Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3
power window mechanism

My 1997 z3 power windows seized up,so I now have the door panel off and can see that someone has worked on the whole folding mechanism and has welded parts together .When the window is lowered it is binding and I can see were it is causing the metal to fatigue and is now cracking in another spot.I can weld it,but first have to get the mechanism out and see just what is making it bind.So does anyone know if or were there are step by step instructions on how to go about getting it all out.Any help appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 Coupe
This same thing happened to me. I attempted to weld it but because I'm an awful welder, I fixed nothing. I'm just not messing with it for now. I wouldn't recommend leaving it like that but I did just through the winter. On mine the only thing I really fixed was there was an alignment bolt on the botton of the door to make sure the window goes up and down straight, mine was gone. I think this is. what puts extra pressure on that welded bracket. Ill be subscribing because I also need to know how to do this. Sorry I'm not of any help. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Stig View Post
This same thing happened to me. I attempted to weld it but because I'm an awful welder, I fixed nothing. I'm just not messing with it for now. I wouldn't recommend leaving it like that but I did just through the winter. On mine the only thing I really fixed was there was an alignment bolt on the botton of the door to make sure the window goes up and down straight, mine was gone. I think this is. what puts extra pressure on that welded bracket. Ill be subscribing because I also need to know how to do this. Sorry I'm not of any help. Good luck!

Hi thanks for the support.I got it all apart now except I just can't figure out how to unplug the wire connection on the bottom part of the motor.I can't see anyway that it comes apart,tried squeezing ,pulling,prying,wiggling,yanking,swearing and sticking my tung over to the other side of my mouth and I'm stuck here,anyone ,any ideas or know how.Can't find anything on the forum that would say how it comes off.

Das Stig ,i'll let you know what I and how I did it after it's fixed.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 PM

yea! I got it unplugged.There is a little clip on the back side of the plug,that you can't see,but playing with it I heard it click when I squeezed and then it came apart.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:31 PM

Now my net question is has anyone else run into this.Is it worth welding it or going new.One picture of my problem plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	361100   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0451.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	361101   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0452.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	361102  
Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
Good job. perhaps it's binding on one of the window sliders. They are known to disintegrate over time.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:40 PM

Nice job! Mine is a little different becuase the bracket that broke on mine is the one that is welded to the crash support beam. The top of it just snapped off. Weird right? But there is a spacer in between the bracket and the peice of yours that broke. I tried to weld that spacer back on and when i was testing the window, I heard all my shotty welds cracking and falliong apart. I never took it all out of the door but in order to fix it i know i will. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Nice job! Mine is a little different becuase the bracket that broke on mine is the one that is welded to the crash support beam. The top of it just snapped off. Weird right? But there is a spacer in between the bracket and the peice of yours that broke. I tried to weld that spacer back on and when i was testing the window, I heard all my shotty welds cracking and falliong apart. I never took it all out of the door but in order to fix it i know i will. Thanks for the help!
Hi just finished up and put it all back together.and it works great now.I think you will have to take the whole mechanism out it wasn't to bad just time consuming.I followed the directions here for some then it was trial and error,not to many errors.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=58

I welded that spacer back in there,kind of a flimsy way to do it on BMW's part,bound to fail..Then I welded up the crack in the other part and it seems to work good now.The hardest part was getting the window glass back in and found it easier to put the side little triangle window in after the main one was in.
Now I have to do the other side ,don't know if it is the same problem or not.
Good luck and hope you get yours fixed soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	361262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	361263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	361264  
Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 PM

Nice job. That is exactly what happens to mine. I really want to get it fixed before windows down weather starts coming in. Thanks again, this is unbelievably helpful!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Nice job. That is exactly what happens to mine. I really want to get it fixed before windows down weather starts coming in. Thanks again, this is unbelievably helpful!
When you get to fixing it ,if you run into problems ,reply here and I'll help if I can.