not you have them for the next cleaning and they are dirt cheap maybe 8 bucks a set or so.
If your VANOS is working why would you need to check the operation? If it isn't working then swap the VANOS around as they are interchangeable.
I doubt they are 6 VDC I would expect them to be 12 VDC. How do you know what is what? Use a VOM and just check the plug that will provide you the input however I think the operation is normally off until you get to a certain rpm when the DME will send a signal to provide power to the solenoids. I am not certain on this but on other older VANOS that is how they operate.
Here is a video that shows how to do this on a 4 cylinder. Your engine being a 6 cylinder is virtually the same and you should be able to follow this as a guide.

Not that the VANOS comes out the front of the engine and not toward the rear it is much easier to do unless there is some clearance issue like the radiator...
Here is the realoem.com site for part numbers
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...36&hg=11&fg=15

Last edited by fun2drive; 02-06-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the reply. I do hope to get the seals eventually. I wonder if a BMW dealer stocks them. Time to make some calls. I threw the VANOS codes a while ago, did an oil change and they went away... I figure they are probably dirty after 100k miles.... never hurts to clean them, right? I read somewhere that they were 6 volts... someone said specifically not to run 12 to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess.1@tisca View Post
4. Rigged up an independent power supply of a variable 5.5 volts (do not apply 12volts)
Actually 5.5, i guess.

My brakes seem very good. It looks like some fluid has leaked out of the master cylinder at some point.... there is crusty fluid around the fill point. Don't know if this is an issue.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
perfect

I will do myself now

dealer here charge $1000+ to replace...

what a scam
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokewithvanilla View Post
Thanks for the reply. I do hope to get the seals eventually. I wonder if a BMW dealer stocks them. Time to make some calls. I threw the VANOS codes a while ago, did an oil change and they went away... I figure they are probably dirty after 100k miles.... never hurts to clean them, right? I read somewhere that they were 6 volts... someone said specifically not to run 12 to them

Actually 5.5, i guess.

My brakes seem very good. It looks like some fluid has leaked out of the master cylinder at some point.... there is crusty fluid around the fill point. Don't know if this is an issue.
Just for clarification, you are talking about the VANOS solenoids, not the VANOS itself. And I would disagree with you on the "never hurts to clean them" statement. If the codes went away after the oil change, your problem is fixed. The cleaning additives in the new oil did their job. Cleaning is recommended if you have a problem. It is definitely not recommended if there isn't. Can see absolutely no upside.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post
Just for clarification, you are talking about the VANOS solenoids, not the VANOS itself. And I would disagree with you on the "never hurts to clean them" statement. If the codes went away after the oil change, your problem is fixed. The cleaning additives in the new oil did their job. Cleaning is recommended if you have a problem. It is definitely not recommended if there isn't. Can see absolutely no upside.
Yes, sorry. I meant the VANOS solenoids. Just curious, but what could go wrong in cleaning them?

My theory, and I am basing this on no facts at all, is that they were probably gunked up, new oil helped, but didn't necessarily remove the gunk. I feel like the codes will come back with time. The car was not due for an oil change for many, many miles. I did it on a whim after reading a forum post.

Last edited by cokewithvanilla; 02-07-2013 at 11:19 AM.