Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 AM
everettpa1 everettpa1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 215
Mein Auto: 13 335i M Sp, 13 SubBRZ
I picked the 335i over all these cars!

I decided 2 months ago to replace my MB E550 4Matic Sedan. It is nearing the end of the CPO warranty and the car had numerous issues and I woouldn't ever want to own a Merc bare assed without a warranty.

I was 90%+ sure I was going German when I started and 90%+ sure I would stay in the Merc family.

This car needs to be a DD and will get about 15K miles per year. I have a BRZ which will get about 5K per year. Since I got the BRZ I've fallen in love with engaging lighter weight cars. But I want refinement and I need lots of engine shove.

So I went shopping.

Honda Accord Touring - I knew I couldn't ever buy an Accord but if I wasn't so demanding on a car this would be a great option. Honda has really stepped up it's game. Pretty sporty, nice tech, styling is good, and the thing actually makes nice noises. The 3.5L mill is just not quick enough however.

Cadillac ATS 3.6 - I was skeptical yet excited to drive a Caddy. First off, this car sticks out like a sore thumb in their lineup. And these cars are piling up on dealer lots. We all know it's supposed to be a 3 fighter. It is a nice car. Handling was very good. The 3.6 is good but not great. Decent exhaust sounds. Did not like the piano black interior and CUE is junk. Exterior styling is meh. Worst for me was the steering. I keep reading about how good the steering is but I've all the cars I drove this had the most slop. They are heavily discounted these cars for under $50K you can get nicely optioned. It's a nice effort by Caddy.

Lexus GS350 F Sport - Another car manuf I thought I never would try. In short, I like the styling and loved, loved the interior (best of any car I drove). Nice tech. I would have likely bought this car but for the outdated 3.5L mill and 6 speed auto. When the powertrain gets updated on this car, watch out. The bones are there.

Audi S6 - On paper this was the car for me. 400+ HP, lots of low end shove, great tech, great interior, so so styling. But man are Audis expensive! Best deal I could work was $72K for a nicely loaded example. In the end, I couldn't justify that coin for a very sedate looking sedan even though the engine is awesome. Much better than the 4.4L in the BMW. Tough decision.

Audi RS5 - If I didn't need 4 doors and need a usable back seat, I would be driving this car now. This car has the most presence of any car I have ever driven. Styling is awesome, interior is good but a little outdated on the 5 models now. The engine is freakin amazing. 450HP/317TQ and a high revver. It is disconcerting to drive at 7-8K RPM and have more left. And everybody must hear the exhaust bark when the car downshifts. It literally made me laugh every time. Alas, I'm not ready for this car now, but if I ever replace the BRZ this car will be at the top of my list.

Audi A7/S7 - So I liked the S6 and thought the 7 has more extreme styling and the same drivetrain. I really seriously considered this car. But I got turned off by how much you pay simply for the hatchback styling. It is a good 8k over the 6. Very nice car with a super interior and great tech.

MB C63 AMG - Had to try it knowing it wasn't feasible. Obviously a great car but I would never buy an RWD with this much grunt. The car I drove was a CPO with only 2K miles and already the back tires were looking like Kojak. Even with an LSD this car would spin out under medium throttle. I don't like the C class styling either, but what an engine. Any NA V8 is just cool.

MB E550 4Matic - This should have been easy. A simple upgrade to the new E from somebody who loves the E. I'm not in love with the W212 styling but worse the 4.6L engine suffers from lag and just doesn't have the low end shove I need.

BMW M3 - After driving the RS5, this car didn't have a chance. Obviously a great car, but if the RS didn't make sense this would make even less. When the M3 gets AWD at some point, and I'm ready for a new car, this would be at the top of my list.

And then I drove the 335i M Sport and 550i as I posted earlier.

I feel really good about my choice. It is relatively cheap, has the low end shove I want, is sporty and yet refined. I'm really excited to drive a Bimmer though I will miss the hunt for a new car. There is nothing as fun as researching a car, driving it, haggling with the dealer, etc.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 AM
LegendsNeverDie LegendsNeverDie is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 950
Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by everettpa1 View Post
I decided 2 months ago to replace my MB E550 4Matic Sedan. It is nearing the end of the CPO warranty and the car had numerous issues and I woouldn't ever want to own a Merc bare assed without a warranty.

I was 90%+ sure I was going German when I started and 90%+ sure I would stay in the Merc family.

This car needs to be a DD and will get about 15K miles per year. I have a BRZ which will get about 5K per year. Since I got the BRZ I've fallen in love with engaging lighter weight cars. But I want refinement and I need lots of engine shove.

So I went shopping.

Honda Accord Touring - I knew I couldn't ever buy an Accord but if I wasn't so demanding on a car this would be a great option. Honda has really stepped up it's game. Pretty sporty, nice tech, styling is good, and the thing actually makes nice noises. The 3.5L mill is just not quick enough however.

