Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
We've gone a little OT, but in the interests of completeness:

If you have BMW Assist, the built-in cell-phone and gps receiver in your car, along with the cellular phone system, figure out where you are to send the ambulance. (Kind of a problem if you drive out of the phone system's range.)
Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I don't know what that means because I've never lost a satellite connection, ever, unless I'm in the Lincoln Tunnel for over 30 minutes.

I believe you are confusing two things:

1. Satellite Connection. This is a free wireless service that connects to military satellites in the sky. Has been around for 15+ years. So long as you are not under the ground, you have a GPS connection. As relates to this conversation, the nav in your BMW and the nav in your, say, five year old Garmin Nuvi will work 100% of the time you are not buried under ground because they store all the map data on the device itself. All the device needs is a connection to the satellite network. The satellites are a clock, merely tell the device where you are. The Nuvi or the iDrive have gigs and gigs of data onboard, just need to sync to the GPS satellites in the sky.

2. Data Connection. This is a paid wireless service most commonly used to give you text messages and internet access. Has been around in a semi-decent way for only 5 years. These connections can be very dicey, if you're near MetLife stadium on a football Sunday you can't get any data at all in a one mile radius around the place, if you're in Manhattan and signals are reflected incorrectly off of building surfaces you lose data, if you're in a dead zone in Paramus you lose LTE and only get 2G EDGE, and so on. As relates to this conversation, to use Google maps, Apple maps, or any of the free iPhone apps, you MUST have a data connection because the map data and points of interest are NOT stored on the phone; they are streamed to the iPhone over your 3G or 4G or LTE data connection in realtime as you drive.

Satellite connectivity is the easy part. Very simple set of signals from space, been going on for 15+ years. Cellphone data connectivity is hit-or-miss, costs money. If I bring my 5 year old Nuvi to Florida next week, doesn't matter if AT&T has no coverage in the Everglades; I'm still going to get precise directions. If I leave that home and bring only my iPhone 5 using Google maps for navigation, I'll always have satellite connectivity but if I lose the AT&T data connection I'm screwed, the maps will stop drawing, I'll get lost in the Everglades, have to ask an alligator for directions.

BJ
I have perfect understanding of the difference you described, but thank you anyway. I agree with above. Only have one question.
Do you think the level of cell phone reliability in terms of stable conection as well as areas covered, available storage space and such, will be similar to the current in lets say 4 to 6 years? The reason i am syaing 4 to 6 is my quees an average person holds on to a car, since this is about resale value.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
I have perfect understanding of the difference you described, but thank you anyway. I agree with above. Only have one question.
Do you think the level of cell phone reliability in terms of stable conection as well as areas covered, available storage space and such, will be similar to the current in lets say 4 to 6 years? The reason i am syaing 4 to 6 is my quees an average person holds on to a car, since this is about resale value.
My opinion is that the networks will continue to get better and, yes, 6 years from now it'll be everywhere and much faster and much more reliable.

As far as phones themselves getting bigger drives and the ability to store gigs upon gigs more data, that is counter to what's going on with Cloud services, so I don't see onboard storage increasing but rather decreasing and the Cloud doing the heavy lifting.

But to best future-proof a 2013 car for resale in 2020 it's smart to overdo it on the technology options, especially Enhanced Bluetooth and USB. Those are the two dominant protocols now, best to get the ones that can do the most at present. The 2014 F30's are getting a brand new iDrive system that's more powerful, probably makes this discussion moot as anyone wanting a 6+ year old F30 in the future is going to not want to slide back past the 2014 model year for just that reason.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
But to best future-proof a 2013 car for resale in 2020 it's smart to overdo it on the technology options, especially Enhanced Bluetooth and USB. Those are the two dominant protocols now, best to get the ones that can do the most at present. The 2014 F30's are getting a brand new iDrive system that's more powerful, probably makes this discussion moot as anyone wanting a 6+ year old F30 in the future is going to not want to slide back past the 2014 model year for just that reason.
You can overdo it, but the options will still depreciate far more than the base car. The person looking at buying a 6+ year old 3 is not doing it for the options. He mainly wants the badge. He will sacrifice whatever it takes to get it.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:38 AM
Audi-Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
My opinion is that the networks will continue to get better and, yes, 6 years from now it'll be everywhere and much faster and much more reliable.

As far as phones themselves getting bigger drives and the ability to store gigs upon gigs more data, that is counter to what's going on with Cloud services, so I don't see onboard storage increasing but rather decreasing and the Cloud doing the heavy lifting.

BJ
+1

I'm a person who fully load up on options, not for resale in mind, but find in-car tech a huge factor in my purchase decision. The more "cool" gadgetry and technology in the vehicle, the more pleasant the environment becomes. This include options like navigation, premium sound, communications, device integration, etc. With that said, IMO in-car tech is the fastest way to make your car feel dated. When I had my 08 e92, the navigation instantly became dated when the next generation I-drive was introduced. Simply looking at the resolution of newer GPS units instantly make you feel that your car is no longer new. Technology in electronics evolve so quickly, it is probably the main reason why I never buy used. I can't see myself buying a used car with a pixelated 2D navigation system to remind me every day. Focus on generic technology like USB / iPod integration, bluetooth (if possible without Navi), and premium stereo (not some $6k B&O stereo - it may help sell as an attractive feature, but don't expect to recoup much of its value). I would personally focus on things that enhance the ride and handling of your car and convenience / comfort features like adjustable suspension, sport suspension, premium wheels, moonroof, premium stereo, auto dimming mirrors, winter package.

The best thing you can do is go to KBB and check and un-check options to see which bump up the value of used cars in the same class.

