Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Vermillion Red
End of lease insurance and Tire insurance? Rip off?

I was in middle of car lease deal when they throw these two insurances at me.. raising the monthly quite a bit.

I know they have to be making money off these (duh) but have people found they good or rip off?

Dealer told me driver average 6-7 ruined tires over 3 year lease. This sound outrageous but maybe since I have no experience with RFT. The price was $1600 for three years. I figure you have to pop over 4 tires to make it pay off.

The end of lease insurance was $1400. I'm wondering how much damage is needed to make this a good deal.

Any input appreciated. (the thought that maybe this brand isnt right for me did cross my mind)

Almost at the finish line.. who knew it'd be this much work!?
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
I have 60,000 miles on mine. Zero ruined tires. Six to seven ruined tires over three years (which would mean like two blowouts a year) is beyond ridiculous.

If it were me, I'd say no to both.

A few years back I took my younger sister to an Acura dealer to buy a vehicle. We negotiated the deal, and I left her there. She called me about five minutes later to tell me about all these various add-ons and insurance
deals the finance manager was trying to pressure her into buying. I asked her to hand the phone to the guy, and then I informed him that if he pulled any crap at all with her that I would be waiting for him in the parking lot after work.
The deal went pretty smoothly after that.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
I've trashed like 4 tires in my life... maybe the average driver sucks? I'd say screw the insurance, but that's me! Unless you hit curbs a lot, or have a track record of damaging tires, I would not go for it. As you said, they sell insurance to make money... if it worked out in the favor of "average driver", they wouldn't sell it.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i
Two years, 20k miles, original tires. Methinks your dealer doth exaggerate slightly.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i 2013
It depends where you drive. I have a E350 with AMG low profile. I had popped 3 in one shot driving on BQE In NYC. Total 9 in three years. I did not get the insurance thinking the same how many will I pop. I realized I should have taken the insurance as one of my rims also cracked. This time I took the insurance for my x5 I know these tires are huge and not low profile but just wanted to be safe after popping so many. It was just 1500 for five years and covers cracked rims too. Not bad even if you loose one every year for a RFT.

X5 2013 Black/Cinnmon 3row,cold weather,technology.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggBrent View Post
I was in middle of car lease deal when they throw these two insurances at me.. raising the monthly quite a bit.

I know they have to be making money off these (duh) but have people found they good or rip off?

Dealer told me driver average 6-7 ruined tires over 3 year lease. This sound outrageous but maybe since I have no experience with RFT. The price was $1600 for three years. I figure you have to pop over 4 tires to make it pay off.

The end of lease insurance was $1400. I'm wondering how much damage is needed to make this a good deal.

Any input appreciated. (the thought that maybe this brand isnt right for me did cross my mind)

Driving in NYC I could see how one can go through so many tires. A winter a few years ago cost me 5 tires in two months alone.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:

I am also in NYC and have destroyed 8 tires and 5 rims. To be fair I was planning on replacing all 4 tires last summer at 40,000 when the car failed NYS inspection because 3 of the tires had tears in the sidewalls. I was also told that 3 of the rims were bent so I replaced all four, had the originals refurbished and put them in storage. I have a 2007 335i Cabrio with sport suspension and 18" non-RFT tires. I have only had one total failure that required a tow.

With all due respect to some of the other posters here the opinion of anyone who does not drive in NYC is irrelevant.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-06-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
CA is right, NYC is its own animal.

We purchased the tire/wheel insurance and had the presence of mind to cancel it, 2-3 months into the deal. To date, in 2.5 years of ownership, we've had to change 1 tire due to a nail in the side wall. The dealer couldn't plug the tire....

To be fare, we have taken the 3 to NYC but always drive in a "minefield" mode, it's quite engaging and almost fun!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 AM

Where to find Tire insurance?

I feel the dealer is too high ($1000 for 24 month lease)

Are there 3rd party policies out there and how would I find them?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
It all depends on the policy and verbiage. First you won't get anything on normal wear and tear - just won't happen. Second, when something does happen they may try and wriggle out of it. They may claim if it's a pothole, not their fault...road rash, not their fault. Tire has only 5000 miles left on it...well you get a prorated (read REDUCED) amount back.

Personally, I buy my tires from TireRack (so do others). I get the Pirelli P-zero nero run flat at $160/tire. Let's say that's $200 with install. So I would have to replace a 8 tires to get to 1600. BUT, you still have to factor in, my 1600 goes towards normal wear and tear, which the insurance won't - and yes you will have to replace tires normally. So you have $1,600 insurance IF something happens to your tires and IF they qualify for replacement. Then you have to add money for normal wear and tear. THen you have to add money for what the insurance won't cover.

Now if you go to the dealership to change your tires, and they charge $500/tire that's a different story. But the real question, WHY THE F ARE YOU DOING THAT!?!?!?

Some people will love it, saying it's saved them from replacing 10 tires over one year. Those folks are the exceptions and you gotta ask - where is someone driving that they have 10 tire accidents in a 3-6 year period.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post

With all due respect to some of the other posters here the opinion of anyone who does not drive in NYC is irrelevant.

CA
Come to Philly. I'll show you irrelevant.

Now get back to work slacker!

Regards,
Ur Supervisor!

