Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
Picked up BM Technic Diagnostic Cable and software

Since I plan on keeping my 6er for a very long time (probably forever) I decided to get me some diagnostic cables and software just to help when I do have issues in the future.

Another forum member (rebel.ranter) suggested I try the BM Technic Diagnostic Cable and the software that comes with it. Seeing all the problems people have installing those programs and realizing my.....ummm....lack of appropriate computer knowledge I decided it was my best option.

Here is what you get along with the cable.....

All of this for...what cost me $58 and it truly is a click and install process. No fiddling with registries or command line prompts just click and wait.

With the minimal requirements for operating this hardware/software I found an old Atom powered netbook my daughter had long since abandoned and hooked up an external DVD drive and i was off to the races.

Here are some shots of the install process...

Literally 8 minutes later or roughly the time it took me to tell my 2 year old daughter that throwing her crayons at the TV was not nice....and the cable was recognized and installed.

I won't post all of the loading screens but 2 hours later and everything was installed on the laptop and I'mm ready to screw up my ECU.....Woo Hoo

I don't know if there is a better package online somewhere but this just seems like the steal of the century. Especially for anyone doing DIYs or wanting to do the random programing or whatever. They have a forum for help and the guys are extremely nice and helpful. I can't wait to hook it up and see what I can do.

P.S. I'm doing this right now

Old 02-07-2013, 03:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
Best of luck with the set up! With a bit of research you should be able to do all the diagnostics & coding you need. To start off with have a read of these guides:

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/show...98&postcount=1
Old 02-07-2013, 03:57 AM

Once you have graduated on from doing competent diagnostics with DIS (& INPA) you should then start to look at coding using NCS expert. Attached are all the best step by step guides for learning how to do coding via NCS Expert.

I also recommend that you download NCS Dummy, just google it & you'll be brought to a post on a rival bmw forum which is written & regularly updated by the creator of NCS Dummy, the user is "revtor". NCS Dummy is an excellent tool, what it does is translate the FSW_PSW.TRC trace files from the various modules from German to English, it also shows the various settings for each parameter in each module. When you read the guides attached you will soon realise where the FSW_PSW.TRC files come from & how you get them.

Finally, you should always remember that our 6 Series (e63/e64) is really just a fancy 5 Series (e60/e61). So from a coding point of view the 6 Series is really an e60. One of the benefits of this is there is far more support/interest in e60 coding than e63/e64. You can therefore use all the e60 info & resources out there for coding. For example there is a shared GoogleDocs spreadsheet out there in the ethers that lits all the most popular coding changes for the e60, which as I mentioned are equally compatible with the e63/e64.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NCS_DIY for E63_E64.pdf (1.88 MB, 764 views)
File Type: pdf NCS_Changing_the_Vehicle_Order_CAS.pdf (1.56 MB, 1137 views)
File Type: pdf NCS_DIY.pdf (1.80 MB, 668 views)
File Type: pdf NCS Expertmode coding - default a module.pdf (773.7 KB, 689 views)
Old 02-07-2013, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Coding is beyond my interest or capabilities - but witness the power of our great forum!!

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
Coding is beyond my interest or capabilities - but witness the power of our great forum!!
The diagnostics are worth investigating though? Even if you don't do any work on your own car at least you can do a little investigating before you send it in to get work done?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Yes - valid point... a more-informed "buyer" of repair services will likely result in making better decisions. I've been a little spoiled b/c I still have both CPO and free extended maintenance on my six for another 9 months. After that I will need to get up to speed.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 02-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
Once you have graduated on from doing competent diagnostics with DIS (& INPA) you should then start to look at coding using NCS expert. Attached are all the best step by step guides for learning how to do coding via NCS Expert.

I also recommend that you download NCS Dummy, just google it & you'll be brought to a post on a rival bmw forum which is written & regularly updated by the creator of NCS Dummy, the user is "revtor". NCS Dummy is an excellent tool, what it does is translate the FSW_PSW.TRC trace files from the various modules from German to English, it also shows the various settings for each parameter in each module. When you read the guides attached you will soon realise where the FSW_PSW.TRC files come from & how you get them.

