Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Which Options Have The Best Resale Value?

Pretty self-explanatory question, I hope. I would imagine that some options (e.g., Park Distance Control, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package) have better resale value when trying to sell the car than others (e.g., High Beam Assistant).

In your opinion, which options have good resale value and which do not?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Ads by Google
Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
i'd imagine probably leather seats, the sunroof and well i guess if you consider an engine an option, the 335i option probably does ok as will a 328 over a 320i (all else being equal of course). most of the other options probably not so hot, but certain ones are probably extremely low residual (i'm going to figure dhp, bmw assist, driver assistance) especially the ones that are mostly electronic. h&k probably low residual.

Last edited by hans007; 02-06-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Yoyo Mama

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335xi BSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
Pretty self-explanatory question, I hope. I would imagine that some options (e.g., Park Distance Control, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package) have better resale value when trying to sell the car than others (e.g., High Beam Assistant).

My CA told me Premium package (mostly because of the leather seats) will see the best resale value. Also - the lighting package for the 328s (standard on 335).

Depending on where you are, heated seats could command a premium as well.

F30 2013 335i xDrive BSM :: 8AT :: Sport Line:: Tech Package :: Anthracite :: Heated Seats

E90 2006 325i SG :: steptronic :: xenon :: power/heated seats :: comfort access :: sat prep :: poplar
Mods: Chrome Exhaust Tips

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Retired: 2001 325i
Retired: 2003 TL 3.2
Old 02-06-2013, 02:33 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

My opinion, the answer is "nothing makes a major difference".

The bigger variables will be color, mileage, condition, and the other cars of same type that you're up against the month you're putting your car up for sale. Clearly, some things are expected to be on a BMW and so on a '13 the critical ones that aren't standard would be leather, xenons, and navigation. But those won't help you get more money; they'll just prevent you from having a car that can't sell at all.

But, in the end, on a 5+ year old car and one as popular as a 3 Series which is sold by millions of private sellers and hundreds of CPO dealerships, not much of that stuff is worth anything, not like you're going to get an extra $2,000 because your car has juicy options. Like I said, the extra options protect you from taking a bath. If anything, having a car with no options would give you the best ROI because there is less to depreciate.

If you care about the money at the end, consider leasing. Unless you keep your car for more than 7 years, leasing is actually the smarter play.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
3 pedals will have a limited but very fanatic market. Dealers will try to steal it on a trade (saying no one wants MT anymore) but in reality, there are enough enthusiasts out there who are scanning inventories and autotrader daily who are willing to pounce on the 3 pedal cars.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: Awaiting my July 2014 ED.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
If you care about the money at the end, consider leasing. Unless you keep your car for more than 7 years, leasing is actually the smarter play.
Acknowledging that there are a lot of variables, why do you say that?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i F30 Sport Line
Quote:
My opinion, the answer is "nothing makes a major difference".

The bigger variables will be color, mileage, condition, and the other cars of same type that you're up against the month you're putting your car up for sale. Clearly, some things are expected to be on a BMW and so on a '13 the critical ones that aren't standard would be leather, xenons, and navigation. But those won't help you get more money; they'll just prevent you from having a car that can't sell at all.

But, in the end, on a 5+ year old car and one as popular as a 3 Series which is sold by millions of private sellers and hundreds of CPO dealerships, not much of that stuff is worth anything, not like you're going to get an extra $2,000 because your car has juicy options. Like I said, the extra options protect you from taking a bath. If anything, having a car with no options would give you the best ROI because there is less to depreciate.

BJ
Been trying to sell my '07 Audi for the past month... Everything he says here is true to my experience.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
The best resale will probably be a base model. It's like the "Worst house in the best neighborhood" argument. The worst resale will be a heavily loaded model.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 02-06-2013, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
M sport and Xenon AND 5 YEAR waranty
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 02-06-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcruiser View Post
Acknowledging that there are a lot of variables, why do you say that?
If you do the math, buying and keeping the car for 7 years and then selling it will only be worth $1000 at most to your pocket vs. leasing 3 brand new cars in the same span. And most people who intend to keep their cars for 7 years actually get out in Year 4 and really get killed.

The reasons:

1. BMW's unlimited warranty ensures $0 maintenance or repair costs for all 7 years you are leasing.

2. Investing the $50,000 you're going to give to a bank to pay off a note and depleting it slowly over 7 years will give you a significant return on that money.

