Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 xDrive35d
Thanks, Quackbury for your input.

First of all, I do not think this is a weather related isssue as the error messsage has appeared in plus temperatures after the car has been on the road for a couple of hours.

From the explanation that was given to me my understanding is that it will be an auxillary coolant heating system which will keep on circulating heated coolant even when the car is parked. My fear is that such a system will drain out the battery unless the heater can be connected to external power source, much like a block heater. I think we need to wait to see "if" they actually launch it. At present it is just the "talk" from the service manager.

The dealer is asking me to bring the vehicle into the shop next week but is not providing what they actually plan to do. Perhaps they even do not know themselves and will simply clear the fault code and give the car back to me. I have serious doubt if they can do anything more. They perhaps will drag this out until the warranty runs out.

Last edited by RJ; 02-21-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
^ Sorry for your troubles RJ. What are you service records indicating btw. Are they just saying Customer had problem, we fixed, heres the parts cost, sign here?
Or are they detailing your issues? I would get a copy of all the records of work they have performed so far so you can see what they are doing vs what they say they are doing

It seems as they are just holding you until the warranty is runs out.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
^ Sorry for your troubles RJ. What are you service records indicating btw. Are they just saying Customer had problem, we fixed, heres the parts cost, sign here?
Or are they detailing your issues? I would get a copy of all the records of work they have performed so far so you can see what they are doing vs what they say they are doing

It seems as they are just holding you until the warranty is runs out.
They are detailing the issue as previously posted. I also agree that they are dragging their feet until the warranty runs out.

They are picking up my car tomorrow as the error message has come up again and they wanted to look at the car again. I asked them what they were planning to do as so many different components have been changed so far and no fix to the error message.

"Can you please explain to me clearly what work you are planning to do on the vehicle? Are you planning to replace any parts? If so, which part or parts you are planning to replace? How long will it take to carry out the work this time? Last time the car was in shop for a whole week.

Please provide this information to me so that I can understand the issue or issues better."

Their reply: (copied and pasted-note poor English or typo)

" Head office assign one of the engineers to your vehicle, He will be involve directly with our shop foreman xxxxxx xxxxxx to determent what is causing this problems. Parts will be replaced if required we donít know at this point till we figure it out. We can drop off a loner to your office and pick up your car if you donít have time please let me know ."

On another note-

Last night I took the car to a car wash which was the first time since I got the car back almost two weeks ago. As usual, I opened the hood to wipe of any excess water around the edges of the hood and discovered that while they had my car in the shop for a week waiting for the sensor, they would have stripped the plastic air intake part which is attached to the driver side kidney grill, which they must have put on the floor in the sand and grit. It has deep scratch marks on it now. They just put put it back and returned the car without telling me. I sent an e-mail to the Service manager and got a voice message that he was on his way to a meeting but will call me back.

If this service centre is so careless on the components that I can see, how do I expect them to fix what I cannot see?

Quality service does not exist any more no matter what you spend on your car.

The same cars that are sold in USA, are sold at a premium of $10-$15K more here. It goes same for other goods as well. Both Lexus and Acura models that are made in Canada cost less in USA than here by about $10K-$15K.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 AM

Just to update everyone who has been following this post...

The service manager came to my house with another employee to pick up my car and drop off a loaner vehicle on Saturday. They will be hooking up the computer and work remotely with a tech from BMW Canada.

I will let you guys know if they have found the cause of the problem.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
While I completely understand your frustration, I really do think the dealership is doing their best to resolve this. Ever had a friend or relative with a medical condition that was really hard to diagnose? (If not, Google Lyme Disease). With the complexity of modern vehicles, the fact that it is taking so long to trouble shoot and fix may indicate that you have had a really unusual part fail (or a combination of parts fail). 40 years ago, mechanics actually fixed things - cleaned and gapped spark plugs, jetted carbs, adjusted mechanical linkages, etc. No more. The 21st century approach is to just replace components. It sounds like BMW Canada has paid for you to have a LOT of new components, and I am sure they are almost as anxious as you are to get this resolved.

This difficult-to-diagnose problem is costing BMW Canada a lot of $$$, and it sounds like they have now opened a PUMA case on your vehicle. If the engineer can't rectify the problem, I expect the next step will be to offer you a trade assist. Hang in there.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 02-25-2013, 07:33 AM

To be honest Quackbury, I am at a loss to understand this as welland am of the same opinion. I again put it to the service manager, what is their next step (knowing they were not able to resolve this on two other vehicles that they replaced), if they have not definatively resolved the cause of the problem. He did not want to give a straight answer but said let them do the analysis and he will get back to me today. I told him that this is their "last kick at the can".
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 PM

An update

After two weeks (yes) of testing, the dealer has now informed me that they have concluded that the two "turbo's" have to be replaced. They have been ordered from Germany and will take two weeks to come.

The service manager did indicate that these will be an upgraded design and therefore should eliminate the problem. I am sceptical.

Last edited by RJ; 03-08-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
I hope there isn't a lot of problems in store for those people with the turbo engine!

I would assume a turbo engine is less reliable?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
I hope there isn't a lot of problems in store for those people with the turbo engine!