Finally, you should always remember that our 6 Series (e63/e64) is really just a fancy 5 Series (e60/e61). So from a coding point of view the 6 Series is really an e60. One of the benefits of this is there is far more support/interest in e60 coding than e63/e64. You can therefore use all the e60 info & resources out there for coding. For example there is a shared GoogleDocs spreadsheet out there in the ethers that lits all the most popular coding changes for the e60, which as I mentioned are equally compatible with the e63/e64.

Enjoy!

Woo Hoo thanks for all those links.

The only issue I have had so far is VMware player doesn't like this little laptop I dug up. Gonna install everything on a more "capable" laptop. I have a few sittin' around. I'll make a thread or just update in this one as I try to learn more about these programs.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Well the issue is resolved. I went to the forums for BM Technic and found that the resolution for the laptop was set too Low and that was the issue with VMware. Gotta love the internet.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: '04 645cic '00 740i Sport
I received my set and went through the installation process. When I fired up DIS BMTechnic software returned the message "Communications between the operating unit and diagnostics head is impaired. Error number 200.159" Has anyone had that error and if so what was the remedy? I have a blue light on the diagnostic head and the USB port recognizes the cable during detection and installation. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:25 PM

Hi Slemmer, turn off your Firewall, that is what is driving 299.159. You can ask Chris at BMTechnic but he will tell you the samething.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:40 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
Gonna install everything on a more "capable" laptop. I have a few sittin' around.
I bought a used IBM laptop on eBay that I could dedicate to the car for a coupe of C notes.
Its only for coding, no internet or anything so no worries for viruses....

It makes things easier...

The coding is actually not hard at all... Just a little intimidating because you don't want to screw up the car at first... After the first two, you get a lot bolder...

Plenty of help here when you need it.

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades

Last edited by coug60; 05-24-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: '04 645cic '00 740i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
Hi Slemmer, turn off your Firewall, that is what is driving 299.159. You can ask Chris at BMTechnic but he will tell you the samething.
That was it. I completely forgot about that. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:15 AM
drbbop

Mein Auto: 2006 650i Vert
Ordered a kit from BT, but trying to figure out what laptop to get. Seems like the one BT says to use is hard and expensive to come by. Can I use one with less HD than what they way?
Old 05-25-2013, 08:12 AM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbop View Post
Ordered a kit from BT, but trying to figure out what laptop to get. Seems like the one BT says to use is hard and expensive to come by. Can I use one with less HD than what they way?
I baught an old IBM Think Pad on Ebay for less then $200
(LENOVO IBM T61 THINKPAD LAPTOP XP DVD DUAL CORE 2.0GHZ)... works fine...

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades

Last edited by coug60; 05-25-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbop View Post
You don't really need to install TIS or SSS if you want to have a very minimal install for diagnostics.
TIS is the "how to" guides, it contains step by step instuctions for removing the smallest piece of trim to guides on the most complex jobs you can do on our cars.
SSS/Progman is a waste of space & time without the genuine BMW interface, if you want to do coding just stick with NCS Expert.
What about just buy a replacement (larger) hard disc for your existing machine, maybe upgrade the RAM too. Just verify what maximum values of hard disk size & RAM size that your machine takes.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:04 AM
V-8 Driver

Mein Auto: 2007 650i 6MT
Royal Air Mail

My kit w USB stick is on the way. I sprung for the 20-pin adapter for the older cars as well, why not, same cable for my 2007. As for an old laptop, I looked on eBay, Amazon, etc. and I circled back to a local place that does internet and shipping orders as well. Google "Offleaseavenue.com" and you should find them in Blue Ash, OH. These guys are at the "Compucom" facility here - the vendors who come out and supply IT hardware for various companies. The offleaseavenue is their way to check out and re-sell gear that comes back to them after being used 2 or 3 years in the office... I paid under $200 for a Dell E6400 laptop with a Core Duo processor - plenty for us. It had more than the specs called out: I got a 150G hard drive (80G was spec'd) and it has bluetooth/wi-fi on a card inside. Took just a Dell driver download to have that work. Granted, it's just the cable hookup we need for coding a BMW, but I also want to use it for updating firmware on late-model Alpine and Pioneer head units in my other cars. ...and, wouldn't a full bluetooth setup allow music streaming into a later BMW - or into a CIC/COMBOX rig if I go that route for my 2007?