Cadillac ATS 3.6 - I was skeptical yet excited to drive a Caddy. First off, this car sticks out like a sore thumb in their lineup. And these cars are piling up on dealer lots. We all know it's supposed to be a 3 fighter. It is a nice car. Handling was very good. The 3.6 is good but not great. Decent exhaust sounds. Did not like the piano black interior and CUE is junk. Exterior styling is meh. Worst for me was the steering. I keep reading about how good the steering is but I've all the cars I drove this had the most slop. They are heavily discounted these cars for under $50K you can get nicely optioned. It's a nice effort by Caddy.

Lexus GS350 F Sport - Another car manuf I thought I never would try. In short, I like the styling and loved, loved the interior (best of any car I drove). Nice tech. I would have likely bought this car but for the outdated 3.5L mill and 6 speed auto. When the powertrain gets updated on this car, watch out. The bones are there.

Audi S6 - On paper this was the car for me. 400+ HP, lots of low end shove, great tech, great interior, so so styling. But man are Audis expensive! Best deal I could work was $72K for a nicely loaded example. In the end, I couldn't justify that coin for a very sedate looking sedan even though the engine is awesome. Much better than the 4.4L in the BMW. Tough decision.

Audi RS5 - If I didn't need 4 doors and need a usable back seat, I would be driving this car now. This car has the most presence of any car I have ever driven. Styling is awesome, interior is good but a little outdated on the 5 models now. The engine is freakin amazing. 450HP/317TQ and a high revver. It is disconcerting to drive at 7-8K RPM and have more left. And everybody must hear the exhaust bark when the car downshifts. It literally made me laugh every time. Alas, I'm not ready for this car now, but if I ever replace the BRZ this car will be at the top of my list.

Audi A7/S7 - So I liked the S6 and thought the 7 has more extreme styling and the same drivetrain. I really seriously considered this car. But I got turned off by how much you pay simply for the hatchback styling. It is a good 8k over the 6. Very nice car with a super interior and great tech.

MB C63 AMG - Had to try it knowing it wasn't feasible. Obviously a great car but I would never buy an RWD with this much grunt. The car I drove was a CPO with only 2K miles and already the back tires were looking like Kojak. Even with an LSD this car would spin out under medium throttle. I don't like the C class styling either, but what an engine. Any NA V8 is just cool.

MB E550 4Matic - This should have been easy. A simple upgrade to the new E from somebody who loves the E. I'm not in love with the W212 styling but worse the 4.6L engine suffers from lag and just doesn't have the low end shove I need.

BMW M3 - After driving the RS5, this car didn't have a chance. Obviously a great car, but if the RS didn't make sense this would make even less. When the M3 gets AWD at some point, and I'm ready for a new car, this would be at the top of my list.

And then I drove the 335i M Sport and 550i as I posted earlier.

I feel really good about my choice. It is relatively cheap, has the low end shove I want, is sporty and yet refined. I'm really excited to drive a Bimmer though I will miss the hunt for a new car. There is nothing as fun as researching a car, driving it, haggling with the dealer, etc.
Congrats on the new car! I really like the BRZ/FR-S myself and it would be nice to have one as a track/weekend toy. It would fit perfectly in my garage.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 AM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,740
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
You should have driven an Audi S4.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 AM
everettpa1 everettpa1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 215
Mein Auto: 13 335i M Sp, 13 SubBRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
You should have driven an Audi S4.
Don't like the look at all. I'm lukewarm on the 6 and the 4 is largely like a mini version of that.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-07-2013, 08:52 AM
BruceOmega BruceOmega is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alexandria VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 457
Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by everettpa1 View Post
..... MB C63 AMG - Had to try it knowing it wasn't feasible. Obviously a great car but I would never buy an RWD with this much grunt. The car I drove was a CPO with only 2K miles and already the back tires were looking like Kojak. Even with an LSD this car would spin out under medium throttle ......
FWIW, I read in a recent issue of Motor Trend that AMG will be offering AWD in its US market cars. AWD in the E based AMG was confirmed. AWD in the C based AMG was not yet confirmed but expected.


Quote:
Originally Posted by everettpa1 View Post
..... BMW M3 ..... When the M3 gets AWD at some point, and I'm ready for a new car, this would be at the top of my list .....
Given the AMG strategy of going with AWD, I'm curious to see how BMW responds / if BMW will offer AWD on M cars.


Bruce
__________________
2013 335i xDrive, Mineral Grey, Sportline, Black/Red leather, Dynamic Handling, Shockware, Sport AT, Performance Tires, Increased Top Speed, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, HK audio
2011 X3 35i, Titanium Silver, Black Nevada, Fineline Wave Wood, Premium, Technology, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Sport Activity, 19" wheels, Premium Hi-Fi, Sat Radio
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
everettpa1 everettpa1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 215
Mein Auto: 13 335i M Sp, 13 SubBRZ
AMG is going all AWD. They are missing out on many Northeast sales as a result and they know it. I presume M will do the same thing.

It just makes so much sense for high performance cars like this.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 AM
LegendsNeverDie LegendsNeverDie is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 950
Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by everettpa1 View Post
AMG is going all AWD. They are missing out on many Northeast sales as a result and they know it. I presume M will do the same thing.

