Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:19 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 2.0 Individual
Z3 cab : water from inside

I just found water on the floor behind my seat (mostly passenger). I thought it was my hard top that was improperly positioned. So I removed and same thing with avec the soft top. soft top is wet inside on the sides and I noticed, put me in the car when it rains, as water droplets forming on the species of seal that goes around the rear of car inside. I imagine that is the cause of my wet. I went on several topics and regularly people talks about the butyl join ... but if that was the case I do not think the water would come there. I just feel that the water that falls outside stagnated between the beltline (outside join) and the soft top and eventually cross the soft top in this area. perhaps it is simply a lack of étanchéit of the soft top. I had a pic but don't know how to join it. All your suggestions are welcome hurts me to see the water inside ... not to mention the consequences
thank you
fred
Ads by Google
Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
My understanding from this forum is that the étanchéité or sealing of the soft top around the belt line is done by the butyl tape. And water that leaks past this seal goes into the drain tubes. And if the tubes are plugged, the water then goes into the trunk and the battery well.
My understanding is that water on the floor must come from the doors, from a problem with the plastic sheet behind the door panel. The plastic sheet is attached to the door with butyl tape.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:50 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 2.0 Individual
THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE
no I was in the car when it rains. I saw water just above the black headband. sorry of not to can send you a pic (I don't know how to except if you have a personal mail to give me because I took some pics and I 'm very happy to share it with you in order to have your opinion)
perhaps the door panel join is not young but my water doesn't come from it because I don't have water above the footboard. If it was that, I would have water under and in front of my seats. I don't know if the drain holes are plugged because I don't know wher are they precisely, you know?
but I don't have water in the boot close to the battery (juste behind the seats on the carpet)
to see water in my car begins to exasperate me...
see you