I would assume a turbo engine is less reliable?
The service manager has said they do not have these issues for the Europen models as they do not have all the additional emission control systems that have to be added for North American models. It looks like all the "bugs" in these additional components have not been fully "ironed" out yet.

They are great vehicles to drive but the numerous error messages, CEL, Urea tank replacements, fuel filter heater replacement, and my latest issue with having to replace the two turbos (waiting for it's arrival from Germany), leaves one to wonder on the long term reliability of these vehicles. Once out of warranty, how expensive will it be to maintain them?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 Diesel
Same issue

I have had the same issue and was advised it was the low pressure fuel sensor which was replaced today. Based on the posts here, I guess it is a wait and see if that solves the problem. Now that I know.... agree with ard get all the fault codes and diagnostic readings each and every time you get service.

One other thing, as per the dealership if you want the extended warranty, you need to get the inspection PRIOR to expiry of the existing warranty. Be advised should you want it.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009diesel View Post
I have had the same issue and was advised it was the low pressure fuel sensor which was replaced today. Based on the posts here, I guess it is a wait and see if that solves the problem. Now that I know.... agree with ard get all the fault codes and diagnostic readings each and every time you get service.

One other thing, as per the dealership if you want the extended warranty, you need to get the inspection PRIOR to expiry of the existing warranty. Be advised should you want it.
If you are out of warranty; you are out of luck. I now have my car after it being at the dealer from February 23 to March 18. I did not get a chance to update this thread until now.

"READ FAULT MEMORY. PERFORMED VARIOUS TEST PLANS FOR FAULT 4521 OVERBOOST. INCONCLUSIVE DUE TO SPORADIC NATURE OF FAULT.
COMPARED MAP. INTAKE PRESSURE(BOOST)AND CRANKCASE VACUM VALUES WITH ANOTHER X5. LEAK CHECKED VACUM LINES FOR TURBOS AND EGR. INTAKE/CHARGE AND EXHAUST SIDE OF TURBOS. REMOVED CHARGE PIPE AT THROTTLE AND INSPECTED FOR EXCESS CARBON. VACUM CHECKED AND MANUALLY MOVED WASTEGATE/TURBINE FLAP'S ACUTATORS. PERFORMED MULTIPLE SCOPE/GRAPH CHECKS OF INTAKE/BOOST SENSOR READINGS AT DME CONNECTOR AND FOR BRIEF PERIOD OF TIME SAW BOOST DROP ABNORMALLY. UPDATED PUMA CASE 53061140 / TC 53776153 AND ORDERED LARGE TURBO. REPLACED LARGE TURBO AND REPLACED LOW PRESSURE EGR VALVE DUE TO BRITTLE VACUM NIPPLE BREAKING OFF DURING REMOVAL.
CLEARED FAULT MEMORY. ROAD TEST GOOD.
CUSTOMER TO MONITOR."

11-71-7-809-775 GASKET STEEL
11-71-7-808-144 MUFFLER CLAMP
11-71-7-807-928 EGR VALVE
07-11-9-963-151 GASKET RING X 2
07-11-9-905-041 GASKET RING X 4
11-65--7-807-542 GASKET ASBESTOS FRE
18-30-7-793-678 GASKET
18-20-7-793-677 CLAMP
11-65-7-802-593 GASKET ASBESTOS FRE
11-71-7-809-743 GASKET STEEL
11-42-7-792-254 GASKET ASBESTOS FRE
11-42-2-246-091 GASKET ASBESTOS FRE
11-42-1-702-905 O-RING X2
11-71-7-808-144 MUFFLER CLAMP
07-11-9-908-067 0-RING
11-61-8-506-786 PREFORMED SEAL
11-65-7-795-047 0-RING X 2
33-30-6-772-888 HEX BOLT WITH WASHER X 6
07-14-7-029-829 HEX BOLT X 4
07-14-6-954-889 HEX SCREW WITH COLL X 4
11-65-7-809-863 AT-TURBO CHARGER
11-62-7-799-728 GASKET ASBESTOS FRE X 3
11-62-7-789-015 FLANGE NUT X 12
11-65-7-809-863 CORE RETURN
18-30-7-812-171 GASKET X 2
11-62-7-509-731 COLLAR NUT X 2
07-11-9-963-072 GASKET RING X 4
07-11-9-963-129 GASKET RING X 2
61-136-915-981 CABLE STRAP WITH BR X 4
11-42-1-702-905 0-RING X 2

ALL THE ABOVE UNDER WARRANTY

The SA gastimated that the cost without warranty would be in the range of $14-$15 K

Previously on Feb 8 the Boost Pressure sensor was replaced as it was found to be dirty
and brittle.

On Jan 25 all (three black, red and blue) vacuum hoses, and vacuum canister were replaced

On Dec 11 - As per PUMA case 53061140 only leaking intake pipes to turbo were replaced.

On Dec 20 - All three solenoids were replaced while vacuum hoses were backordered.

I hope this helps others who may have same issues with their vehicles.

In the short drives to work during this week the fault has not come up so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this the end of my saga. I will be taking a long 12 hour (and back) drive next week so I hope this issue can be well tested.

Last edited by RJ; 03-23-2013 at 12:48 PM.