Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 335i M Sp, 13 SubBRZ
New BMW Owner - 335i vs 550i

I'm getting rid of my beloved M273 engined Merc. I am looking for something lighter weight with better handling but still with a potent engine. There are no Mercs I like these days. And I test drove every Audi and liked them all, but didn't love any of them. Well except for the RS5 which is a total bad ass but I need 4 doors.

So I walked to the BMW store and test drove a 335i and a 550i. What is certain is that I'm getting one of these cars.

Which one? I had never driven a BMW before and was quite impressed with both.

I test drove the 335i first and had a **** eating grin on my face afterward. The 550i is the natural choice for replacing the E550. The engine is potent as hell. But it makes no sounds at all, at least not at 25-75% load. The car had more lag and you could tell it weighs 700+ pounds more.

I like the look of the 5 better and I like the interior and size of it. The nav screen is much nicer than the 3 and the center control panel is more elegant. But the car felt heavy and lumbering and didn't have enough "soul".

Now the 3 has soul in spades. It is roomy enough inside but it's smaller exterior styling leaves me wanting a bit.

Deal wise the 5 is better. Both cars are similarly optioned and sticker at $16K apart. I can get 6% off MSRP the 3 and 8.5% off MSRP on the 5.

I know this is a 3 board but any nuggets of wisdom from the group?
Ads by Google
Old 02-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Wait for the 5 series refresh to drop. BMW has re-worked the steering. It'll will have more of a 'connected' feel. The 3 LCI may get the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: F30 335i
I love my 335i. It's perfect for my needs. If the 4-series coupe was available, I'd have one.

That said, the 5-series start for me at 535i. A 550i is even better. But, the 5-series is a big car. It reminds me of the 735i my dad owned in the 80's. it's still a great car. The exhaust system is more conservative and the weight of the car smoothes out the road feedback. if you need a family-sized car, you will be happy with either. If you want more sportiness, consider the M5.

F30 335i
Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by everettpa1 View Post
But the car felt heavy and lumbering and didn't have enough "soul".

Now the 3 has soul in spades.
Look, you already have the handling champion (of which I'm truly jealous - no joking) in BRZ, why in the world would you get a compromised "jack of all trades, master of none" car when you can afford a full-blown luxo cruiser to compliment your bare-bone handler (and much better than F30 will ever even dream to be - or my E92 for that matter)?

I say this without sarcasm because I made same mistake almost 3 years ago. But I didn't have BRZ already, I wanted something to do both handling and nice daily driving at the same time. IT. DOESN'T. WORK.

Get F10 and enjoy it for what it is. When it starts to suck (which it will and pretty quickly), just jump in that BRZ and display ear-splitting grin on your face.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Now the 3 has soul in spades. It is roomy enough inside but it's smaller exterior styling leaves me wanting a bit.

Deal wise the 5 is better. Both cars are similarly optioned and sticker at $16K apart. I can get 6% off MSRP the 3 and 8.5% off MSRP on the 5.

I know this is a 3 board but any nuggets of wisdom from the group?
Are you considering the 3 M Sport? It has the same performance as a regular 335i, but the exterior styling is more aggressive and might inspire you more.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingers 335i View Post
I love my 335i. It's perfect for my needs. If the 4-series coupe was available, I'd have one.

That said, the 5-series start for me at 535i. A 550i is even better. But, the 5-series is a big car. It reminds me of the 735i my dad owned in the 80's. it's still a great car. The exhaust system is more conservative and the weight of the car smoothes out the road feedback. if you need a family-sized car, you will be happy with either. If you want more sportiness, consider the M5.
I need AWD and so the M3 and M5 are not feasible.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
Are you considering the 3 M Sport? It has the same performance as a regular 335i, but the exterior styling is more aggressive and might inspire you more.
The 335i I'm getting is the M Sport. It does look more aggressive.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Look, you already have the handling champion (of which I'm truly jealous - no joking) in BRZ, why in the world would you get a compromised "jack of all trades, master of none" car when you can afford a full-blown luxo cruiser to compliment your bare-bone handler (and much better than F30 will ever even dream to be - or my E92 for that matter)?

I say this without sarcasm because I made same mistake almost 3 years ago. But I didn't have BRZ already, I wanted something to do both handling and nice daily driving at the same time. IT. DOESN'T. WORK.

Get F10 and enjoy it for what it is. When it starts to suck (which it will and pretty quickly), just jump in that BRZ and display ear-splitting grin on your face.
I do love my BRZ and nothing handles like it in this price range. I am not trying to duplicate that in any car. But the BRZ has taught the beauty of low weight driving. You feel so much more connected to the road. I don't want that all the time and so I want my DD to be more comfortable and refined. The 3 series gives you the best of both worlds. It is spirited but refined.

The BRZ experience has made detest the big heavy cars with over electronically assisted everything and big HP engines with no soul.

Before the BRZ, I would have bought the 550i without a moment's thought. Now, I will wait until the Germans start making luxo cruisers that weigh much less than 2 tons and are much more engaging.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 PM

I decided and I'm buying the 335i. It has BSM, black interior, M Sport, Tech, Premium, Driver's Assist, HK, Sport Tranny, and Cold Package.

I pick it up tomorrow and will post pics.

Look forward to hanging out here with your Bimmer boys (and girls).
Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper
Congrats, jealous yours is coming in only a week
Old 02-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
I decided and I'm buying the 335i. It has BSM, black interior, M Sport, Tech, Premium, Driver's Assist, HK, Sport Tranny, and Cold Package.

Congrats! Welcome to the 'fest and to the dark side. Did you get xDrive/AWD?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:

let me know how they treat you and etc i maybe buying a bmw from them in a few months

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App