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 AM

Thanks Furby. If I'm leasing do I have to have the dealership replace bad tires or can I go anywhere? I'll check tire rack on how much the standard tire runs that come with my car

Last edited by GreggBrent; 02-07-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Princeton

Mein Auto: 2008 335cxi
Keep in mind that RFTs are usually only readily available at the dealer. That is to say, the local tire dealers probably do not stock them. That was a factor in my decision to replace the RFTs with go-flats when they wore out on my car.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
Keep in mind that RFTs are usually only readily available at the dealer. That is to say, the local tire dealers probably do not stock them. That was a factor in my decision to replace the RFTs with go-flats when they wore out on my car.
I was unable to find anyone that had non RFTs (or rfts) for my 328i when I blew a tire. I called every shop within 20 miles, I ended up ordering them. I guess it depends on where you are, but here 255/40/r17 was impossible to find
Old 02-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
It all depends on the policy and verbiage. First you won't get anything on normal wear and tear - just won't happen. Second, when something does happen they may try and wriggle out of it. They may claim if it's a pothole, not their fault...road rash, not their fault. Tire has only 5000 miles left on it...well you get a prorated (read REDUCED) amount back.

Personally, I buy my tires from TireRack (so do others). I get the Pirelli P-zero nero run flat at $160/tire. Let's say that's $200 with install. So I would have to replace a 8 tires to get to 1600. BUT, you still have to factor in, my 1600 goes towards normal wear and tear, which the insurance won't - and yes you will have to replace tires normally. So you have $1,600 insurance IF something happens to your tires and IF they qualify for replacement. Then you have to add money for normal wear and tear. THen you have to add money for what the insurance won't cover.

Now if you go to the dealership to change your tires, and they charge $500/tire that's a different story. But the real question, WHY THE F ARE YOU DOING THAT!?!?!?

Some people will love it, saying it's saved them from replacing 10 tires over one year. Those folks are the exceptions and you gotta ask - where is someone driving that they have 10 tire accidents in a 3-6 year period.
When I had a microbubble on one of the tires I only heard static from my local dealer who I didn't purchase/lease the car+tire&wheel insurance from - went to my dealer and had the tire replaced no questions asked.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 AM

Another day in paradise,

Quote:

Some people will love it, saying it's saved them from replacing 10 tires over one year. Those folks are the exceptions and you gotta ask - where is someone driving that they have 10 tire accidents in a 3-6 year period?
@ Furby:
I'm on my break.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Thanks Furby. If I'm leasing do I have to have the dealership replace bad tires or can I go anywhere? I'll check tire rack on how much the standard tire runs that come with my car
Absolutely not. You are allowed to get your car serviced wherever you want. Just make sure it's a reputable place. It doesn't have to be the same tires, just same quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
I order them and keep spare ones in my basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
When I had a microbubble on one of the tires I only heard static from my local dealer who I didn't purchase/lease the car+tire&wheel insurance from - went to my dealer and had the tire replaced no questions asked.
I've heard good stories, and bad stories. For $1,600 I will get my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
@ Furby:
I'm on my break.
Looks like one of your Photoshopped works of art. I can't find it now, but I am sure a goat is located there

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-07-2013, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
ask the dealer if that includes burn outs and smoking the rubber off the tires too?

In NC if you damage a tire because of a big pot hole in the road you can file a complaint and make the state pay for the repair, since its their responsibility to keep the roads in good repair, thats what road use tax on gas is for, right? Every time you bust a tire you should go by the guys house thats incharge of state roads and slice their tires

Hondo
Old 02-07-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Looks like one of your Photoshopped works of art. I can't find it now, but I am sure a goat is located there

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 02-07-2013, 02:09 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
19" & bad roads are a good reason to get it.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:

What size rims are we talking?? Just be a better driver and keep your eyes on the bad/Pot holed avenues and don't worry about it that's what I refer to as BMW's get out of jail free card. Back in 2010 it was offered to me at about six hundred and I passed now it's sixteen hundred!! Another Insurance scam..Screw em.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
ask the dealer if that includes burn outs and smoking the rubber off the tires too?

In NC if you damage a tire because of a big pot hole in the road you can file a complaint and make the state pay for the repair, since its their responsibility to keep the roads in good repair, thats what road use tax on gas is for, right? Every time you bust a tire you should go by the guys house thats incharge of state roads and slice their tires

Hondo
NYS has the same provisions regarding the bad road conditions and damage to your car. However, the officials made it so confusing and complicated to cover the damage it most of the time becomes a major hustle to file a complain with DOT, let alone get your money back for the repairs of your damaged parts.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Thanks for input. The tires on car are the base 17" wheels, all season tires. I'm now inclined to not take insurance and hope for the best. I did look up TireRack prices and it seems the replacement tire is $200. Figuring one would have 50 or so miles on the damaged RFT, you could easily order replacement online and have it put on at say Sears for under $100...bringing replacement tire to $300. Kind of a hassle but being charged anywhere from 400-600 for tire replacement at dealer seems crazy. And hopefully this wouldn't come to be.

As far as the SafeLease, end of term lease insurance is another decision. I was told by friends if you plan on leasing another BMW they usually let you slide on dings, etc. But it you're ending the relationship they really try and hit ya hard. Difficult for me to know. I might skip this one too and just try and be careful and not ding up the car.

Has anyone had experience fixing up dings/dents etc by a shop for cheap before bringing in car at lease end? Do they notice etc?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
38,000 miles on my original tires and no blow outs. I work in Philly and the excellent handling of my BMW has allowed my to avoid pot holes.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 02-08-2013, 02:30 AM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I have 60,000 miles on mine. Zero ruined tires. Six to seven ruined tires over three years (which would mean like two blowouts a year) is beyond ridiculous.

If it were me, I'd say no to both.

A few years back I took my younger sister to an Acura dealer to buy a vehicle. We negotiated the deal, and I left her there. She called me about five minutes later to tell me about all these various add-ons and insurance
deals the finance manager was trying to pressure her into buying. I asked her to hand the phone to the guy, and then I informed him that if he pulled any crap at all with her that I would be waiting for him in the parking lot after work.
The deal went pretty smoothly after that.
I take it you don't live anywhere near NYC and our world class roads and streets?