Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
2011 535 xi DriveTrain Malfunction

I recently (Jan 2013) had a 'drive train malfunction' pop up as I was driving and less than ten minutes later, the car's engine completely cut off. I was unable to start the car after that and had to tow it to my service center. Now its been over a month and the car is still not ready. The service guys completely took apart the engine to figure out the problem. I'm getting a new VANOS, cylinders, pistons etc. I own the car and my car's warranty is close to expiring. I'm sure there will be some kind of problems in the future. I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem and was there any kind of warranty given by BMW.

On a side note, I took my car last July (2012) for regular scheduled maintenance and within two months in Spetember 2012, I had errors pop for 'vehicle check' and 'engine oil service overdue'. I took my car to the service center and was told 'some fluid might have been topped off' which they took care off. Three months later, I had the drive train malfunction error.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 m5
Contact BMWNA and request lemon law buy back. From what I understand one of the qualifiers for lemon law is being in the shop for greater than 30 consecutive days. (I had two BMWs bought back under lemon law guidelines without any pushback from BMW) I would not want this car after such extensive service. Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix M-sport
This seems somewhat unique. Haven't seen many post about this except with 550s with tunes I believe. I don't believe those repairs were this extensive however.

I had a similar dealer issue with power steering on a Benz. Took it in for service, they replaced the power steering reservoir due to a leak, two months later the steering went. The entire rack needed replaced. Luckily it was verified that they never replaced the steering fluid following the repair, so they covered the cost.
From now on I look the car over prior to and following a maintenance service to the best of my ability. One reason i hate the no dipstick. I guess I'm saying one possibility is this was dealer caused during the regular service (maint. error). This would be impossible to prove at this point. The error on my benz was determined by a 2nd party before we returned it to the dealer. On a positive note, it's been about 2 yrs with no additional issues with the Benz, so it's not the end of the world. I would, however, get rid of the car if another related issue arises. If your keeping it, I would definitely extend the warranty.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Sorry to hear this.

When did you buy the car and how many miles are on it?

If less than one year left on the factory warranty, I imagine the work will be warrantied for one year.

If you no longer qualify for lemon law relief or if BMW refuses to repurchase the car (highly likely if you own your car, the asses), demand the best possible factory extended warranty plus one month's payments, if you finance.

Short story: A friend had an Audi A4 many years ago. The engine ceased and was replaced under warranty. Luckily there were no significant issues with the car for many years thereafter, until he rear-ended an SUV when the SUV stopped short at an intersection with a red light camera; not pretty, but no injuries.

Nevertheless, his engine was 'replaced', while yours sounds like it's being 'rebuilt' on the dealer floor...

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by dbs600; 02-06-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.

I purchased the car in Oct 2010 and had 49.3K miles on it when I had this problem. I def dodged a bullet there. I'm hoping BMW buys back the car because this car is clearly damaged. I think my service center had a lot to do with my car's problem. They are not very competent.

I looked up the lemon law and it states the car has to be in the service center for more than 30 business days. My car broke down on Jan 7th 2013 and its been over a month. I got a call from my service advisor and they're working out the kinks and my car should be ready at any moment. Should I wait and resolve this issue with BMWNA before I pick up my car? Again any feedback is appreciated.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:01 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
30 business days is going to be six weeks, so the vehicle needs to be in the shop for a bit longer to qualify according to that criteria.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
NylesP, you might want to look into Illinois' new car lemon law. I know in MA, the new car lemon law is only for the first year after the purchase.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
In your state, you have to bring a lemon law claim within 18 months of delivery, which would have been March 2012 in your case; so you're in a murky position. The best you might be able to do is to plead for sympathy w/r/t repurchase; sorry. I suppose you can contact BMWNA before picking up your car. Let us know what they say.

http://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Doc...-LLaddinfo.pdf

Last edited by dbs600; 02-07-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:45 PM

I figured the lemon law might not apply to my situation but say if BMW did agree to buy back the car. How do they determine the value of the car? Do they take into consideration the problems my car is having and then determine the value? I also financed the car and will BMW just forgive me for what's remaining on the car? This was my first time ever purchasing a BMW car and its been a truly learning experience.

Last edited by NylesP; 02-13-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 AM

I got my car back finally after more than a month. Not really happy with the way I was treated by the service center and BMWNA. Bascially one of the screws thats holds the VANOS unit to the engine broke off causing the whole engine assembly to become unstable and hence my car's problems. All this time while my car was at the service center, my service advisor kept telling me they had to take apart the engine parts to figure out what the problem was but he never told me it was the screw that caused the problem. I found this out from the manager on the day I picked up my car after it was fixed. I've been in contact with BMWNA and they're pretty much in damage control. Any ideas on what kind of compensation to ask for? Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 AM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by NylesP View Post
I got my car back finally after more than a month. Not really happy with the way I was treated by the service center and BMWNA. Bascially one of the screws thats holds the VANOS unit to the engine broke off causing the whole engine assembly to become unstable and hence my car's problems. All this time while my car was at the service center, my service advisor kept telling me they had to take apart the engine parts to figure out what the problem was but he never told me it was the screw that caused the problem. I found this out from the manager on the day I picked up my car after it was fixed. I've been in contact with BMWNA and they're pretty much in damage control. Any ideas on what kind of compensation to ask for? Thanks
I would demand what dbs600 suggested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
If you no longer qualify for lemon law relief or if BMW refuses to repurchase the car (highly likely if you own your car, the asses), demand the best possible factory extended warranty plus one month's payments, if you finance.