It just makes so much sense for high performance cars like this.
I highly doubt M is going AWD. It adds weight and decreases fuel economy.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-07-2013, 09:52 AM
chris328's Avatar
chris328 chris328 is offline
unbekannt
Location: Hell
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros


you chose.... wisely
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-07-2013, 09:52 AM
chris328's Avatar
chris328 chris328 is offline
unbekannt
Location: Hell
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
I highly doubt M is going AWD. It adds weight and decreases fuel economy.
it wont, thats what the x5/x6 m are for.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 AM
everettpa1 everettpa1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 215
Mein Auto: 13 335i M Sp, 13 SubBRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
I highly doubt M is going AWD. It adds weight and decreases fuel economy.
When did an M buyer care about MPG?

When you're biggest competitors have AWD its in evitable.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-07-2013, 10:37 AM
408Racer's Avatar
408Racer 408Racer is offline
Life in da fast lane!
Location: Santana Row
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by everettpa1 View Post
MB C63 AMG - Had to try it knowing it wasn't feasible. Obviously a great car but I would never buy an RWD with this much grunt. The car I drove was a CPO with only 2K miles and already the back tires were looking like Kojak. Even with an LSD this car would spin out under medium throttle. I don't like the C class styling either, but what an engine. Any NA V8 is just cool.
First of all, good write-up and you did make a wise choice. Sounds like that C63 was ragged out, abused, rode hard and put away wet. My friend who has one and drives it like an M3 says he got about 10K out of his rear rubber...bald tires at 2K, wow...must've been one hell of a smoke show monster (or they swapped the good tires out...which is worse as they are selling it as CPO).

Anyway, this C63 guy bought his wife a 335 and he tells me that the 335 is like a junior C63 in character (lack of LSD notwithstanding) and he admits to tossing it around once in a while when he wants to get his Bimmer fix. When he drives the 335, he sometimes wonders why he needs the C63...that is, until he gets back in the AMG at which point he remembers exactly why he no longer owns an M3.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 AM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,740
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by everettpa1 View Post
Don't like the look at all. I'm lukewarm on the 6 and the 4 is largely like a mini version of that.
Looks are subjective but performance is not. The S4 performs great. In reading your write-up, it looks like money was the largest issue.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-07-2013, 11:27 AM
LegendsNeverDie LegendsNeverDie is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 950
Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by everettpa1 View Post
When did an M buyer care about MPG?

When you're biggest competitors have AWD its in evitable.
True, but If I wanted AWD in this class I would go with Quattro RS or even S models. Not sure what the benefits of AWD would be in the M. The weight of these cars is getting beyond ridiculous and with the added gadgets it only numbs the driving experience. I never had an opportunity to drive the C63 AMG but it looks like a blast.

One of my favorite Top Gear Videos:

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-07-2013, 11:27 AM
mr29 mr29 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ohio
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 574
Mein Auto: bmw
great write up here

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-07-2013, 12:17 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,736
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
No surprise here.
__________________
F30 335 Estoril Blue Msport with performance exhasut and black grilles
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-07-2013, 12:47 PM
akaMomo's Avatar
akaMomo akaMomo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 247
Mein Auto: 335i F30 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post

One of my favorite Top Gear Videos:

Thanks for making my morning. Well lunchtime. Whenever this is. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:04 PM
408Racer's Avatar
408Racer 408Racer is offline
Life in da fast lane!
Location: Santana Row
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaMomo View Post
Thanks for making my morning. Well lunchtime. Whenever this is. Thank you.
Here is the long version with extra funny bits:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/134-...t-1_187354.htm

http://www.streetfire.net/video/135-...t-2_187357.htm
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM
suneil suneil is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norwalk CT
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 158
Mein Auto: 2012 335i
just watch out for the electric fan issue that's plaguing the M Sports of late...
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance whore: PPK|Exhaust| BBK|Suspension|Black Kidney Grilles and CF Spoiler|Warrantied and Maintained until 2018!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 PM
LegendsNeverDie LegendsNeverDie is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 950
Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaMomo View Post
Thanks for making my morning. Well lunchtime. Whenever this is. Thank you.
Anytime!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
The AWD system in the Audi RS5 is the downfall of te car. The car becomes way to heavy and starts to understeer, which is a typical characteristic of Audi's when pushed har and having that engine sit so far up front.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-07-2013, 06:34 PM
krash's Avatar
krash krash is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,685
Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Congratulations!

Fantastic choice.

You're a genius just like me.
__________________
2013 335i: Sport Line, Premium, Technology, DHP, HK, 8 Speed Sport w/Paddles, Heated Seats, PDC, Camera
2004 330ci: zhp, premium, Dinan upgrades (various)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Dingers 335i Dingers 335i is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: F30 335i
So, did you pick up the new beem? Where are the pictures?


Congratulations!
__________________

F30 335i
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-08-2013, 06:26 AM
everettpa1 everettpa1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 215
Mein Auto: 13 335i M Sp, 13 SubBRZ
Here are some crappy iPhone ones. Love the car!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	361338   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	361339   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	361340  
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-08-2013, 07:25 AM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
I like the Red M3 in the background. :P Congrats!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-08-2013, 08:11 AM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,740
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Great pick up. I guess I am getting old as I didn't notice it before.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms