Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 330CI/Sport Pkg////M whls
Lightbulb M3 Comfort vs Audi S5

Hello All,

This is not a thread about which car is better.

A couple of months ago I was in a heavy dilemma between an E92/E93 335, M3 or an Audi S5.

I purchased the Audi S5. Although I love the car, and it does look absolutely gorgeous (Black exterior, white interior) there's just something missing for me, and there's always that conscience talking to myself like "hey buddy, why didn't you get the M3 and why did you let your wife influence your choice blablabla". That little daemon sitting on my shoulder you know.

I love my S5 but I've some sort of OCD about not being sure about it.

There's ONE THING however that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE is the comfort is when I do my long business trips on the road. The thing is just so enjoyable on the highway I feel like having a nap at 180 KM/h (I don't live in the USA or Canada, currently expatriated in Mexico for work).

Anyway, the M3 E93 I felt in love with is about 10K extra than what I paid for my S5.

So my question is, is the M3 Comfortable even tho it's more of a sport car and the S5 is more of a Grand Tourer... Can they compare in term of comfort?

Sorry for the wall of text about a simple question.

Edit PS: Yes I know the RS5 is more of a natural competitor to the M3, but I'm not interested in that car as I'm buying used 2009/2010 anyway.

Last edited by Brawndo QC; 01-10-2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Added a PS
Ads by Google
Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Mace

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
My M3 Vert is perfectly confortable on long trips and the adjustability of the suspension/power/steering and seating makes a big difference. Top down wind noise/buffeting is minimal which makes long top down drives great. Drove the entire Grossglockner in Apr '11 with the top down, beautiful! My brother has an S-5 so the comparison is easy. The S-5 interior is more "elegant" and the cabin is a bit bigger, especially the back seats, but I really don't find it more comfortable than my M3.

The only downside I have is tire noise. The M3 comes with three possible stock tires, Continentals, Michelin and Pirelli. I have the Pirelli P-Zeros and have a very loud rumble from the tires that started to get noticable about 15k miles. At 20k I'm about to replace the tires just because of the noise and would recommend avoiding the P-Zero's which happen to be one of the OEM tire options for the S5. If you're looking at a used M3 then I'd definently plan on replace the P-Zeros (if that's what it has) with Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

YESTERDAY: '08 335i Coupe, Space Gray, Coral Red, Gray Poplar, 6-MT, ED 10 May '08.
TODAY: '11 M3 Convertible, Mineral White, Fox Red, Extended Leather, Carbon Leather, 6-MT, 19" Style 220M Wheels, EDC, EPS, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW. ED 29 Apr '11. PCD Re-delivery July 27.

Last edited by Mace14; 01-10-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: '13 e92 M3 ZCP
I have a 2010 S5, and I still love it, but I have simply not been able to get the M3 out of my mind for about the past 6 months. So I just ordered myself one! I have talked to some folks who have assured me that the M3 is comfortable on a long-range cruise; however, I just don't see how it could be much better than the S5, in that regard. The S5 is a GREAT GT.

Unfortunately, I have never been able to take an M3 on an extended test drive. I tried this the last time, but apparently the dealership had lojack installed on it, and they frown on such things...hey, who knew?!

Seriously though, short term, the M seems much less, erm..."gentlemanly", or refined, maybe...? One word that keeps coming to mind when I think of the M3 is visceral. It's more raw. That doesn't mean it can't be comfortable on a long drive, though, and if the M does not make me want to claw my own eyeballs out after 50-100 miles or so, then I think I'm going to love it! At any rate, I'm going to roll those dice. Good luck to you as well, OP.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
I almost purchased a MY13 S5 coupe. The dealer provided me with both an S4 and S5 for an extended (24 hr) test drive. Very capable and impressive car. For me, it was comfortable. However, like blitzboy76, I just couldn't get the M3 out of my head. It was the added visceral experience with the induction and exhaust sound. Plus I preferred the seats vs. those found in the Audi. So yesterday I placed an order for a M3 coupe.

Either vehicle is a great buy but I strongly encourage you to take a extended test drive (i.e. greater than 10 miles) to determine which is better for you.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: e92 BMW M3
I had the same question, I decided for the e92 M3.
I also live in Mexico and I havenīt repented a bit. Iīve mede trips Monterrey-Mexico City and I have enjoyed every kilometer.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E82 & 2012 E93
I just bought a 13 E93 and have not take it for a long trip yet so far it's very comfy around town & freeway, one thing I like the most it's the sound of S65 engine when you hit the gas pedal it make you want to go real fast.
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
I've driven my '08 M3 from Ohio to Colorado and back multiple times (1400 miles each way) and the only complaint I had was that after awhile the seatbelt began to chaffe my neck and I had to adjust the seats a little. I've never driven an Audi but I definitely wouldn't pass on the M3 because your worried about being uncomfortable.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:43 AM

Mein Auto: 745 i
Both BMW and Audi are excellent cars. I personally enjoy my BMW 535 i better than the Audi A 4. I would recommend driving both for an extended period of time before deciding. Drive in traffic and on the interstate for more than miles to get a feel of the brake system and handling.