3. Instead of owning a depreciating asset, you'll be making small monthly payments on something that won't depreciate.

There are tons of threads on the subject, lots of models run and personal experiences shared. The truth is, people who buy and drive for 7 years could have leased instead and in most cases broke-even or only lost $1000 or so. BMW's are not cheap to repair, and once out of warranty that eats into the "profit" that you expect when its time to sell the old thing.

The only way to get some sort of "win" in this game is to buy a CPO that's 3 years old off-lease. Keep that car for 7 years, you might make out. BMW's unlimited warranty and the value of the cars make leasing a much better option. The monthly payments are low and you can guarantee $0 repair costs. Over 60% of all BMW's are leased, and it's for this reason. Drive 3 brand new cars in the next 7 years, not 1 old one. It's not worth it.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 02-06-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
None of the options have good resale value -- but good luck finding a buyer with none of them. I've been out looking at used E60s, and I wouldn't consider buying one without nav -- and yet the resale on nav totally sucks. So go figure that logic, but it's true.

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
If you do the math, buying and keeping the car for 7 years and then selling it will only be worth $1000 at most to your pocket vs. leasing 3 brand new cars in the same span. And most people who intend to keep their cars for 7 years actually get out in Year 4 and really get killed.

The reasons:

1. BMW's unlimited warranty ensures $0 maintenance or repair costs for all 7 years you are leasing.

2. Investing the $50,000 you're going to give to a bank to pay off a note and depleting it slowly over 7 years will give you a significant return on that money.

3. Instead of owning a depreciating asset, you'll be making small monthly payments on something that won't depreciate.

There are tons of threads on the subject, lots of models run and personal experiences shared. The truth is, people who buy and drive for 7 years could have leased instead and in most cases broke-even or only lost $1000 or so. BMW's are not cheap to repair, and once out of warranty that eats into the "profit" that you expect when its time to sell the old thing.

The only way to get some sort of "win" in this game is to buy a CPO that's 3 years old off-lease. Keep that car for 7 years, you might make out. BMW's unlimited warranty and the value of the cars make leasing a much better option. The monthly payments are low and you can guarantee $0 repair costs. Over 60% of all BMW's are leased, and it's for this reason. Drive 3 brand new cars in the next 7 years, not 1 old one. It's not worth it.

BJ
My 335i convertible was purchased outright and the 750Li is leased. Our Jaguar XKR was also leased. I will probably keep the 335i (its a 2007) for a few more years. I will possibly replace it with a 4 Series convertible. By that time the 750 lease will be over and I will have to evaluate whether the expense of garage two cars in Manhattan is worth it. I purchased an extended warranty and extended maintenance on the 335i.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 02-06-2013, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
I'm in year 7 of my 530i and I think I've spent a total of $200 in out of warranty repairs.

With a new car lease, do you think BMW is making an interest free loan?

Quote:

The reasons:

BJ

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 02-06-2013, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
I would say all options have little resale values, so just pick what you need and be happy. Dealerships usually would suggest options that help them to sell CPO's on 3 to 4 year-old cars.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
I'm in year 7 of my 530i and I think I've spent a total of $200 in out of warranty repairs.

Of course it is not an interest free loan and of course you are paying for depreciation. With a lease you know exactly how much it is depreciating because that was negotiated at the beginning of the lease. In the case of our Jag leasing was a great option because we did not replace it (we did not want the hassle of maintaining a Florida car) and we did not have to hassle with disposing of it. We just drove it back to the dealer in Palm Beach and said goodbye,

A lease is merely an alternative way of financing.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 02-06-2013, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: Awaiting my July 2014 ED.
Quote:

The reasons:

BJ
I think those are all fair points. But I don't understand why you picked seven years. Is that some sort of average? I generally expect to buy and keep a car for 10 years. Those last three years are when I've always assumed it finally became efficient to own. (I also think the mileage is a significant variable).
Old 02-06-2013, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 335
My dealership tried to say that they were low balling me $1k on trade in because I didn't have heated seats, but I ended up getting the $1k back through negotiation. As others have said, people look more at exterior and interior condition over options. Since BMW charges ridiculous amount for techie items, and techie items are ever changing, I would think those options have the highest depreciation value. I would add sports and performance packages as well. In general, my belief, is that people looking for a 5yr old or more BMW are looking for the brand and not much else. So, a vanilla would probably save you more money in less depreciation than all the fancy options.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Add oil changes, tuneups, and other miscellaneous maintenance that BMW covers in warranty and I'm certain you've spent at least a couple of thousand dollars on your car.