djcwardog

2007 650i 0440/LCGE, 6MT, Sport, Nav, HUD, NiVi (w pin swap in CIC), L7, HD Radio (now from CIC), SiriusXM. Coding: lawyer screen (CIC), Halogen DRLs on with high beams (LMA), fan speed LED seen on "auto" (with an LCI-IHKA), turn signals in HUD (CIC), personalized car ID for BT etc... Complete: CIC retrofit>E90.SSD >E90-E60 merged CIC.trc >coded for Combox. To do: ICOM/WinKFP >CIC (63, 62, A0) >v41 >complete 6NR/6NF coding.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:19 AM

Hi djcwardog, what is the build date of your 2007 car? Cars with a build date after 03/2007 require the DCAN cable (white cable), the DCAN bus is a new communication bus implemented in 2007. It is a faster system than the older K Bus.

With regards to the round 20 pin adapter, this will only work on OBD cars like early e39 & e46 models that don't have the OBD2 connector in the car cabin. It will not work on the e36 3 Series, e34 5 Series or e31 8 Series era of cars. Even though the physical connector looks the same these older cars use the ADS protocol. You need an ADS capable interface to diagnose/code these cars. You also need to modify the software set up slightly (easy) & lastly you need a laptop with a proper serial port to use an ADS interface.
Just thought you might like to know.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:46 AM
V-8 Driver

09/2006 Build Date

If my car is K-bus, I just use the black cable and NCExpert, correct? What if I end up swapping in a later CIC? Would that mean I am in the DCAN world (and need the white cable), or would the K bus and black cable still serve and allow me to code CIC/COMBOX, BMWApps, etc?

djcwardog

2007 650i 0440/LCGE, 6MT, Sport, Nav, HUD, NiVi (w pin swap in CIC), L7, HD Radio (now from CIC), SiriusXM. Coding: lawyer screen (CIC), Halogen DRLs on with high beams (LMA), fan speed LED seen on "auto" (with an LCI-IHKA), turn signals in HUD (CIC), personalized car ID for BT etc... Complete: CIC retrofit>E90.SSD >E90-E60 merged CIC.trc >coded for Combox. To do: ICOM/WinKFP >CIC (63, 62, A0) >v41 >complete 6NR/6NF coding.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 AM

The black cable will allow you to use all the software on BMWs built pre-2007. If the build date is later than 03/2007 you will not be able to access some of the modules.
The white cable can also do pre-2007 cars, if you run a little DCAN.exe utility you can toggle between K & D CAN functionality. BMTechnic don't advertise it this way but it is possible, I use the white BMTechnic cable on my 09/2005 build 6 Series & if I need to plug in to a friend's 2008 car (for example) I simply run the utility.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:41 PM
V-8 Driver

Got mine quickly

Ordered 5/24, in hand 6/3, from UK to USA, not bad! I got the USB stick and the software plus black cable (drivers) are installed on my lap top. Now to hook it to the car, but that will have to wait a couple weeks.

Having read the get started posts, I think I will learn how to get the car read first, then see about a few simple coding upgrades such as turning off the nanny screens at startup, etc.

Thanks for the encouragement to advance my car hobby into computer coding!

djcwardog

Old 06-23-2013, 06:03 PM
V-8 Driver

Started to use NCE and the BMTechnic Cable - Daunting!

