Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M5
Bilstein PSS Coilover Kit -- Issue?

My struts were overdue for replacement. I found this out a few days before a 1,100 mile roadtrip. The mechanic told me that I better sit down as he was ready to show me the estimate, meaning it was going to be expensive. But slowly I have grown immune to the costs associated with M5s. Anyhow I'll get to the point. He convinced me to get the Bilstein PSS coilover kit because it was cheaper than the factory replacement parts and it would anhance the handlingand looks. I decided he to go with his recommendation. When first driving the car with the new suspension, I was amazed at the precision and lack of body roll. (I thought the car didn't have any body roll before, but this was amazing!) I also thought the car looked amazing being closer to the ground. Then I got to the rough sections of highway near the city (of Knowville) and discovered it seems like there is not enough suspension travel for the uneven roads. When I hit certain bumps in the road, it makes a really loud thud noise when the bump stop is hit and the car shakes to the point where I think parts are going to start coming loose. It can't be healthy for the car, for sure.

Questions... (A) Will raising the car 20 mm correct this? There is allegedly only 20 mm of adjustment available. Does raising it increase the maximum amount of travel permitted in the shock??? (B) Is something wrong that the noise is loud when bottoming out? It seems too harsh as though the bump stop isn't there. (C) If this is not able to be corrected, what can I sell a PSS coilover kit for? LoL
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, 540i,Silverado
how much

you want? $500?

how long you had em?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 AM
Agnostic Priest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
New shocks are extra stiff until broken in. Give it 1000 miles before forming an opinion.
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs
Akebono=suck
ss braided brake lines

coming soon:

Jb lwfw

Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_i_k_e_79 View Post
My struts were overdue for replacement. I found this out a few days before a 1,100 mile roadtrip. The mechanic told me that I better sit down as he was ready to show me the estimate, meaning it was going to be expensive. But slowly I have grown immune to the costs associated with M5s. Anyhow I'll get to the point. He convinced me to get the Bilstein PSS coilover kit because it was cheaper than the factory replacement parts and it would anhance the handlingand looks. I decided he to go with his recommendation. When first driving the car with the new suspension, I was amazed at the precision and lack of body roll. (I thought the car didn't have any body roll before, but this was amazing!) I also thought the car looked amazing being closer to the ground. Then I got to the rough sections of highway near the city (of Knowville) and discovered it seems like there is not enough suspension travel for the uneven roads. When I hit certain bumps in the road, it makes a really loud thud noise when the bump stop is hit and the car shakes to the point where I think parts are going to start coming loose. It can't be healthy for the car, for sure.

Questions...
(A) Will raising the car 20 mm correct this?
There is allegedly only 20 mm of adjustment available.
Does raising it increase the maximum amount of travel permitted in the shock???

(B) Is something wrong that the noise is loud when bottoming out?
It seems too harsh as though the bump stop isn't there.

(C) If this is not able to be corrected, what price can I sell the Bilstein PSS coilover kit for?
LoL...
A. What were the requirements/ limits in lowering on the Coil-over directions...?

Yes, raising the car allows for more travel in the pistons because of the way the Bilstein Pss Coil-overs are designed, similar to my H&R coil-overs (single adjustable-height only)...

B. What you are describing (loud bang/ bottoming-out) is typical for the Bilsteins IMO.
It is because of Bilstein mono-tube gas shock/strut design.
The weather (either warm or cold out) effects how these dampers ride A LOT imo.
This is my guess...
When it is cold outside, the oil within the damper gets thick, and makes it hard for the piston to move freely.

IMO, the Bilsteins lack the ability to rebound over irregularities on the road.
They do not compensate over bumps well.
They will either get too stiff on some bumps, and too soft for others, thus, allowing the car to basically bottom out...
This might be fixed with a different set of springs with some higher spring rates, however, I am not sure, this is just a guess...

You could call Bilstein directly, and talk to engineer.

C. Regarding price to sell the PSS coil-overs...
It depends....
Mileage, condition, etc. ...
Since, you can buy these NEW for approximately $850.
I am going to guess you could sell them for around $450-$500...

Thanks!
Jason

Last edited by Jason5driver; 02-08-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
I want to chime in, because I have also Bilstein coilover kit installed on my car PSS9.
I haven't had bottoming out (yet), and there are some nasty bumpy roads around.

This leads me to believe that either:
  1. The coilover kit installed is not for the ///M specifically, or:
  2. There is an install issue along the lines Jason posted. When I installed the kit, the manufacturer (Bilstein) clearly noted what the Max & min setting is with a sketch that goes with those explanations.
P.S. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
IMO, the Bilsteins lack the ability to rebound over irregularities on the road.
They do not compensate over bumps well.
They will either get too stiff on some bumps, and too soft for others, thus, allowing the car to basically bottom out...
This might be fixed with a different set of springs with some higher spring rates, however, I am not sure, this is just a guess...

You could call Bilstein directly, and talk to engineer.
I beg to differ about the above comment. i haven't noticed any difference between winter and summer. And I never thought the ride is bumpy either. I think you make a confusion between the PSS and the sport shocks from Bilstein (the old ones).
We have some cold winters, and my car has yet to bottom out.........
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby

Last edited by doru; 02-08-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
I want to chime in, because I have also Bilstein coilover kit installed on my car PSS9.
I haven't had bottoming out (yet), and there are some nasty bumpy roads around.

This leads me to believe that either:
  1. The coilover kit installed is not for the ///M specifically, or:
  2. There is an install issue along the lines Jason posted. When I installed the kit, the manufacturer (Bilstein) clearly noted what the Max & min setting is with a sketch that goes with those explanations.
P.S. :

I beg to differ about the above comment. i haven't noticed any difference between winter and summer. And I never thought the ride is bumpy either. I think you make a confusion between the PSS and the sport shocks from Bilstein (the old ones).
We have some cold winters, and my car has yet to bottom out.........
Hey D...!

Your coil-overs are different...
They are double-adjustable.
Thus, the Pss9's are able to adjust to rebound and compression, I believe.
You are lucky...!
And, I am envious...

And, yes, my reference is to the sport shocks/ struts, and the single-adjustable Pss's, like my H&R's, which is what most people have experience with, since the Pss9/10's are considerably more expensive IMO.

And, it has been referenced a bit, not just by me, about the common complaints about the ride and effects of the Bilsteins, similar to what I described.

Thanks!
Jason

Last edited by Jason5driver; 02-08-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Hey Jason.
I understand now. Didn't realize the difference at first, but you pointed it out. I thought the OP had also PSS9 or similar. Overlooked the fact that there was a number missing. I actually went back and re-read the post.

I still think it's either wrong set of coilovers or maybe a bad install of some sort.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 02-09-2013, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: 540
Slow down over these bumps. Works for me.