Let's say your car (in today's dollars with tax) cost $50,000 and currently is worth $12,000. Subtract $2,000 for maintenance and repairs and tires you've spent these past 7 years. That's $40,000 you spent net-net.

Had you leased instead, you'd have paid out $500 a month, been in 3 brand new cars, and incurred $0 in maintenance or repairs. That's $39,000 out of pocket.

Add to that the money you would have made investing that $50,000 in a safe market play and there's probably another $5,000 or $6,000 there as well.

We can go back and forth and around in circles on this all night, I've done it numerous times over the years, it always turns out the same way: within a variance of $1,000. And one has to ask oneself if for that small amount of money over such a long period of time it is worth staying in 1 old car rather than being in 3 brand-new ones. With today's BMWs featuring so many new technologies and drivetrains, the risk of out of warranty repairs goes way up compared to your older car as well.

BJ

Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
None of the options have good resale value -- but good luck finding a buyer with none of them. I've been out looking at used E60s, and I wouldn't consider buying one without nav -- and yet the resale on nav totally sucks. So go figure that logic, but it's true.
Agree

Like putting an aircond into the hosue, it won't add extra resale value, it will create extra interests when selling
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 02-06-2013, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
In an M3 the best option for resale value is no options. You save a ton of money and the car will be rare. The options depreciate in value
Much faster than the car. Loaded M 3s are a dime a dozen but no option cars rare. Strippers make better used cars since there is less to break and racers want them.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcruiser View Post
I think those are all fair points. But I don't understand why you picked seven years. Is that some sort of average? I generally expect to buy and keep a car for 10 years. Those last three years are when I've always assumed it finally became efficient to own. (I also think the mileage is a significant variable).
I picked 7 years because that is the tipping point at which keeping a car that long really starts to swing the pendulum towards buying versus leasing. But most people who buy get out of the car in the 4th year even though their intentions are to keep it much longer.

If you keep a car for 10 years that pendulum pushes more towards the owning side of course, but not only does mileage work against you then the variable of significant repairs really starts to add up- especially in a car as sophisticated as the new F30.

Please don't take offense to this because I do not mean it in a condescending way, but buying a $45,000 German luxury car and keeping it for 10 years is not a legitimate basis of comparison. Because, in truth, that $45,000 over 120 months is a $375 payment, that's Honda money. Generally speaking, someone who does this can't really afford a BMW. He's just running a 3 Series into the ground to make the math work over a long period of time as if he bought a new Accord.

You will respond saying that you can afford the $750 a month payment you would incur in those first five years. And then I will reply that you can also afford $500 a month to lease brand-new cars for the entire ten-year period.

And in the end, it's a difference of only $125 per month. And factor into that the out of warranty repairs, high mileage, and the misses in technology as well as the money you'd make investing the car cost and that variance whittles down to maybe only $40 a month. And so if God came down and told you you could be in 4 brand-new BMWs with no $0 of warranty repairs for the next 10 years for the cost a single decent dinner every month what would you do?

BJ

Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
3 pedals will have a limited but very fanatic market. Dealers will try to steal it on a trade (saying no one wants MT anymore) but in reality, there are enough enthusiasts out there who are scanning inventories and autotrader daily who are willing to pounce on the 3 pedal cars.
So true. Selling my MT 3 series car was easy because people who wanted them were willing to fly in for the car.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Said it before, will say it again, "Buying a car with resale value in mind is like screwing to get to the post coitus cuddle."

Buy what you want.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Said it before, will say it again, "Buying a car with resale value in mind is like screwing to get to the post coitus cuddle."

Buy what you want.
You really got a way with the words!!!!
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to mrbelk
Mein Auto: 07 335i/6sp
It may not affect resale _that_ much, but my we're in the market for a new vehicle for Mrs. MrBelk and she won't even consider a car that doesn't have bluetooth handsfree phone support.

-MrB
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/18/05) '05 X3 3.0 Blue Water/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige