Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 6 Series Coupe
BMW 650 2008 - Battery Replacement Specs

Hi,

I am trying to change my 2008 BMW 650 battery but don't want to spend $600 at a BMW dealership to do so ($300 for battery + $300 for installation/reprogramming the car). Thus, I would like to use a third party installer (such as Advance Auto Parts) that could also reset the car as required after a battery instillation.

I was wondering if you could confirm what is the original specs of the OEM Exide battery that comes with the car: what is the CCA (850 or 900)? is it AGM? what is the reserve capacity?

To help anybody facing the same issue as mine (getting a cheaper replacement battery), I made the table below that compares between the only famous providers of battery and installation the specs and costs of compatible battery:

So far I believe I will go with the AutoCraft Gold AGM from Advance Auto Parts! Also for your information Mr Tire, Firestone and Sears do not provide compatible batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	650 battery.png
Views:	459
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	361080  

Last edited by afekhad; 02-06-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
Can you take a photograph of your original battery that is underneath the turnk mat? Try to capture the 11 digit part number on it. If it is black the battery is AGM, white is a "regular" battery.
Using the battery part number you will be able to determine the specification of the original battery.

Here is the list of batteries fitted to the 650:

http://bmw fans. info/parts/catalog/E63/Coupe/USA/650i-N62N/browse/vehicle_electrical_system/original_bmw_battery_filled/

(Remove the space between BMW & fans & also between the . & info)

It's either an Exide 110Ah, 850A or an AGM 90Ah, 900A.

Last edited by rebel.ranter; 02-06-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Give any auto parts dealer the group number of the battery, & they can match it. They may not stock the battery, but they can get it for you in 24 hours. I got my last one from O'Reillys, for 125.00. I buy quite a few parts from them, & negotiated the price down from list price. I would not worry if it is a lead cell or AGM style of battery. You will get a 3 year non prorated warranty, with the final 3 years prorated. BMW only give you 2 years total.

The battery must be registered to the car. None of the auto parts stores can do this. They will install the battery for free, but they can not register the battery to the car.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:44 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Standard vs AGM will be set when you register the battery. If you make a change from one to the other, you must get it registered soon. The car charges the two types differently. I had my battery replaced just before my warranty ran out. They put an 80AH 800A AGM battery in mine

I will go back to 90AH when this one goes.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 6 Series Coupe
Picture of the battery

@rebel.ranter
Here is the picture of my battery... the white one (so no AGM...)

And thanks to that picture, I confirm that it is time to change the battery (yellow sticker).

So would you recommend buying it with GetBMWparts and have it installed at a dealership?

Could I use another brand (like the one discussed in my table above), and have a reset of the car if it is not an AGM battery?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	538
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	361194  
Old 02-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Regional Sponsor

Mein Auto: X3
The car would only have to be programmed if you change from white battery to black AGM battery.... The only reason dealers started doing this is because the supplier for the white batteries couldn't keep up, the problem has been rectified for now (I work at a dealer).... So If you get this replacement done at the dealer, it may not be as expensive as you thought
Old 02-07-2013, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
Hey, as long as its a regular lead acid battery with a 110Ah 850A rating & you get it registered you'll be fine. A decent independent shop would be able to register it, using either DIS or Autologic.
If you deviate from the specification of the battery then the new spec has to be coded to the car too which is an small bit of extra work & might catch an independent shop out.