Retired: 2010 Audi B8 S4 [trade-in], 2008 E92 335i [lemon], 2007 E92 335i [totaled]
Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
+1

I'm a person who fully load up on options, not for resale in mind, but find in-car tech a huge factor in my purchase decision. The more "cool" gadgetry and technology in the vehicle, the more pleasant the environment becomes. This include options like navigation, premium sound, communications, device integration, etc.
This. I literally checked every option box on the ActiveHybrid. Well except that Parking Assist feature... I just couldn't bring myself to spend the $500 since I parallel park less than once a year.

However, I don't think it makes the car feel dated, 5 years down the road. Of course there will always be something newer. The outside of the car will look just as dated as the inside tech.

You're either a person that likes and appreciates the tech, or you don't. I can't get enough of it. I love the new Nav, HUD, auto-everything, cameras, etc. I don't even care how much it costs.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
This. I literally checked every option box on the ActiveHybrid. Well except that Parking Assist feature... I just couldn't bring myself to spend the $500 since I parallel park less than once a year.

However, I don't think it makes the car feel dated, 5 years down the road. Of course there will always be something newer. The outside of the car will look just as dated as the inside tech.

You're either a person that likes and appreciates the tech, or you don't. I can't get enough of it. I love the new Nav, HUD, auto-everything, cameras, etc. I don't even care how much it costs.
When considering a used car, I would bet over 90% has a budget number in mind. For example my Kid will say I want to buy a car and the first question I ask is, what can you afford? This is closely followed by what would you like to drive? So if they say I can afford $175 / month (figuring a $12-14K car) I then follow up with do they want a four year old Ford or an eight year old BMW? If they choose a BMW, I do not think that they say no way because it is older technology...just my thought.

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 02-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
When considering a used car, I would bet over 90% has a budget number in mind. For example my Kid will say I want to buy a car and the first question I ask is, what can you afford? This is closely followed by what would you like to drive? So if they say I can afford $175 / month (figuring a $12-14K car) I then follow up with do they want a four year old Ford or an eight year old BMW? If they choose a BMW, I do not think that they say no way because it is older technology...just my thought.
I think there's just as many people that would prefer an 8 year old BMW over any Ford
Old 02-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
I think there's just as many people that would prefer an 8 year old BMW over any Ford
Tough choice.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
I am not one of them.

Edit: I wasn't thinking about the E46 M3 so maybe I am one of them.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-14-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:45 PM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
also have to consider excise tax when leasing which (in mass anyway) is 50 dollars on the g. So for a 50,000 car, the first year you're paying 1250 excise tax

sure, you pay excise on a bought vehicle as well, but when you lease and get a new vehicle in 3 years, you pay the excise tax for the value on the new car, so you kind of take a hit there. it is however tax deductible.

Last edited by chris328; 02-14-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
+1

I'm a person who fully load up on options, not for resale in mind, but find in-car tech a huge factor in my purchase decision. The more "cool" gadgetry and technology in the vehicle, the more pleasant the environment becomes. This include options like navigation, premium sound, communications, device integration, etc. With that said, IMO in-car tech is the fastest way to make your car feel dated. When I had my 08 e92, the navigation instantly became dated when the next generation I-drive was introduced. Simply looking at the resolution of newer GPS units instantly make you feel that your car is no longer new. Technology in electronics evolve so quickly, it is probably the main reason why I never buy used. I can't see myself buying a used car with a pixelated 2D navigation system to remind me every day. Focus on generic technology like USB / iPod integration, bluetooth (if possible without Navi), and premium stereo (not some $6k B&O stereo - it may help sell as an attractive feature, but don't expect to recoup much of its value). I would personally focus on things that enhance the ride and handling of your car and convenience / comfort features like adjustable suspension, sport suspension, premium wheels, moonroof, premium stereo, auto dimming mirrors, winter package.

The best thing you can do is go to KBB and check and un-check options to see which bump up the value of used cars in the same class.
GREAT point. Something I hadn't even considered.

This is probably another point for leasing over buying as well. Try selling your car with outdated tech built in.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 02-15-2013, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
GREAT point. Something I hadn't even considered.

This is probably another point for leasing over buying as well. Try selling your car with outdated tech built in.
When I sold my old beater E39 the buyer explicitly asked for no NAV, so in my specific case the lack of tech closed the deal.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
anything chick's like...
Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
Someone is buying all those CPO cars and private sale used cars.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
BMW's have a greater value than $1,000 after 7 years. Our lowly VW Passat with 49,000 miles had a retail value of $9,800 after 10 years when my wife totalled it, 2 weeks ago. She was not hurt and this provided a reasonable down payment on the 2014 X3 28i that goes into production the week of April 1. Condition and mileage matter the most on a used car. Get what you like and can afford in a popular color.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired

Last edited by pharding; 02-17-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: YA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
You really got a way with the words!!!!
cheers
vern
You know my little friend, you can't copy/paste the same patronizing comment in every board you frequent, this makes you look like some kind of curse word police nutjob or simply a douche! Plus he was quite mild in his choice of words so GFY.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by suneil View Post
anything chick's like...
Heated seats can leave snail tracks.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: UDMs
Quote:
Yes, there we are in agreement.

If I could get Google Maps to appear on my big LCD in the middle of the F30 dash I'd be ecstatic. But, in the short term, having iDrive maps is fine enough for driving and traffic avoidance on the road and Google Maps is fine enough for walking directions and locating points of interest when I'm in a city. One is large for easy visibility at 80 mph, the other is small for detailed walks and POI's.

BJ
actually you can mirror a smartphone with HDMI output to the idrive using a Nav-Tv interface

scroll down to post 22

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=627706