I have had the car here a week so now could try this out. Two issues - car won't sync fully w my Blackberry Bold 9900 and I want to get my new Dension 500SBT installed and recognized. Car does not have the CD Changer or Prep. Is there a way to update the Bluetooth module (car built 9/2006) to recognize the newer phones? As best as I can tell my Progman reads out as version 26, but I could be reading the wrong info?
As for the Dension, I found a MOST loop in a pull-down flap in glove box. I also have the OEM cable that hooks to back of CCC and runs to glove box, if I must do that...Would prefer to not pull console and dash apart. I can try the BT from it and turn off the factory BT in iDrive, yes?
Help?

djcwardog

Old 06-24-2013, 04:34 AM
V-8 Driver

TIS is our Friend

I used the TIS from BMTechnic's app loader and found the instructions for pulling the CCC out. Much simpler than on a 550i of similar vintage where I had to get the console trim out first, then the center dash. With the 650i, it looks like I use a thin plastic tool (car stereo stuff!) to pry up on the bottom of the red triangle emergency flasher button, remove that to find one hidden screw underneth, unscrew that, then pull center vent piece out. The next illustration shows 4 screws coming out aroud the face of the CCC, then, pull out carefully... No mention of the trim around the face of the CCC as installed, so I assume that once the center trim is out, the trim just below it pivots out for easy removal, revelaing the 4 screws, etc...
If it really is that simple, then I will use my OEM cable to provide my own "CD Prep." Yes, on my earlier 2007 550i, the dealer used the OEM iPod retrofit kit for cars without CDC or CD Prep to add the iPod to that car. They then gave me the box with the spare parts not needed (that car had CD Prep). Good thing now that I saved that stuff!
By the way, with TIS, I basically have an electronic aid like a Bentley manual would be in paper if they ever chose to print one for our cars. I even figured out how to use the "bookmark" feature to save several other interesting pages - such as fluids info for trans and rear end... I found two quarts of Amsoil 75W-90 full synthetic out in my garage - dare I use those for a drain and refill of the rear end differential?
To recap, sometimes, a bound paper volume is preferred for looking things up, I know, old school! At least I have the Bentley manual for E60, 2004-2010 to use for the systems in common.

djcwardog

Old 06-24-2013, 11:17 AM

The coding you need to do to get the Dension to work is:

1. Modify the VO in the process document I provided a link to in the coding thread. Add the following items:
- +KMP3
- +IPOD

Then use the job "FA_WRITE" to write this modified VO to the CAS & LMA modules

2. Default code the following 5 modules using the "Default coding a module" process that I also provided a link to in the coding thread.
- CAPPL
- CAUD
- CTUNE
- CHOST
- C... (Can't remember the last one but it begins with C!)

3. Disconnect the battery for 20 minutes & reconnect.

Job done!

DO NOT USE PROGMAN TO UPDATE YOUR CAR! You'll almost certainly brick a few modules. You need a proper power supply for a start, something that delivers 50-60A of output. Also some of the modules can only be updated using a MOST interface, which you don't have.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 PM
V-8 Driver

Awesome help!

Rebel Ranter,
Your detailed help is much appreciated! I got the hardware installed tonight and it all powers up with stereo working as before. Dension not yet coded, that's for tomorrow after work perhaps. I used my OEM cable as described above and ran it over to the glovebox. I then used one of the Dension adapter plugs that accepted the OEM fiber cable and their wire taps to splice into the power and ground wires that are wrapped in that OEM cable sheath.
Really, the dash work was easy but I offer a couple things beyond the Tis info. After you pop out the door lock/emergency flasher, you see a Torx screw at bottom of the opening. Unscrew that and you can pull out the center vent. Here is what they leave out - the double slot trim just below has a Phillips screw at each upper corner. Unscrew those then carefully pry out the trim piece that is held in by two metal spring clips an inch inward along the bottom. Be sure you have a piece of foam or thin bubble wrap already in place over the console trim and ash tray door. Now the Tis info tells you the rest, 4 Phillips screws at corners of CCC and it slides out to rest on your foam pad. Another tip is to pull the black plastic lower right trim piece with 12v lighter plug and foot lamp. 4 screws at front edge. Now you can see a clear route to send your cable over to the glovebox... I will try the coding tomorrow, wish me luck and let me know that fifth module if you can find it, please! This fun tonight just reinforced my admiration for the details and engineering in these cars. Truly a privilege to work on them.

djcwardog

Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 PM

It is CGATE, also I lusted CAUD above, it is actually CAUDI.